TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Well I just want to know why people learn Taekwondo, Kung Fu, Karate, and all that shit if it isn't effective at all. Why? Why is it even still taught if it does nothing?

That's all I want to iknow.

It's only in the past decade that the traditional martial arts has been rebuked by MMA, and only a small portion of the population knows about MMA, even today. Back a few years ago even less knew about it. That may change in a few years if it gets more popular, but it's not necessarily a guarantee.

A lot of the public perception of Martial Arts comes from the movies. People have been conditioned that martial arts is the Bruce Lee kinda stuff with flying kicks and whatnot. The Karate Kid was another successful movie. Shows like Kung Fu and Ninja flicks. Then there's boxing movies. You don't really see Jiu Jitsu movies, or Judo movies, or even amatuer wrestling movies, mainly because they are not as stylish or as filmable as other martial arts.

Besides, most parents don't enroll their kids in Martial Arts because they want their kid to be a successful street fighter. It's more for discipline and to interact with other kids.

I didn't know guys like Chuck, Randy, Tito, and Hughes were fighting back in the early days of UFC before the sport was regulated. How did they do? What style did they use?

And I could've sworn Royce Gracie fought Paul Varleans once but I can't find it anywhere on the fight history.

And how good was Don Frye? And Severn for that matter?

Randy was really good for a rookie. He probably had one of the stronger rookies years in MMA history, imo. Plus he got to use his knees, which was sweet. Vitor was havin a really good year in 1997 until Randy derailed it. Vitor was a monster, destroying guys with very quick hands, and Randy comes along and beats him down. And Randy was considered too old even back then!

Tito more relied on power than anything. He was successful with it but there were certain holes in it for it to be exploited.

I haven't seen any of Hughes stuff pre-UFC, and by the time he was goin strong in the UFC it had developed their rules and rounds and weight classes more.

Chuck is almost the same today stylistically, but a lot more refined. I've only seen 2 or 3 matches of his during that period, so someone else could probably give a better pov than me. Chuck was generally considered boring up until his fight with Vitor and then Babalu-on, and picked up a lot more steam during that period due to his affiliation with Tito.

Royce never fought Varleans. Maybe you are thinking about Marco Ruas. Who, while looking nothing like Royce besides the dark hair and tanned skin, was the second most successful Brazilian in the UFC during that time.

Severn was a really good wrestler, which meant he had good takedowns and control on the ground. Beyond that, he wasn't very good. He is often mocked for his slaps, because he doesn't throw punches.

Don Frye was really good for that time. Tons of heart, good at wrestling, striking and did some submissions. Could be considered one of the first mixed martial artists in North America given that, but I might get some people (LEI!) calling me on that, which I welcome. Probably would have been helped out more if there were weight limits back then, as Mark Coleman ran over him mainly due to size and power. During his fight with Mark Hall, where he was pounding his ribs red and blue, he basically said to him "dude, you gotta quit".

- Randy was good early on in his career due to a Greco background that at that point was unheard of in MMA. He was also pretty good at using his semi-well-roundedness to exploit weaknesses in his opponents' games. However, he had a number of flaws, including some mediocre submission defense, pitter-patter G&P and somewhat questionable cardio when above 220-ish.

- Tito was roughly in the same boat as Randy, though he made up for the lack of wrestling pedigree with aggression and a better ability to deal damage. He was also one of the first massive lightheavyweights (along with Mezger & Inoue), and knew how to use his size and reach advanatge well. However, even back then it was obvious he didn't like to get hit (often panicking when caught), and it wasn't until after the Shamrock fight that his developed his great cardio.

- In his early UFC days, Chuck was more aggressive than he ever was until recently, but seemed to go in lacking a solid gameplan asid from just hitting his opponents and maybe slamming them if the urge hit him. Around the time he fought Monson, he started fighting more like a kickboxer, learning to pick his shots and using his sprawl more.

- Hughes was, even back then, the most massively powerful welterweight around. He competed at middleweight a number of times and had managed to overpower most guys there. However, he was pretty raw back then, relying almost completely on his slams and elbows to deal any real damage, and whenever he got put agaisnt someone with a bit of skill, size & toughness (Hallman, Gono, Pele, Kanehara), he struggled.

