TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The NHL all-time draft

There's four guys that could be considered sleepers, all of whom I badly want on my team. They'll probably all be gone by the end of this round, so I'm going to strategize a bit.

My pick for this round was the third guy on that list. The Great Ones is looking like the early favourite, and The Great One himself probably wouldn't have had as much success without my pick. He's the second highest-scoring European of all-time. He's Jari Kurri.

one_kurri01.jpg

Damn, in Tretiak, Fetisov & Mahovlich, three of the players that I really wanted - but thought would be available in a few rounds - were taken off the board.

The good news, though, is that it means that the players that I wanted more - but presumed would be taken - might slip to me.

Considering taking him instead of Mahovlich... But wanted Frank on my team because of his toughness. Him and Iginla on the same line would be pretty intense.

I'm only around until 7:30 (eastern) or so.

I'll try to send my picks to someone that's recently picked and have them make my choice(s) for me. I figure I have two picks before someone that's 1-8 picks again, so I can give a couple of names without too much concern of them cherry-picking one of my stupendous players.

Plus, it's not like I'm leaning towards the most obscure players ... yet ... so it's not like I'll be name-dropping some surprise player.

^

I'd hate for this to turn into an obscure free-for-all, like the wrestling draft. (I suppose if I don't spoiler tag it, it's half the battle). But if you have Chris Nilan or Bruce Shoebottom on that list, you should be fine.

Wait. London Byers is my favourite obscure Bruin. Is it him?

I wanted to use this pick to set my top line and it was another tough choice but anyway:

nhl_u_shanahan_275.jpg

Brendan Shanahan, LW

650 goals

690 assists

1340 points

Three time Stanley Cup winner

Olympic gold medalist, 2002

King Clancy Trophy winner, 2003

Wait. London Byers is my favourite obscure Bruin. Is it him?

Not to tip my hand, but, yeah, I'm thinking of using my 12th forward pick on an enforcer ... and LB is definitely on the list of players that might join the Five.

EDIT: and while I was babbling about LB, AiG took one of the players that I most hoped would still be there in a few picks.

Damnit damnit damnit.

*crosses Oates off the list*

Number two on my aforementioned sleeper list. Not only that - remember my Kurri-Gretzky interruption? As anyone who frequents the Music folder could tell you, I'd love a line of Hull-Oates.

Oates might be at the top of my list of underrated players of my lifetime. Loved him on the Bruins and I think I wept the day he was traded for those do-nothings Anson Carter, Jim Carey and Jason Allison. He was never drafted, signed as a free agent by the Detroit Red Wings.

Hey, if 909 and Gert are around, could you guys make your picks if possible? This thing could go faster if I get my pick in before I leave soon (won't be back until 10 or so).

Sorry, I got confused and forgot it was my pick.

I'm going to double up with another member of the Avalanche...

t1-forsberg.jpg

Peter Forsberg. Although often injured, IMO, the most dominant player of the clutch and grab era.

Great pick. There's no better player to capitalize on the "assume they're not injured" rule than Peter Forsberg. He was my backup if my other pick goes.

EDIT: Mikita is a good pick too, I was wondering when he'd go.

Edited by JJ Johnson

Well, unlike the NBA draft, I'm gonna get my coach early so...

33624298.jpg

Al Arbour

Second all-time in many coaching categories (including wins and games coached) and coached one of my players (Trottier). Great team builder and many people would put him as the 2nd greatest coach ahead of Toe Blake and behind Scotty Bowman.

A lot of the players that I'd wanted to get with this pick are falling off the board. Except, of course, for the RW that will anchor my top line ... cam_ulf.jpg

Cam Neely

- 3 Seasons with 50+ goals, including one in which he potted his 50th in only his 44th game of the season

- Fearsome hitter, and terrific fighter

- Has to be up there in the "assume they're not injured" rule

- He was a Bruin, which makes him superior to players unfortunate enough not to wear the Spoked B

/sorry for the big-ass picture, I wanted one of him punching Ulfie and that's the best one I could find

The most underrated player of all time, Joe Nieuwendyk.

sp20061208a2a.jpg

He has the same number of points as Mike Bossy. One might say "Yeah but Bossy lead the Isles to 4 cups in a row". Niewendyk lead three different teams in three different decades to Stanley Cups. He won a Calder and a Smythe. 500 goals, 1000 points. I promised myself I wouldn't take a New Jersey Devil, but for Nieuwendyk I make an exception.

This gives me a first line of Ovechkin-Nieuwendyk-Hull. Fuck yeah.

2u02136d.jpg

Mike Modano, C

Every North Stars/Stars scoring record

Most goals and points by an American

7-time All Star

Mike fuckin' Modano, I mean come on.

The Russian Rocket

tx.bure.jpg

Pavel Bure, RW

5th all-time in GPG

22nd in PPG

5 times scored over 50 goals; twice scored 60

6-time all star

Calder trophy winner

Led the NHL in goals 3 times

1st team all-star in 1994; 2nd team all star in 2000 and 2001

- Probably the most explosive player in NHL history and one of the best pure scorers to ever lace up the skates. He'll be a great fit on the wing with Stevie Y.

Sons of bitches. All my eluded-to sleepers are gone, save one. Forsberg, Mikita and Bure were the three. There have been some awesome picks this round. Also, re: Forsberg, my dad and I were just talking about this a few weeks ago; Like Ken Griffey, it's too bad he was so often injured, as he legitimately could have been one of hockey's 10 or 15 best ever.