TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

That's one of the hot topics goin around the net.

Chuck wants it. Dana wants it.

Rampage is the issue, and money is his main concern.

For one, Rampage makes more in Japan on his contract, however word is he thinks he can make more in the UFC with the contract + sponsorship. If the UFC were willing to match his PRIDE pay, I think he'd do it in an instant, but Dana won't. Dana likes to pay guys what he thinks they are worth - and he doesn't think Rampage is worth as much in the UFC as he is in PRIDE. PRIDE isn't nearly as well known in the states, so it's not like Jackson vs. Chuck is this huge money match like Couture vs. Chuck where both guys are making $250,000.

Besides, Rampage doesn't want to come in right away and fight Chuck. He wants to have some fights under his belt and not just be fed to the champ. Thing is, Rampage vs. Joe Bumfuck isn't going to bring in big money, but Rampage will still be making big money on his contract (because it's not like Quinton is going to sign a contract that gives him Rich Franklin pay, he will -at the very least- want something around $50-70,000 in my view to show, per fight, or else he'll make more fighting in PRIDE - and don't ask what guys in PRIDE make, because they haven't released any figures). However, this all said, the UFC can certainly afford Rampage. They can afford anyone right now with the money they are pulling in. They just don't want to be competitive and start bidding wars.

Lemme try and list the UFC title histories from memory:

Heavyweight:

- Mark Coleman def. Dan Severn via submission @ UFC 12

- Maurice Smith def. Mark Coleman via JD @ UFC 14

- Randy Couture def. Maurice Smith via JD @ UFC Japan I; vacates

- Bas Rutten def. Kevin Randleman via JD @ UFC 20; retires, vacates

- Kevin Randleman def. Pete Williams via JD @ UFC 23

- Randy Couture def. Kevin Randleman via TKO @ UFC 28

- Josh Barnett def. Randy Couture via TKO @ UFC 36; stripped

- Ricco Ridriguez def. Randy Couture via TKO @ UFC 39

- Tim Sylvia def. Ricco Rodriguez via KO @ UFC 41; stripped

- Frank Mir def. Tim Sylvia via Technical Submission @ UFC 46; later stripped

- Andrei Arlovski def. Tim Sylvia via submission @ UFC 51 for interim title; later made undisputed champion

Lightheavyweight:

- Frank Shamrock def. Kavin Jackson via submission @ UFC Japan I; later retires, vacates

- Tito Ortiz def. Wanderlei Silva via JD @ UFC 25

- Randy Couture def. Chuck Liddell via TKO @ UFC 43; crowned interim champion

- Randy Couture def. Tito Ortiz via JD @ UFC 44

- Chuck Liddell def. Randy Couture via KO @ UFC 52

Middleweight:

- Dave Menne def. Gil Castillo via JD @ UFC 33

- Murilo Bustamante def. Dave Menne via TKO @ UFC 35; later vacates

- Evan Tanner def. David Terrell via TKO @ UFC 51

- Rich Franklin def. Evan Tanner via TKO @ UFC 53

Welterweight:

- Pat Miletich def. Mikey Burnett via JD @ UFC Brazil

- Carlos Newton def. Pat Miletich via sub @ UFC 31

- Matt Hughes def. Carlos Newton via KO @ UFC 34

- BJ Penn def. Matt Hughes via submission @ UFC 46; stripped

- Matt Hughes def. Georges St. Pierre via submission @ UFC 50

Lightweight:

- Jens Pulver def. Caol Uno via JD @ UFC 29; later vacates

Some info might be wrong, but that's the gist of it.

I understand Hirth, but why Quadros? He's a big loser though, I feel bad knowing I used to enjoy his commentary. I mean he's good at commentary, but the guy's a huge fucking nerd.

Speaking of The Fight Professor, I watched PRIDE 25 today, holy shit. Great fucking card. That wasn't even the best card that year. I can't believe that MMA was that good in 2003. I think that's the best year of MMA ever, at least in terms of the two big companies. Obviously for the UFC 2005 was the best, but there were some awesome cards that came out that year. PRIDE should learn that less is more and stop with this constant tournament bullshit, get their champs to defend more and build some steam as legends, kinda like Hughes did or Franklin is likely to do. There's no reason why Noguiera was champ for one and a half years and fought a bunch in that time, yet had his first title defense came against Fedor when he lost. It doesn't make sense for a guy who had such a dominant "reign" as he did to say he has had zero successful title defenses.

