Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

No he didn't actually say that.

It was a thread started by Phil Baroni, the title being "Hey Ivan Trembow"

The post being:

"Suck a dick

just a message from your friendly neighbourhood bad ass"

There was a line at the end like later or something, but that whole thing was just hilarious in how lame it was, it's like Trembow wrote a concise, well-written article about why Phil Baroni shouldn't have been signed by PRIDE, so Baroni one ups him by telling him to suck a dick. Everything about that post was funny.

My description was based on his post Menne KO spiel. Lindland posts (or used to I think) on Sherdog so it makes more sense. He made one hilarious video with Phil Baroni, I doubt it's stillup though.

Guest Brian

You know what's great about getting to watch old UFC's?

Josondo

SHOOTO news:

Mamoru keeps his bantamweight title via KO (high kick) over Stonnie Dennis, Takashi Nakakura upsets Ray Cooper via cut stoppage, & Gilbert Melendez TKO's Naoya Uematsu.

Random Thought:

I think that the Hip Hop World needs to get invovled in MMA. Like, have the G-Unit fight team. Have a bunch of fighters, have 50cent endorse and sponsor them, and get a cut of their earnings. Have some G-Unit guys rap them down to ringside, get em featured in videos, etc. Then have the Hip Hop gang wars explode in the cage.

Random Thought:

I think that the Hip Hop World needs to get invovled in MMA. Like, have the G-Unit fight team. Have a bunch of fighters, have 50cent endorse and sponsor them, and get a cut of their earnings. Have some G-Unit guys rap them down to ringside, get em featured in videos, etc. Then have the Hip Hop gang wars explode in the cage.

Isn't that exactly what WCW watsed their money on with the same intentions? :huh:

Completely different environment than the No Limit Soldiers and WCW.

UFC can't even afford to pay their top fighters (well they can, they just choose not to), so why should they blow their money (when they still haven't made a profit) on a bunch of rappers who have no cross over appeal to the sport?

Honestly, I think your average rapper is going to be a bit more into (and thus a better shill for) either the "simpler" premise of boxing or the over-the-top feel of pro wrestling.

You are not getting it.

Does the UFC pay Team Punishment a ton of money? Do they pay MFS a ton of money? Do they pay Team QUEST a ton of money? Does PRIDE pay Chute Boxe or BTT or Red Devil a ton of money? Unless I'm missing something or if there's a contractual agreement, the fight teams get paid dick-all by the fight promotions and get a cut of the fighters paycheck for management and training fees. This would be the case.

To continue with the example, the G-Unit Fight Team would be independent of the UFC, and the UFC would pay their fighters to appear on their show. Let's say, Yves Edwards, Pete Spratt, Bobby Southworth, and Quinton Jackson were all signed to fight under the G-Unit team. The fighters, in turn, give G-Unit management a cut of their pay. Why would the UFC want a G-Unit fighter? Because 50cent is the hottest act going on the music chart and his name attached to fighters fighting in the UFC could attract more people to watch it. If other hip hop groups like Bad Boy, BWS, Murder Inc., Def Jam, Shady and D12, got involved, then the rap wars wouldn't just be on the pages of Source and on BET, but in the ring as well. Why would G-Unit want to get into MMA? Because hip hop today is all about expansion into new territories, be it clothing, cars, drinks, etc. Because fighting and hiphop has already been explored to some success (Def Jam Vendeta). Because it enhances their "street cred" because hip hop is all about being a tough motherfucker. Why would the fighters want to fight under G-Unit? They get branded in things other than fighting. Why would fans want it? Because the sport gets recognized on a mainstream level and it doesn't mess with the in-ring aspects of the sport.

Honestly, I think your average rapper is going to be a bit more into (and thus a better shill for) either the "simpler" premise of boxing or the over-the-top feel of pro wrestling.

I don't follow boxing all that much, but it isn't as "team" oriented as MMA is. If hip hop was all about individualism, that would be applicable, but right now it's all about having your own group, which is much better financially as the popularity is spread. Would The Game be as popular if he wasn't associated with 50cent? Would 50cent be as popular if he wasn't associated with Eminem? Would Eminem be as popular if he wasn't associated with Dr Dre? MMA is similar. When you see a Chute Boxe fighter, even if you don't know who the fuck he is, you pay a lot more attention than you would a fighter under a no-name team. The concepts cross-over a lot easier with MMA.

