Games Played: 228

Player A is HOFer Art Monk. Player B is:

post-2806-1217520065.jpg

Henry Ellard/WR

3 Time Pro Bowler

2 Time All Pro

He'll be a great burner opposite Rice.

Yes, it is.

If my next pick had played 20 years ago, I would have taken one look at his career stats and just moved along, but having seen him play he is one of the most athletic receivers ever and one who can absolutely dominate games like only few can. He's had a lot of bad luck, bad injuries and bad QBs, but the talent is without a doubt there.

p1_smith_steve.jpg

WR Steve Smith

* 3x Pro Bowl selection (2001, 2005, 2006)

* 2x All-Pro selection (2001, 2005)

* Co-NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2005)

* Other NFL accomplishments

Darren Woodson made his name as a strong safety, so that opens up a slot for one of the "Hit Men"...

33-66472-F.jpg

Free Safety, Gary Fencik.

Chicago Bears - Primary Defensive Captain

Franchise Leader in Tackles and INT's (38)

Eight 100-Tackle Seasons; tied for 2nd on Bears All-Time list in that regard with Urlacher -- both are behind Singletary

2 Pro Bowls ('80 and '81)

6 All-Pro Awards ('79, '80, '81, '82, '84 and '85)

Originally drafted by the 'Fins, but he ruptured a lung (!) and was ready to retire until the hometown Bears gave him a contract.

Center or Tight End?

And Smith was my backup pick at WR. The 2005 FTW Steve Smith who would put up 200 yards after the opposition would talk smack was a badass.

148920201.jpg

Claude Humphrey, Defensive End

Atlanta Falcons 1968-1978

Philadelphia Eagles 1979-1981

6-time Pro Bowl Selection

2-time 1st Team All-Pro

1968 Defensive Rookie of the Year

126.5 Career Sacks

nfl_g_hanks_195.jpg

Merton Hanks, CB, and his freakishly long neck

INT 33

INT yards 410

Touchdowns 3

Pro Bowl (x4) (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997)

All-Pro (x4) (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997)

Super Bowl champion (XXIX)

Not the fastest CB ever, but certainly one of the smartest.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I have a nose tackle on my offensive line. Let's not split hairs.

p1_porter2.jpg

OLB Joey Porter

3 Pro Bowls

3 All Pros

I'm sure there's better players, but he's pretty good and for some reason he's one of my favorite players. I don't really know why, since I don't normally like the loud obnoxious type guys, but whatever.

Guest Vitamin X

Broward's time is up, so I'm going to go ahead and make my pick. I actually took a quick look up and down the list and was shocked to see this guy hadn't been taken yet. Maybe not completely and utterly shocked, but I'm very glad I was able to nab him. This isn't the guy who I said I was definitely going to get; although I'm fairly sure I will be able to get that guy with my next pick, and I have someone else lined up behind him anyways. This guy is a legend, and his accolades practically more than speak for himself. And so, rounding out The Best Secondary of All-Time..

Baugh_Intercepts.jpgBaugh_Punts.jpg

DB/QB/Punter "Slingin'" Sammy Baugh

6'2", 182 lbs.

* 5x All-Star selection (1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942)

* Pro Bowl selection (1951)

* 9x All-Pro selection (1937, 1938, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1947, 1948)

* NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team

* NFL 1940s All-Decade Team

* 1937 Cotton Bowl MVP

* 70 Greatest Redskins

* Redskins' Ring of Fame

* Washington Redskins #33 retired

* Pro Football Hall of Fame (only surviving charter member, 1963)

# 50th Anniversary Team by the NFL (1969)

# 36th greatest athlete of the 20th century by Burt Randolph Sugar (1995)

# 64th greatest athlete of the 20th century by ESPN (1999)

# 43rd greatest athlete of the 20th century by the Associated Press (1999)

# 3rd greatest NFL player of the 20th century by the Associated Press (1999)

# 11th greatest NFL player of the 20th century by The Sporting News (1999); highest-ranking player for the Redskins

# Scripps-Howard all-time college football team (1999)

# 4th greatest college football player by SPORT magazine(1999)

# 3rd greatest college football player by College Football News (2003)

# 7th greatest college football player by Brad Rawlins (2006)

# 5th greatest college football player by ESPN (2007)

# Named starting quarterback, defensive back and punter of the Cold, Hard Football Facts.com "All-Time 11" (2006)

# Named as the Most Versatile Player of all-time by the NFL Network (2007)

I used that picture in particular to highlight what Sammy will be doing most of the time for my team. While known mostly for his ability as a quarterback, Sammy Baugh would just not be a fit against the monster defenses of today, or against most of the players taken in this draft. In an era known mostly for running and defense, Baugh was credited with revolutionizing the way quarterbacks were utilized and played. In his 15 active seasons in the NFL, Baugh was one of the best punters of all-time, and is still known as one of the better quarterbacks and defensive backs.

