TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LivingLegendGaryColeman

NOES re-make casting updates

Found this on the news portion of IMDB:

Billy Bob Thornton will star as Freddy Krueger in a new Nightmare On Elm Street movie.

The 53-year-old actor will take on the chilling role in a remake of the 1984 original.

Robert Englund, who played the part in eight films, revealed that Thornton will star in the horror films and is an "excellent choice" for the role.

He adds, "A big budget should mean the film will look a lot better than some of the old movies."

I'll be the judge of it when I see him in the make-up. As for the character, Billy Bob has proved that he can play a sick, twisted, fowl mouthed cunt with the best of them, so I don't see any issues there.

...the remake just got somewhat interesting. And seeing as how Englund is flat-out saying he approves of Thornton, no fan can really be mad. Here's to hoping they do the Carpenter route of remakes, and somehow make it creepier and gorier than the original.

...the remake just got somewhat interesting. And seeing as how Englund is flat-out saying he approves of Thornton, no fan can really be mad. Here's to hoping they do the Carpenter route of remakes, and somehow make it creepier and gorier than the original.

Excuse me? I can't get mad that Mr. Woodcock is going to play one of the most LEGENDARY horror film icons just because the original says it's ok? Fuck off.

Has this been officially confirmed? Except for IMDB and some rumor sites, I haven't seen anything about it. Has any studio announcement been made?

If it is true, I dunno, I've got mixed feelings. Thornton is a better actor than many of other guys they could've gone with. Considering this is a modern horror remake, we should probably feel relieved that it's not Liev Schrieber or Matthew Fox or some damn thing like that. Though I do wonder why they feel the need to replace Englund in the first place. Sure, he's sixty years old now, but Thornton is fifty-three himself.

This is going to be bad. So very, very bad.

I have a general rule of thumb, if a film has Billy Bob Thornton in it, it's more than likely going to suck.

Has this been officially confirmed? Except for IMDB and some rumor sites, I haven't seen anything about it. Has any studio announcement been made?

If it is true, I dunno, I've got mixed feelings. Thornton is a better actor than many of other guys they could've gone with. Considering this is a modern horror remake, we should probably feel relieved that it's not Liev Schrieber or Matthew Fox or some damn thing like that. Though I do wonder why they feel the need to replace Englund in the first place. Sure, he's sixty years old now, but Thornton is fifty-three himself.

I saw the same story on Yahoo News.. not sure if that counts for anything.

Its far from confirmed actually......alot of places are jumping on this story way ahead of themselves. Here is what went down...got this from Gorezone..

** A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET remake: The JoBlo.com web site is reporting that Robert Englund was on Loveline promoting his upcoming film, JACK BROOKS: MONSTER SLAYER, and during his appearance he claimed that he had heard that Oscar-winning actor Billy Bob Thornton was a name being thrown around to play Freddy Krueger in the remake of A NIGHTMARE ONE ELMS STREET. Englund has been known to "invent" stories that he thinks would be cool. With New Line Cinema hiring Wesley Strick to write the screenplay just a few weeks ago, it seems highly unlikely that any casting talk is underway. (thanks to Bloody-Disgusting.com)

Well, considering most horror icons are (often) pretty average actors who just happen to have a decent amount of charisma (read: BRUCE CAMPBELL, and I'm a total Campbell fanboy), having somebody the general public views as a good/great actor attached to the project? Really, that's nothing to be mad about.

And how did Thornton ruin the Bad News Bears remake? The script fucking ruined it before anything else. When you take away all of the factors that the original great, and leave only a Disney-ized semblance in its wake, then of course the movie's going to suck. Didn't help that not a single member of the cast was likeable, even in a "oh, those darn cheeky kids" manner.

This is going to be bad. So very, very bad.

I have a general rule of thumb, if a film has Billy Bob Thornton in it, it's more than likely going to suck.

Your rule of thumb sucks.

Also, I guess I'm the only one, but I liked Bad News Bears

The remakes of TCM and Halloween (hopefully F-13) worked because the villains were masked and there were many sequels so the actors can replaced easily without many people noticing or caring. The problem is Robert Englund IS Freddy Krueger and I'm not going to accept this, no matter how good it may turn out. Why didn't they just make a sequel? The original NOES is just fine as it is. No need for a remake. FUCK this bullshit!

Ahem, "Bad Santa", "The Man Who Wasn't There", and several others would like to have a word with you.

Well the first question is, will the remake be more true to the original NOES, where Freddy barely talked, and wasn't throwing out one-liners before every kill, or is it going to take the NOES 3-6 approach where Freddy is part comedian and party serial killer.

I am not to keen on Billy Bob as Freddy, but then again not many people were down with Ledger as Joker a couple of years ago.........

I guess I am more disgusted with the thought of a NOES remake that, it kind of doesn't matter at this point who is in the cast.

Until I see some footage or a trailer to convince me otherwise, I have a feeling this is going to be as over-glossed and polished and boring as the TCM & Halloween remake.

Ahem, "Bad Santa", "The Man Who Wasn't There", and several others would like to have a word with you.

A Simple Plan, The Ice Harvest, Sling Blade, Tombstone, and Friday Night Lights, too.

I'd actually even be all for, not just a NOES sequel of some sorts (more specifically, kill two birds with one stone and just have Freddy v. Jason 2, and also get rid of the ridiculous Friday the 13th remake as well), but if they are just dead-set on a remake, by tying in Krueger's past, which leads to him being burned, etc, I just wish they would do a straight prequal instead of a "remake." The backstory of Freddy is pretty good stuff in the right hands, and with the right person in the role, and honestly that still could and should be Englund, if they just went an almost straight prequal deal, as even an older looking Robert Englund (without the heavy burned face makeup job, of course) would still fit the role just fine, almost maybe much better than, say, 20 years ago. In fact, I would mark out like a motherfucker, seeing a really well done film based on Krueger's past and then at or near the end of the film, we get Englund in the full out scary Freddy Krueger look of the character from the original, perhaps killing his first victim on Elm Street after it's revealed how he invades dreams in the first place, etc. But without a proper consultant to an idea such as this (Wes Craven doesnt necessarily have to write or direct it, but he should be someone they have on board) and most definately, Englund still playing Krueger, I just can't see this anything but a letdown.

The TV series Freddy's Nightmares did an hour long prequel of sorts themselves, which was pretty good but could be done so much better, especially nowadays.

And Billy Bob as Freddy......he may be able to bring the creepiness a bit in explaining how Freddy became, well, Freddy, but I just can't see him putting on any sort of good role in the whole full scale dreammaster Freddy regalia.

A Simple Plan, The Ice Harvest, Sling Blade, Tombstone, and Friday Night Lights, too.

One False Move, Dead Man, The Apostle, Princess Mononoke, Primary Colors, Pushing Tin, Bandits, Monster's Ball, Intolerable Cruelty...

Still, point is, he's been in a whole hell of a lot of movies which most people would say didn't suck. The NOES remake will suck because it's a horror remake, not because of whoever plays Freddy.

The remakes of TCM and Halloween (hopefully F-13) worked because the villains were masked and there were many sequels so the actors can replaced easily without many people noticing or caring. The problem is Robert Englund IS Freddy Krueger and I'm not going to accept this, no matter how good it may turn out. Why didn't they just make a sequel? The original NOES is just fine as it is. No need for a remake. FUCK this bullshit!

You lost me right there..

Bad example, touché. But he's not great on the levels of, say, Oscar winners. Hell, I wouldn't even say half of the Oscar winners of the last 20 years were great actors themselves. Campbell is extremely charismatic, but I wouldn't say he's a great actor, and like I said: I'm a fanboy.