TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2008 - Conference Finals

NBA Finals poll  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK the NBA Finals will be?

• Celtics/Lakers
    • Celtics/Spurs
    • Pistons/Lakers
    • Pistons/Spurs
  2. 2. What do you WANT the NBA Finals to be?

• Celtics/Lakers
    • Celtics/Spurs
    • Pistons/Lakers
    • Pistons/Spurs

(1) Boston vs (2) Detroit

Boston 88, Detroit 79

Detroit 103, Boston 97

Boston 94, Detroit 80

Detroit 94, Boston 75

Boston 106, Detroit 102

Boston 89, Detroit 81, Boston wins 4-2

(1) LA Lakers vs (3) San Antonio

LA Lakers 89, San Antonio 85

LA Lakers 101, San Antonio 71

San Antonio 103, LA Lakers 84

LA Lakers 93, San Antonio 91

LA Lakers 100, San Antonio 92, Lakers win 4-1

I'm going to add a poll to this topic shortly.

Also, the draft lottery is on before tommorrow's game.

Guest Smues

Before the game? I miss the days of it being during half time of game one of one of the conference finals, which was Sunday afterrnoon.

I want The Spurs and The Celtics, I expect the Lakers and the Pistons to win.

One series being all on one channel while the other rotates just seems odd to me.

Pistons in 5

Lakers in 7

Knicks win the draft lottery to start the LeBron to NY move that will save basketball in the league's biggest market.

Guest Vitamin X

I think that's a good storyline there- Kobe out to prove himself a champion for the first time against the team that denied him his last championship. Lakers/Celtics is obvious. But Spurs/anything is mundane aside from the "can they actually win two in a row this time?!" babble we're sure to be inundated with.

It's a great storyline, given that Detroit was really, the end of our big run. This is validation time for KB. A title win validates everything, and I mean, everything this guy had done in that offseason, this past one, all that. I mean, I didn't even think this could happen until we swept Denver, but now, it's possible. Kobe's back injury is a little worrying, but he's put up nearly a 50 percent mark from the field and 33 points a game. Can't freak out over a back problem when the dude's doing that with two torn up fingers.

I know, Lakers/Celtics was THE rivalry and all that, but for me, it just won't be quite the same if we can get past the Spurs (first and foremost), and wind up playing the Celtics. It'll be missing something. I'm definitely in the minority with that opinion, aren't I?

Lakers vs. Boston is probably the series that would help boost the NBA back into the minds of the non-fan. While I don't wish to see it all the time, having the traditional teams that people grew up watching meet in the Finals is good for business.

Even without Magic vs Bird.

I honestly don;t want to see Celtics/Lakers at all, because everyone is reminiscing of a dead and bygone era. Those teams are long dead, and despite all the hype, the series would never get close to living up it. The Lakers would tear apart a tired and beaten down Celtics team, especially if the Pistons took them to 6 or 7 games before falling.

I would love to see Pistons/Lakers and watch Kobe get stoned in another attempt to validate his career and team by getting a championship post-Shaq. I would be more fearful if they had a fully healthy Bynum, but I doubt that it goes past six games.

I think that Pistons/Spurs is going to happen despite Stern's best efforts to the contrary.

I honestly don;t want to see Celtics/Lakers at all, because everyone is reminiscing of a dead and bygone era. Those teams are long dead, and despite all the hype, the series would never get close to living up it. The Lakers would tear apart a tired and beaten down Celtics team, especially if the Pistons took them to 6 or 7 games before falling.

I would love to see Pistons/Lakers and watch Kobe get stoned in another attempt to validate his career and team by getting a championship post-Shaq. I would be more fearful if they had a fully healthy Bynum, but I doubt that it goes past six games.

I think that Pistons/Spurs is going to happen despite Stern's best efforts to the contrary.

Huh?

One series being all on one channel while the other rotates just seems odd to me.

Is it a contractual thing, like how FOX has the NLCS but not the ALCS? Does TNT have 'rights' to the WCF?

I'm both rooting for & predicting Boston (in 6) and LA (in 7). Boston will finally lose at home and win on the road.

And I think that 3 of the 4 potential match-ups have intriguing subplots. Boston/LA is obvious, Detroit/LA has the 'rematch factor' that VX & 909 referenced, and Boston/SA has the fact that Boston tanked a season to get Duncan in the draft and an intriguing Duncan vs. KG match-up.

Detroit/San Antonio doesn't offer much.

Well, Detroit/San Antonio would be a rematch as well (although everyone seemed to hate that series). Also, they've been the 2 most successful teams the past 5-6 years. I'm sure the media can find something intriguing. But I hate the Spurs, so go Lakers.

Want: Lakers/Celtics

Think: Lakers in 7, Pistons in 6

I think a Detroit/San Antonio series would have the most to offer in the way of sheer basketball ability, but the entertainment and intrigue factors just aren't there. Neither of those teams really captures the imagination the way the Lakers and Celtics do.

Lakers/Celtics would do the most to generate interest in basketball again, which can't possibly be a bad thing. Sure it wouldn't be Magic vs. Bird, or Russell vs. West, but it sure would be fun to watch.

I'm hoping for a Celtics/Spurs finals but I'd bet on Spurs/Pistons. Celtics/Spurs would be really intriguing with the, possible, team of the decade looking to repeat against 3 long time fan favorites looking for their first ring. I'd settle for Celtics/Lakers though. I REALLY don't want the Pistons in there although I don't really see Boston beating them.

Huh?

Just watch. David Stern would LOVE a Lakers/Celtics matchup, as its going to draw a lot more eyeballs than any other one, so I expect a little bit tilted towards Boston and LA in the way of weird and terrible calls against Detroit and San Antonio.

It's Game 3 and Game 6 you have to watch out for, the NBA's pattern of "interference" falls there, keep an eye out if LA/BOS fall down 0-2 or are down 2-3 on the verge of elimination. They more or less let Game 7's be without major screwiness.

Knicks win the draft lottery to start the LeBron to NY move that will save basketball in the league's biggest market.

Keep deluding yourselfs Knicks fans. I can see LeBron playing out his last few seasons in NY, but he's more than happy being the King of NE Ohio.

I'd kind of like to see Lakers-Celtics as a fresh but retro match up , but I hate both cities and the ESPN hype would be retarded.

Detroit and SA in 6.

SA in 6. Boring, but better than having an annoying douchy fan base win.

I think the real question is who takes the first "purely making a play on the ball" swipe at Kobe's bad finger? Robert Horry or Bruce Bowen?

Keep deluding yourselfs Knicks fans. I can see LeBron playing out his last few seasons in NY, but he's more than happy being the King of NE Ohio.

The rumor that I'd heard most frequently was LeBron to the Nets once they moved to Brooklyn. He'll save the NBA in the biggest market, it just won't be with the Knicks.

I think the real question is who takes the first "purely making a play on the ball" swipe at Kobe's bad finger? Robert Horry or Bruce Bowen?

Horry will deliver a solid forearm shiver, eh pick to Kobe's bad back and Bowen will try to land with his foot right under Kobe's as he comes down from a jumper by accident of course. The real answer to this question is Manu.

I hope they break his fucking fingers. Spurs in 7, Pistons in 6.

I hope they break his fucking fingers. Spurs in 7, Pistons in 6.

Well, thanks Dama II.

Well...actually, there is a legit reason to dislike Kobe so much you wish injury on him. With the raping people and all.

I don't actually wish harm on the guy. "I hope they break his fucking fingers" just has a nicer ring to it than, say, "I hope they can contain him defensively."