With his size at 6'2", 185 lbs., and being able to read a quarterback's mind effectively, Baugh would be an excellent defensive player as well- He mostly played that position from 1941-1945, in which he set marks of 4, 5, 11 (league leader), 4, and 4 interceptions, respectively, while also recovering 21 fumbles. Taken for his punting ability as well, Baugh is still one of the top punters of all time- He averaged 43.1 yards per game which is good enough for 3rd all-time, ahead of every punter selected here in this draft, and just behind a guy who only played in the NFL for three years so his average was probably inflated. And yes, this includes him being ahead of Ray Guy as well. At the time he retired, he was the holder of 13 NFL records- two of which stand today: most seasons leading the league in passing and most seasons leading the league with the lowest interception percentage. Despite this, he had an overall QB Rating of 72.2, throwing more picks (203) than touchdowns (187) so he wouldn't fit in at quarterback, but he's an excellent candidate for playing defensive back as well as punter on my all-time squad.

Hm, I guess I'll round out my linebackers...

Clay.jpg

Clay Matthews - OLB

4x Pro Bowl

1561 career tackles

69.5 career sacks

16 career INT's

27 forced fumbles

Brother of lineman Bruce Matthews, Clay is a model for consistency at the linebacker position. His best asset is his sure tackling, but there really isn't anything he can't do on defense. He played LB for 19 years, and outside of a rare injury year, he was always productive. He can play both sides of the field, and is effective against the run or the pass. That's the kind of durability, consistency, and general well-roundedness I like to see on my defense.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I've sent my selection to VX, as I probably won't be on later. Don't fuckin' skip me.

cromwell01.jpg

Nolan Cromwell, S

4x Pro Bowler

1980's All Decade

UPI NFC Player of the Year

4x Football Digest Defensive Back of the Year

Guest Vitamin X

With the next pick in the draft, Tzar Lysergic and his team of Marauding Norsemen select..

Billy_Cannon_at_LSU.jpg

HB/FB/TE Billy Cannon

6'1", 216 lbs.

TSN All-AFL 1961, 1967

AFL All-Star 1961, 1967, 1969

Awards 1959 Heisman Trophy

Honors American Football League

Champion, 1961 and 1962

AFL Rushing leader, 1961

From wiki:

Cannon had an uncommon combination of brute strength with the speed of a sprinter. A track and field coach is reported to have remarked during his college career that he could have lost 15 pounds and won the Olympic gold in the 100 meter dash, or gained 15 pounds and won the Olympic gold in the shotput. In 1960, his signing by the Houston Oilers followed a fierce bidding war that began when Oilers owner Bud Adams met Cannon in the end zone following LSU's Sugar Bowl victory, and ended in court, with the AFL winning against the NFL. That put the fledgling league on the football map. Cannon, at halfback, scored an 88-yard touchdown on a pass from George Blanda in the first AFL Championship game, a 24-16 victory over the Los Angeles Chargers. He scored the only touchdown in the Oilers’ repeat victory over the then-San Diego Chargers in the second-ever AFL Championship game.

Not a bad pick, I could see him being used like in a Jumbo set with two TE's, and presumably using him as something like an H-Back as well.

I'll finish off my O-line with...

hull.jpg

Kent Hull

3 Pro Bowls

4 All-Pros

Hey, someone was out there protecting Jim Kelly and blocking for Thurman Thomas. A great leader and a guy that can run whatever offense I decide to put in.

kblock.gif

RG Jerry Kramer

He played alongside Forrest Gregg in GB and he'll play alongside him on my team too. Blocked for Bart Starr and Paul Hornung while being coached by Vince Lombardi. Solid size at 6'3" and 250 lbs. with some speed to run outside on sweeps and option runs.

Guest Vitamin X

Harley took one of the guys I was targetting to start for my line. Amazing that Kramer fell this far, but I got another guard I might want to pick after him. We'll see if he comes around to me later.

I was looking at Kramer a couple rounds ago but I wanted someone with more size (probably part of the reason why he and some of the other older players fell). Not that I'm biased against older players, but I try to pick my spots with them.