TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Brandon

MLB 2K8 and MLB: The Show

I am trying to learn to take pitches alot more. It seems if you swing at everything, the computer figured that olut and just throws garbage 90% of the time. If you take some they tend to throw more in the zone. I tend to take the first pitch or two of every at bat and my hitting has gotten better.

I can't hit for shit. I'm 2-5. Advice?

Use guess pitch. I'll usually guess one pitch in one location for the whole at bat because that eliminates at least one thing they're going to throw. Try guessing fast ball at the bottom of the strike zone. IMO, it's easier to judge where a high ball is going than a low ball, so if I'm guessing the low pitch at least you know where it's going end up.

I've been playing the Show demo on PS3 and I've noticed that the computer very rarely reaches for pitches. You have to get it in the strike zone for them to even think about swinging at it.

I can't hit for shit. I'm 2-5. Advice?

Use guess pitch. I'll usually guess one pitch in one location for the whole at bat because that eliminates at least one thing they're going to throw. Try guessing fast ball at the bottom of the strike zone. IMO, it's easier to judge where a high ball is going than a low ball, so if I'm guessing the low pitch at least you know where it's going end up.

I thought you hated that feature because it made it too "easy"?

Did 2k also release a new version of the Bigs? I saw a 360 copy with Justin Morneau on the cover instead of Pujols.

No, they didn't. The Mornaeau cover is a special Best Buy edition that they sell due to their connection with the Twins. Every other version... copies sent to Gamestop, Circuit City and the like come with Pujols.

I got the show for ps2 after 3 years with 2k. The graphics on the players and stadiums are way better (well by ps2 standards) than 2k was. The first game I played I hit well, but after that I sucked and my pitchers did too. As I played more I got the hang of the controls more (though baserunning still gives me a problem) and hit better in my last game. I want to start a season, but I wanted to update the rosters, but I don't have a network adaptor for my old non-slim ps2, so I was trying to wait it out and manually enter any big moves made as the season starts in real life.

Anyone pick this up yet...i had been looking for a new baseball title this year..haven't played baseball game since like triple play days...since purchasing i've had 3 different people tell me about how realistic it looks, and i've really enjoyed just playing the game...having access to minor leaguers! thats insane to me...glad i copped it.

I bought the Show yesterday and played two games as the Reds. Lost an exhibition game 4-3 in the ninth to the Diamondbacks after a late rally when David Weathers lost composure.

I started a dynasty and won my first spring training game on veteran 12-2 over the Phillies as their pitchers had absolutley no control over the strike zone.

The game seems fluid enough but baserunning and the changes from MVP will take me a while to get down (like not having the strike zone visualized after the pitch gets thrown). Also, it seems every game takes a long time to play, like 1 hour and 1/2 for each game regardless of pressing "x" a lot to speed it up. What all does the fast play option cut out?

Guest Smues

I picked up 2K8 and the Show both when they came out, but I haven't even touched The Show yet due to my apathy towards the PS3. The only reason I even opened the box was to get my free hat of free hatness. 2K8 I have found highly enjoyable thus far. I suck at hitting, but I'm fairly good at pitching which results in a lot of tight low scoring games where every pitch counts. After turning off all the replays games only seem to take 30-40 minutes which I think is just about perfect for a baseball game. Being the creature of habit that I am though the first thing I did when starting the game besides turn off the replays was switch to classic hitting and pitching, so I really have no idea if the new systems for each are any good. What's everyone else think about them? Me, I'm perfectly happy with classic pitching and hitting, especially the pitching.

I was having the same problems with hitting, but then i saw this, dramatically improved my ability with the swing stick, and has made the game that much more enjoyable IMHO.

Guest Vitamin X

I think I've definitely got hitting and pitching down by now (in 2k8), it definitely took me a week or so to get used to it, but it's pretty fun this way, to have it be more challenging. I like there being a chance I could fuck up with the stick and accidentally bean a batter or two and throw some balls if I'm having a bad day throwing. I'm still struggling with the curveball at times, but I'm pretty sick with the fastball.

The one thing that is still a bitch for me is the fielding. I can never seem to do the right thing with throwing to a cutoff/relay man and then having him immediately throw it somewhere to make the play. The game explains it, but even though I hit RB and then the base, it still doesn't do it quite right. I've given up a few triples because of that where they should have been doubles at worst, or an out. It's pretty frustrating.

I think it'd be nice if they had some sort of practice mode so even casual gamers can get into it as well.

Total control fielding: To throw to the cut-off man (on 360) you hold the LT button and pick the base you're wanting to throw towards.

RB is for normal fielding, IIRC.

Well Homer Bailey sucked it up in spring training for the Reds like he did in real life so I have to give MLB the Show credit for that.

For some reason I am seeing the ball much better in this game than in the MVP games. My reflexes are much better when deciding when to lay off of pitches or when to try to put them in play. I'm 4-1 in spring training with the Reds (just lost 8-7 to the Jays thanks to Mr. Bailey).

Question, is there any way to make the computer throw less balls? Or anywhere in the sliders I should say. (MLB 2k7, but I figure it's probably the same)

Because the fuckin computer seems to throw an extreme amount of balls, and I'm talking in the dirt, or just nowhere near the plate. And even when I can clearly see this, it's my natural reaction to swing the stick, and I can't really stop my finger. And it's getting really annoying, because most of my strikes are just at horrible pitches.

Yeah, just gotta go the sliders option and change it up.

I think its in either game settings or one of the VIP settings, I can't remember which.

On the Show is there any way to change the amount of stolen bases the computer puts up during the simulated season? The numbers in my season are off the hook. It is early August and Reyes has 80 already.

Just have to adjust the sliders for both of your cases.

Where you find the general set of "rules" for the CPU, turn down its baserunning aggresiveness along with their stealing aggresiveness..should help cut down the steals.

Has anyone downloaded the roster updates for MLB 2k8...i heard they were out this week, but i havent had a chance to play (damn work messing up my gaming habit)..

I currently have a season where lastings milledge is 40/40...in the last week of July...damn this game is fun.