TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jorge Gorgeous

The NFL All-Time Draft.

I pick players based on how good they were against their own generation. Otherwise we get scenarios where legendary Hall of Famers would probably get beat by random benchwarmers in the modern game. The real thing that I think hurts some of the older players and this is especially true prior to the 1960s, is that their careers weren't as long. So it would be hard to pick a guy who only played 5 or 6 years in the 30s against a guy like Bruce Matthews who was a Pro Bowler for over a decade. The game hasn't changed that much since coaches like Landry, Brown & Lombardi showed up in the 50s, but before that it was a very different beast.

Well yeah, I'm not gonna pick some random fatass to play guard just because. But if two players have similar credentials, I'll go with the guy that fits my team better, most likely the guy who's bigger, faster, and stronger. I think most everyone's picks in general have been legit.

I'll admit to being very size-prejudiced, especially when it comes to lineman. The way I'm picking is imagining if my team had to play any of the other teams picked so far. There may be a ton of skilled lineman from the 30's out there, but I don't wanna be the team with a 210-pound RT going against the team with Reggie White on it.

With "no picking scrubs" rule in effect, I think that eliminates the worry of random benchwarmers destroying legendary hall of famers. It's the best against the best here.

I'm going with JJ's logic. I'm building a competitive team, not a collection of Pro Bowlers. There's dominant players at every position in every decade, but I prefer guys like Chris Samuels and my prospective D-Tackles, space-eaters at key positions that'll slow the game down. There's a strategy for every team, and that's fine -- that's just how I'm building my team against other teams. The team write-up we do at the end of the draft should explain every team well.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I haven't focused on pre 50's players simply based on a lack of perspective.

This should draw some interesting reactions:

p1_saturday.jpg

Jeff Saturday, C

- 3x Pro Bowl

- 3x All-Pro

and

glenn.jpg

Tarik Glenn, LT

- 3x Pro Bowl

I try not to draft too many current players (well kinda in this case) but these guys played together for 10 years and were the main reason that Manning is the least sacked quarterback of the last decade. Combining their stability and chemistry with the Hall of Fame talent on the rest of my O line and I'm confident this bunch can compete against defense.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Having watched both extensively, I think that's a tremendous selection. There are plenty of other factors that lead to Manning remaining on his feet, but those two are a couple of big ones.

I just sent VX a PM for my next couple of picks. I'll be out of town for the next week, but if for whatever reason I miss any picks, don't ice the team. I promise I'll make up any missed picks when I get back.

Yeah, Saturday's a great pick at this point. Him and the guy I picked (Hull) were basically the only centers left that I was looking at.

lachey.jpg

LT Jim Lachey

Finishing up my offensive line with a guy who played under Joe Gibbs and blocked for their dominant period of the late 80's and early 90's. He has mammoth size at 6'6" and 294 lbs. and protected Mark Rypien (16 sacks in 1989, 6 in 1990, and 7 in 1991).

I'll complete my D-line with...

mill-full.jpg

Keith Millard

2x Pro Bowl selection (1988, 1989)

4x All-Pro selection (1986, 1987, 1988, 1989)

NFL 1980s All-Decade Team

1989 NFL Defensive Player of the Year

1989 UPI NFC Player of the Year

He can play anywhere on the D-line, but I'll use him mainly as a pass rushing presence at DT. He still holds the record for sacks by a DT with 18 and had 51 sacks through 5 seasons before he fucked up his knee. Allegedly told police officers during a DUI arrest to "Go ahead and shoot" cuz "My arms are more powerful than your guns." Not sure why I have all these Vikings and Bears on my team, but whatever.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Trenches round, it seems.

a-armstrong_bruce01.jpg

T-Bruce Armstrong

Fourteen seasons, over 200 games, and 152 starts all with New England. Tore his MCL, his ACL, and his fuckin' PCL in 92. Came back the next year. Man's man.

Six trips to Hawaii.

Guest Vitamin X
I'm picking another TE who can block like a lineman.

Mark Bavaro.

DIE. You fucking prick.

That was the guy I was going to take with my last pick, instead I took Sammy Baugh. Shit. Oh man. Well, I still have another guy I was going to take at TE.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm over it. I'm just not going to field an offense or special teams at all. My defense is just going to kill all offensive players and they'll have to forfeit.

I'm picking another TE who can block like a lineman.

Mark Bavaro.

DIE. You fucking prick.

That was the guy I was going to take with my last pick, instead I took Sammy Baugh. Shit. Oh man. Well, I still have another guy I was going to take at TE.

Wow. I thought for sure Baugh was the guy you were talking about. You just got greedy.

There's one guy I really want with my next pick and if he's there, I'm not hesitating to take him.

Guest Vitamin X

I had a couple other backup picks at DB as well, but I thought for some reason, seeing the DB and QB need after me, that I could hold off on getting a TE because the only guy who needed a TE is Smartly Pretty, so I thought I was good. Plus, CW already has 3 receivers, so having two TE's kills any chance of having a FB and probably leaves off a piece off his offensive line (Bavaro was a good blocker, but he wasn't that good to replace an offensive lineman, no way) as a replacement.

I had a couple other backup picks at DB as well, but I thought for some reason, seeing the DB and QB need after me, that I could hold off on getting a TE because the only guy who needed a TE is Smartly Pretty, so I thought I was good. Plus, CW already has 3 receivers, so having two TE's kills any chance of having a FB and probably leaves off a piece off his offensive line (Bavaro was a good blocker, but he wasn't that good to replace an offensive lineman, no way) as a replacement.

I wanted both Christensen and Bavaro cause one is a very good receiver and the other a blocker. I'm not picking a FB, and my team would probably run a lot of 2 receiver, 2 TE sets, or just switch TEs in passing and running situations.

You realize I'm sniping your center this round, right, Gert?

It is gonna come down to you and me at the center spot, much like QB!

Guest Vitamin X

Alright, Just John missed his pick, so I'm taking another great TE who's just as good a receiver, if not better..

18777-1.jpg

TE Brent Jones

* Pro Bowl (x4) (1992, 1993, 1994, 1995)

* All-Pro 1992-1994

* Super Bowl Champion (x3)

I just sent VX a PM for my next couple of picks. I'll be out of town for the next week, but if for whatever reason I miss any picks, don't ice the team. I promise I'll make up any missed picks when I get back.

What happened to this???

Luckily I found internet, so give me Cliff Branch (WR).

Guest Vitamin X

Oh crap, I completely forgot. Sorry man. I still have your list, so I'll catch you up when necessary.