TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Discussion: WWE Scramblemania~!

From JR's blog:

Will the potential WWE Title changes in the WWE Championship Scramble be entered into the record books, or just the final pin or submission prior to the 20 minute time limit expiring?

Apparently he has a lot of faith in Mark Henry keeping his ECW Title throughout the match. That and oh yeah, shouldn't JR be telling us?

I'd like WWE announcers to stop claiming the champion has an 80% chance of losing their title. Since when do competitors in a sporting event all have an exactly equal chance of winning? I don't think anyone's going to give me an equal 50% chance of winning a 100 metre race against Usain Bolt.

WWE: Bad at statistics.

From JR's blog:

Will the potential WWE Title changes in the WWE Championship Scramble be entered into the record books, or just the final pin or submission prior to the 20 minute time limit expiring?

I think it's fine for a comedy belt like the Hardcore Title to each pinfall or submission, but it'd be a joke to do the same for any of the world titles.

The only way I'd regret not getting tickets to Unforgiven is if The Brian Kendrick walks out WWE Champion. Per Meltz, they haven't even sold 6,000 tickets yet. Yikers! I do think the Browns opening the NFL season at home against Dallas less than 4 hours before the start of Unforgiven has a bit to do w/ it.

The only way I'd regret not getting tickets to Unforgiven is if The Brian Kendrick walks out WWE Champion. Per Meltz, they haven't even sold 6,000 tickets yet. Yikers! I do think the Browns opening the NFL season at home against Dallas less than 4 hours before the start of Unforgiven has a bit to do w/ it.

Yeah, a 4:15 kickoff for the Browns vs. Dallas is NOT helping their cause. Of course, WWE shot itself in the foot the last time they held a PPV here... Survivor Series 04 was on the same day that the Browns played a home game against the Steelers. This town doesn't have the population or the disposable income to fill up a WWE event when the Browns are in town too.

But WWE continuously gets higher ratings than Monday Night Football... Surely these "Browns" will have no effect on the WWE Scramble extravaganza!

But WWE continuously gets higher ratings than Monday Night Football... Surely these "Browns" will have no effect on the WWE Scramble extravaganza!

you underestimate us cleveland browns fans.

So, the more I think about it, I'm almost positive that the first two Scramble matches will have new champions, just to hammer home the point about it being "impossible" for the champion to retain their title in this type of match, only to make it that much bigger when the champion in the third scramble match successfully does retain their title.

you underestimate us cleveland browns fans.

Well, I thought it was obvious that it was a joke based on WWE's constant "Did you know?" facts regarding MNF.

Well, I thought it was obvious that it was a joke based on WWE's constant "Did you know?" facts regarding MNF.

Why did WWE start doing those "Did you know?" facts a few months ago anyway? Just something they wanted to do right after this year's draft?

I have no idea what kind of matches these will be, but I do think we'll see a few different kinds of finishes: One will have the silly pin in the last minute finish. One will be a guy breaking things up for 20 mins. and surviving. And one will be a guy dominating only to end up losing the belt. I would think Punk would be the guy who constantly breaks stuff up, HHH's match will end in the last second thriller, and the ECW match will feature Henry destroying everyone only to lose.

I still stand that MVP hits the running kick on Triple H after he hits the pedigree at the last second (even if there is supposedly heat on MVP, it's still the way to go unless they want to do the spot with Jeff hitting a swanton at the last second after a pedigree and Jeff can get a short, very short run with the title before he inevitably fucks up again).

CM Punk really needs to go Wire to Wire. One person tried to argue that would make him look bad because it appeared they were going with the idea that everyone was injured in some capacity but that isn't the case anymore and everyone is "healthy". Punk should just break everything up and hit a definitive GTS on someone not named JBL or Mysterio within the final minute of the match. It'd make for good drama to see Punk outlast everyone, rather then seeing him trying to catch the clock or outright losing.

As for the ECW match? I expect a hot potato match to hammer the "titles can change" aspect as it will be the first scramble of the night and I think Hardy will have the title in his grasp in the final minutes only for Atlas to get involved and Henry gets the title back. I agree that Hardy should win the title in a one on one fashion.

Also, there's no excuse now that Shawn is cleared for the match for the Jericho-Shawn match not to close. That is the selling point of this show and in theory, it should be such a vicious match that nothing could follow it.

CM Punk really needs to go Wire to Wire. One person tried to argue that would make him look bad because it appeared they were going with the idea that everyone was injured in some capacity but that isn't the case anymore and everyone is "healthy". Punk should just break everything up and hit a definitive GTS on someone not named JBL or Mysterio within the final minute of the match. It'd make for good drama to see Punk outlast everyone, rather then seeing him trying to catch the clock or outright losing.

Assuming you were referring to me, my contention wasn't that the mere concept of that booking would make him look bad. In theory it will be exactly what you said it would be. My point is that the WWE themselves (read: people that are not you or me) will not portray such a story that way. Although it is promising to me that they seem to have had Batista and Kane see miracle healers before this big match.

If the Undertaker's challenge is voided, doesn't that mean HHH has a better chance of retaining than Punk? There has to be a title change otherwise it makes the PPV and gimmick completely pointless.

I was disappointed by the setting. I thought all five guys were going to be present at the ring, but couldn't get into the ring until the bell sounded. After tonight, I don't want to see the Scramble stipulation be used again for a long time.

Something I realized/didn't like about the Scramble concept:

When Batista had JBL in the figure four, for example, why the hell wouldn't JBL just tap out? Since you don't get eliminated by being pinned or submitting, all JBL was doing was keeping himself in pain for longer. You don't even have to pin the champion to take the title, so how does it make any difference to JBL whether Batista or someone else is the champion? It would've only made since if JBL was the champ at the time, which he wasn't.

I don't want to see the Scramble concept anytime soon either.

The first 5 minutes of the Scramble matches had really flawed psychology that can't be fixed without adding even more rules, so I guess they just hoped no one would call them on it. In kayfabe, it takes energy just to kick out of a pinfall, so why are you doing that? Pride, I suppose.

I think the scramble will be a fine match for a #1 contender shot on TV or a mid-card title match in the future which is exactly what the ECW Scramble and that was a fun match with a interesting non-bullshit finish that the crowd was into. It shouldn't be used for the two World Titles.

I think guys just tapping out and taking pinfalls would just loud bizzare in any wrestling match. The average person dosn't put that much thought into watching pro wrestling, and the live crowd would be confused as hell without an announcer to explain the stradegy.

So long as they have some sort of graphic showing you who is on top, it should work.

I don't want to see this type of match again in a long time, and when it does come back it needs to be an Extreme Rules scramble, because garbage is the only way an idea this stupid could be any fun.