- Severn was basically what everyone thought Randy was upon entering MMA: a footnote in wrestling history with no shoot and bad knees. Seriously, his size and some semblence of wrestling ability and a couple of submissions are what made him a force for a good while. His wrestling was laughably bad at points, and his slappy G&P didn't exactly endear him to many people. It's hard to point out exactly when he became a complete joke.

- Frye has always been kind of overrated in my eyes. Yeah, he was a somewhat small, well-rounded guy who beat a number of larger guys... but so did Ruas, who wasn't that good himself. He had a decent 1-2 (automatically making him a better boxer than most guys at the time), knew how wrestle some (automatically making him a betetr wrestler than most guys at the time), and had a litte Judo experience (you get the point). He was one of the first jack-of-all-trade types in MMA, being able to do a little of everything, but none of them too well. He was lucky to face only 3 dangerous opponents in his time, one who had absolutely no heart a the time (Goodridge), one who kicked his ass before tripping over his own uncoordinated fatass (Tank), and one who kicked his ass period (Coleman).

Oh, and Tank was a "North American mixed martial artist" before Frye was. BOXING, WRESTLING, & NECK CRANKS, BIATCH!

Not many people do anymore, though many Judokas jumping into MMA have had to make a number of changes in adapting the art to MMA, including the loss of the jacket and more emphasis on newaza, or groundwork.

It's only in the past decade that the traditional martial arts has been rebuked by MMA, and only a small portion of the population knows about MMA, even today. Back a few years ago even less knew about it. That may change in a few years if it gets more popular, but it's not necessarily a guarantee.

A lot of the public perception of Martial Arts comes from the movies. People have been conditioned that martial arts is the Bruce Lee kinda stuff with flying kicks and whatnot. The Karate Kid was another successful movie. Shows like Kung Fu and Ninja flicks. Then there's boxing movies. You don't really see Jiu Jitsu movies, or Judo movies, or even amatuer wrestling movies, mainly because they are not as stylish or as filmable as other martial arts.

Besides, most parents don't enroll their kids in Martial Arts because they want their kid to be a successful street fighter. It's more for discipline and to interact with other kids.

Yeah I understand that but how come it was still taught if kids back in the 80's were still getting beat up in school despite being a black belt or black belts were getting beat on in bars?

And how did they survive from when they were invented to now if they were pretty much useless?

Kids are being taught that stuff because con artists exist, and always will. The fact that you have been somehow convinced that there is a crazy motherfucker hiding out in Hong Kong that could kick anyone's ass is proof of the power of the "big lie".

Rather, you should believe in a humble Russian man who does the dishes and cleans the house afterwards (both literally and figuratively).

Severn is hated on by most people I know that know wrestling. He was wayyyyy past his prime when he started fighting, and his prime wasn't that good to begin with. Also, his shot was awful, and consisted of lowering his head and charging.

Gary Goodridge has heart now, but that doesn't make up for the lack of chin. Interesting story about him though; a purple belt (so you know he knows his shit) at my old gym in Toronto sparred with Gary before. Now, he's a big guy and weighs about 230 or so, and he was the bodybuilding champ of Toronto (hence the title Mr. Toronto) so you know he's a strong mother fucker. Gary Goodridge let him get an armbar in place, from mount, and told him to finish. So you had this huge man using his entire body on another guy's arms essentially. Well, not only did Gary not budge,but he actually pulled it back. His background from Arm wrestling comes in handy.

Other cool story; another guy who is also a big guy went to train in Brazil with BTT. Apparently Nog's grip is so strong, then when he grabbed the guy's wrist, the guy couldn't move his hand. BJJ is all about technique my ass. It helps to have a fucking vice grip for a hand.

Mark Coleman has long stated that Minotauro has the most insane grip strength he has ever felt, wrestling, MMA or otherwise.

Of course, this also makes Fedor simply pulling his arms away at will within his guard all the more impressive.

That's what I thought too. I remember Mark Coleman talking about how sick his hand strength was. Then I remembered him controlling Gary Goodridge with ease. And then I remembered how he managed to somehow lock up Mirko's hand at first with only his hands, rather than his whole arms.

This caused me to be even more impressed with Fedor who just pulled his hands out and threw bomb after bomb. Also impressive that roided up Ricco avoided Nog's dangerous shit at ADCC and pulled off that kneebar. The guy was a monster back then.

Not to make excuses or anything but I believe Nog was working through a substantial knee injury in their ADCC bout. I've always liked their Pride match for some reason, despite the controversy. Wished Ricco would have done a bit more than lay all over him, but still a good fight regardless.

