TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

The NFL Preseason Thread.

NFL Network guy: HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THAT FAT BALD GUY! Let's get him on the TV, what an excellent representation of Baltimore-area douchebags that would actually attend a Ravens preseason game!

Did you miss the part where I said I had an Orioles hat on? I surprisingly dont own a Ravens hat since I pretty much wear my Os hat year round. And for the Ravens credit, the announced attendance was 70,000-ish and there weren't that many empty seats as I expected.

By the way, the NFL's new policies are pretty strict. I had to go into the Male only line, take my hat off and turn it inside out, stand exactly on the little line and take everything out of my pockets and get patted down by the gate guy before they'd let me even near the gate. I wonder how long before they make people take off their shoes?

And I never knew the Ravens fan motto is "DONT BE A JERK!"

Guest Vitamin X
NFL Network guy: HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THAT FAT BALD GUY! Let's get him on the TV, what an excellent representation of Baltimore-area douchebags that would actually attend a Ravens preseason game!

And for the Ravens credit, the announced attendance was 70,000-ish and there weren't that many empty seats as I expected.

By the way, the NFL's new policies are pretty strict. I had to go into the Male only line, take my hat off and turn it inside out, stand exactly on the little line and take everything out of my pockets and get patted down by the gate guy before they'd let me even near the gate. I wonder how long before they make people take off their shoes?

And I never knew the Ravens fan motto is "DONT BE A JERK!"

You know, that is pretty impressive. I don't ever think of the Ravens fanbase as being particularly rabid enough to religiously attend preseason games like Wisconsinites do for Green Bay, but that's pretty cool.

Guest WhackingCockDick
2 - Derrick Martin's int of Josh David Booty for a TD.

Did the Bootys find a way to fuse Josh and John David?

UBERBOOTY

UBERBOOTY

Too bad that only amounts to something equaling Kyle Orton. Except dumber.

Is... that... possible?

UBERBOOTY

Too bad that only amounts to something equaling Kyle Orton. Except dumber.

You know it's not like John David was all that bad in college. I mean yeah he didn't win a national title or anything, but they were still Top 5 with him at the helm. Sure he was loaded with talent around him, but the dude had like two straight Rose Bowls where he played really well. I mean just because he's not Carson Palmer or Matt Leinart doesn't mean he sucks.

*PS* I can't believe I just defended a USC player.

On the same token, Kyle Orton was a pretty good QB at Purdue. See how that doesn't mean anything?

Yeah, but Booty hasn't really played in an NFL regular season game. And, I just knew you always disliked him as USC's QB, for reasons completely unknown to me after seeing his onfield performance.

I don't know, it seemed to me like Orton was already starting to go down by time his senior season at Purdue ended.

The second game of preseason is always meaningless, but it's even more so when Sterling Sharpe and Marshall Faulk are commentating. My head hurts.

I have to resist the urge to get too excited about anything that happens in the preseason, but I will say that the Bucs looked a lot better tonight than they did last week.

Oh, man, the mouthbreathers at the official Buccaneers message board are going nuts tonight. Even the reliably levelheaded semi-literates like maryjane420bucsfan are predicting a Super Bowl run.

The Lions looked pretty good tonight...there's still a few things that need a lot more work (particularly in the run game) but I think they're much improved from last year. Calvin Johnson is gonna be a STUD as long as he stays healthy.

The Lions looked pretty good tonight...there's still a few things that need a lot more work (particularly in the run game) but I think they're much improved from last year. Calvin Johnson is gonna be a STUD as long as he stays healthy.

What's the status on Drew Stanton?

What's the status on Drew Stanton?

Right now he's 3rd behind Kitna and Orlovsky. He did well in both preseason games and showed great athleticism but he's still raw and wasn't using much of the playbook. I do think he's got a good shot to win the backup job but he's not gonna start for another year or two.

This would be his first season not on IR, right? Maybe Kitna can teach him stuff like he did in Cincinnati with Palmer?

Right, poor guy was injured all of last year...well on IR.

Who's a better teacher? Kurt Warner or John Kitna?

hmmmm...

Kurt Warner

- Marc Bulger

- Eli Manning

- Matt Leinart

Jon Kitna

- Brock Huard/Travis Brown (Seattle)

- Carson Palmer

- Dan Orlovsky/Drew Stanton

And every time Warner loses the job, he whines and storms off to a new team. Yeah...

Kurt Warner

- Marc Bulger

- Eli Manning

- Matt Leinart

Jon Kitna

- Brock Huard/Travis Brown (Seattle)

- Carson Palmer

- Dan Orlovsky/Drew Stanton

And every time Warner loses the job, he whines and storms off to a new team. Yeah...

Well, he struggled miserably in 2002 and loses his job to Marc Bulger. Sticks around as a backup in 2003 and is 32 years old so he knows he's getting up there in age. Hits the Giants in 2004 and plays fairly well but splits time with Eli and is basically told, "Thanks but no thanks."

Shows up in Arizona in 2005 and again, plays fairly well while splitting time with Josh McCown. He's 35 years old and splits time now with Matt Leinart in 2006, then has a superb season stepping in for an injured Leinart last year.

He'll be 37 years old and it seems like Kurt just can't win, whether it be age or the guy behind him. He comes in, does well, and gets sent back to the bench while the "young star" comes in and struggles/gets injured so Kurt has to go back in, do well, get benched, repeat and repeat.

My point is, if he was a true mentor and pro, he'd accept the backup role. I'm sure St. Louis wouldn't have minded him backing up Bulger or New York for Manning. But no, he absolutely must be starting, so that's why he bounced around. I wouldn't be surprised if Leinart nailed down the starting job in Arizona this year, that Warner would want out of Arizona.

Well, I did pick Matt Stover in the NFL all-time draft, but I don't like him so much that I would consider him to be the GREATEST PLAYER IN RAVENS HISTORY!!!

Care to explain this one Marvin? The next most egregious error would probably be the Saints' fans voting Bobby Hebert of all people as their franchise player. Rest of the list here.

I wouldn't be surprised if Leinart nailed down the starting job in Arizona this year, that Warner would want out of Arizona.

I'm pretty sure that Warner already wants out of Arizona and hasn't been particularly shy about it. I think Leinart sucks a dick and Warner is probably the better option, but a rational person could understand why the Cardinals need to give Beer Bong every opportunity to succeed. Some guys just can't accept the mentor/backup role and fade out gracefully.

I wouldn't be surprised if Leinart nailed down the starting job in Arizona this year, that Warner would want out of Arizona.

I'm pretty sure that Warner already wants out of Arizona and hasn't been particularly shy about it. I think Leinart sucks a dick and Warner is probably the better option, but a rational person could understand why the Cardinals need to give Beer Bong every opportunity to succeed. Some guys just can't accept the mentor/backup role and fade out gracefully.

You'd know better than I would Kinetic, but I always thought that's why Jake Plummer took his ball and went home into retirement (and why guys like Culpepper still can't find a job).

Culpepper is an idiot. He actually thought he could go into Pittsburgh and compete with Roethlisberger for the starting job, even knowing that they had just signed Ben to a ridiculous contract this offseason. His case is less a situation of him not wanting to accept a mentor role than it is a case of him being washed up physically and also not having any sort of wisdom to impart unto a younger QB. I don't know what Plummer's deal was, as he would have had every opportunity to win the starting job in Tampa had he decided to show up.