TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
evilhomer

Top accidental lines

Every once in a while you'll hear something in a promo that isn't meant to be a catchphrase but it starts up like wild fire. The top three that come to mind for me:

1. Austin 3:16 - without question number 1. Austin just blurted it out because of Jake Roberts bible thumping gimmick that was going at the time and it became probably the biggest money making line in wrestling history.

2. The 4 Horsemen - second only because of 3:16's success. Arn made a reference to the biblical horsemen of the apocolypse saying "Not since that 4 Horsemen have 4 men reaked more havoc. It wasn't meant to be a stable name, but by god was it an awesome one. The name was given and turned a great stable into a decades lasting legendary one.

3. What? - not a line that was just thrown in, but probably not something that was expected to catch on like it did. Austin just wanted to berate and belittle Hugh Morrus, but the line was so simple and fun that quickly whole arenas were shouting it at every opportunity.

ACtually if I recall correctly, the What? came about when he got bored one day and kept calling Edge or Christian's cell phone and leaving a bunch of messages and ending them all with WHAT?

It's been awhile since I read Austin's book.

I thought it came to be in a backstage skit with Justin Credible?

Austin developed WHAT? when he called Christian one day and was rambling about things he was seeing on the road, and kept saying WHAT?

On TV, it developed when he was browbeating Alliance members for losing matches on Smackdown.

Hugh Morrus what is that supposed to be humorous?

Arn made a reference to the biblical horsemen of the apocolypse saying "Not since that 4 Horsemen have 4 men reaked more havoc.

He said that? Interesting, as the biblical horsemen are supposed to be in the future, negating his "since" qualifier.

I thought Arn said they where "like" The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse as opposed to "since" either way that promo ruled.

And Hugh Morris, The Laughing Man. Later Hugh G. Rection. Two gimmicked names, one first name! Everyone wins!

Back on subject, didn't Shane Douglas say something to the effect of "You all (ECW fans) say I have a small dick, well my dick's big enough to carry 15 pounds of gold." ??

I thought that it started with an in-ring promo with Scotty 2 Hotty.

I thought that it started with an in-ring promo with Scotty 2 Hotty.

Yeah, the first time it was on tv was in the ring with Scotty. I doubt it was an accident though, Austin had to know the crowd would catch on and use it...to annoy everyone years later

The what didn't catch on until months later though. The first time I remember it being used by the crowd was to annoy Austin, during the Margaritaville sing-a-long with The Rock.

Or am I just making this up?

No, the first time was in an in-ring segment on the August 13, 2001 RAW where he mocked Raven, Tazz and Hugh Morrus.

By the crowd? That's what I'm talking about, the crowd chanting it.

"It doesn't matter..." was a throwaway line in Rock's promo when he was ridiculing Billy Gunn for winning KotR.

HHH coined "I am the game" in a quasi-shoot interview on (I believe) Heat prior to Fully Loaded 99, then really hammered home come that SummerSlam.

"It doesn't matter..." was a throwaway line in Rock's promo when he was ridiculing Billy Gunn for winning KotR.

HHH coined "I am the game" in a quasi-shoot interview on (I believe) Heat prior to Fully Loaded 99, then really hammered home come that SummerSlam.

I remember him ending a promo with it sometime in the summer of 99, but I'm pretty sure it was on Raw. We may be thinking of different promos, however.

Yeah, that was the legendary (in my own mind) "God spoke to Billy Gunn" promo:

And your house started to shake, the heavens opened up, and God himself spoke to you, and said this:

"Bob..."

"But my name's Billy --"

"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!"

Puppies was one of the more annoying ones, but I think it started with someone having puppies painted on them or something...I can't remember.

^ Same thing with Eddie Guerrerro and Latino Heat basically. I think Eddie said he was just ripping a line from a movie, and Lawler really drove it home.

I remember him ending a promo with it sometime in the summer of 99, but I'm pretty sure it was on Raw. We may be thinking of different promos, however.

I'm pretty sure this one originated on RAW as well. Something about H saying Austin called himself a student of the game, then retorting, "Well, I AM the game." I know he repeated this line a couple of times leading up to the PPV, probably including the preshow on Heat.

The crowd going "TWWWOOOOOOOO!" on nearfalls is one of my personal favourites.

Another reason I love Canadian crowds. I hate going to shows and usually being the only one to do it and looking like an ass.

I guess you could consider it an accidental line. I know the first time he used it was in his interview with Gennifer Flowers at WrestleMania XIV. I think he liked how it sounded and decided to keep using it.

Arn made a reference to the biblical horsemen of the apocolypse saying "Not since that 4 Horsemen have 4 men reaked more havoc.

He said that? Interesting, as the biblical horsemen are supposed to be in the future, negating his "since" qualifier.

I probably quoted it wrong but if you check out the recent Horsemen dvd, he talks about the promo where that line came about.