TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

2008 MMA Year End Review

This will be the thread moved to the top of the board so get to discussin' whenever you feel like it. I'll chime in later.

Corey Hill's leg break replaces Taiei Kin rolling through his arm on a takedown as the grimiest injury of the year.

I doubt it'll crack the top five, maybe not even top ten but Koscheck dusting Yoshida was a quality KO.

I want to wait until after UFC 92 to make my picks, because chances are I could give someone who fights on that card some of the best of 2008 award.

Rashad vs Chuck and Rory Markham vs Brodie Farber are the best knockouts i can think of from this year, though no doubt i'm forgetting some good ones.

Anthony Johnson/Tommy Speers

Wanderlei Silva/Keith Jardine

Yves Edwards/Edson Berto

Melvin Guillard/Dennis Siver

Gegard Mousasi/Jacare Souza

I'll make a premature pick cause I don't see anything on the horizon to change my mind...

Fighter of the Year:

...beat Parisyan, Hughes, and Koscheck.

Thiago Alves.

Runners Up:

Eddie Alvarez. Beating Kawajiri and Hansen are worthy of the title, plus Dida ain't no slouch, I just think the way Alves stepped up to the competition in 08 and faced guys who were some of the divisions best grapplers and kayoed two of them and beat the shit out of the other, puts him a step above. He was out of his comfort zone in those fights, against guys who would prey on his "weakness" and was able to thrive.

Georges St. Pierre - Yes, Matt Serra isn't really a top WW, but GSP demolished the clear-cut number one contender in Jon Fitch for five rounds in a performance that IMO is one of the best of the year. Beating Serra was more of a moral and mental victory than anything, but he was still technically the champ and beating the champ should earn some dap in year end awards.

(RRRs Fuckallyall pick for FOTYC): Demian Maia! Tapped two gingers and a rock. Such strong jiu jitsu. So strong.

I think Alexander Shlemenko's flying knee to the body of "Bubba" McDaniel on ShoXC is worthy of a nomination, especially considering it left an otherwise tough guy moaning on the mat like he'd just been shot (a more auditory version of Gono/Salaverry, if you will).

Worst moaning of the year was Matt Riddle's KO of some dude in the TUF7 qualifying matches. Most embarrassing sound I've ever heard come out of a fighter. It sounded like that lady in the one viral video who fell from the grape stomping tower and smashed her face.

Fighter of the Year

Thiago Alves

Runner-Up: Eddie Alvarez

Fight of the Year

Eddie Alvarez def. Tatsuya Kawajiri

Runner-up: Miguel Angel Torres def. Yoshiro Maeda

Breakout Fighter of the Year

Eddie Alvarez

Runner-up: Miguel Angel Torres

Rookie of the Year

Amir Sadollah

Runner-Up: Muhammed Lawal

Knockout of the Year

Alexander Shlemenko's flying knee to the body vs. Robert McDaniel

Runner-up: Rashad Evan's overhand right vs. Chuck Liddell

Submission of the Year

Dustin Hazellet's whizzer-to-armbar vs. Josh Burkman

Runner-up: Mitsuhiro Ishida's rolling kimura-to-armbar vs. Justin Wilcox

Beatdown of the Year

Ben Saunder's endless knee barrage vs. Brandon Wolf

Runner-up: Georges St. Pierre's 5 round domination of Jon Fitch

Upset of the Year

Sergey Golyaev def. Takanori Gomi via Split Dec.

Runner-up: Yuki Shoujou def. Yasuhiro Urushitani via guillotine choke

Event of the Year

WEC 34- Sacramento

Runner-up: UFC 81- Breaking Point

Worst Fight of the Year

Nate Quarry def. Kalib Starnes

Runner-up: Chael Sonnen def. Paulo Filho

Shocking Moment of the Year

Seth Petruzelli TKO's Kevin Ferguson via a jab

Runner-up: Corey Hill snaps his leg

I'll try and think of more categories later.

I really want to wait until after UFC 92 before I decide to make my picks. But as of right now, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Thiago Alves is FOTY.

I can't see anybody else taking it regardless of who's fighting at 92. Maybe Rashad but I'd still put Alves defeating 3 top WW's over Rashad taking out 2 (assuming he gets past Forrest).

Mir beating Nog would be a pretty big upset but still probably not the years biggest.

BTW if we're doing a Comeback of The Year award it's Nog guillotineing Timmy and sending him packing from UFC. Either that or Cole Miller stealing the fight from Awesome Standup Gurgel via triangle with 20 seconds left in the fight.

I'd go with BJ's late-game submission against Mamoru for Comeback, and have also been considering a sort of "Career Revival' award, inspired by Nakakura, last year, as well as an opposing award, "inspired" by Paulo Filho.

Beatdown of the Year

Ben Saunder's endless knee barrage vs. Brandon Wolf

Runner-up: Georges St. Pierre's 5 round domination of Jon Fitch

BJ leaving Stevenson in a pool of blood, and making him cry... Also having Stevenson's wife at ringside in tears beats any of those beatdowns, and you fucking know it.

Penn's win over Stevenson has a lot of visual impact, but it wasn't a beginning-to-end beatdown, as there were still a handful of moments throughout the fight where Stevenson was actually fighting somewhat competitively. On the other hand, Saunders has basically forever replaced Silva/Jackson I on HL reels documenting the most ridiculous Thai plum barrage in MMA history, while St. Pierre blasted on Fitch repeatedly for the better part of a half hour, dropping him repeatedly and looking to have him out at several points (though the fact that Fitch hung in increased the overall severity of the ass kicking).

Does any one have a link to the ShoXC Moaning?

Also, if Mir beats Nog he's definitely fighter of the year. It will never happen, but if it does, beating the current #2 HW and the current UFC Champ in one year is worthy of the title.

Beatdown of the year has to be Wanderlei vs. Jardine, I'm surprised so many people forgot about that one. That was just rape-choke madness.

I'll wait till after UFC 92 before really making the picks though.

Aside from the obviousness of watching GSP beat Serra live I'd say that Wandy rape-choking Jardine into oblivion has to be my "Feel Good" moment of the year.

Like, I was freaking the fuck out when he won. For 5 minutes straight.