TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jorge Gorgeous

The NFL All-Time Draft.

Eh, there isn't enough difference between the top kickers for me to consider drafting one now. Andersen would have been my #1 though.

You're probably right, but Andersen seemed the least likely to drop to me of all the guys I was considering (at all positions).

I already selected Mick... repick Bored.

God damn I don't know how I missed that.

Kuech.jpg

Bob Kuechenberg, Guard

Miami Dolphins 1970-1983

6-time Pro Bowl Selection

1-time 1st Team All-Pro

I say go for it (well in about 15 minutes when eight hours is up) as I did PM Fokai after making my original pick.

Ok. I'll go then. I find it stunning that my next pick is not in Canton. In his 9 year career he was an All-Pro eight times, played in the first Pro Bowl, and as team captain led the Eagles to back to back NFL Championships.

070705-wistert2.jpg

RT Al Wistert

* 1x Pro Bowl selection (1950)

* 8x All-Pro selection (1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951)

* NFL 1940s All-Decade Team

* 2x NFL Champion (1948, 1949)

* Philadelphia Eagles captain (1946-1950)

* Philadelphia Eagles #70 retired

* Michigan Wolverines #11 retired

I have to say that I love my offensive line.

There's Lambert, there's Butkus, there's Singletary and Greg Lloyd, but none of them were as unapologetic a motherfucker as...

curtis.jpg

Middle Linebacker, Mike Curtis

6'2", 232 lbs.

Baltimore Colts Team Captain

4 Pro Bowls ('68, '70, '71 and '74)

AFC D-POY ('70)

Notable Career Stats (1965-1978): 22 sacks and 25 INT's.

Voted as the "meanest player" of his era. According to Bart Starr, "scarier than Butkus". Interception in Super Bowl V led Colts on final scoring drive to beat the Cowboys. Originally drafted as a fullback, he will join the offense in goal-line situations. Colts General Manager Joe Thomas commented in the early 1970’s, “Mike Curtis is the best middle linebacker in professional football. In response, Curtis said "Joe Thomas is the worst (bleep) in pro football”.

I'm in love with my prospective picks coming up. By the end of this, I will have a good-ole 70's-era defense. Biting, gouging, stabbing if need be, with good ol' Junior Seau to play nice to the refs.

Note to MODs: Please add Darren Woodson to my roster, as well as moving Roger Craig to fullback. Thank you.

Guest Vitamin X

Kahran DOES have a sick offensive line. I just looked at that group right now. Nice draftin'.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Definitely, with Walter Payton coming up behind it. He might be able to gain 5 yards against my front seven.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Love the Mike Curtis pick, by the way. I'll take the Pepsi challenge with Lambert in terms of anecdotes, though.

"I don't care for the man. He makes more money than I do, and he don't have no teeth. He's Dracula."

lambert_lurch.jpg

He's Dracula

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Important discussion question:

Is Peyton Manning a reach at #4?

I wouldn't call him a reach...

Peyton Manning (10 seasons)

- 1 SB Ring

- Has a career 64.2% completion rate while leading the league in pass attempts only once (his rookie year)

- Has never thrown for less than 3,700 yards in a season

- Has never thrown for fewer than 26 TD in a season

- Had a 4 year stretch with 137 TD vs. 39 INT

- Has been sacked an average of 19 times a season... rivals Dan Marino in that regard.

- In his career (only 10 seasons) he has already won 105 games with only 2 losing seasons. That's with 2 different head coaches.

Compare to Joe Montana... (15 Seasons)

- 4 SB Rings

- Career 63.2% completion rate while leading the league in pass attempts only once

- Had 6 seasons throwing for more than 3,500 yards

- Had 6 seasons over 26 TD

- 4 Year Peak saw (excluding his 8 game 1986): 112 TD vs. 48 INT

- Had 6 seasons where he was sacked over 25 times (in far fewer pass attempts)

- From 1980 - 1990 Montana won 118 games and had only 2 losing seasons.

