TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Affliction - Banned: Fedor vs. Sylvia

From MMAjunkie.com

FSN to carry "Affliction: Banned" preliminary card

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on May 21, 2008 at 11:18 am ET

The entire fight card for the July 19 "Affliction: Banned" card will be televised thanks to a new deal the upstart fight promotion has reached with FSN.

The main card of the event, which takes place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., airs via pay per view, and the night's preliminary card will now air on FSN, a collection of cable TV regional sports networks located throughout the U.S.

MMAjunkie.com's official radio partner, TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), first reported the FSN deal last week, and Affliction officials confirmed it during yesterday's public events in Los Angeles and New York City.

Affliction's debut features a main event of former PRIDE title-holder Fedor Emelianenko vs. UFC champ Tim Sylvia, as well as an undercard full of familiar names. Just yesterday the organization announced the addition of Paul Buentello vs. Aleksander Emelianenko to the fight card.

Affliction also recently announced the signing of former PRIDE fighter Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (13-3), the twin brother of current UFC interim heavyweight champ Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

:headbang:

Rumors are that Vernon White pissed hot at a recent show and he's off the card. Hopefully they can find a replacement for Rogerio in time.

White sucks but at least he's exciting to watch. Hopefully they can find a suitable replacement and not someone who will just get subbed in thirty seconds.

Unfortunately, they weren't. Edwin Dewees will be moving up in weight to get subbed in 30 seconds. I mean, if Trigg can run through him in less then 2 minutes I literally expect Nog to take him out in under 30.

I'm thinking Dewees circles for at least 10 seconds before Rog lands the takedown. Then again, it took his brother all of 10 seconds to sweep and choke out Timmy so we may be looking at under 20 seconds total.

Unfortunately, they weren't. Edwin Dewees will be moving up in weight to get subbed in 30 seconds. I mean, if Trigg can run through him in less then 2 minutes I literally expect Nog to take him out in under 30.

What will we say if it takes Nog longer to sub Dewees than it took Leben (3:26)?

I agree. I just wanted to point that out because you know it'll come up at some point, and someone will use MMAth to conclude that Leben is a better sub artist than Little Nog.

I agree. I just wanted to point that out because you know it'll come up at some point, and someone will use MMAth to conclude that Leben is a better sub artist than Little Nog.

We in the fighting business call these people retards.

I don't think it's that people think Sylvia will put up a fight, I think it's the fact that it's the 1st time in years that Fedor has faced a top 10 HW, where as Sylvia has been active fighting some of the best in the world. Cage/Ring rust could be a factor... I see Sylvia giving Fedor problems for like the 1st few miniutes, but once Fedor gets comfortable it's over for Timmy.

Could go a few ways...

I could see Fedor giving Tim a lot of respect... a hell of a lot and this thing lasting a lot longer than it should. But then Tim would use that to his advantage and try to fight his kind of fight, and I could see Fedor quickly subduing that plan and picks up a victory by submission.

Tim has everything that could cause Fedor fits and could very well end up taking it to a decision, though I think this is HIGHLY unlikely. Sylvia has more of a chance catching Fedor with a lucky strike than some great counter that Fedor has left himself open for. But he wouldn't be able to finish him.

There's also the likely outcome of Fedor easily taking care of Tim by taking him to the ground and having his way with him.

It all depends on what Fedor wants to do.

With that said...

LET"S GO SYLVIA!

Fedor needs to play this smart. His strategy will all depend on what Sylvia does. If it's evident that Sylvia plays on jab-pawing his way through the fight Fedor will be a bit more open with the stand-up. If Tim comes out with intensity and power I'd expect Fedor to immediately shoot for a clinch.

Sylvia won't KO Fedor. I'm about as close to 100% sure as I can be.

Most of Sylvia's more famous KO's have come from overwhelming the opponent, a freak punch (Arlovski 2 is a good example. Arlovski's momentum + Well placed punch = KO) or something out of the blue (Tellingman high kick KO for instance).

That being said, Sylvia has been LOCKED with his fighting style since Arlovski 3 back over two years ago. And I don't see him changing up his gameplan to fight the man who was once considered the greatest fighter on earth.

Sylvia is going to look to out point Fedor. He's going to try to hide behind his range and score when Fedor cannot. He showed no visible change in style after Couture completely exposed his style. I cannot possibly see him changing it.

In Sylvia's mind, I can bet that his thoughts are that if he beats Fedor by ANY MEANS, that'll make him the #1 best heavyweight in the world. That's his thinking. Be it KO, sub, TKO, decision, it doesn't matter. He's going to win, and if it means he's going to have a shitty fight, well that's too bad.

The problem is, Fedor is as smart as Randy Couture and far more dangerous standing. On the ground it could be a wash (I'd still say Fedor personally), but standing Fedor is very capable of KO's. I figure this fight will go almost exactly like the opening minute of Couture/Sylvia did. Sylvia will land a few jabs, Fedor will figure out the mental calculations, and then *WHAM* overhand right directly to the chin when Sylvia shoots in for a jab. Unlike the fight with Couture, I don't think Sylvia survives. He'll crumble, and Fedor will pounce. If I had to make a prediction, I'd say Fedor TKO Round 1.

On paper, there is *nothing* that Sylvia is better then Fedor at. His size is his only advantage, and on the ground, size is a gigantic disadvantage. Big limbs allow easier submissions. If Sylvia can avoid the ground, he probably does have a chance at out-pointing Fedor, or maybe even KO, who knows. Fedor's had atomic bomb shots dropped on him, and not fallen. I dunno what Sylvia could throw that Fedor can't survive. But the possibility is always there. If the fight hits the ground, be it a takedown from Fedor or him pulling guard like he did with Choi, unless Sylvia is damn smart, he'll get pummelled or submitted.

That being said, there is a HUGE X factor here. That being recent activity. Sylvia fought Nogueira earlier this year. You have to go back to December 06 to find anyone who might be in the top ten for Fedor. Fedor could be rusty. If he is, Sylvia will win.

That being said, my official prediction is Fedor wins in the first round. Either TKO, or submission.

I had a nightmare last night that everybody had come over to my place for the PPV and I couldn't find it on the television guide. I actually woke up thinking I'd missed the whole fucking thing.

So Affliction cracked the glass on the case surrounding their backup fighter in case Aleks didn't get cleared and we now get Gary Goodridge vs Buentello on the undercard. Different opponent but I still expect the same type of fight.

My local FSN isn't carrying the undercard. Boo. Because I live in NY I only get one FSN because I get both the damn Mets and Yankees TV networks. Oh well. Still 7 hours of MMA tonight if I have it in me to watch both back to back.

Bas and Kenny are actually going to be in Japan, I think...instead of just calling it from a studio in LA. Inside MMA next week is being taped in Japan as well.