TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Some quick reads up at UFC by Mr. Blue worth a read:

You know who I hate? Takanori Gomi

Now, unlike most fighters who would take a tune up match or two to get their bearings together before taking on the elite again, Gomi decided to make a career out of taking tune up matches.

I have fluke, to show?

Florian ended the fight with a clean offensive manuever while Vitale won the fight on bum luck; a cosmic allignment involving Lindland's lopsided bowling ball of a head and a canvas that a backyard promotion would pass on.

You thought I hated Takanori Gomi? Hah!

What kind of other worldly fighter could stand up to the world's most dangerous man? A 170 lb. Brazilian guy in his pajamas named Royce Gracie who was only fighting as a favor to his older brother. No, seriously.

There are two types of people in this world, people who think Kawajiri is the number one lightweight, and people who think Gomi is the lightweight. Well, there are people who think Yves Edwards is, but we won't count retards in this.

I'm in the first group.

Couple of suprising MMA results over the past couple of weeks that deserve mention:

- Former WW fighter Ray "Brada" Cooper KO's Hermes Franca in his LW debut.

- Sam "The Squeeze" Morgan KO's Duane "Bang" Ludwig

- Falaniko Vitale KO's longtime SHOOTO LHW champion Masanori Suda

All fights were ended in the first round.

Guest Brian

I love this. From Sherdog, Wanderlei on the possibility of facing Ortiz:

After the fight between Vítor Belfort and Tito Ortiz, Silva spoke on which of the two would like to face and explained the reason. "If Ortiz will be in PRIDE I have the biggest will to fight with him," Silva said. "He is a very boring fighter. As well as everybody [else], I also want to beat him up. To fight with him I would even take a smaller purse, no problem. I would pound his face with the biggest pleasure. He gives declarations that have no basis on reality."

Guest Salacious Crumb

I have a quick question. I saw Genki Sudo on one of the UFC DVDs I bought awhile ago and found him to be highly entertaining. How skilled of a fighter is he? I also heard he made Butterbean submit in a fight. So any info and opinions on him would be very welcome.

I have a quick question. I saw Genki Sudo on one of the UFC DVDs I bought awhile ago and found him to be highly entertaining. How skilled of a fighter is he? I also heard he made Butterbean submit in a fight. So any info and opinions on him would be very welcome.

Genki could easily be a top 10 fighter if he fought better competition, and possibly a top 5 fighter if he were to take his fights more seriously.

As it is though, he's more than happy fighting MMA neophytes and fucking around in the ring against competition that he shouldn't (IE- the Duance Ludwig fight).

Couple of suprising MMA results over the past couple of weeks that deserve mention:

- Former WW fighter Ray "Brada" Cooper KO's Hermes Franca in his LW debut.

- Sam "The Squeeze" Morgan KO's Duane "Bang" Ludwig

- Falaniko Vitale KO's longtime SHOOTO LHW champion Masanori Suda

All fights were ended in the first round.

Ray Cooper's been around a long time in MMA terms, good to see him get a big win.

Guest Brian

From Meltzer:

1. Wrestlemania 21 (359)*

2. UFC Ultimate Knockouts 1 & 2 (877)

3. WWE Viva Las Divas (1,169)

4. UFC 48: Ken Shamrock vs. Kimo (2,399)

5. UFC 43: Randy Couture vs. Chuck Liddell (2,607)

6. Hulk Still Rules (2,680)

7. UFC 49: Couture vs. Vitor Belfort (2,706)

8. UFC 44: Couture vs. Tito Ortiz (2,727)

9. UFC Volume I (2,790)

10. 2005 Royal Rumble (2,791)

In fact, 9 of the top 15 DVDs in the pro wrestling category this week were UFC titles, a category WWE usually dominates, and likely will be dominating again within two or three weeks.

From mmaweekly:

"Ultimate Knockouts" Special on Spike TV Draws Strong Rating with Zero Marketing Build-Up

MMAWeekly's Ivan Trembow reports that The "Ultimate Knockouts" special on Spike TV last Friday night drew a 1.1 overall rating, which is an increase of 40% from what Spike TV normally draws in that timeslot.

That was an un-announced special that literally didn't have one commercial run for it. Spike TV just wanted to see if they could throw UFC programming against a wall with no hype or commercials and still draw a big rating, and that's exactly what happened.

Spike executives were surprised and pleased and Dana White last weekend passing buy media members that they've signed on for a season 2 and possibly a season 3.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Could someone list some of the teams from UFC for me and maybe list a few of the fighters belonging to it and the advantages of said group.

They don't really deal with teams too much now, it's more fighter to fighter.

Team Quest has Couture, Lindland, Leben and Quarry who have been on UFC TV and PPVs. Other guys include Ryan Schultz, Chael Sonnen and Dan Henderson. All round good GNP, good wrestling, good sub defense, but their strong sub fighters are few in number.