KARELIN~!

Dude, just read any preview written by Quadros. He throws out the most asinine shit about a fighter you can possibly think of, and drones on and on about nothing before throwing a half assed prediction out there. He'd save himself a lot of effort by simply saying "I have never seen either guy fight, and nor will I likely ever, as I'll be too busy acting like a know-it-all on the stick in some second rate event or mugging it up at a photo-op with some D-list fighter to bother lending any credence to my undeserved nickname. You'd be better off cutting out the middle man and referencing the Fight Finder."

The fact that he's considered the creme de la creme of MMA journalism speaks volumes of how fucking terrible almost the entire field is.

I didn't really find Final Conflict or Critical Countdown to be that great, but I am soured on the whole GP concept. I agree about the Bushido's and NYE show being great. However, at this point I almost consider Bushido to be a seperate entity from regular PRIDE, 'cause it kinda is.

Final Conflict had great fights in Mirko/Fedor and..well that's it. Both Shogun fights were entertaining, but I wouldn't say great. I think your Shogun and Fedor fandom biases your view on this show. I only have a Fedor bias, so my view is a little clearer ;)

Critical Countdown was mediocre I thought. Admittedly, Shogun/Little Nog is great, but nothing else on the card really entertained me that much.

Bushido the Tournament card was amazing. Bushido 7 was great, and 8 was decent. The NYE Show was good. However I don't think overall, that the year was as good as their 2003 year. Admittedly, alot of the enjoyment I had in those shows was mainly storyline based, which really helps you connect to the fighters (Rampage and Cro Cop's rise before eventual fall to the Brazilians at FC 2003, Chuck coming in, Fedor placing himself atop the mountain, Wanderlei Silva shutting up the haters...for about five minutes before they went on again, etc.) Add to that the fights were really good and there you have it.

PRIDE 25, TE and FC 2003 are all amazing, while 26 was a really good show too.

I'll have a linear champ for you soon, but I believe it's Fedor. Depends on if you want to recognize Harold Howard's "win" over Royce at UFC 3.

If not, it would look like this:

Royce

Sakuraba

Vovchanchyn

Coleman

Nogueira

Fedor

So what happened with the whole Tito/Randy/Chuck thing? Someone who can give me a detailed description? I'm trying to piece it together from watching the DVD's but I don't know if there is a website that details it.

Tito was the champion but then how did Randy win the title without fighitng Tito?

Guest Brian
So what happened with the whole Tito/Randy/Chuck thing? Someone who can give me a detailed description? I'm trying to piece it together from watching the DVD's but I don't know if there is a website that details it.

Tito was the champion but then how did Randy win the title without fighitng Tito?

Basically Chuck had been guaranteed the title shot after beating Belfort, Tito didn't want to fight him quoting that they had said they would never fight back when they trained together, Chuck called bullshit, Tito held out, got Shamrock, continued to hold out, Dana held the title up, Randy stepped down from heavyweight to fight Chuck and beat him, Tito thought he got a free pass out of the whole thing and decided to come back and take on Randy, and ended up losing. He eventually fought Chuck at UFC 47.

I watched that show tonight (47) and that's a really fun show.

- Kyle knocks Sims into the nosebleed sections at the last second

- The beauty that is Diaz/Lawler. I dig the idea of Diaz's shit-talking antics breaking Lawler down and the KO ending is still the shit.

- Arlovski/Cabbage is a really good demonstration of why Arlovski is a scary guy. Awesome footwork.

- Chuck/Tito is a really hot crowd. After the end of the first round it becomes apparent that they want Tito dead and the second round starts off nuclear and stays that way.

Here's the thing, people -it seems- have higher standards for PRIDE than the UFC. I contend that if the same event happened in a UFC ring people would be a lot more favourable for it.

Not true in my opinion. I have higher expectations for that which I'm more a fan of, and the UFC is currently that organization.

Guest AndrewisyourHero

My favourite so far is Shamrock threatening Tito, who just busts out laughing

EDIT: Until it gets to the guy talking about how "jacking off is the best exercise you can have"