The big differences seem to be the SB Rings and the fact that Manning plays in a pass happy era (along with free agency). In a way, the pass happy era makes the numbers Manning has put up both more impressive in regards to sacks and INT as one would expect with more pass attempts, more sacks and INT, but also because the defenses know to expect the pass and defend it and yet Manning is still putting up staggering numbers.

Montana was also playing in, what some would call, a "revolutionary" offense that helped boost Montana's completion percent more than if he had played in a traditional offense during that era. Each had things that 'favored' them and both utilized those for their own benefits.

It's hard to say if he's a reach or not. He's definitely a top-2 round talent. There are more than 3 better players, but if you're picking at #4, you have to take him first, or he's probably gone when the pick gets back to you in a draft like this.

He may have been a reach, but appears less and less so if you look down the draft board and see where Fokai was placed, too. At #4, knowing you're not getting another player for 32 choices, I can definitely see picking a QB right off the bat. Considering that guys like Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer all have rings, I personally would have waited longer, though 8 more QBs did go off the board before Fokai got another pick and Manning surely would have been part of that list too.

Now, the bigger question is if Manning's better than the other guys, and frankly I'd say that he's a fine choice for the first QB taken. There's a top tier of guys, but within that tier I'd say they're all fairly even. Again, probably not the one I would have grabbed, but since he's had just as many great seasons as most of the other big guns on there, it's a reasonable choice.

Important discussion question:

Is Peyton Manning a reach at #4?

I would not have him ranked as the first QB, but I can see the argument so I wouldn't really consider him a reach. The reach was Warren Moon. If not for last year, I would have considered Brady a reach too but I won't complain after that.

Mean Joe Greene, Bob Lilly & Ronnie Lott were probably the best values in the second round. All three should have been first rounders easily. Greene and Lilly are both in my top ten NFL players ever. So is Don Hutson, and I would have drafted him in the third round had he played just about any other position (besides K, P or TE) and because Tarkenton was the last first tier QB available.

My top ten for those interested:

1. Jim Brown

2. Jerry Rice

3. Walter Payton

4. Lawrence Taylor

5. Joe Greene

6. John Elway

7. Don Hutson

8. Deacon Jones

9. Johnny Unitas

10. Bob Lilly

Gert can pick again at anytime, BTW.

Yeah, I'd say that #4 is too high for Peyton, but if you want him as your QB, you have to take him there.

Also, EHME can pick now too cuz of the time limit. Hopefully soon, cuz things can get screwed up easily at the beginning/end of rounds.

Sorry about the delay, I hadn't been on much. Seriously cannot find a pic, so I appreciate if one could be found.

01F.jpg

Ken Gray/RG

6 Time Pro Bowler

2 Time All Pro

My top ten for those interested:

1. Jim Brown

2. Jerry Rice

3. Walter Payton

4. Lawrence Taylor

5. Joe Greene

6. John Elway

7. Don Hutson

8. Deacon Jones

9. Johnny Unitas

10. Bob Lilly

With the 20th (and last) pick, I got 2 of your top 10. Not bad.

He may have been a reach, but appears less and less so if you look down the draft board and see where Fokai was placed, too. At #4, knowing you're not getting another player for 32 choices, I can definitely see picking a QB right off the bat. Considering that guys like Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer all have rings, I personally would have waited longer, though 8 more QBs did go off the board before Fokai got another pick and Manning surely would have been part of that list too.

To be fair, he wasn't my pick. As for what I would've done? I would've gone with either Montana or LT-56 first.

EDIT: And holy shit, I never noticed that Jack Lambert looked so much like my father - either that or he idolized Jack so much he stole the fu manchu from him. Fortunately, my dad did have a full set of teeth.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Did you go to bed shitting your pants in terror every night?

20020414slambert_175.jpg

"Don't forget to take out the god damn trash!"

Should I go ahead? I know EHME has been upset before? But its been close to the 16 hours for both. Mine will be up in ten minutes.