TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

The NFL All-Time Draft

Smartly Pretty

EHME

I don't particularly care for either team's QB situation, but I like Donovan as a mobile QB to create more opportunities in the passing game. Plus EHME already has the clear running edge with the underrated Brown/Watters tandem and two physical blocking receivers. I like SP's defense a little more, but I think EHME has a more substantial offensive advantage.

Brooklyn Zoo

VX

VX's secondary matches up well with BZ's receivers, and I think VX's zone blocking scheme would work against this D-Line. Marshall Faulk is the difference-maker on the offensive side of things.

CanadianChris

HarleyQuinn

I don't think the 3-4 could contain Barry Sanders, and CC's small, fast defense makes it a lot easier to contain a run/gun offense. Bad draw for HQ on this one.

Bristol Palin's Baby Daddy

Kahran Ramsus

Possibly the hardest call of the first round. I give Payton and KR's O-line plus Tarkenton's mobility a slight advantage here.

Bored

jwest27

I like Bored's passing game, and his "back 7" on defense. The LB's are a huge difference in this one.

TheOriginalOrangeGoblin

Tzar

TOOG's O-Line is up to the task in this one, and a big bruising runner like Franco is the best response to that defense. And TOOG's defense is more than enough to contain Tzar's 11 defense-resters.

Fokai

Gert T

By the slimmest of slim margins, I'll take the Dawson/Simpson/Thomas/Rice tandem. Should be a real shoot-out, but when it comes time for ball control, I think Gert gets the nod.

Smartly vs EHME

- I give Smartly' defense the slight edge but offensively I think EHME has it hands down. EHME's run game will Smartly's defense down and a, healthy, McNabb would play a big part in that with his mobility. Brown and Watters won't explode but they'll consistently move the chains and wear Smartly out giving EHME the win. EHME

Brooklyn Z vs Vitamin X

- This will be a shoot out with VX's defense allowing BZ to run and move the chains, while VX's offense will score with big plays. In the end, VX has too much firepower in my opinion. Vitamin X

CanadianChris vs HarleyQuinn

- This will be a very close game. In the end, Sanders will be the difference since HQ's defense will have little trouble containing CC's recievers but won't be able to stop Barry. CanadianChris

909 vs Just John

- JJ has a great offense with Allen and Brady and the right coach for them in Johnson. 909 has a better coach (I'm a big Shanahan fan) and a slightly better defense. That defense will be the difference in a very close game. Plus I'll take Montana over Brady anyday. 909

BPBD vs Kahran Rasmus

- Kahran's O and D lines are killer and his defense should have little trouble shutting down Elway and Bettis. The big worry would be Sayers, whose insane speed could play a big factor. However Kahran gets the overall edge because I don't see BPBD's defense containing Payton. Plus, Smith is too fast and man to man, which BPBD said he would play, would lead to someone getting burned. Kahran Rasmus

Bored vs jwest27

- A total defensive struggle. I don't really like either offense and the way it matches up against the defenses. Bored gets the edge bascially because I think LT is the greatest defensive player ever and, in a close battle, that gives him the edge. Bored

fokai vs Gert T

- fokai defense would get stampede by OJ and Thurman and his secondary would struggle to contain Rice and Witten. His offense would keep it competitive but Gert's defense is strong neough to stop Peyton and co. a few times which be enough. Gert T

I ask that everyone please read the write-ups (as I will be doing) before they post their picks. In fact, I will be making picks based solely on each team's gameplan. On my behalf, my write-up shaped my team because I picked the "best fit" over available talent (or best talent available). If you still feel that Gert's team is the better team, that is fine (and in fact, I hate this matchup because I felt that Gert put together a great "team" as well).

CanadianChris - Run & shoot is just too much of a gimmick, athough was tempted to go the other way as I think CC's secondary is a bit suspect.

Yeah, that's going to kill me in later rounds, I think. I thought we were going to be drafting about five more guys as reserves, so I was going to draft another CB, stick Hanks at FS, and bring Robinson in in nickel packages. That would be killer.

EHME - Too good on offence, especially in the backfield.

VX - This was one of my top 3 teams overall. His defence will be sending guys out on stretchers all game.

909 - I couldn't find anything to choose from here, so I flipped a coin.

Kahran Ramsus - Another one of my top 3. This team would do everything well. May be the most well-balanced team in the entire contest.

Bored - I also didn't really like either offence. They both have outstanding defences, but LT and Carson together would give me nightmares.

Tzar - This team intrigues the hell out of me. Fantastic defence, fantastic special teams, and I can't be the only one who'd want to see Vick and Bo in the same backfield.

