TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

The reason why there are so many UFC "nuthuggers" is because most of us aren't able to easily access PRIDE media. Unlike UFC which is on virtually everytime you turn on SpikeTV.

Now I wish this post would lead to a lot of full PRIDE matches being uploaded here.

And the performance after against Hughes. I can't help but think that if I actually knew about this fight, plus about how dominant Hughes really was, that I would have appreciated the win as it happened a lot more. It's ironic that in picking BJ to beat Hughes, I actually showed how little I knew at the time.

Watched Gomi vs. Penn, the second round was pretty competitive but the rest of it was BJ Penn dominating. Jeesus, it's kinda hard not to think of that guy as the best fighter in the world, especially after a performance like that.

I'd go more along the lines of "kind of competitive."

Holy shit, why didn't anyone talk about UFC 37 before? This show is AMAZING. If it came out this year it would easily be a Card of the year candidate. This one is overlooked as I don't see many talk about it that much. I don't remember much about 2002 since all my knowledge of it is based through fights I saw after they happened (I didn't watch MMA regularly at the time) but I don't see how this can't be the best card of that year, barring some SHOOTO show or something I didn't see, and that I highly doubt.

Robbie Lawler vs. Aaron Riley - FOTYC

Andrei Semenov vs. Ivan Salaverry - FOTYC

Yves vs. Uno - Really good fight, though I have to watch this one again to get a better idea.

Baroni vs. Suloev - really fun fight

Penn vs. Creighton - Didn't see the first round, but seeing BJ dominate someone is always fun.

Ricco vs. TK - Really good fight, nice to see Ricco dominate someone on his way to the title. Part of his tremendously good 2002 run, though it led to a 2003 that was tremendously bad.

Busta vs. Lindland - FOTYC, and Busta gives one of the best performances that you will ever see from a fighter EVER. (I think I mention this all the time, but until you all see this fight I won't stop).

Goddamn, everyone watch this one, I'm trying to think, and I think Salaverry vs. Semenov might be the FOTY for '02. The ref was awful, but I can't blame him because if he did his job the match would have had more stops in the action and probably wouldn't have lasted as long. If Semenov knew English and the rules he might have actually complained about some of the infractions. Anyways, this match was super fun and lots of action, on the ground and a little bit standing. I always thought Semenov was a small MW and this fight shows it, next to Ivan who is always huge. Anyone know how much trouble it would be for him to drop to WW, or if he could?

If you haven't seen this show, do it. NOW

Edited by Your Paragon of Virtue

- UFC 37 is actually an example that gets thrown around of a card that was plagued by injuries & dogged by fans beforehand, but ended up turning out very entertaining nonetheless.

- Semenov went into the fight against Salaverry with a slight fever, but what possibly hurt him even more (and definitely did in the future) were his shit training habits, as he was becoming more and more interested in becoming an actor than training for fights.

Semenov was always a medium-sized MW (most MW's look smallish compared to Salaverry anyways), though he didn't have a lot of fat or excess muscle to lose anyways (and not many Russian fighters cut weight much, either).

- Also, Ricco bloodying and bruising TK's face up still ranks up there with what Fedor did to him in the rematch.

Edited by Lei Tong

lol SEmenov doesn't seem to have the star power an actor that doesn't know how to act would need. He looks clueless more than anything. But the finish to the fight is one of the most brutal you will find, perhaps accentuated by the fact that he is so damn pale.

Anyways, Suloev cuts weight for 185, so I guess they're learning. I thought he could cut water weight, since it's not like Hughes or GSP look like they walk around with excess fat, but cut about 16-20 lbs anyway. Look at Franklin.

What injuries were there and why would fans dog it beforehand? It's not like it had Buentello-Arlovski or Kimo-Ken, most of the matches on it were highly competitive and featured skilled fighters.

WHile Ricco messed him up, I don't think it was nearly as bad as what Fedor did to him. Ricco beat him up, but Fedor simply mauled him.

Can you think of a card from '02 that was better? Serious question, I really can't.

I don't think they're accepting new users anyway at the moment. I don't know how this stuff works, am I supposed to keep my mouth shut about this? What are the consequences for me spilling the beans?

*Awaits geeky fat white guy in a "Northern Weapon" shirt to drop in on me*

That was about the geekiest reference I could think of.

- Vitor Belfort, Evan Tanner, Dave Menne, Igor Zinoviev, Joao Pierini & Joe Hurley all suffered injuries that forced them off the card.

- Aside from having 5 UFC debuts from guys few fans new about (Salaverry, Riley, Lawler, Berger & Radach), people showed little interest in either LW fight (Penn, Uno & Edwards had all lost their previous UFC bouts), Lindland & Ricco were seen as rather boring G&P guys, not many respected Bustamante much yet, and TK was seen as an old, past his prime fighter.

Well that explains UFC 37, but what I'm also realizing that a lot of these other events are turning out good. Brawl in the hall was decent, as was When Worlds Collide (how was that live?). UFC 34 is also another solid show.

Early Zuffa stuff is actually not as bad as I thought, save for the Tito cards, which is funny because he was the poster boy, yet his cards were the worst in those days. These events are certainly better than UFC 53, 55, 56. UFC has been in a bit of a slide lately, though with all the announcements for 2006, they should be able to pick it up again.

UFC 36 played out a bit better in person, though that was due more to the atmosphere, with Hayato Sakurai's US debut, Barnett dethroning Couture, and Mir & Serra amazing the crowd on the ground. However, there were also a number of things that brought the card down, like Matt Hughes & Sean Sherk's slow, grinding wins, Maragaret Goodman's premature stoppage of Sinosic/Tanner, and a relatively uneventful stretch of action from the opening PPV bout to midway through Rizzo/Arlovski.

I also have to say that I don't agree with the Ricco comments, as his fight with Monson certainly didn't have boring GnP, the one right before TK. His cartwheel guard passes were also pretty entertaining.

You say BJ is known in BJJ for his positional skills (I saw the fight with Rodrigo, so I can see why), but Monson is the same way and everyone boos him. I think maybe it's American fans, as if you put those UFC fans to watch BJ in one of the tournaments, he'd get booed too. I know the ADCC fans are more intelligent, but still, I don't see a difference between top control here and top control there, so I don't know why they would boo him.

Speaking of which, that takes away from enjoyment of fights sometime, like when they boo a five second lull in the salaverry fight, or something, it's really lame, especially considering how active they were in general.

Monson is booed because unlike BJ, who'll still actively search for a submission or finish once he's gained position, guys like Monson are rather content to lay in someone's guard until they're opponent's patience runs out and actually TRY something (as opposed to trying to create an opening themselves), at which point Monson or whomever will pass their guard for 3 points, and hold on for the win. Conversly, if they can just score a takedown, they'll simply wait in an opponent's guard until the end of regulation.

Monson's actually a pretty muscular guy, and doesn't have much problem muscling around most of the unskilled fatasses who litter the HW MMA scene, which in turns leads to finishes, and in turn leads to the horrifying possiblity of another shot in the UFC.

There's actually some pretty intruiging HW bouts on that rumoured card.

Also, I don't worry too much about Monson vs. Arlovski. Even 4 years ago, Ricco was a much better all around grappler than Monson, and Arlovski was able to give him problems before he gassed/got clocked.

I still haven't seen that. That was one of the main fights I was looking forward to on UFC 32, and it was edited to a mere clip of Ricco getting up with his arms raised after the ref broke it up. How was that fight?

Also, I doubt Ricco had the Takedown ability Monson has now, as well as the ground control from top, aka holding someone down.

Edited by Your Paragon of Virtue