Sorry to post so close to another one but Imanari is OUT of his fight with Pulver this Sunday due to a severe asthma attack. Kenji Arai is his replacement.

total-mma.com

As soon as I read this, I see this: http://mmafighting.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14393

Take it for what it's worth, but this guy is usually a pretty reliable rumor source.

Ricco probably wouldn't have tooled Nog as bad as he did, but roided Ricco was still bigger, stronger, and a better wrestler than Nog, and probably would've beat him by a fair margin on points.

Oh, and Arai via biggerness.

Derrick Noble is Fickett's replacement, which is pretty good for a last minute guy, as he has a decent skillset and has history with Alves, being the first guy to have ever beat him.

Marco Ruas has been 40 years old for about 15 years now.

Gonzaga out vs. Imes, replaced by Christison. MMAos is in full effect so far this year.

If you search on YouTube you can find the Rich Franklin All Access that was done one SPIKE a few weeks ago. Search "Rich Franklin" and I'm sure you will find it.

There are usually fighter diaries posted when there's an up coming event, I know Insidefighting.com has done them before, and I know Mike Swick did one for his last fight which you can find on his blog and website.

In addition to my Pride/UFC question where can I find UFC title histories?

And are the Pride DVDs worth it? My local Best Buy has the 1-5 DVD set for 15.99 and the 12-16 set for 19.99.

I've never really watched Pride before. What's so different between it and UFC aside from the Octagon and Ring?

In addition to my Pride/UFC question where can I find UFC title histories?

And are the Pride DVDs worth it? My local Best Buy has the 1-5 DVD set for 15.99 and the 12-16 set for 19.99.

I've never really watched Pride before. What's so different between it and UFC aside from the Octagon and Ring?

Pride=no elbows but allows kicks and knees to a downed opponents head.

UFC=no kicks and knees to a downed opponent's head but allows elbows.

Pride=10, 5, 5, round system (10, 5 for Bushido)

UFC=5, 5, 5, round system (5, 5, 5, 5, 5 for title fights)

The judging criteria is slightly different, UFC usually rewards takedowns and control, while Pride usually rewards aggressiveness, willingness to finish the fight.

I would say the quality of Pride's fighters are a little bit higher, if only because of their bigger pocketbook. UFC does possess most of the top American fighters, however. The match quality is roughly the same. If anything, I would say the overall quality of the UFC cards has been higher than the Prides as of late, discounting the Bushidos (Pride's side attraction, mostly showcasing fighters 185 pounds and less.

The PRIDE 12-16 box set is definitely worth it, IMO. Nog debuts at PRIDE, Silva obliterates Sakuraba, Liddell fights in PRIDE for the first time, Quinton Jackson debuts... there's a bunch of really fun fights (Jackson/Sak, Silva/Hendo, Liddell/Mezger, Nog/Coleman.. you will get your moneys worth)

http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/p...ther/ufctit.htm for UFC title histories

Pride Title Histories are pretty simple as the champs rarely have title defenses, and PRIDE has been in tournament-mode for the past few years, so any losses (Arona beats Silva) don't warrant a title change.

HW:

Nog beats Herring to become first PRIDE HW champ

Fedor beats Nog

Nog beats Cro Cop to become Interim Champion after Fedor is sidelined with an injury and cannot defend against Cro Cop.

Fedor beats Nog to unify the HW title

MW (205)

Silva beats Sakuraba to become first PRIDE MW champ

WW (183)

Dan Henderson beats Murilo Bustamante

LW (165 - I think)

Takanori Gomi beats Hayato Sakurai

I have to say, I am really enjoying SPIKES website in regards to the UFC stuff. They have a Forrest Video Documentary which is lots of fun, there's a hilarious feature on Bonnar cutting weight for his fight against Irvin, and the section where they go over different MMA moves and styles is tremendous (Bonnar loves him some Van Damme!)

And Dean Lister will be on TUF3 as Titos Assistant (Jiu Jitsu) coach.

Watching Forrest interview Tito is hilarious because they try not to look at each other. Tension~!

"What's it like bein hot?" - Forrest to Rachelle (with "Do people, like, give you stuff?" as a follow up)

"I keep my pimp hand strong" - Noah to Forrest after the question "Do you think your girlfriend will cheat on you while you are in the TUF house?"

"I know that if we were to step outside, I'd kill any one of em" - Michael Bisping