TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

The Damaramu Gym-o-Rama

Well we don't have a fitness thread here so I guess I'll ask this question here.

Does anyone know of a site that has like NFL players workouts or NBA players? Obviously I can't do what they do but I'd like to see if there's anything they do I can give a try at the gym or a more high impact/intensity workout. I feel like my workout is so damn stale. I go and I ride the exercise bike or run on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Then I go and lift weights. Kind of boring. I'm not seeing as big of a difference anymore as I used to. So I was thinking there might be something high impact/intensity I can try and I know those guys do some crazy workouts. Maybe if I found a box for box jumps.....

Well we don't have a fitness thread here so I guess I'll ask this question here.

Does anyone know of a site that has like NFL players workouts or NBA players? Obviously I can't do what they do but I'd like to see if there's anything they do I can give a try at the gym or a more high impact/intensity workout. I feel like my workout is so damn stale. I go and I ride the exercise bike or run on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Then I go and lift weights. Kind of boring. I'm not seeing as big of a difference anymore as I used to. So I was thinking there might be something high impact/intensity I can try and I know those guys do some crazy workouts. Maybe if I found a box for box jumps.....

I remember in the "Players" section of SI they'd have workout routines that pro's do. I bet Men's Health would be full of them too.

When I was playing football we had the Arizona Cardinals trainer come and visit, and all we did was isometrics.

I remember in the "Players" section of SI they'd have workout routines that pro's do. I bet Men's Health would be full of them too.

When I was playing football we had the Arizona Cardinals trainer come and visit, and all we did was isometrics.

Well that explains the teams record since the last playoff appearance.

Also on the fitness track, I feel like I'm fighting a circular argument sometimes.

I talk about wanting to run a mile quicker and get in better cardiovascular shape and I'm told "Well you need to lose weight first" and I say "Well I'm working on that. I kind of figured they were tied together." But some people act like they aren't tied together. Like I have to start working on losing weight before I can work on improving the cardio and the mile time. I kind of figured the mile time and cardio would get better as I lose weight......as any sane person would too.

But, I read things online with people asking "Well how do I improve my mile time?" or "How do I do XX?" and the answers are like "Well here's 10 tips" and one of the tips is always "lose weight" as if you're not going to lose weight training to run a mile in 8 minutes or dunk a basketball or whatever(both goals of mine).

And that leads me to another thing that pisses me off. I'm reading about all these supplements and shakes and heart rate monitors and what not. Whatever happened to just working out? If you're overweight shouldn't you just hit the gym? I know that I was talking about some NFL training things, but at least that's a workout. Instead I hear people talk more about the equipment they're buying to assist and they supplements they're taking than actually getting in the gym and working out.

Also on the fitness track, I feel like I'm fighting a circular argument sometimes.

I talk about wanting to run a mile quicker and get in better cardiovascular shape and I'm told "Well you need to lose weight first" and I say "Well I'm working on that. I kind of figured they were tied together." But some people act like they aren't tied together. Like I have to start working on losing weight before I can work on improving the cardio and the mile time. I kind of figured the mile time and cardio would get better as I lose weight......as any sane person would too.

But, I read things online with people asking "Well how do I improve my mile time?" or "How do I do XX?" and the answers are like "Well here's 10 tips" and one of the tips is always "lose weight" as if you're not going to lose weight training to run a mile in 8 minutes or dunk a basketball or whatever(both goals of mine).

No, they've got a point. Losing weight is pretty much based on your nutrition -- if you take in as many calories as you burn off, you won't lose weight, even if you're running (or whatever) twice a day every day. At the same time, you can be big and still be in good (or even great) cardiovascular shape. But you will get faster as you lose more weight, because your legs won't have as much of a load to carry.

No, they've got a point. Losing weight is pretty much based on your nutrition -- if you take in as many calories as you burn off, you won't lose weight, even if you're running (or whatever) twice a day every day. At the same time, you can be big and still be in good (or even great) cardiovascular shape. But you will get faster as you lose more weight, because your legs won't have as much of a load to carry.

Ah that's always been my biggest problem is eating. I've quit eating so much crap. I cut out the fried food, pizza, ice cream, sweets and red meat. I have that stuff maybe once a week if at all. I eat a lot of chicken, rish, rice and vegetables. The only problem is I eat a LOT of it. I'm a hungry guy and I wolf it down.

Oh yeah, back to part of the fitness thing. Does everyone that works out think they have to go buy the absolute best of Nike and Under Armour gear and what not?

I don't skimp on running shoes, but gym shorts and shirts from Wal-Mart work just fine. It's just funny watching advertisements making it seem like if you wear UAyou're going to workout harder. I will admit that I like some of their designs and clothing but I have no illusions I'll be able to run like Vernon Davis.

