TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Guest Deft

Enough of this TUF bullshit. Griffin headlining a PPV? I want my old UFC back :(

Anyways, Ninja should be awesome in the cage. I wonder if they'll match him up with Babalu. Outside of him, Randy, or Chuck, they really don't have anyone who I can see standing a chance against Rua.

Guest Deft
PRIDE made an internal announcement (means not yet a formal one) that they have signed a deal with Fox Sports chanel and will be starting a program on their every Sunday night for 1 hour from 9:00pm. To start with it will be showing old and new fights mixed together, but may lead to some new areas down the road.

via http://forum.kakutougi.info/showthread.php?t=2157

Awesome.

Random question that I'm sure longtime fans are sick of answering but it's something I've always wondered considering I always read about the guy being a UFC legend: what happened to Frank Shamrock? He's on the outs with UFC and Dana White, correct? Can someone just give some background to that and what he's up to now? Thanks.

Guest Brian
In another MMAWeekly exclusive, MMAWeekly's Scott Petersen breaks the story that Pride has signed a new TV deal in the United States with Fox Sports Network.

In Nagoya, Japan Pride through an internal announcement made it known that they will be on TV in America. Pride will be on the Fox Sports Network. This will be a weekly TV show that will be aired on Sunday evening at 9pm during primetime. This will be a one hour program that will start with assorted pre-televised fights. DSE will release a formal announcement soon.

In addition to the inroads that the UFC has made on TV this will be another step towards making MMA big in the States.

From MMAWeekly, confirmation on the above. Awesome.

--A correction from what we mistakenly had up early yesterday, the brackets for the Pride tournament are Wanderlei Silva vs. Ricardo Arona and Alistair Overeem vs. Mauricio Shogun Rua

- Da Meltz

Holy Crappin Crap. Shogun might just win this thing :)

Guest Deft

Go Arona~! I think he can definitely hold Silva down for the 2 rounds. I have a feeling the refs will be more than happy to stand them up early, though. Still, he's my pick to not only upset Wanderlei but win it all.

Guest Deft

From what I've read it was a mixture of a lot of things as to why he left the UFC. Frank would probably say it's because he felt he accomplished all he could.

The truth is that it was most likely financial issues. I think he's said he never really planned on fighting for a career but because he was good at it, he did it for the money. He felt that he was worth more than what the UFC was paying him and Dana disagreed (ala Tito).

Another thing that he's stated is how he wasn't a fan of how the UFC did business and how many fighters were dropped after losing a fight.

I really don't know exactly as I don't think there's ever been anything truely solid as to why he left. I'd chalk it up to just disagreemnts over money/contracts/etc with Dana and crew... much like issues Tito, Penn, Barnett, Pulver, etc. had. I think Shamrock is rather delusional and egomaniacal and Dana White is exactly the same, so it might've just been a clashing of powers.

Frank is set to fight Caesar Gracie sometime this fall in San Jose. They've been fueding for years and this match has been supposedly signed numerous times only to fall through at the last minute.

I'm sure someone else can provide a better answer with some more factual info regarding the Frank/UFC deal as I'm just going off the top of my head.

Go Arona~! I think he can definitely hold Silva down for the 2 rounds. I have a feeling the refs will be more than happy to stand them up early, though. Still, he's my pick to not only upset Wanderlei but win it all.

Despite the fact that Arona punished Sakuraba with knees, he still looked very hesitant standing. It will be very interesting to see how he reacts to an aggressive Silva.

The main reason I heard was that Shamrock always felt that the UFC didn't pay their fighters enough, which I agree with him on. This seems a lot more complex than that, so I'll assume that that's not the only issue and that he must be wrong on something else.

Also, with Shogun facing overreem, I have a feeling he'll beat him early and Arona will have a long drawn out war with Silva. So that should make things interesting to say the least. Of course, my interest in this pales in comparison to the Heavyweight Title match.

Oh, and Tank's back too. That should be fun.

Just finished watching Tokoro/Lil Nogueira. Another FOTYC. Goddamn, 2005 is turning out just fine. Half-way through and there's a sick amount of great matches (going by WON standards, including Dec 04)

Hansen/Uno

Trigg/Hughes

St. Pierre/Miller

Franklin/Tanner

Tanner/Terrell

Tokoro/Nog

Pulver/Gomi

Gomi/Silva

Shogun/Nog

Fedor/Nog

Hunt/Silva

Bonnar/Griffin

Shogun/Jackson

I know a lot of those could be disputed as FOTYC, but -to me- those are all awesome matches. I didn't even count Sanchez/Koscheck or Bonnar/Southworth, because I wasn't sure of the date and I'm not sure if those are sanctioned.

Fedor/Nog III was pretty climactic, IMO. Jackson/Shogun is a fun beatdown match, but I don't know if it's a MOTYC. It's sort of in the same vein as Igor/Enson from a few years back, or Goodridge/Yatsu from Pride 11. I don't know about Terrell/Tanner either, it seemed like 80% of that match was just Tanner riding Terrell and throwing some elbows on him before the ref stopped it.

I totally agree with the others and I think Pride is on a down year for great matches. 2002 was the best year for Pride match quality-wise, IMO.

And if anyone can catch the K-1 MAX, do so, it should be up on torrents around Thursday or so, as it's happening this morning, eastern standard time.

