TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

The NFL Preseason Thread.

Guest Cal Moriarty

The CBS affiliate in Green Bay will be airing eight Jets games. I don't know what the Milwaukee and Madison stations plan to do, but that's interesting.

The CBS affiliate in Green Bay will be airing eight Jets games. I don't know what the Milwaukee and Madison stations plan to do, but that's interesting.

Letting go. Moving on. Et cetra, et cetra.

Guest Cal Moriarty

In all fairness, consider that there are sophomores in high school right now who haven't been alive to see anyone but Brett Favre start a Packers game. The guy represented a franchise in a way no other active player does.

The Green Bay Packers don't own those affiliates.

Guest Cal Moriarty

The Green Bay Packers don't own those affiliates.

Yeah, I think it's a savvy programming move, though. Beats the hell out of all those Denver Broncos games that the Great Lakes usually gets saddled with on CBS.

By spending multiple offseasons making a big deal out of whether he'd be coming back or not? Or by lobbing INTs like he was bizzaro Tom Brady?

What are you even trying to argue?

Brett Favre didn't make a big deal out of his decison-making in previous offseasons, that was an Espn thing. Just because they talk about something endlessly doesn't mean the subject himself is actually milking it. Nor does his lame behavior this past offseason change that fact.

Packer fans don't let go. Cue the "Fucking Wisconsin" thread for every Jet win/Packer loss.

I had a dream where the Packers attendence fell so low after the Favre fiasco that in 2 years they couldnt even get sellouts anymore and the team was eventually sold to Rupert Murdoch and moved to LA where they became the LA Packers.

I know thats not real world possible but it was funny anyway.

Guest Cal Moriarty

Times like this are when I lament the fact that the Internet has overused the term "laugh out loud" into utter meaninglessness. Holy shit.

Texans win 19-16.

Ahman Green went down on his first carry (no one touched him, he lost his footing on a bad cut) and was held out of the game with a strained right groin. *sigh*

Schaub looked good as did the defense. Slaton had some flashes and our 3rd stringer.. Boyd.. was decent.

The Steelers are apparently going to sign both Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper to back up Roethlisberger, according to PFT.

I guess that has to mean Charlie Batch is done. I thought they were reporting it as a 4-6 week injury though, so who knows. Imagine going back about 4 years and then saying that Leftwich and Culpepper would be competing to win one backup job. There's no way both make the team; I think Dennis Dixon has pretty much been given the 3rd QB spot as a project for the future.

Also, over/under on the actual combined weight of Roethlisberger, Culpepper, and Leftwich? It has to be something like 800 pounds, right?

Guest Vitamin X
I think Dennis Dixon has pretty much been given the 3rd QB spot as a project for the future.

I'm not sure if this is entirely correct, seeing as how BenRo is still pretty young and all, but Dixon is still pretty much a year or two away from being a viable QB anywhere else because it'll take him a while to recover from the injury, so it's good for him to be sitting on some NFL team's depth chart getting some reps in practice and all that. But there's no way he's in the Steelers' long term plans; Big Ben is only 26 years old, and he brought the Steel City its first title in nearly 2 decades, so I really, really doubt he'll be going anywhere.

Also, over/under on the actual combined weight of Roethlisberger, Culpepper, and Leftwich? It has to be something like 800 pounds, right?

Only in Pittsburgh would they have a half-ton of fun at quarterback!

I don't know when the Panthers/Colts game was played, but it's re-airing on the NFL network. Damn, does Jim Sorgi suck, two turnovers and about 4 minutes in it was 14-0 Carolina. DeAngelo looked good early, then the network gave away the final score & the stats in the bottom ticker and I turned it off in disgust. Is it that hard to remove one set of stats from the ticker during that actual game so people who didn't see it can watch it without having to block the bottom of the screen from view?

Yeah, Sorgi is on the roster because he's a nobody that they can get on the cheap. The Colts suddenly showing interest in upgrading at the backup QB position (Quinn Gray and/or Jared Lorenzon) has fueled a lot of speculation about the status of Manning's ailing sac.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Guy's been in the league for what, this is his 11th season? Probably smart money to have a little security. This knee injury is a wear and tear kind of deal, too. Not like he's going to get worked on and come back fresh as a daisy, I mean, he'll be in game shape, but he's not going to be back there forever..

Guest Tzar Lysergic

He's sneakily one of the worst Chicago QBs of recent memory. Not John Quinn bad, but bad.

Maybe Dixon can be a new & improved version of Slash?

Couldn't ANY version of Slash be considered "new and improved"? Dude didn't exactly set the world on fire in the pros for the most part.

I hate to say it but he's going to be exactly like Slash. He wants to play quarterback and nobody has interest in him beyond "Can you convert to WR?", just like they did Randle El, Matt Jones, Michael Robinson....

Cool... Edwards (Browns) cut his foot, so he'll probably get a Staph infection like everyone else does at the Browns and miss the season too! That's Joe and Edwards potentially out for the first game of the season. GO LEWIS!

Browns finally cut Baxter too, after 3 years of TCL problems in BOTH knees. Feel sorry for the guy, hope he can recover and get some form of his former self back.

Guest Cal Moriarty
He's sneakily one of the worst Chicago QBs of recent memory. Not John Quinn bad, but bad.

I'd put Stewart in the "he sucks, but he's someone" tier with Chris Chandler, Chad Hutchinson, and Brian Griese, which is a tier above "just be a warm body for Christ's sake" featuring Kyle Orton and Jim Miller, which itself is above "complete and utter wastes of time" like Henry Burris, Craig Krenzel, Jonathan Quinn, and Cade McNown. It's like an NFL Divine Comedy. The ninth circle of Bears quarterback hell is reserved for epic failures:

t1_grossman1.jpg

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Stewart's deep down for me because I actually had HOPE for the guy to at least bring a spark to the offense. Another miserable injury-ridden failure who was replaced by Grossman.

Fun fact I just read: Rex Grossman was the first Chicago QB to start all sixteen games since Erik Kramer in 1995.