I'm kind of interested in the UA shoes that are coming out though. But, I really only buy high end running shoes when it comes to fitness gear.

Speaking of losing fat and getting in better cardio shape. Do you ever find yourself, when you're pressed for time or getting back in the gym after time off, having trouble getting cardio or a good run in along with weight lifting.

I sure do. Also because I'm out of shape and overweight I find myself too tired or weak to do one after the other. If I run/walk for 2.5-3 miles I'm spent when I try to lift and vice versa. I'm trying to figure out how to balance both. I want to build some muscle and cut up, but I also want to get in better cardio shape and lose this belly.

.......I'm too neurotic to work out.

Classic paralysis by analysis. I have the same problem. I do nothing while trying and figure out the best way to do everything, instead of just picking something and making like the Nike slogan.

Classic paralysis by analysis. I have the same problem. I do nothing while trying and figure out the best way to do everything, instead of just picking something and making like the Nike slogan.

Yeah.....so any tips on how to fix that?

I am neurotic though. Like I'm trying to figure out my squat form. I want to get good form so I can do "the king of exercises" correctly. So I get in front of the mirror and practice it repeatedly critiquing my form to the point where I'm drenched in sweat and my legs feel like jelly. Maybe I got the form down right, but it doesn't matter because now I need a day to let my legs recover!

Guest Vitamin X

You could probably start by lifting less weight to get the form down right, or just practicing for a bit with the bar- even if you think it might look silly at the gym.

Squats are pretty simple, though; think of it this way- back straight, chin up, knees bent even just a bit when you're in the standing position, then go down till your knees are fully bent and your back is straight the whole way down. If the strain you feel is on your quads/glutes/hammys, then you're doing it right, if you feel any strain on your back whatsoever, then you need to work on your form. Take my advice- I've lifted 4-5 times my own weight before on that exercise (held the record for my weight class at my high school which has produced a few pros in various sports) and was a pretty good sprinter solely because of the work I did on my legs.

I'm one of those guys that is way too strong in the lower-body, and not strong at all in the upper body. It kind of sucks, but it's funny because everyone then thinks you're "deceptively strong".

In other news, I have this basketball class I'm taking in the morning this semester, and it kinda blows for one pretty big reason- we've got guys from our Div. I basketball team in there, probably just taking it to make up some bullshit credit. Now, I'm definitely not a tall guy at all, but I can play against taller guys without much of an issue (point: I took a layup inside the other day-- most people are scared of going inside for some reason, fucking pansies-- and I got called for charging against some dude who's 6'3", 250-270 lbs. WTF! That's what happens when you get a rugby player playing basketball I guess..) but these guys are just sick. They're both at least 6'6", and can dunk and shoot from the outside. For reference, the Portland State men's b-ball team made it to March Madness this year for the first time and their only game was a small loss to eventual champion Kansas. That shit just isn't right at all.

a. to get myself back into shape after having a couple nasty injuries that cut my season short at the end of the year last year

b. to make up full-time status

c. I'm not a collegiate basketball player, so it'd be nice to play against some people who aren't as well.

You're awful ornery today, Porter. Everything going alright?

Sorry. It's not meant to come off that way. I've been in a bad mood since pretty much the NFL draft, but nothing that I can't handle. Thanks for asking, VX.

Hey I heard something today that will make you even angrier. Kiper was on ESPN radio saying the Bears had a great draft and saying he was in love with it.

Anyway, I'm working on the squat. I feel the burn, but I don't feel like I'm sitting back. I feel like I'm coming straight down. Which is fine b/c my back stays straight and I feel it in my legs, but I watch videos and it looks like some people are going farther back like they're sitting down. They appear to go farther back than me. I dunno.

Oh yeah, you play rugby VX? I'm going back to rugby when I move back to Oklahoma. I'm going to play for the Oklahoma City Rugby Club. It should be fun, I'm in way better shape than last time and I'm excited to get back into it. That's one of the reasons I've been murdering myself at the gym.

Hey VX, I gave squats the old college try again today.

I feel kind of weird b/c I'm this big guy that weighs like 258 pounds but I was only able to squat 165 pounds! Well that's what I was doing reps with, I have no clue what my max is. It just felt like I should be doing more, but I guess you have to start somewhere. Doesn't matter how big you are, if you've never done it it takes time to build up.

Then again I've been benching for a while and I do reps with 155-75...wonder what my max there is?

Oh well I feel good after doing the squats, they suck while you're doing them though!

I never get sore after a workout anymore, I'm wondering if that's because I'm used to lifting now or do I need to up the weight or intensity or something?