MMA can be as over-the-top as wrestling and as "simple" as boxing. "What is the UFC" "It's two guys fighting" How do you get any simpler?

"What is the UFC" "It's two guys fighting" How do you get any simpler?

"Why are they rolling around the ground?"

"Man, why isn't he punching him?"

"Fuck his legs, kick his head!"

"What the hell was that? Why'd he quit?"

"Bruce Lee would fuck these guys up at the time."

These are the kinds of things the majority of the population still asks during MMA matches, and that's not including those who refuse to give it a chance in the first place. And even given answers, many will still not find it their cup of tea.

I just don't think MMA is at a level in the US that the hip-hop world would bother to pay much attention to it.

The thing about leg kicks is, that they might as well go to the head. In UFC especially they will kick the leg like once or twice a round. You have pulverize that fucking leg to get anywhere. Pedro Rizzo is the best leg kicker in MMA, he throws them often and fast, but not often enough so as to be telegraphed when he does throw them.

"What is the UFC" "It's two guys fighting"  How do you get any simpler?

"Why are they rolling around the ground?"

"Man, why isn't he punching him?"

"Fuck his legs, kick his head!"

"What the hell was that? Why'd he quit?"

"Bruce Lee would fuck these guys up at the time."

These are the kinds of things the majority of the population still asks during MMA matches, and that's not including those who refuse to give it a chance in the first place. And even given answers, many will still not find it their cup of tea.

I just don't think MMA is at a level in the US that the hip-hop world would bother to pay much attention to it.

That's what EVERY new comer to MMA says. The job of the hip hop guys isn't to educate the public, it's to get their attention and interest. There isn't a promotional scheme in existance that can satisfactorily explain the nuances of MMA. The UFC is trying to move away from that anyways and favour guys who can throw rather than guys who can roll. Chuck Liddell is their biggest star not because he's a great talker. In the end it is always "two guys fighting" and the crowd will always go wild for a knockout and a slugfest, and I think the mentality of hip hop guys - the notion of being the best, of being the toughest, the baddest, the sense of danger they try to create - can be translated to a fight club.

That's what EVERY new comer to MMA says.  The job of the hip hop guys isn't to educate the public, it's to get their attention and interest.  There isn't a promotional scheme in existance that can satisfactorily explain the nuances of MMA.  The UFC is trying to move away from that anyways and favour guys who can throw rather than guys who can roll.  Chuck Liddell is their biggest star not because he's a great talker.  In the end it is always "two guys fighting" and the crowd will always go wild for a knockout and a slugfest, and I think the mentality of hip hop guys - the notion of being the best, of being the toughest, the baddest, the sense of danger they try to create - can be translated to a fight club.

What I'm trying to ask is if MMA can't get your average Joe's attention and kep it most of the time, how would they be able to hook whomever in the hip-hop community enough to get them to bother starting their own team? And assuming they do try and succeed in getting people's interest, you're still going to have mostly the same people who don't have the attention span to stick with MMA long enough to learn a thing or two. I honestly don't think anyone's going to get attached to MMA because some hip hop figure tells them to, and if they do... that's just sad.

BTW- You also mentioned that UFC is starting to get away from grapplers in favour of strikers as a way to hook more people, but I personally don't care for those who jeer pretty much any ground fight nowadays, much less influx of those types of "fans" that would be brought in hoping to see brutal KO's all the time.

zam_kid.gif

Zambo is a fuckin' badass. Kid had nothing for him in that fight.

As an official Kid nuthugger, I'll say he didn't look too bad the breif moments he was throwing early in the fight, especially for an wrestler turned wannabe-kickboxer.

Besides, Kid would take him in a street fight.

zam_kid.gif

As an official Kid nuthugger, I'll say he didn't look too bad the breif moments he was throwing early in the fight, especially for an wrestler turned wannabe-kickboxer.

Unless something like that ^^^^ happened :P

What I'm trying to ask is if MMA can't get your average Joe's attention and kep it most of the time, how would they be able to hook whomever in the hip-hop community enough to get them to bother starting their own team?