Tanner/Terrell is fantastic. Terrell actually dominated most of the fight and the story is tremendous. Terrell, the young, brash, cocky, favourite. Tanner, the weathered underdog. Terrell gets the early advantage, but when Tanner takes Terrells best and gets through it, Terrell is FUCKED and gets his ass stomped by the vet.

Tanner/Terrell is fantastic.  Terrell actually dominated most of the fight and the story is tremendous.  Terrell, the young, brash, cocky, favourite.  Tanner, the weathered underdog.  Terrell gets the early advantage, but when Tanner takes Terrells best and gets through it, Terrell is FUCKED and gets his ass stomped by the vet.

Oh, I couldn't really remember that fight since I only watched it once, I'll have to go back and check it out. And rewatching the Rampage fight, I'm less and less impressed with Shogun's standup It just seemed sloppy at times, and his Muay Thai technique isn't as sound as Alistair's. Rampage with a broken rib was just a sitting duck for most of those strikes. I might just go with Overeem by KO in their fight.

I don't agree with that logic, Chuck KO'ed Tito, Randy and Babalu, do you believe that Shogun would go through them like hot butter?

They're two very different fighters, I don't think a solid comparison can be made. I still think Shogun will run through Overeem like nobody's business, since I think Overeem is overrated as hell right now, but I just don't like the way you put it.

EDIT: Are you sure Terrell dominated most of the fight? I remember a neutral standup, than about 20 seconds of working a guillotine by Terrell, then 3 minutes of ass whooping by Tanner. The little that Terrell did dominate he didn't really dominate, working for a guillotine and not getting it isn't really domination.

I don't agree with that logic, Chuck KO'ed Tito, Randy and Babalu, do you believe that Shogun would go through them like hot butter?

Did I say them?

YeeeNO.

Tito would be an interesting fight - would he react the same way to Shogun as he did Chuck (petrified...). I mean, Tito got rocked by Cote fer chrisakes. Couture is a no, because I didn't think Chuck could KO him either. Babalu is a no, because Liddell was the only guy to KO him and I'd chalk that up to "freak occurance". Overeem is a different animal than those three. Overeem is willing to stand and trade, as he did with Chuck, and he got KO'd from a wild punch, which he could very well get hit with against Shogun.

EDIT: Are you sure Terrell dominated most of the fight? I remember a neutral standup, than about 20 seconds of working a guillotine by Terrell, then 3 minutes of ass whooping by Tanner. The little that Terrell did dominate he didn't really dominate, working for a guillotine and not getting it isn't really domination.

I was surprised by how much Terrell controlled the fight when I saw it again. But he did do much better than I remembered. Watch it again, you'll see.

When you say if Chuck could KO Overeem, than Shogun would knife through him, you're implying that if Chuck can do something, Shogun will do it better. Which is why I brought those guys up, and which is why I disagreed with the logic of your sentence. I now realize the emphasis is more on Overeem, but I would like to hear you expand on why Shogun would have a better chance at KO'ing him than Chuck did, as Shogun doesn't have the power that Chuck has. Although I admit that what he lacks in the power he makes up for in aggression.

The reason Tito was afraid of Chuck was because he was planning to stand with him and do to him what Rampage and Randy did. There was one problem--he doesn't have the ability. He realized that to take Chuck down he'd have to strike a little to get there, but he just wasn't good enough. If he were to fight Shogun, he wouldn't have to worry about a vicious sprawl. Obviously Shogun has a striker's chance, but it's doubtful. Tito has shown the ability to get back from being rocked, like in the Kondo and Wanderlei fights.

It's not a freak occurence just because it's the only KO loss of their careers. I mean, all three only have one KO loss, and the fact that they were all against the same guy shows that it's more of a "this guy has more KO power than anyone else in his division" type of occurence.

EDIT: Whatever happened to Nuthugger? That one is a classic.

Just for shits and giggles, with the LHW rankings being topsy turvy recently, what are youse guys' rankings for the top ten?

1) Chuck

2) Wanderlei

3) Randy

4) Babalu

5) Shogun

6) Arona

7) Lil Nog

8) Rampage

9) Tito (If he's still fighting)

10) Overeem

Kazushi Sakuraba is reportedly on his way to Brazil to train at the Chute Boxe Academy. According to Chute Boxe patriarch , Rafael Cordeiro, Sakuraba will be arriving in the city of Curitiba to adapt his style to the highly successful fight team and to further his training.

The UFC had previously allowed some fighters to fight in Pride and now Pride will be returning the favor.

Murilo "Ninja" has reportedly finalized a deal to fight in the October UFC as a Pride representative. Ninja will be fighting in the Light-Heavyweight division.

--Gracie Fighter.com

I heard about that with Ninja, I wish that he would have dropped some weight and become a middleweight though. Seems more natural for him. I can't see him making any real waves, though it is exciting to see a Chute boxe fighter in the UFC. Don't match him up with Couture, whatever you do.

I get hard at the prospect of Kid mauling Morkevicius if given the chance... almost as hard as at the thought of him defeating Melendez.

Anyone know why it takes so long to get MMA dvd's out?

UFC 52 still won't be out until September, and Pride just now released Cold Fury 3.

It doesn't seem like it would be very hard to get these out a month after the ppv.

Guest Deft

Hidehiko Yoshida vs. Tank Abbott - now official

Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Igor Vovchanchyn - GP reserve match

www.prideofficial.com

Not terribly excited about either but they should be entertaining. The alternate match came out of left field. I wonder if Belfort and/or Kondo will still be appearing.