Miletich Fighting Systems includes Jeremy Horn, Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin, Robbie Lawler, Tim Sylvia, Jens Pulver, Justin Eilers and Tony Fryklund. A real mixed bag, but most seem to have decent wrestling and striking and again only a few real sub artists in their ranks like Jeremy Horn.

American Kickboxing Academy has Josh Thomson, Mike Swick, Paul Buentello, Mike Kyle and Rich Crunkilton. Quality strikers with some flash subs.

They are really the three teams with the most fighters in the UFC.

Guest Brian

I think Koscheck and Southworth also train at AKA, though I'm too lazy to actually look it up.

I'm thinking about going to Dome of Destruction next week. The only thing that's really holding me back right now is going to Tacoma. Anyone who's looked at the card and may know a couple of the guys (I recognize a few), is the card worth a trip to Tacoma?

Bout 1) Lt. Heavyweights

Chilo Gonzalez, Denver, Colorado -VS- Justin Davis, Olympia, Washington

Bout 2) Lt. Weights

Josh Buck, Ogden, Utah –VS- Jeffrey Willingham, Orem,Utah

Bout 3) Middleweights

Kyle Burgess, Ogden, Utah –VS- Clyde Jenkins, Anchorage, Alaska

Bout 4) Heavyweights

Craig Salazar, Ogden, Utah –VS- Nathan Burbane, Orem, Utah

Bout 5) Middleweights

Demarques Johnson, Salt Lake City, Utah –VS- Paul Purcells, Olympia, WA

Bout 6) Heavyweights

Jeremy Peterson, Orem, Utah –VS- Daime Idaho, Boise Idaho

Bout 7) Heavyweight

Josh Haynes, Oregon –VS- Marcos Oliveria, Olympia, WA

Bout 8) Lt. Weight

Charlie Fortik, Boise, Idaho -VS- Chad Nelson, Oregon

Bout 9) Welterweight

Brandon Melendez, Salt Lake City, Utah –VS- Travis Doerge, Olympia, WA

----------Main Event----------

Middleweights

Josh Burkman, Gresham, Oregon –VS- Jeremy Horn, Salt Lake City, Utah

Guest Salacious Crumb

Ok I've got another stupid noob type question for you guys.

I've heard you can counter a triangle choke if your strong enough to lift and slam the other guy. How often has this happened and is it very effective?

Also was Uno hurt very badly after getting suplexed onto his head at UFC 44.

I've heard you can counter a triangle choke if your strong enough to lift and slam the other guy. How often has this happened and is it very effective?

It can definitely work, but there's a few drawbacks:

- The slammer has to be strong enough to lift his opponent and then slam them hard enough to get them to break the hold.

- If the move fails, chances are the slammer won't have enough energy to try anything else.

- The fighter with the triangle can hook the slammer's leg, thus keeping him from lifting up.

Overall, it seems to work about 30% of the time, from what I've seen.

I've heard you can counter a triangle choke if your strong enough to lift and slam the other guy.  How often has this happened and is it very effective?

It can definitely work, but there's a few drawbacks:

- The slammer has to be strong enough to lift his opponent and then slam them hard enough to get them to break the hold.

- If the move fails, chances are the slammer won't have enough energy to try anything else.

- The fighter with the triangle can hook the slammer's leg, thus keeping him from lifting up.

Overall, it seems to work about 30% of the time, from what I've seen.

The most effective method is to throw the legs over your head or something to that effect, correct? Of course if its locked in, its pretty impossible to escape.

best way to escape a triangle is to roll to the side your arm is pointing and try to sit on their back, if possible using the forearm of the trapped arm as the support. They have no leverage on the choke that way.

A good jiujitsu guy will hook a leg or move to the side to tighten the choke, making it harder to lift them anyway. Alternatively, if they sit up and break the base of the other person and force them head towards the ground, then it is impossible for them to stand up. Also head control can using a wrestlig grip behind the person's head to really keep them tight can put them to sleep before they have the chance to slam.

I watched Shogun vs. Babalu the other night, and gotdamn that's a fine match. Shoguns guard work was surprisingly good (better than Wanderleis and Ninjas, maybe the best out of those I have seen in the Chute Boxe Academy) but he wasn't as stomp or knee-happy, which makes me wonder if they were against the rules. He needs to work on his takedown defense, as Babalus took him down pretty easily and his punching from the guard (he needs more shoulder-development to fire-off stronger punches) is Fedor-like in form but not in impact or execution. Shit, if Fedor trained for a month or two with the Chute Boxe Academy, both he and Shogun would be even more dangerous.

