TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - September 2008

No more Triple H also helps.

You know, it's weird, I really don't hate or dis-like Triple H at all. I actually do like him, but I just think he's run his course with me. He could retire tomorrow and I would be alright with that. He doesn't belong on SD because he's too big a fish in too small a pond, yet I don't want him on Raw anymore...but I don't dis-like him. Does that seem weird to you?

There's never anything weird with someone on the Internet wanting HHH off of TV ;) But you're right, it has helped Raw. HHH has been a face for two years, right? And face turns are like leaving him out of the bag; he's getting stale. And I think he's been great since he came back, don't get me wrong. SummerSlam proved what a worker he is, but at this point, I want him to retire before he ruins his knees and wins his 16th world title. To be honest, I've always hoped HHH would retire at fifteen, but we'll see if he can make it that far now.

*awaits HHH wrestling for eight more years*

I think Helms is still out thanks to the neck injury he suffered back in May '07. I can't see why he'd be in a rush to get back now that there's really no cruiserweight division. Sadly, I think he's bound to become cannon fodder upon his return.

What is up with WWE giving their new talent the most uninspiring, generic names possible? Would it be that awful to give them something marketable?

Not just new talent who got their start in FCW either. WWE let CM Punk keep his name, yet they change Colt Cabana's name to fucking Scotty Goldman and job him out.

In the case of Goldman, the wwe specifically gave him that name because I guess they wanted a Jewish wrestler. Do we have our new Barry Horowitz? Should Scotty start patting himself on the back?

Punk only kept his name because of Heyman.

How is Randy Savage any better than Trent Baretta? The Ultimate Warrior is actually pretty damn lame when you think about it - I mean if they had introduced Jack Swagger instead as simply "the Kickass Fighter", well I'd think that was lame as hell.

Byron Sexton and Carson Oakley absolutely suck, no getting around that. Tyson Tarver is badass (and a nice boxing shoutout).

I've mentioned this before during the outrages for the other poorly named newcomers, the name of a talent doesn't ultimately determine the ability of that person to get over. Some of the biggest names in the business have had generic names but because of their charisma, talent or just a really good push, those names no longer feel awkward or cheesy because we accept them in that role. I've always found it puzzling how some people such as Cena and Batista can have real names but others can't, however, John Cena would've been a star if they'd named him with whatever their random name generator created.

I'm not denying these names are horrible because most of them are but let's not write them off for good because of a questionably bad name.

Is Dolph doing the same gimmick that Joe E. Legend was doing years ago? Didn't Joe go around introducing himself and randomly popping up in backstage segments?

Is Dolph doing the same gimmick that Joe E. Legend was doing years ago? Didn't Joe go around introducing himself and randomly popping up in backstage segments?

Doesn't appear so. He is said to be doing a Dirk Diggler character, which continues to prove that McMahon is 10 years behind in pop culture.

From PWI:

The 9/15 edition of Raw did just a 2.6 cable rating. That is NOT a typo. The show did not have one quarter hour that broke a 3.0. The highest one came at 10:15 and only did a 2.91. The show did hours of 2.51 and 2.7. Yes, they were hurt by Monday Night Football but a 2.6 is still a 2.6. The time has finally come for Vince McMahon to address the flaws in his creative process if he wants to have a chance at ending the audience erosion.

That's certainly a "holy shit" rating number if you ask me.

That's a truly horriffic rating...

I agree, what could have caused this? Surely football couldn't have pulled it THAT low?

Of course the last time it was this low it was apparantly a Nielsen error.

Don't worry, Triple H will return to save the day. Along with special weekly appearences from Stone Cold Steve Austin as well as the triumphant and miraculous recovery of Vincent Kennedy McMahon. How much longer is the USA contract, anyways? A 2.6 isn't horrible for cable but it's really, really bad for WWE. That's nearly WCW death numbers.

What will be defense here? The power outage in the midwest? Hurricane Ike's path of rage? Students back to school?

What will be defense here? The power outage in the midwest? Hurricane Ike's path of rage? Students back to school?

I think it's because kids are still out trick-or-treating from a few years back...

More from PWI:

As mentioned earlier, Raw did just a 2.6 cable rating this week. I speculated earlier in the day that the great Monday Night Football game between Dallas and Philadelphia would cost WWE some of their audience and it did. The game did a 13.3 cable rating, which was the best rating that ESPN has ever done.

For WWE apologists who thinks that lets WWE off of the hook, MNF has scored higher numbers on free TV in the past, and also gone up against the Major League Baseball playoffs and football at the same time. Again, a 2.6 is a 2.6 and for the last four weeks, Raw's ratings have been horrible. At the risk of beating a dead horse, that starts and ends with Vince McMahon's vision of creative.

For those who asked about the season finale of The Closer on TNT, which did a 5.9 cable rating, it is not a factor since the show draws much older viewers than WWE.

Also, on another note, I have gotten some email from people saying that other reputable sites are reporting that Raw did a 2.7 last night. After seeing one of the links, I think I know what happened. For about five minutes, I had a post on this site saying that Raw did a 2.7. I mistook the high 2.91 quarter hour for the second hour number and and came up with the incorrect figure. I went and fixed the story on PWInsider.com and planned on doing a mea culpa here for those that read the report in the first five minutes. Well, it seems that as a byproduct, we caught some people that steal news items from this site and don't credit us. That wasn't my intent, but it certainly does point out how some people I felt play by the rules actually don't.

I think it's because kids are still out trick-or-treating from a few years back...

That explanation sounds fishy to me.

There is a rib in his gimmick somewhere, because there is a big lockerroom deal that new talent must go around and introduce themselves to the locker room.

Yeah that's a pretty normal thing, new talent or not new talent. Talent, new or old, goes around the locker room and shakes everyone's hand and says hi, it's a very common thing.

There is a rib in his gimmick somewhere, because there is a big lockerroom deal that new talent must go around and introduce themselves to the locker room.

Yeah that's a pretty normal thing, new talent or not new talent. Talent, new or old, goes around the locker room and shakes everyone's hand and says hi, it's a very common thing.

Or, if you're Kerry Von Erich, you do it twice! Let's wait and see if somebody shits in his bag next week.

It used to be that MNF didnt start til like 9:20 on ABC with it "starting" at 9 and then having 20 minutes of pregame. The move to ESPN has the game starting almost right at 8:30. Vince can't throw the big match on first anymore to get people to keep watching RAW instead of flipping to Football at 9:20 cause the game's already on before RAW even starts. I wonder if this leads to more 3 hour RAWs during football season, or just a 2 hour start at 8?

So, for the MNTV debut of SmackDown! it's going to be HHH vs. Y2J vs. Matt Hardy in a triple threat match.

Between Jericho and Hardy, who do you think is going to lose?

Or, if you're Kerry Von Erich, you do it twice! Let's wait and see if somebody shits in his bag next week.

*claps*