TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Favorite Build-ups?

So what are you favorite build ups to a match? I got a few more I can name, but the one I currently remember is the Warrior-Savage Summerslam 92 storyline. The who sold out part was great, I just wish Warrior had gone with the heel turn. It would've made more sense and actually given it a build up.

Other build-ups I liked were of course Austin-Rock X-7 and Michaels-Hart Survivor Series 97.

Austin Rock X-7 was a pretty good buildup, aside from the Debra stuff. Austin kept stunning the Rock to end every Raw and when Rock Stunnered Austin it was awesome.

Austin vs Triple H 2001 had a great buildup. The video package for No Way Out 2001 is tremendous.

I'm going to add more later.

I think the build up to WrestleMania 4 was pretty intense. I watched the entire saga recently and would have to say that this is the most dramatic storyline the WWF wrote in that entire era, even more so than the Mega-Powers explosion or the Ultimate Challenge. The Million Dollar Man said he was going to buy the World title and when Hogan refused to sell out, he enlisted the services of Andre. After several attacks on Hogan, Andre gets a shot on SNME. Andre ends up winning the title thanks to a crooked ref and Dibease's folding green. When the Giant forfeits the title to Dibease, Jack Tunney steps in and declares the title vacant. This sets up the WrestleMania 4 tournament. I thought Hogan's reaction after losing the title on SNME was oscar worthy.

Most of these are quite good, but how about the build to Austin/UT for SummerSlam 1998? In fact that whole summer in 1998 was just awesome and well booked.

You liked the very unnecessary Debra-centric build to Rock/Austin at X7? Well alright...

It wasn't Debra-centric. Debra was involved in the feud simply to further the tension, but she wasn't the centrepiece of the feud.

In hindsight, it was horrible. The Rock kept getting his ass handed to him... and got his ass handed to him at Mania. They're fortunate he is bulletproof. Otherwise that would just kill him.

No, it wasn't. Austin kept stunning Rock, but couldn't put him away, and Rock left the final message by laying him out with his own finishing move. It showed that Rock couldn't be beat, and that Austin needed to sink to do everything he could to win the WWE title.

Remember that face to face interview, Austin said: I need to beat you Rock, more than anything that you could imagine.

He didn't get his ass handed to him- he kicked out of the Stone Cold Stunner, and Austin only survived Rock's finishers because of interference. Austin only was able to win after he destroyed with The Rock with chairshots.

I loved the build up for Tommy Dreamer's first defeat of Raven. They weaved in and out of their feud, which kept it fresh. Tommy's final match and victory against Raven was a payoff that I was waiting for well over a year for.

Sabu vs. Taz

This.

I also really liked the build-up to:

- Bret vs. Austin at Survivor Series 1996

- Austin vs. The Rock at WrestleMania XIX

- Bret vs. Owen at WrestleMania X

- Ted DiBiase vs. Virgil at WrestleMania VII

- Jericho vs. Malenko at Slamboree '98

- Taz vs. Douglas at Guilty as Charged '99

- Michaels vs. Flair at WrestleMania XXIV

Cactus Jack vs. HHH at the 2000 Royal Rumble.

The angle of Mankind coming down to the ring on Smackdown, saying he won't be able to participate in the match, Hunter looking all smug, Foley then saying he has a replacement, and bam... taking the mask and shirt off to turn into Cactus Jack is one of my all time favorite angles. HHH's facial expression once Cactus is revealed is priceless.

Putting the Cactus Jack character into the street fight made the match that much more important, and it did wonders for HHH's credibility.

I think Bret Hart was one of the best at building up his matches.

Bret vs Owen Summerslam 94: This was a well executed long term buildup .. using every ppv to build this up. Survivor Series 93: Owen is jealous that he is the only eliminated member. RoyalRumble: Brets inury costs Owen a shot at his first wwf title. WM: Owen wins a stunner but is still pissed after bret wins the title and wont congratulate him kotr: owen wins the tourney and makes sure bret keeps the title by dq. .. plus the involvment and neidhart and the entire hart family.

Bret vs Michales survivor series 97: year and a half in the making. the genuine disgust bret showed towards michaels, combined with him leaving the company and the ppv in canada where he didnt want to drop the belt. . .

bret vs austin wm 13: one of the most intense and "realistic" looking feuds. .combined with a submission stipulation made it very unpredictable

bret vs flair souled out 98: they had some great in ring interviews with each other both claiming to be the best ever

The build up to any Bret/Austin match... That whole feud was amazing.

The Rock/HHH build to Summerslam 1998, Backlash 2000, and Judgement Day 2000. At those points were the hottest points of their feud.

The Rock/Angle build to No Mercy 2000, including Angle's Weird Al-like interview with The Rock on Sunday Night Heat before No Mercy 2000, that was great.

Angle/Austin build to Summerslam 2001, very intense feud at that point. The crowd really got behind Angle, it was the 1st time he was ever a face.

Michaels/Vader build to Summerslam 1996, they built Vader as a monster and as a kid I was scared that Vader was going to take the title.