The actual interest in MMA for the hip hop artists is almost irrelevant - it is more of a financial opportunity than anything else. A brand extension. They'd be a figurehead, they'd show up from time-to-time, they'd give shout-outs occasionally. They'd be giving a rub. It also benefits their image, since a lot of being a rapper is about being street-tough. 50cent got shot a billion times and lived. 50cent owns a group of fighters who can knock you out and break your neck. The message is the same: Don't fuck with me. It's the gang mentality carried over to MMA, which already exists in MMA, which is why they'd be a good fit.

And assuming they do try and succeed in getting people's interest, you're still going to have mostly the same people who don't have the attention span to stick with MMA long enough to learn a thing or two. I honestly don't think anyone's going to get attached to MMA because some hip hop figure tells them to, and if they do... that's just sad.

All you have to do is get them cheering a fighter, and they'll stay for a while. If they can personally identify with a fighter, they will become invested in the fighter - when that fighter fights, it's like they are fighting. Besides, "because some hip hop figure tells them to" is what's going on already - with shoes, drinks, clothing, etc.

BTW- You also mentioned that UFC is starting to get away from grapplers in favour of strikers as a way to hook more people, but I personally don't care for those who jeer pretty much any ground fight nowadays, much less influx of those types of "fans" that would be brought in hoping to see brutal KO's all the time.

Of course there is the risk of alienating the current fanbase, but you run that risk trying anything new. There is also the possibility of creating a race-issue in the sport, which might actually benefit it. PRIDE was successful inpart because they played nationalities and races against each other. A certain amount of the popularity basketball had during the 80s was race-related. I think it would add an extra layer of intensity to the fights.

I watched UFC 41 today.

Pedro Rizzo v Vladimir Matyushenko

- This was an ok fight. Neither guy did anything impressive or really notable. Not the best fight to start off the show. I wouldn't mind looking back to see if the UFC learned from putting heavies on first and took a WCW-approach of putting the small guys out to start the show.

Phil Baroni v Matt Linland

- I remember this being pimped as a MOTYC and I think it is a border-line candidate. Surprisingly full of action, I almost feel sympathetic to Baroni as the fight progresses. I don't really know what else to say about it.... oh, those shots to the body at the end by Baroni were sick.

BJ Benn v Caol Uno

- Really good fight, I wouldn't mind seeing how this ranked in the MOTY draw. A lil slow at times, but they kept transitioning and trading, and each guy had the upperhand for a round or two. The final decision was a bit bogus though.

Tank Abbott v Frank Mir

- Nice technique by Mir. Not so much by Tank.

Ricco Rodriguez v Tim Sylvia

- I remember when I was a Ricco fan. It was right around this period... lol... it's fun seeing how they were building Ricco up and how they completely ignored him afterwards. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch between the two to see if it would be any different... thoughts?

Yves Edwards v Rich Clementi

- Very nice technique on the choke at the end by Yves. Good standing exchanges, overall a good match. I was hoping for better.

Overall, this show was better than I expected. Goldberg has really improved since then, as has the production. I don't miss the old set at all, which is funny considering how much I was against getting rid of it. Shamrock was good in the booth, as usual, but someone really should have kept him up-to-date with the fighters as he botched many names and thought BJ was the champ. Rogan was similar back when he first started announcing, but since then has become much better - I wonder if they learned from their past mistakes, or if Eddie Bravo has influenced the commentary any. Does anyone (coughLeicough) have any knowledge of this?

zam_kid.gif

Unless something like that ^^^^ happened :P

Unless Mike Zambidis went to the Mirko Cro Cop school for sprawling, Lei Tong is probably right.

Of course, you can always tell an MMA fan is upset when they pull the ole' "Oh yeah?! Well, in a REAL fight (insert standup fighter) would get killed by (insert MMA fighter)!"

BTW, Tank won last night at ROTR, knocking out Cabbage in the first round :boxing:

Oh good lord, now UFC is going to bring him back...is Wes Simms busy?

The next BUSHIDO show....

Dokonjonosuke Mishima vs. Yves Edwards

Akihiro Gono vs. Crosley Gracie

TAISHO vs. Jens Pulver

Ryuki Ueyama vs. Milton Vieira

Ryo Chonan vs. Nino "Elvis" Schembri

Yoshiro Maeda vs. Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett

Takanori Gomi vs. Luiz Azeredo

Ikuhisa Minowa vs. Phil Baroni

Hayato "Mach" Sakurai vs. Luiz Buscape

AND the debut of Shooto Champion Tetsuya Kawajiri still to come on this card.