TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Affliction - Banned: Fedor vs. Sylvia

I want to see Barnett/Fedor more so then Arlovski/Fedor...

Barnett/Fedor is a dream fight of mine for the longest time, and I still believe to this day, Barnett has the best chance at beating Fedor.

Barnett/Fedor would be badass.

Big Timmy sure has talked a lot about how he could beat Fedor in the past, and then he was just completely humbled. I loved it.

I forgot to mention some of the pseudo-PRIDE aspect of things I enjoyed like the fighters coming down at the beginning and also the confetti explosion at the end. The MMAJunkie article on the show made it seem like the attendance was pretty high in comparison to UFC running California and that the closed-circuit orders were solid. Too bad they likely lost their shirt on fighter pay and God knows what else.

afflictionsalaries.jpg

Affliction salaries were 3.3 million. 3x higher than ANY show the UFC has ever put on.

And I also don't think Fedor's salary is correct. No way he only got paid 300k when Dana definitely offered much more than that.

800k for Sylvia, 750k for Arlovski, 300k for Lindland. I wouldn't be surprised if that Fedor number is actually 1.3M to push it to 4.3 million.

I just rewatched the fight.

I thought it was funny that Sylvia tried to clinch with Fedor and basically thought he was just going to overpower him like he does everyone else and then Fedor just started blasting him. Big Timmy tried to use his size to bully someone again and got bitch slapped.

Question: Why did affliction decide to go PPV with their first show? Was it merely because it was a pretty stacked card? Was it the only way possible to try and recoup money spent on making the show happen?

300,000 for Lindland is somewhat shocking but I'm happy he got this kind of payday. If Vitor has anything close to his ability at his peak he could be making similar money in no time.

Question: Why did affliction decide to go PPV with their first show? Was it merely because it was a pretty stacked card? Was it the only way possible to try and recoup money spent on making the show happen?

Live Gate: $2,085,510

Salaries: $3,332,100

Net: -$1,246,590 (!!)

So, yeah, I think they needed the PPV. They probably needed around 25,000 buys to make up that difference, and that doesn't even factor in arena rentals, production costs and whatever they paid Fedor under the table.

300,000 for Lindland is somewhat shocking but I'm happy he got this kind of payday. If Vitor has anything close to his ability at his peak he could be making similar money in no time.

Seriously? You think Lindland is the type of fighter to justify that kind of a payday, especially given his performance? Top UFC guys like GSP and Liddell sometimes don't pull in that kind of cash.

easier to read

The total disclosed payroll for the event was $3,332,100.

The full list of salaries included:

Fedor Emelianenko: $300,000 (no win bonus)

def. Tim Sylvia: $800,000

Andrei Arlovski: $750,000 (includes $250,000 win bonus)

def. Ben Rothell: $250,000

Josh Barnett: $300,000 (no win bonus)

def. Pedro Rizzo: $70,000

Mark Hominick: $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)

def. Savant Young: $7,000

Renato "Babalu" Sobral: $90,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)

def: Mike Whitehead: $50,000

Matt Lindland: $300,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus)

def. Fabio Nascimento: $20,00O

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: $50,000 (no win bonus)

def. Edwin Dewees: $15,000

Mike Pyle: $20,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)

JJ Ambrose: $5,000

Ray Lizama: $3,000

vs. Justin Levens: $6000*

Vitor Belfort: $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus)

Terry Martin: $30,000

Paul Buentello: $80,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)

vs. Gary Goodridge: $25,000

---------

Ok, I'm cool with Fedor getting $300k and Timmay making more, he's the bigger name in the US. But how Lindland got a base 225k and Rothwell got 250 is beyond me

Ok, I'm cool with Fedor getting $300k and Timmay making more, he's the bigger name in the US. But how Lindland got a base 225k and Rothwell got 250 is beyond me

Especially when you consider that the UFC has zero interest in Lindland. There was really no competition for the guy.

There's some shocking payouts on the undercard too. $50K for Mike Whitehead and $30K for Terry Martin to show? That's just crazy, but hey, good for them.

Yeah, I'm all for the guys getting paid, but what could Terry top at in the UFC 10k MAYBE without a win. They'll get people wanting to fight for them, but I dunno if they can afford to keep doing this

That would please me greatly.

If Fedor wants to fight in October - Randy's not going to be legally able... so it's going to be one of the other two.

But a source told NBCSports.com that Emelianenko received a sizable part of his Affliction contract up front in the form of a signing bonus, and added that Emelianenko also owns the rights to his fight footage in several European countries. That second part may not mean much right now but if Affliction chooses to hold an event in Europe, they would have to pay him for the footage.

So yeah, he's way plus 300k.

Looks like Fedor/Arlovski is in question right now. Fedor injured his right hand while destroying Big Timmy and is medically suspended for 180 days so that likely means he won't be able to train in time for the fight.

Affliction will be holding a press conference in Vegas on Aug 6th to discuss the October show. In what cannot be any kind of a coincidence Tito Ortiz's no-compete clause in his UFC deal expires August 3rd so it's expected that we'll see Affliction announce Babalu vs Tito for the show in the fall, possibly now as the new main event with Fedor/Andrei being shaky.