TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

NCAA Tournament Pick'Em.

Guest Beastalentier
Kingofthe909 versus Diamonddust in an epic fight to the death for office-pool supremacy!

Guest Beastalentier

Behold the most useless collection of posts anywhere on this board.

Guest Beastalentier
heh..ravens

Probably Leena.

EDIT: This thread and the other one made more sense before all of Leena's posts got zapped.

Ive got Memphis vs UCLA and Tennessee vs Georgetown in the final 4 with Memphis beating Tennessee in the Championship.

Upsets

#13 San Diego over #4 UConn

#12 W. Kentucky over #5 Drake

(and they'll play each other)

I had a couple others but anyway

I'm in as Nate The Great, here are my upset picks:

#13 Winthrop over #4 Washington State

#11 St Joseph over #6 Oklahoma

#13 Siena over #4 Vanderbilt

#14 Cornell over #3 Stanford

#13 San Diego over #4 UConn

Final Four:

UNC over Kansas

Texas over UCLA

UNC beats Texas 76-69

I re-edited my picks

Major upsets

West. Kentucky (12) to the Sweet 16 over Drake and UConn - a stretch to see them beat the Huskies but Im going with em.

Kentucky (11) to the Sweet 16 over Marquette and Cornell - Kentucky has played well recently and benefits from Stanford losing to Cornell.

Davidson (10) to the Sweet 16 over Gonzaga and Georgetown - longest winning streak in the country going into the tourney (vs crappy teams but anyway..)

Perdue (6) to the Final 4 over Baylor, Xavier, WV and UCLA - they're better than Baylor and Xavier and will benefit from WV upsetting Duke...its a stretch for them to beat UCLA but I'll go with em.

But I still have Memphis vs Tennessee in the final.

I tried to go upset happy last year. It failed, miserably, as there were very few upsets in the first round last tourney. I finished 15th of 50, but that isn't good enough for me. Just some tips...

I don't put teams lower than a 4 seed in the Elite Eight.

2 double digit seeds in the Sweet 16. One other lower than a 5.

All 1 seeds get picked to go to the Elite Eight. Conversely, only pick against a 1 or 2 in the second round if they're Duke.

Don't try to be smart and pick multiple upsets. You really aren't that smart. That's why your bracket gets busted every year. Better to be conservative and have a few 1-4 seeds bust out than to get cute with multiple lower seeded teams in the Sweet 16 and watch your bracket fall all the way to the bottom of the standings, subsequently becoming one to be mocked and laughed at. Don't pick teams because you "like them." Fuck that. Use your brain. If nobody's picking a team, you shouldn't either.

If this comes off as too competitive, well, it is. I want to win. At everything. If you tried to come off as preachy with upset specials and had a terrible bracket, I will mock you.

EDIT: Ok, now find out which parts of that post were serious, and which weren't.

Are you sure about that? Nate the Great says to pick multiple upsets! I'm conflicted, King. Too many people claim to be experts on something that's completely arbitrary. On the same token, too many people have irrational reasoning for their questionable selections. Does anyone else have that guy at work/class who looks at multiple copies of bracket sheets throughout the day and tries to reason every single minute detail of every potential game? Of course you do, we all do.

When I was in high school, I used to be one of those guys who would do exactly as you mentioned. I was fixated on winning my school's group on the ESPN Challenge where you would submit four brackets, but of course, I never did.

I tend to pick higher seeds unless there's an outlying issue with a team I feel isn't tested for the tournament. Double digit seeds are double digit seeds for a reason.

Things like this are as far as my upset theories go, and I only use it in one or two special cases. Take Oklahoma. Has not beaten a team seeded higher than themselves. They're not even in the top 100 in FG%. Seen them play multiple times, and they failed to impress every single time. One player team. Gone in first round. Keep everything simple as possible, without over-analyzing. Chances are that guys like Hubert Davis only know as much about the majority of teams as you do, so sure as hell don't listen to them.

I occasionally gamble and put in money brackets at my dad's work, but not this time around. I suppose you could say all the above tips are for the obsessive gambler.

BTW, this was the only non-serious part of what I said.

If this comes off as too competitive, well, it is. I want to win. At everything. If you tried to come off as preachy with upset specials and had a terrible bracket, I will mock you.

I'm competitive, but I'm not batshit insane like that. I don't claim to be an expert, but those who do and make upset picks that incline that they are an expert fail at this, miserably. Honestly, I haven't seen Cornell play a single fuckin' time. The Ivy League doesn't have a conference tourney. I bet only one or two people on this board have seen Cornell, if that. So why the hell would you pick them to beat Stanford? I laugh at stuff like that, just felt like pointing it out this once.

Here's my results.

UNC over Louisville

Wisconsin over Kansas (which means Wisconsin will lose in the second round, like they always seem to when I pick them to go far)

Memphis over Stanford (I originally had Stanford here, but I chickened out and changed it to Memphis)

UCLA over Duke

UNC over Wisconsin

UCLA over Memphis

UCLA over UNC, 81-72

K-State, Kentucky, and Davidson as my upsets.

EDIT: And St. Mary's. And Kent State, if you really consider a 9 seed an upset.

Edited by alfdogg

A 9 over an 8 isn't an upset.

My bracket:

EAST

North Carolina over Arkansas

Notre Dame over Winthrop

Oklahoma over Louisville

Tennessee over Butler

North Carolina over Tennessee

SOUTH

Kansas over Kent State

Vanderbilt over Clemson

Wisconsin over USC

Davidson over Georgetown

Kansas over Wisconsin

MIDWEST

Memphis over Oregon

Pittsburgh over Michigan State

Stanford over Marquette

Texas over St. Mary's

Texas over Memphis

WEST

UCLA over BYU

Drake over Connecticut

Xavier over Purdue

Duke over West Virginia

UCLA over Xavier

CHAMPIONSHIP

North Carolina over UCLA

Memphis Marv? Them being horrible at free throws is going to bite them in the ass.

No it's not mole. Not at all.

Memphis shot 70% in the C-USA Tourney. The players down the stretch likely to have the ball, Derrick Rose and Chris Douglas-Roberts, both can shoot free throws.

No one else in their bracket shoots free throws that well either, with Pittsburgh, Texas and Stanford all shooting below 70 percent.

How much pressure did they have on them in those games, though? I wonder how well they'll shoot in a very close game against a top team. They didn't get anything even resembling a good game in the C-USA tournament.

They kept Southern Miss hanging around longer then they should've, but the other two were pretty cut and dry.

CDR shot 68 percent from the stripe this year, and Derrick Rose shot 70 percent. I don't think it will be that big of an issue, especially in that bracket

There's a lot of chalk on my bracket. If you look at last the couple of years, it appears that the number of big upsets is down. I expect this to continue. This isn't like the old days when 12/5 upsets happened routinely because good mid-majors were being matched up against flawed teams from big conferences. Everyone knows about the Butlers and Gonzagas of the world. Yeah, upsets are still going to happen, but I'm not going to bust my bracket for the opportunity to have bragging rights by picking Siena.