TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Affliction: Day of Reckoning

Didn't know Kirill Sidelnikov was fighting against Buentello. Should be fun. Kiril is seen as Fedors top pupil at the moment and fights very similarly to his mentor. Hopefully it will make for some good action. Any thoughts on the prospects of Sidelnikov?

Listening to some old pro-wrestling themes, it dawned on me that Arlovski has really missed out on the chance to gimmick-up his post-UFC run, playing up his looks compared to his recent run of opponents as "Ravishing" Andrei Arlovski. The interviews alone would be awesome.

It doesn't fit with the alliteration, though. It would have to be Aravishing Andrei Arlovski.

Imagine the pre-fight interview...

"What I'd like to have right now, is for all you fat, outta shape, sin city sweathogs, to shut up and watch a real man shadowbox"

But, you know, completely incomprehensible.

Now that I remember that there's an Affliction card coming up, I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I know from the Observer that Arlovski brought in Freddie Roach to hone his boxing skills and find a weakness in Fedor standing. So that has me intrigued. Roach compared Fedor to Tyson, saying that they'd use speed and precision to beat him standing.

...I honestly don't fucking know anything else on this card though.

See, it's odd. Heading into Fedor/Sylvia I knew that Fedor would crush Sylvia. If anything I was too generous saying Sylvia would make it a minute or so.

But with Arlovski, I'm not so sure. I can't really think of anyone Fedor's faced with Arlovski's style of attack. Arlovski is balls out. He doesn't have the greatest chin but he makes up for it in speed and technique. Outside of Mirko, I can't really think of anyone that Fedor's fought with Arlovski's style. And even then, Mirko was more powerful then Arlovski is and not as quick.

This is of course if Arlovski comes out with the Rothwell style. If he's anything less then that, he's toast.

I think I'll still stick with Fedor, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to a decision.

There are tickets available all over the place. They probably shouldn't have put the fight in the same area as Margarito-Mosley. That's almost sold out, this isn't even close.

Hopefully they don't die or anything like that.

I'm surprised Margarito/Mosley is such a hot draw. Isn't Mosley super washed up now?

I wouldn't go as far as to say he is washed up, I mean he gave Cotto almost all he could handle last year, but in boxing moving up and down in weight can be a huge deal as far as performance goes. Some guys have early success they can't match later because of moving up or down in order to go after big money fights, and then people think they are done as a fighter, but then they move back to their natural weight and they once again become dominant.

Is the Affliction fight on the 24th? I wonder if Hooters is showing it, I know they didn't show the last one but that was because UFC had a show the same night.

I'm surprised Margarito/Mosley is such a hot draw. Isn't Mosley super washed up now?

You're surprised a boxing legend from California Vs. an entertaining, popular, Mexican fighter is a hot draw in Cali? Please...

And Mosley is far from "super washed up".

It's all about the matchup. Mosley isn't a great draw, his fight against Mayorga wasn't sold out a few months back and that card had Shane as the selling point. But a matchup like the one this weekend is sure fireworks. Tickets were pretty cheap too.

Cool to have choices. I wish I could go to both, but I already chose.

The more I've thought about it, the more I like Arlovski's chances. I don't think I'd go as far as to say he has an even shot at winning, but I really think he could be the one that finally does it.

Arlovski has a sizable speed advantage over Fedor. Fedor beats him in power. In standing striking, Arlovski's ahead of Fedor in terms of technique. Grappling's hard to say, but Fedor's probably ahead. Neither man has really had a problem with cardio.

The biggest issue for Arlovski is his chin. All of his losses come from TKO/KO aside from the decision with Sylvia. You can't train yourself to have a good chin. Fedor has shown himself to be able to take shots and not go down.

Fedor also has the advantage that most PRIDE guys haven't had, in that he doesn't show any signs of the "PRIDE weardown" issue like Nog and Silva. The reason, is while Fedor's fought a lot, he really hasn't overall fought that much even compared to UFC fighters. You divide the number of fights by the years he's been active, and it only comes out to about 3.75 per year. That's below some UFC fighters. And he hasn't exactly been in many "wars" where he took a beating. More or less, it was always him giving out the trashings.

I still think Fedor will win, but I would not be surprised at all if Arlovski's able to get the victory over Fedor. Arlovski's strengths are similiar to Fedor's, and he presents a challenge for Fedor that Fedor's never dealt with before.

If only Affliction wasn't going to die.

"Arlovski has a sizable speed advantage over Fedor."

Really? Because the handspeed Fedor displayed in putting Sylvia down was on par with anything Arlovski has ever dished out in his career.

Is the Affliction fight on the 24th? I wonder if Hooters is showing it, I know they didn't show the last one but that was because UFC had a show the same night.

You're always welcome to make the roadie to Anaheim...

There's a pretty big difference.

It wasn't the speed that beat Sylvia. It was Sylvia's own shittiness. Sylvia always throws that jab. Everytime. In every fight. Couture knew this, and came in right over the top. Fedor also knew this, but he had more speed and power then Couture and finished Sylvia.

No matter what happened in that fight, even if you took away Fedor's "explosiveness", Sylvia was going to be finished. Because the man never *LEARNS* and uses the same goddamn tactic in every fight he has. Eventually Sylvia would have thrown the jab again, Fedor comes over the top, and you have a replay. Arlovski, even as bad as was (and could very well be against Fedor) has never had such an obvious tactic. Simply put, he's a better fighter then Sylvia overall.

There's more to striking then stunning a guy and then throwing an assload of punches. Arlovski works angles, speed, and footwork. Fedor is like a more talented Henderson. He has mix it up with good speed and technique, but he's more interested in landing power shots to weaken you. There's a pretty big difference in how they tackle striking. Arlovski also throws kicks and knees. Fedor really doesn't, although he can. He's much more content to just punch you until you fall. Arlovski is just as capable of throwing a sudden flying knee in a flurry as he is a punch.

There's also just the fact that simply moving around Arlovski's quicker. Fedor comes right at you. Arlovski probably won't until you are stunned.

This is ALL based on "which" Arlovski shows up. If he's at his UFC glory days and at the level of Rothwell's fight in terms of speed, combination, and ferocity. If he comes in like he did after the fluke KO loss to Sylvia, then he's utterly utterly fucked.

http://www.afflictiondayofreckoning.com/

Not sure if this is an official site, but this site lists the wrong FUCKING main event

I so hope its the official site for WCW comedy purposes

-----

Edit: It seems Affliction posted it, but haven't updated since August

EDIT EDIT: They also have the PPV listed as being on both OCt 11th and Jan 17th, on the same page, 3 inches apart.

Both dates are obviously wrong.