TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

2008 NBA Draft

I think it's kind of cute that ESPN had him on PTI today and asked him what he thought about getting picked 3rd like that was even a possibility.

Don't underestimate Kevin McHale.

EDIT

That Love play, if he's one step away from the basket it's a charge call in the NBA.

I'm not sure about that. He wasn't completely set when Douglas-Roberts left the ground and CDR did his best to avoid jumping right into him. Also, he flopped like a huge pussy.

I see him more in the mold of Greg Ostertag.

riiiiiiight :lol:

I am not sure if this is complimenting going on here or not.

Greg Ostertag was one fuck of a post defender.

Well...thats pretty much all was, but he was good at it.

Guest Vitamin X

It wasn't meant to be anything, I just say I see him to be a lot like Ostertag. Big, slow, white dude who probably won't do much on the offensive end in the pros.

Ostertag was a stiff who provided good D in the paint when he wasn't hacking dudes and getting himself in foul trouble, and every once in a while he had hid game face on and decided to be a low post scorer, at which he was competent, but it was rare that he actually did that. Comparing Love to him is a joke for a hundred different reasons, most obviously that they are completely different size/skillset wise. If you want to make a 90's whiteboy comparison for Love, Googs would seem like the most fitting, Love has a different game though..

Guest Vitamin X
NEW YORK – The Portland Trail Blazers have intensified discussions with the New Jersey Nets about moving up into the 10th pick of the NBA draft with intentions of taking Texas point guard D.J. Augustin, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday.

The Blazers would send the 13th and 33rd picks in Thursday’s draft, along with guard Jarrett Jack, to the Nets. New Jersey also would send guard Trenton Hassell to the Blazers.

Portland GM Kevin Pritchard had been counting on beating out Indiana for Augustin, but the Pacers likely no longer have that great a need for Augustin after agreeing in principle to trade Jermaine O’Neal to Toronto for point guard T.J. Ford, center Rasho Nesterovic and the No. 17 pick.

Nevertheless, one Western Conference executive warned that he believed Charlotte could make Augustin, the 5-foot-10 point guard, a surprise choice at No. 9.

Portland has had discussions with several teams about moving up in the draft, but a deal with the Nets appears to the strongest possibility now.

As long as the New York Knicks pass on Danilo Gallinari at No. 6, the Nets still believe the Italian forward could be there for them at No. 13. If not, they’d hope one of the Lopez brothers – Brook or Robin – slide down to them. Nets GM Kiki Vandeweghe is intrigued with West Virginia forward Joe Alexander, too.

What’s more, with the 33rd pick, the Nets could get a late first round-caliber big man who slips into the second round, such as Indiana’s D.J. White. Sources said New Jersey already has targeted Memphis center Joey Dorsey with the 40th pick.

This possible trade would throw Indiana’s plans of taking Augustin into a tizzy, although the Pacers have thought long and hard about choosing a forward in the 11th spot. If the four guards – Augustin, Westbrook, Jerryd Bayless and Eric Gordon – are off the board, the Pacers could end up taking LSU’s Anthony Randolph.

As usual, Pritchard has been aggressive around the draft. With the endless resources of his owner, Paul Allen, behind him, Pritchard purchased the 27th pick from the New Orleans Hornets for $3 million. They likely will use that late pick to draft an international big man who wouldn’t immediately join them in the NBA.

So it turns out speculation was right here- first they'll get rid of Jack, not Outlaw (excellent move, though I don't know what Portland would need/use Hassell for) and they'll take the Hornets' 27th pick for an international big man.

Ostertag was a stiff who provided good D in the paint when he wasn't hacking dudes and getting himself in foul trouble, and every once in a while he had hid game face on and decided to be a low post scorer, at which he was competent, but it was rare that he actually did that. Comparing Love to him is a joke for a hundred different reasons, most obviously that they are completely different size/skillset wise. If you want to make a 90's whiteboy comparison for Love, Googs would seem like the most fitting, Love has a different game though..

`Tag also had to go to practices with Sloan and Malone yelling at him. He was Mark Eaton V.2 for Utah. Stand in the middle clog up the lane, score put backs when you get the chance.

Hassell has a horrible contract, so it's basically the Blazers taking him off their hands.

The Nets drafting Dorsey would be great, I'd go to many Nets games just to see him play

It will be interesting to see what Indiana will do now. I would assume they would take Brook Lopez if he fell to them at the #11 pick or Roy Hibbert at #17.

`Tag also had to go to practices with Sloan and Malone yelling at him. He was Mark Eaton V.2 for Utah. Stand in the middle clog up the lane, score put backs when you get the chance.

HEY goddamnit!!!!\

Mark Eaton was god and Greg doesn't belong in the same sentence as him!!!

It will be interesting to see what Indiana will do now. I would assume they would take Brook Lopez if he fell to them at the #11 pick or Roy Hibbert at #17.

Well...Lopez ain't falling to 11. So...Hibbert....

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

So yeah...thats a pretty dumb trade for both teams by the way.

Disagree. I thought it was a good trade for Indiana. They and JO had to split. Just had to. TJ Ford should be a good addition there. Rasho is serviceable at least for next year.

Toronto needed to get rid of a PG, I think Calderon is better anyway, sure its a big IF that O'Neal will be healthy, but I think at the end of the day, Toronto will be better right now than they were at the end of last year.