I've been going to the gym. Working on my altoids, they're curiously strong.

I've never participated in a discussion about gyms without busting that quote out.

Haha, I've never heard that. That's a good one.

I've also noticed another weird thing. I can do bench reps with 155-175 pounds, row 130 pounds, do 100 on the lat pull-downs, do 100 on the two-handed bent-over row with the lever, yet I struggle to do 10 push-ups and I can't do one damn pull-up.

Maybe this goes back to what CanadianChris was saying about losing weight, it'd probably be easier to do a push-up or pull myself up if I wasn't doing so much weight.

I'm one of those guys that is way too strong in the lower-body, and not strong at all in the upper body. It kind of sucks, but it's funny because everyone then thinks you're "deceptively strong".

I'm kinda the same way. I can do a 600 max squat and 650 max deadlift but only like a 280 max bench or so (and I can't do that much on cleans either). I've never had great upper-body strength. People always thought I was super-strong though cuz I had that "raw" strength while playing sports; I just never had great "weight-room" strength.

Guest Vitamin X

That's insane, Dama. You weigh nearly 100 pounds more than I do. But yeah, you have to lose some weight to improve push-ups and pull-ups, but that mostly just takes practice. Remember that doing push-ups and pull-ups will have the benefit of helping you lose some weight as well. Running and biking helps a lot as well.

What position do you play? I imagine prop or lock. I'm a hook and inside/outside, but usually hook because the starting hooker gets hurt all the time so they rotate me in and out with him to keep him fresh.

Oh, and my max squat that set the record was 865 lbs. I needed a LOT of padding for my shoulders- that's about 700 pounds more than I weighed at the time. I was like a fireant.

So then how is it a little guy like you can lift waaaay more than me. Is it what I said earlier? The fact you've been doing it and working at it and I really just started squatting?

Basically I haven't seriously worked squats into a routine since high school. In HS I did too much weight and my knee buckled and my dumbass spotter wasn't quick enough and I hurt knee and lower back. So I've had like a fear ever since then. Basically the other day I said "Fuck this I'm going to squat." So this is like the first time I'm seriously squatting with weight in 6 years.

Then again I guess it doesn't matter how much you do as long as you do it right and enough.

In college I played prop and second-row. I played second-row because I was the tallest guy on the team so I could lock out far and get a lot of push into it. I'll probably play one of those when I get on the team in OKC. Definitely not going to be a wing or 8-man. lol

Oh and another thing.

I was at a bookstore tonight and I was looking through their fitness books and everyone's got a different opinion and it's funny because everyone claims their method works and nothing else works.

Like one book I read said you should do every lift till you puke or something. It was like "have you ever done bicep curls until you puked? Then you don't know how to work hard!"

And then I read another that said "If you just do 30 minutes of lifting each week, and all you need to do is 3-6 reps of an extremely high weight you will lose weight."

Both seemed a little crazy. And one of them tried to say that playing sports wasn't a good way to keep in shape. "Yeah basketball is fun but it's not going to get you into shape."

And of course everyone has a different idea on nutrition.

That's where my biggest problem is. I workout everyday, but I still eat bad. I don't eat bad foods but I eat too much.

I'm trying to figure out how to fix this. I've heard different suggestions. I've been told by most not to go on an extremely low calorie diet because I won't get enough protein and my body may start burning muscle for energy.

I figured around 2000 was good......someone suggested 1500 but that seemed a little low to me.

I've heard the six small meals each day suggestion. I'm just wondering how exactly that works. Like what constitutes a meal? Should I eat just a sandwich for lunch? Or would an apple be considered a meal? And what about dinner? I know most people are used to eating a big meal for dinner and so am I. What should you eat for dinner if you're trying to eat small meals?

It sounds like a good idea, I just don't know how to implement it.

Plus just like the workouts everyone has a different idea on what your diet should be. I just know I do eat too much at meals and I snack too much. Once again I don't eat greasy fried food but I just eat too much of what I do eat.

Guest Vitamin X
So then how is it a little guy like you can lift waaaay more than me. Is it what I said earlier? The fact you've been doing it and working at it and I really just started squatting?

I think some people are just more genetically predisposed to a certain strength. I've been biking and/or running most of my life so I naturally have a lot more leg strength from years and years of it- a lot of bigger dudes tend to have more upper body strength because that's where they draw their mass that gives them their strength from. At least, I think.

In college I played prop and second-row. I played second-row because I was the tallest guy on the team so I could lock out far and get a lot of push into it. I'll probably play one of those when I get on the team in OKC. Definitely not going to be a wing or 8-man. lol

Nice, although on our team our 8-man is a pretty big dude, and our scrummy is this scrappy little Asian kid who's into BJJ and extremely athletic. Me, I just like to run and hit people. There's some blurry ass photos of me playing out there, I'll probably post one when I get a clear shot.

