TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

The NFL Preseason Thread.

Guest WhackingCockDick

God will, however, sign with the Patriots for the league minimum so that He has the privilege of playing with TOM TERRIFIC.

The Arizona Cardinals had some odd choices for greatest ever. Neil Lomax? That is crazy. What bothered me the most was that there was no Aeneas Williams or even Larry Centers.

Wow...just heard on Mike and Mike that Gene Upshaw passed away from pancreatic cancer at age 68. Right now, it's just on NFL.com but I'm sure it'll be on the other sites soon enough.

A real QB showcase tonight on Fox, as Kyle Orton's Chicago Bears take on J.T. O'Sullivan and the San Francisco 49ers. It's the third preseason game, too, so these talented youngsters should be on the field well into the second quarter.

Chicago's defense (including the starting unit) got lit up tonight. This team has question marks at quarterback, running back, wide receiver, every offensive line position, and apparently at several defensive positions. Their special teams should be solid though, except on kick return coverage, where they'll struggle.

4-12.

Um, I'm pretty sure I just heard HHH's theme music played over the PA before SF kicked it off.

Awesome?

Wrestling theme music = popular at sporting events. Especially HHH's theme.

Chicago's defense (including the starting unit) got lit up tonight. This team has question marks at quarterback, running back, wide receiver, every offensive line position, and apparently at several defensive positions. Their special teams should be solid though, except on kick return coverage, where they'll struggle.

4-12.

Chicago's offense actually looked very good tonight. It's possible that a lot of it was due to San Fran's poor defense but at least the Bears took advantage of it. But yeah, their defense did look pretty bad.

The Lions looked pretty good tonight...there's still a few things that need a lot more work (particularly in the run game) but I think they're much improved from last year. Calvin Johnson is gonna be a STUD as long as he stays healthy.

What's the status on Drew Stanton?

Right now he's 3rd behind Kitna and Orlovsky. He did well in both preseason games and showed great athleticism but he's still raw and wasn't using much of the playbook. I do think he's got a good shot to win the backup job but he's not gonna start for another year or two.

Stratch the backup gig for Stanton; he's out 4 weeks with a sprained thumb. Pretty disappointing because Stanton really needs to get in more reps in game-time situations (which he most likely won't get in the regular season). In the meantime, the Lions picked up Drew Henson. Nice to see him around but he's just there to get the Lions through the rest of the preseason without overworking Kitna and Orlovsky.

The one thing that occurs to me watching the Jets/Browns game is that Bernie Kosar is a complete nitwit.

Bernie Kosar doing that Browns-Lions preseason game last year while (I'm guessing) completely blasted was a treasure trove of drops for sports radio stations.

"Onside kick for the happy ending and we all go home happyhappyhappy."

"He forgot to bring Touchdown Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus."

I see what you mean...

47-3 Carolina with 10:37 to go in the 4th. Good lord. 7.8 yards per carry; I didn't like the deal to move up to draft Otah and I was hesitant on taking Stewart over Mendenhall or Felix Jones, but I can't argue with results.

For as shitty as this preseason has gone for the Browns, I'm really going to miss Bernie Kosar commentating these games. Team this man up w/ John Madden!

Bernie Bernie

Oh Whoa

He can throw

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Bernie Bernie

Oh Whoa

Super Bowl

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Obviously it didn't turn out that way but the late 1980s were a fun time in dreary Cleveland.

I've been spending this pre-season lurking on the Bengals Official Message Board, simply because I had nothing better to do. Never have I been anywhere so depressing yet amusing. A great deal of the posters there gave up on this season after the very first preseason game. Yeah, the one we won. I sense they'll toss Carson under the bus at some point in the next month or two.

Man the Vikings need a passing game. Jackson and his two top receivers are held out tonight and Peterson has 12 rushes for a measely 21 yards. He'll eat that all season if they can't throw the ball.

Osi Umenyiora out for the season with a torn MCL

Don't know how the Giants recover from that one.

No pass rush=secondary exposed

at least they won the championship last year

Man, this Shawn Merriman injury really sucks. He's the heart of the Chargers' defense. I thought they had a chance to at least make it back to the AFC title game this year, but with the possible ramifications, Merriman should get surgery rather than play. No sense in risking your whole career over one season.

In other news, the Cardinals have named Kurt Warner the starter over Matt Leinart. It's a good decision in the short term, based on how Leinart has played this preseason, but a terrible one long-term. It'll only lead to Warner getting benched after 5-6 games and then bitching the rest of the season while riding the pine. I could be wrong, though, as the Cards have a pretty easy schedule for the first half of the season.

LOL at UndertakerHart replying to my mention of Merriman, yet ignoring the mention of Warner and reposting the news. :-P

But yeah, Merriman's not out yet for sure... Though the smart choice, as I said, would be not to play until fully healed.

Can you blame the Cards for going with Warner though? I have watched the Cardinals preseason games and Leinart has regressed throughout the preseason. Last night was the final straw though, with Matt going 4-12 with 3 picks and a QB rating of 2.8.

It's stupid to start Warner because you need to see what you have with Leinart. He's your first round pick that is getting paid an insane amount of money. Warner is solid but let's face it, the Cardinals aren't exactly playing for the Superbowl this year and if they were, Warner isn't the guy to get them there either. They have to see Leinart over a full season to know if he is their guy or if they need to look for another quarterback in the draft.

Warner threw 27 TDs last year in 11 starts and parts of three other games and with him the Cardinals could challenge for the division title. I don't care if he's 80, the right move is to start him.