TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Sell me on Battlestar Galactica

I keep hearing great things about this show. I love Buffy, Firefly, Dexter, The Wire, Angel, Jeremiah, Oz, and a bunch of other crap. What am I missing out on?

I keep hearing great things about this show. I love Buffy, Firefly, Dexter, The Wire, Angel, Jeremiah, Oz, and a bunch of other crap. What am I missing out on?

It's probably more like Babylon 5 than what you've listed there.

Regardless, I think that watching the miniseries is the best way to sell you on BSG. If you like that, you'll like everything else. If you're not sold, well, that's only 3 hours out of your life.

It's probably more like Babylon 5 than what you've listed there.

Regardless, I think that watching the miniseries is the best way to sell you on BSG. If you like that, you'll like everything else. If you're not sold, well, that's only 3 hours out of your life.

I agree with this. I love the show, I think it's the best drama on television and one of the best true science fiction shows ever. But taste is unique to everyone and I hate trying to sell people on something they might not connect with on a taste level.

I'm a huge Whedon fan, but I don't think it's really like Whedon's work much at all. It's in the general realm, but it's not quite his style.

But it's good.

It's damn good.

Just start at the beginning objectively. If it doesn't grab you then it doesn't grab you. If it does... welcome.

I have to say that about a year ago, or so, I was asking friends to recommend me a new "genre" television show because I was sick of Lost, and I think at the time Heroes was hitting a bit of a low point. Well, they all recommended BSG and I haven't turned back since. I'm in the middle of Season 3 right now and loving it. :)

If you like the angst in Whedon shows, shows like LOST, Heroes, The Wire, even the noirish parts of Veronica Mars, or ever imagined Babylon 5 with a budget and real polish and actually good actors. I honestly cannot see how you could not like BSG. It's that f'ing good. I rank it second to only The Wire as best on TV. Adama is one of the great quiet badasses of television. Just watch the video they posted there. Even Joss orgasms over this show.

I agree with what the others said. Watch the mini-series, its the first disc of the Season 1 set i believe, just mosey on to blockbuster or netflix or whatever and start. If you're remotely into it watch the first two episodes, "33" and "Water". By then, you should know.

Here's a cool promo they aired before Season 1. Not a bad representation of the tone:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jkzOt-hQsPA