TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 6/30 - 7/6

When Marvin comes back, can you guys just put him on ignore? It's worse to read people complaining about him than it is to read his awful posts.

What the Rays did is shore up their defense, turning it from historically bad to pretty good. The run prevention followed. I'm not sold on them as division favorites yet, I think they will come back a bit in the second half. It will take a big slide though to take them entirely out of contention, and I think they will win the wild card at least this season.

What is scary is that their best pitcher is yet to come.

Carlos Marmol's having a rough go at it the last couple of weeks. First the Tampa Bay meltdown, then the Carlos Quentin go-ahead check-swing homer, and tonight a three-run shot from Ray Durham that tied things up. His ERA's shot up to like 3.50 up from the low ones.

I get the feeling I should delete interleague play before looking at win/loss records. Only five teams in the National League are above .500 right now. Only four teams in the AL are below .500.

ESPN.com added playoff odds to their regular standings page. I actually disagree with that. Standings need to be straight facts, not projections. I think a lot of fans are going to misconstrue what they mean.

The White Sox have won seven straight while the Tribe lost five, dropping the Indians to 12.5 out of the division race. Time to write them off.

Man, the Diamondbacks continue to slide.

The question is: Will the D-Backs bounce back, or will the NL West potentially be won by a sub-.500 team?

The question is: Will the D-Backs bounce back, or will the NL West potentially be won by a sub-.500 team?

Bounce-back. With the unbalanced schedule, someone will climb a few games above.

Wow, I just read a follow-up on the Michael Inoa signs with the A's story. Supposedly, the Reds offered $5 Million with a Major League contract, and the Rangers offered $5.2 Million. He chose the A's ($4.25 M) because he felt they developed young pitchers the best.

Bounce-back. With the unbalanced schedule, someone will climb a few games above.

Yeah, this has popped up a few times in the last 3-4 years. It's virtually impossible for a sub-.500 team to win a division with the unbalanced schedule.

Wow, I just read a follow-up on the Michael Inoa signs with the A's story. Supposedly, the Reds offered $5 Million with a Major League contract, and the Rangers offered $5.2 Million. He chose the A's ($4.25 M) because he felt they developed young pitchers the best.

Yep, reds have reportedly already spent 6-7 million on Dominican players this year, with the biggest deal going to Juan Duran. They were willing to spend another 5 million there, reportedly they're willing to spend whatever it takes to sign the big prospects. It kind of makes you wonder how active they'll be in the free agent market this offseason with Jocketty as GM and with Griffey and Dunn's contracts off the books. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them offer CC Sabathia or Ben Sheets 100 million dollar deals.

Clayton Kershaw got sent back down to Jacksonville. Kickass. I really hope the next time the Montgomery Biscuits are in town we get a Clayton Kershaw vs David Price pitching matchup. That'd be fucking fantastic.

Probably not a surprise, but it sounds like Brian McNamee's syringes have Roger Clemens' DNA on them.

Story

In regards to the Diamondbacks, is it really shocking to see them fall back to earth? Last year they had one of the all time fluke seasons, finishing 90-72 while being outscored by their opponents. Their Pythagorean W/L was more like 79-83, so they'll probably end up a .500 team this year.

It's funny but some time ago I caught hell in a thread when I suggested that MLB (and the media) put all their eggs in that Red Sox/Yankees basket, making it tough for others to draw casual interest. I know it's a much different era but the rating for the 1985 World Series (KC vs. STL) was an overall 25.3. Another Cardinals WS in 1987 did a 23.8 (vs. Twins). The 2006 WS with the Cardinals vs. Tigers? 10.1. That's for two well known teams too.

It's funny but some time ago I caught hell in a thread when I suggested that MLB (and the media) put all their eggs in that Red Sox/Yankees basket, making it tough for others to draw casual interest. I know it's a much different era but the rating for the 1985 World Series (KC vs. STL) was an overall 25.3. Another Cardinals WS in 1987 did a 23.8 (vs. Twins). The 2006 WS with the Cardinals vs. Tigers? 10.1. That's for two well known teams too.

You really can't compare TV ratings between now and 20-25 years ago. There were a lot less options for viewers back then.

I don't think Varitek is done by any means, it's just a nasty offensive slump. He still brings alot to the table managing the pitching staff which has been really good. Also, no matter how awful Varitek looks at the plate, Lugo is FAR worse at ever facet of the game. Zero baseball IQ, pathetic baserunning for a fast guy, no power, no range, and horrible accuracy with his throws. I keep praying for a DFA or an "Injury" that would give Jed Lowrie a chance to start for a couple weeks.

The O's want to trade for David Eckstein. Watch them get all 2004 Mets on us and try to accrue more overpriced talent for some unrealistic playoff run. There's absolutely no way the O's finish with a better record than the Red Sox, Rays, White Sox, Tigers, Twins, Angels or A's. I'd be surprised if they finished with a better record than the Yankees and Rangers, for good measure.

Dodgers win three in a row against Houston, now they're only a game and a half back in the West after sucking it up all season. Some division.

Even being that close to first place, the only positive things I can say about this team are

Russell Martin's a stud, always will be

Juan Pierre played well for a while. Now he's even worse than last season

We're getting Furcal, Jones, and NOMAH off the DL. At least the team really didn't go into the shitter while they were gone

Chad Billingsley's a future ace if he can cut out a few bad habits

I think this team more than most shows how little impact a good manager can have on a ball club. Managers can't prevent their players from constantly being fooled by a good breaking ball. Throw shit at the wall, see what sticks, if it sticks, you're a good manager. The end.

For any Cincy fans rumors are swirling that there is going to be a big move made within 48 hours. Hopefully Arroyo goes elsewhere, I'm not sure who would take his contract.

A poster over at espn.com's Reds board says he has a source telling him that it is a big-time regular that everyone on that board is clamoring to be traded. Now of course, you take that with a grain of salt because no source was listed and it's the espn board, but the players fitting that description are Griffey and Arroyo. "Big-time regular" makes it sound more like Griffey. I haven't seen anything on any reputable site that has any info on a trade about to go down.

Al, how would Arroyo look in Philly Red?

Bronson Arroyo to Philadelphia

EDIT 11:23AM: The Reds may also be involved in a smaller deal which could be completed first. Keep your eye on the Marlins as a potential trading partner.

OSN has learned that the Cincinnati Reds are in the process of completing a deal with the Philadelphia Phillies.

The Reds will send Bronson Arroyo and a utility player to Philadelphia for CF Shane Victorino and a prospect.

Stick with OSN as the day goes on to find out more details.

http://ohiosportsnews.blogspot.com/

Dandy and Reds fans may want to check this sight. It's the best Reds sight on the web.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/index.php?s=

Yeah, Furcal's undergoing back surgery.

Jose Reyes and Keith Hernandez almost came to blows on the team plane. What a season for the amazing Metropolitans!

I already go there. I don't particularly care for any of the Reds messageboards, as there are similar things at each of them that I can't stand:

-"My source says there is a big trade going down soon. I can't reveal any particulars, or my source would get upset."

This is followed by 13 other people with their sources, and multiple pages of speculation and dumb trade ideas that should never happen.

-Posters that do nothing but dog the team and players day in and day out.

Even when the team wins, they complain that they are not in first place. They expect every player to hit .330 with 30 homers and 100 RBI and never make an error. Griffey hits a walk-off homer and everyone is sucking his dick. If he strikes out the next day, they should trade him for a bag of baseballs.