Toronto needed to get rid of a point guard if they wanted to become a worse team. The reason the team was that good was that they had point guard depth and could switch it up. The best they can expect from Jermaine Oneil is what Rasho gave the team in March and April.

And the team wasn't exactly winning then. 9-16 record wasn't pretty with two front line guys producing. Guard play is how this team will need to win. And they just traded away a damn good one, lost another to a Euro team and there are no real replacements out there for what those guys give you...although you could have gotten some help from the draft pick they also gave away for guy thatis CONSTANTLY injured.

On the Indiana side, it isn't that bad, although, now, you aren't going to get much for Tinsley as every team in the league knows that you have to move him now. The extra pick will help and Ford does work well for the team. So i guess its really just a dumb trade for Toronto who just made their team worse.

Toronto is also getting the Pacers' second-round pick, while the Pacers are bringing back Maceo Baston from the Raptors. Baston will probably wind up being an irrelevant part of this deal, if we even keep him around at all, but I'd like to see him get another chance here in O'Brien's system, he's a hell of an athlete, can block shots and is a great finisher at the rim.

Ford now has us going with Kosta Koufos and Mario Chalmers with our picks. That looks like a solid combo.

There's also a article up there saying that the Nets and Blazers are both still trying to trade for Memphis' #5 pick. So apparently the Nets/Blazers thing isn't final yet. According to Ford, the Nets will only make that deal if Love, Lopez and Gallinari are all off the board by then.

Rumor making the rounds here is that the Rockets will trade 25 and Luther Head to the Wizards for 18 if Courtney Lee makes it past Indiana at 17. I like it. All the Rockets give up is an erratic guard who's too small to play the 2 and doesn't have the game to play the 1.

HEY goddamnit!!!!\

Mark Eaton was god and Greg doesn't belong in the same sentence as him!!!

Oi... I'm the resident Mark Eaton lover on this board. My favorite all time player since I was old enough to talk. Tag filled the same role though. Eaton wasn't out there to drop 15 points on anyone, he was there to clog the lane, block shots, grab rebounds and get an occasional put back when needed.

That's what Tag did.

Eaton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tag, but they had the same basic role on the Jazz.

I just read this on yahoo: Beasley Article

Is this kid really a knucklehead? There are the reports of being a little immature. The Heat don't seem to high on him either. IIs this all exaggeration or is he really not the brightest kid out there. Is comparing him to Carmelo a fair assessment, and that dude has played 5 season and STILL does stupid things.

We're doing an NBA Draft chat on AIM, guys. Send a message to Alf at Alfdogg765 and I'm sure he'll let you in.

Awesome seeing D-Rose get picked #1. No Tiger had ever gone that high, with Penny being the highest at #3 in 1993.

The Bulls just got a great point guard

Memphis had just made the worst pick so far, but my Knicks ended up trumping it with their next Frederic Weis level bust with Gallinari. Ugh.

Memphis had just made the worst pick so far, but my Knicks ended up trumping it with their next Frederic Weis level bust with Gallinari. Ugh.

How exactly was a guy that never came over a bust? I mean, shouldn't he have to play a game for it to be a bust?

I personally think this kid is going to be something special. Especially with Mike D'Antoni being the coach.

And the Clippers don't take a point guard. Not smart guys. You have Brevin Knight as your point now.

And really, do you really need another guy that will just put up shots with thorton there?

I like Joe Alexander, but they should have grabbed a bigger PF. And they also should have traded up and grabbed a guy like Robin Lopez or whoever to sure up that front line. You don't want to start Charlie V at the PF.

And Vanilla Sky is a awesome nickname.

The Knicks make crap choices?

Just because I felt masochistic.

New York Knicks first round draft picks since Ewing.

2007 -- Wilson Chandler, DePaul - bust

2006 -- Renaldo Balkman, South Carolina - roleplayer at best

Mardy Collins, Temple - bust

2005 -- Channing Frye, Arizona - bust

David Lee, Florida - serviceable forward

2004 -- None

2003 -- Michael Sweetney, G'town - bust

2002 -- Nene Hilario, Vasco da Gama (Brazil) - turned out to be a solid pro but we traded him

2001 -- None

2000 -- Donnell Harvey, Florida - bust

1999 -- Frederic Weis, Limoges (France) - bust of all busts

1998 -- None

1997 -- John Thomas, Minnesota - bust

1996 -- John Wallace, Syracuse - bust

Walter McCarty, Kentucky - decent 3 point shooter

Dontae' Jones, Mississippi State - bust

1995 -- None

1994 -- Monty Williams, Notre Dame - bust

Charlie Ward, Florida State - mediocre PG at best

1993 -- None

1992 -- Hubert Davis, North Carolina - solid shooter

1991 -- Greg Anthony, Nevada-Las Vegas - couldn't shoot but I liked his toughness

1990 -- Jerrod Mustaf, Maryland - bust

1989 -- None

1988 -- Rod Strickland, DePaul - was great elsewhere since he was only a Knick for 1 1/2 seasons

1987 -- Mark Jackson, St. John's - he was only here for 5 years

1986 -- Kenny Walker, Kentucky - won a dunk contest but that was about it

1985 -- Patrick Ewing, Georgetown

Weis was a bust of a pick because we wasted a # 15 selection on a guy who never suited up for us and whose career highlight was tasting Vince Carter's ball sweat while Ron Artest who grew up here went next.