I've heard the six small meals each day suggestion. I'm just wondering how exactly that works. Like what constitutes a meal? Should I eat just a sandwich for lunch? Or would an apple be considered a meal? And what about dinner? I know most people are used to eating a big meal for dinner and so am I. What should you eat for dinner if you're trying to eat small meals?

It sounds like a good idea, I just don't know how to implement it.

I think a meal is considered eating just to get your stomach content (meaning adequate or happy I guess), but not full. I followed this for a while as well but it just didn't work for me because I can't always squeeze in time to eat and I find cramming down 10 minute meals is a lot worse than eating a larger meal slowly. Remember that the basic way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in, just like gaining weight is taking in more calories than you lose. The first thing you gotta do is just make sure you're not eating to get full EVERY TIME. Save some for later, it saves money and time. What I did pretty much was eat more towards the beginning of the day and eat less and less as the day goes on. The reason for this is that you burn calories just being awake and doing things throughout your day- so having more food energy is crucial and it balances out better. If you eat no breakfast and enormous gut-busting dinners all the time, well then that's your culprit. Try to also limit your intake of meat in general, not just red meat, and replace it with vegetables and other non-meat proteins such as soy products, nuts, and beans. Lettuce and other light greens are pretty much awesome because they go right through you too- they have a high water content so it barely stays in you.

Oh, you might want to check these out as well: negative calorie foods. Hope that all helps.

Yeah VX, our scrummy in college was a tiny dude.

The 6 small meals thing doesn't really fly with me either. Mainly because I don't have the time, and it will just make me way to hungry and I may gorge later which is definitely bad. Plus it just seems like I'd take in more calories eating more each day even if the meals are smaller.

Guest Vitamin X

I've tried it before on days I've had off, and it's actually not as bad you might think. I certainly wasn't hungry at the end of the day though, I'll tell you that much.

Oh, drinking juices that have a lot of natural sugars/starches like apple juice is pretty helpful to killing an appetite. And you're not taking in more calories because you're only giving your body what it needs for energy as the day goes on. Of course, by that theory, I still think that eating more at the beginning of the day to eating nothing or close to nothing (i.e. negative calorie foods, greens, soups, etc.) before sleep is helpful. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: PLENTY of water. Water helps with weight loss like you would have no idea. I use caffeine as a cheater also (boosts your heart rate which ups your metabolism and also kills an appetite).

Yeah that book I read that said basketball won't help you lose weight is full of shit. I just got done playing for about an hour and a half and I'm exhuausted.

Guest Vitamin X

Totally. Basketball is an excellent cross-trainer, if you combine it with some weight-lifting and getting back into rugby, you'll be in great shape soon.

Totally. Basketball is an excellent cross-trainer, if you combine it with some weight-lifting and getting back into rugby, you'll be in great shape soon.

I was just playing by myself so I was having to chase after a ball if I bricked a shot real bad and I kept setting up at half-court and driving to the basket. It got my heart rate pumping nicely.

In college I didn't take rugby seriously and I didn't try to get in shape for it. Now I'm taking it seriously and wanting to be ready.

Do suicides with the ball. You'll get in shape, and you'll improve your handle.

Do this with your non-dominant hand and become a guy with unpredictable cuts.

I'm 24! My basketball days are over. You guys wanting me to do this to dominate on the playground? lol

Do it just because.

Yeah, how is it for Spanish audiences if she's just speaking in a heavy accent? Shouldn't she be speaking Spanish? It's like out of a bad cartoon.

A bunch of spanish speakers don't understand you so you start calling them ese and talking with an accent and suddenly they hear every word.

Back on the fitness front, I think I overtrained.

I went from Sunday to Friday only taking Tuesday to rest. I lifted heavily on Wednesday and played basketball forever on Thursday.

I went in on Friday and was shooting around and I immediately started to get hot and fatigued. I was overheating very quickly and getting winded way to quick. So I went to lift and could barely get the weight up most of the time. I finished the workout with lighter weight and left, but I felt bad all day. I guess I should've rested. So, I've taken the weekend off from working out.

Back to working out.

After talking with you guys and a former rugby mate I'm going to be focusing more on power lifts in the gym and less on doing everything.

I mean I could do those lifts plus shoulder presses, bicep curls, etc. but what will that really do?

If I'm wanting to burn fat and get stronger I should focus on working my back, chest and legs correct? The other stuff (like my arms) will come along with working those. Besides, beach muscles don't do much in rugby. Right VX? lol