I'm ready for Shogun to lose, just to see you hop off of his bandwagon. Lil' Nog and Arona could handle him, I believe. Silva could too, Vovchanchyn and Overeem on the other hand, I don't know, and he would be way too much for a broken down Sakuraba to handle.

I don't bandwagon jump BR4L. Shogun beat that lil pussy-ass bitch loser Rampage and he'll destroy everyone else.

I've liked Shogun for a while now, since he debuted in PRIDE at least, it's more of a Flavour-of-the-month than Bandwagon jumping.

I think Shogun could take Silva, Igor and Alistair. Silva has a weak chin, as shown against Sak, Hendo, and Hunt. It's just with them, they didn't really capitalize on it like Shogun would. Shogun is a killer, IMO even more so than Wanderlei or his brother. Silva would be lunch meat against Shogun. Igor and Alistair would be out grappled on the ground by Shogun, easily, and I think would have lots of trouble with him standing.

The Other Nog is iffy, and Arona is the best bet. But Arona went to a decision against Ninja, and Shogun is better than his brother. Aronas wrestling could get Shogun on the ground, but I don't think he could keep Shogun there (Shogun did very well against Babalu on the ground) and the rules in PRIDE better favour Mauricio than the IFC, stand ups would be easier to get, so he could inflict more damage. Rua is one of the most entertaining fighters out there, it would be a shame if they paired him up with either guy in the next round just because they'd try to ride him out for a decision. I stand by Shogun winning the tournament, if him beating Rampage didn't teach you guys anything, then whomever he faces next hopefully will.

The UFC needs to get a hold of Shogun, or Ninja. The UFC fans love the knees, and they'd bring em in spades. Put em up against a can, let them get an impressive win, and build from there. Liddell vs. Either would be awesome.

I don't bandwagon jump BR4L. Shogun beat that lil pussy-ass bitch loser Rampage and he'll destroy everyone else.

I've liked Shogun for a while now, since he debuted in PRIDE at least, it's more of a Flavour-of-the-month than Bandwagon jumping.

I think Shogun could take Silva, Igor and Alistair. Silva has a weak chin, as shown against Sak, Hendo, and Hunt. It's just with them, they didn't really capitalize on it like Shogun would. Shogun is a killer, IMO even more so than Wanderlei or his brother. Silva would be lunch meat against Shogun. Igor and Alistair would be out grappled on the ground by Shogun, easily, and I think would have lots of trouble with him standing.

The Other Nog is iffy, and Arona is the best bet. But Arona went to a decision against Ninja, and Shogun is better than his brother. Aronas wrestling could get Shogun on the ground, but I don't think he could keep Shogun there (Shogun did very well against Babalu on the ground) and the rules in PRIDE better favour Mauricio than the IFC, stand ups would be easier to get, so he could inflict more damage. Rua is one of the most entertaining fighters out there, it would be a shame if they paired him up with either guy in the next round just because they'd try to ride him out for a decision. I stand by Shogun winning the tournament, if him beating Rampage didn't teach you guys anything, then whomever he faces next hopefully will.

The UFC needs to get a hold of Shogun, or Ninja. The UFC fans love the knees, and they'd bring em in spades. Put em up against a can, let them get an impressive win, and build from there. Liddell vs. Either would be awesome.

Silva having that weak chin must be the reason why he lost all those fights... oh wait.

Silva has a good chin, he takes one on the button but still keeps going. I have yet to see him get hit with anything by anyone that has slowed him down.

Lil' Nog and Arona would do to Shogun the exact same thing as Babalu did in their fight.

Guest Deft

Ugh. I'm so sick of Shogun. A broken rib and cans doesn't impress me. He's exciting to watch and has potential, sure. I've just had enough of his bandwagon and want him to lose. Hopefully his TD defense has improved since the Babalu fight or he could be in for a long night against Arona, Rogerio, or Saku.

Silva got rocked enough in those fights to go down to his knees, the difference with Shogun is that he'd press the fight so that Silva would stay down.

Shogun destroying Rampage -a top 5 middleweight- isn't impressive?

Destroying Kanehara, someone who Cro Cop couldn't put down, isn't impressive?

You would think that someone who's seen enough MMA as you RRR, would not be using the he beat a guy who another guy couldn't beat in a certain amount of time argument.

The thing about Silva is that his recovery power is amazing, no one has the chance to take advantage of their hits on him. If motherfucking Mark Hunt can't knock Silva out with clean shots, no one can.

Bah, shogun is starting to be overrated. Beating Jackson is impressive, but Jackson is so messed up at this point that it's hard to really gauge how much that matters. Shogun has REALLY sloppy standup, which he makes up for with a gas tank and agression. I can't believe you think that Silva would be "lunch meat".

I don't see him getting past the second round if he faces either of the BTT guys, which is what is most likely going to happen.