MVP/Benoit build to Judgement 2007... Although everyone likes to forget everything involving Benoit, this feud got people thinking that MVP was going to become a future World Champion.

Jericho/HHH build to Fully Loaded 2000, Jericho's 1st high profile feud.

Wow, too many here. Personal favorite of each era in bold (Classic, New Generation, Attitude, Entertainment)

Hogan / Andre - Wrestlemania 3 (I thought Hulkamania was over)

Hogan / Savage - Wrestlemania 5 (a year long story told)

Hogan / Warrior - Wrestlemania 6 (the build-up and match itself were epic)

Savage / Flair - Wrestlemania 8 (unforgettable)

Hart / Michaels - Wrestlemania 12 (remarkable storytelling from both sides)

Stone Cold / The Undertaker - SummerSlam 1998 (a three month build-up that ended perfectly)

Stone Cold / The Rock - Wrestlemania 17 (Really good stuff especially with My Way)

Stone Cold / Kurt Angle - SummerSlam 2001

Lesnar / Undertaker - Unforgiven 2002 (one of the best feuds ever)

Michaels / Jericho - Wrestlemania 19 (fan vs. role model at its finest)

Angle / Lesnar - SummerSlam 2003 (How it should've been at WM 19)

Angle / Michaels - Wrestlemania 21 (battle to be the best)

The Royal Rumble 2005 (nostagliac video package with a cool song)

Hogan / Michaels - SummerSlam 2005 (HBK back where he belongs)

Batista / Undertaker - Wrestlemania 23 (I actually thought it was over for Taker here)

Hardy / Orton - Royal Rumble 2008 (one of the best underdog stories)

Ive loved many build-ups, but my favorite build-up had to be Sting/Hogan for Starrcade 97.

SS 98 with Austin-Taker was the first that came to mind.

But, and it's probably slanted given how unreal the match was, but Austin-Bret; Even Todd Pettengill couldnt derail this.

97/98 had some good build ups. As much of a clown Vince Russo is, there were some pretty well planned out storylines during that era.

Undertaker versus Kane leading up to WrestleMania 14. The seed of Undertaker having a brother was planted in May of 97 and Kane didn't debut until Badd Blood in October. Kane started destroying superstars and even took the Undertaker out of action in January. After refusing to fight his "brother", Taker came back in March and was ready to do what he really didn't want to do.

Michaels/Undertaker Badd Blood was set up with 2 straight PPVs. SummerSlam 97, costing Taker the title...the formation of DX and then the no contest at Ground Zero set up the first Hell in the Cell match. Also, the set up for the blowoff casket match at the Rumble 98 was great.

The Triple H/Rock feud and the Shamrock/Owen feud actually started off as Rock/Shamrock and Owen/HHH. It started when Rock was helping out Owen against HHH, but got to the point where Rock and HHH were more annoyed with each other instead of the guy HHH was originally feuding with (Owen). Same goes for Owen and Shamrock.

Owen Hart v Bret Hart has to be my all time favorite though 1994 was the year I first really took an interest in wrestling, and my earliest memory of any match was Owen Hart, sweeping the leg away from under Bret Hart. So yeah, 1994 Owen Hart v Bret Hart year long feud gets my vote as all time build up.

The best for me has to have been the buildup to The Megapowers Explode. OOG said it already -- it was absolutely perfect from start to finish. The entire Flair/Savage saga, from before WrestleMania with the "She was mine before she was yours" angle and then inserting Warrior after WrestleMania, would be a close second.

There was a series of YouTube videos detailing nearly the whole story of the Megapowers, from 1987 and Hogan's angle with DiBiase all the way through to WrestleMania V. Sadly, it got taken down.

I don't know why, but I always enjoyed the stuff leading up to HHH/Angle/Rock at Summerslam 00. The match itself was no technical masterpiece, but it was great with the concussion angle (which seemed like it was supposed to happen, not just for real like it did with Angle's noggin bouncing off the busted table top).

In a show that also featured the first Tag Team Ladder Match, Steve Blackman diving off rigging, and a Stinkface Match, it still was able to stand out in its own ways.

I completely forgot about Steve Blackman jumping off the Summerslam set...oh well.

I still don't like the inclusion of the Rock in the HHH/Angle build, but they absolutely had me with that build. It seem like the whole street lit up when Angle kissed Stephanie on the final Smackdown before the show.

I wouldn't put Eddie/Angle on an all-time list since it was too short, but I think Angle's taped fist beat down on Eddie leading into the show was one of the more underrated angles of the last few years.

Summerslam 98 (Taker/Austin-Nation/DX) was my all-time favorite build, and in fact I think the build to Survivor Series 98 was fantastic as well.

The "No Touching" clause for HHH and Austin was pretty good, and I was dying to see them fight by the time No Way Out came around.

The Elimination Chamber build for NYR 05 was one of the better builds in recent years.

the entire build up to Summerslam 98 was probably my favorite one ever, the big 4 team tag team match on the last Raw before SS and the Highway to Hell video were amazing.

I also loved the Jericho-HBK build up to WM 19, specially when Jericho showed videos of him at a young age looking like a young HBK