TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Alternate movie draft

StarshipTroopers.jpg

Starship Troopers (1997)

I could not live without this movie. It's funny, smart and even reminds me of my childhood.

Say 'ello to my little friend...

myspace-Movies14-scarface-photo-scarface-6235693.jpg

Scarface (De Palma, 1983)

- Not my favorite movie of all-time but one of two major ones I'm worried about getting taken. It's Tony fucking Montana, what else needs to be said? Instead of a write up, here are some quotes:

"All I have in this world are my balls and my word and I don't break neither of them for nobody."

"First you get the money, then you get the power and then you get the pussy."

"Miami is like one big pussy just waiting to get fucked."

Memento1.jpg

Memento /Nolan /2000

One of my all time favorite stories ever put on film. Guy Pierce does an amazing job killing this roll and it holds up great on multiple viewings.

dog-day-afternoon.jpg

Dog Day Afternoon 1975

To keep this interesting I'm gonna attempt to pick movies that have not already been drafted in the other thread. Can't believe this gem is still untouched. For my money Al Pacino is at his absolute best as Sonny, the stressed everyman turned bank robber. A vacant eyed John Cazale is also brilliant as his slow witted partner/side kick. The voice of Jack Skellington Chris Sarandon also gets to steal some scenes as Sonny's suicidal lover,"You Can't go to Nigeria, those people are crazzziee!". Probably funnier than most so called comedies and Sonny is one of the more interesting empathetic characters in film history, a very easy guy to root for and understand even if it is obvious he's doomed to fail.

189607~The-Shining-Posters.jpg

The Shining

I love Kubrick, I love Nicholson, and this was them at their best. One of the few times a movie has been better than the book, and it's a good book. Legitimately unnerving. "You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just gonna bash your brains in. I'm gonna bash 'em right the fuck in."

I also must have some zombie goodness, and with Dawn already taken I will go with the original classic...

Night-of-the-Living-Dead-Poster-C10128597.jpeg

Night of the Living Dead

What can be said about this movie that hasn't already been said? The measuring stick for all zombie movies made, a pure classic and one of my all time favs.

dog-day-afternoon.jpg

Dog Day Afternoon 1975

To keep this interesting I'm gonna attempt to pick movies that have not already been drafted in the other thread. Can't believe this gem is still untouched. For my money Al Pacino is at his absolute best as Sonny, the stressed everyman turned bank robber. A vacant eyed John Cazale is also brilliant as his slow witted partner/side kick. The voice of Jack Skellington Chris Sarandon also gets to steal some scenes as Sonny's suicidal lover,"You Can't go to Nigeria, those people are crazzziee!". Probably funnier than most so called comedies and Sonny is one of the more interesting empathetic characters in film history, a very easy guy to root for and understand even if it is obvious he's doomed to fail.

nice choice. i was just wondering yesterday why this hadn't been picked yet in the other one. i suggest getting more movies with john cazale in them.

FP1773-FIGHT-CLUB-soap.jpg

2. Fight Club - Fincher - 1999

Say it's overrated. Say the twist was predictable. You can say you saw everything coming even though you never read the book. I don't care. Hell, I was *told* the twist before I even watched the film for the first time, and it was still a fantastic cinematic experience. One of the few films I've watched more than once in a sitting just to capture all the foreshadowing and other tidbits. A nearly flawless film except for a super-giant-gaping-plothole-that-pisses-me-off, but it can be forgiven because it took me about fifteen viewings to spot it.

I would have taken that too.

I don't really think they pulled off the twist effectively, it was just kind of there, but I've been compared to Tyler too many times to not love Fight Club. Appropriately, I also come off like him in that book you wrote about me.

I would have taken that too.

I don't really think they pulled off the twist effectively, it was just kind of there, but I've been compared to Tyler too many times to not love Fight Club. Appropriately, I also come off like him in that book you wrote about me.

Only took a month to finally get some feedback, you busy psycho.

As for the twist "just being there", I guess I can look at it that way now, but I still remember the first time I saw it and like I said -- even though I was prepared for it, it was still pretty damn awesome.

Ugh. I've typed up like twenty different movies and keep erasing them. I'll just go with a movie I enjoyed watching in the theater, especially the part when Leonardo DiCaprio got shot and some girl yelled out "NO!!!!!!" I didn't see that coming! Plus Mark Wahlberg gave one of my favorite acting performances. In fact, everyone was very good.

departed-poster-0.jpg

The Departed.

i suggest getting more movies with john cazale in them.

The best percentage of great movies to movies made in history.

critical consensus has him tied with james dean. but i've only seen parts of 'rebel without a cause' and i don't really like james dean, so i'll agree.

Speak for yourself. I once tried to watch Passion of Joan of Arc and did not care for it at all, eventually turning it off halfway through. I'll take just about anything Cazale's done over that.

nice choice. i was just wondering yesterday why this hadn't been picked yet in the other one. i suggest getting more movies with john cazale in them.

Because I was saving it for the bottom half of the draft, hoping nobody would think of it before then.

monty_python_and_the_holy_grail_ver.jpg

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I think maybe I should just find a completely random excuse to draft something Python-related in every draft I'm in or something. But seriously, my favorite comedy of all time? Yes, very much so. The plot of Life of Brian is stronger but I think the jokes in Holy Grail are better.

If anybody isn't around enough and gets dropped, Blade2kxx, I'm letting luke-o join in. Call me crazy, I'm curious to see what he picks.

If it bothers you that much, my next pick is There Will Be Blood. Steal it if you want.

Just saying that the first line of the rules says "Serpentine Draft Rules" which means reverse order every other round

Yeah, I didn't want to do it that way either. I totally wanted to take Shining and TWBB in one pick as I see a huge comparison between them... but here we are.