Gert T - I think Fokai did the best job in the back half of the draft. That said, I love Gert's offence, and I think he wins a high-scoring affair here.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Smartly Pretty

Ehme

Monster lines. Got to love that. He also has probably the most underrated receiver group in the whole draft. Marvin Harrison is so goddamn good. Probably the best value pick in the entire draft, gun to my head.

Brooklyn Zoo

VX

I adore his backfield. Both of those guys can catch so well out of the backfield that, with Favre given time, 3rd down would almost never be an issue. I don't see any killers in his front seven, but they're all great. Secondary's definitely terrific. Paid attention to special teams, too! Excellent team.

CanadianChris

HarleyQuinn

This was a difficult pick. I'd consider Steve Young a better QB than Bart Starr. I'd consider Barry Sanders to be arguably the best RB in the draft. I like Harley's offensive line more. I like CC's defense more. Evenly matched. Special teams for the win. Harley's punter has punted five times. Even the worst defense in this draft is going to force more than a couple of punts. Questionable kicking to Billy White Shoes Johnson? A dangerous prospect. Very close matchup.

JustJohn

John has one of my favorite teams in the whole draft. Definitely a modern football mindset here, with balance all over and an offense that runs to set up the pass. Smart move. 909 has a wonderful power running game, but I think he has some weaknesses in his defense. Not sure about Dawkins or Simon. Boulware seems a little out of place, too.

Bristol Palin's Baby Daddy

Kahran Ramsus

Kahran's team reminds me a lot of JustJohn's. I can't say no to a beasty line and 500 lbs of RB, though. Shit yes. Hate voting against Payton (behind an amazing line. Lots of credit there.) and Bob Lilly, but Sayers and Singletary are sick as hell, too. Another close matchup. Different running games, but equally good. I'd pick either of these teams against many others in this draft. Comes down to me liking Elway better than Tarkenton, I think. I also LOVE that power running tandem married to Stram's 2 TE sets.

Bored

jwest27

This one was fairly easy for me. Coked out mayhem of LT, indeed. I don't get drafting Priest Holmes in this draft at all. I think there were way better options out there.

Not voting on my game, but picture this game played in a snowy ankle-deep filthy mudhole in the 1940s and ask yourself who would win.

Fokai

Gert T

Gert has the best receiver tandem in the draft. Not close. I also have to give him props for being my brother in last round QBs and picking a great one. Peyton in the WCO intrigues me somehow, but having watched his entire professional career, he's really..more than that. His deep ball accuracy, sideline passes, fades. That said, Walsh would certainly never limit a QB to a system, so whatever. Defenses are fairly even, so running games will tip this one. In no universe is Ladanian Tomlinson better than OJ was.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
(I'm sorry. The guy can be great at times when not injured but seriously? You're trying to hype Bob Freakin' Sanders against some of these other defenses?).

I did grab a few guys with injury problems, but at his best, who is a better safety in the league right now? His physical measurables are crazy. Also, having seen the difference in the Colts D with and without him, I can say without flinching that this guy can make a HUGE difference on a team. 4th safety in the history of the league to be voted DPOY.

Not voting on my game, but picture this game played in a snowy ankle-deep filthy mudhole in the 1940s and ask yourself who would win.

I honestly think my team would. Your defense is phenomenal but I just don't get how you'd score even one touchdown on my defense since it's biggest strength offsets your offenses main weapon (speed).

Yeah, Tzar got a tough draw here as well. I love that defense, but I think OOG's offense is set up as well as anyone's to take it. Plus, on the other side, a speedy Tampa 2 defense matches up way too well against an offense that's heavily reliant on backfield speed. The safetys and LB's close way too quickly to get much lateral movement going (which would be difficult in several inches of snow anyway).

Alright, that didn't take quite as long as I thought. I guess I was just dismayed by the Wall O' Text in every other post. Also, my god the hyperbole.

Anyways, here's what I got.

Smartly Pretty - This was a tough one (well they're all tough), but I felt SP's team was slightly better overall. Although he did kind of sort of rip my John Hannah pick a little bit in his obscenely long writeup. Oh well.

Vitamin X Quite the matchup of explosive offense and murderous defense. If Zoo had a bit more offensive firepower, I'd probably give it to him, but I'll go with the X here.

CanadianChris I really like Bart Starr and Barry Sanders behind that O-Line. I feel CC's offensive attack will just win out in this one.

909 I simply liked 909's team better. More talent on offense and defense, I felt.

Kahran Ramsus See above. Sorry, I'm running out of ways to explain my picks here.

TOOG I'm just not sold on the Vick pick (did you see what i did there). Lots of potential fumbles and interceptions for what appears to be a ball control type offense. I'd give the defensive edge to Agent, but Goblin's ain't too bad either. In the end, I really enjoy the concept of Agent's team, I'm just not sure how well it would work out.

Fokai Probably the toughest one for me. Very even teams, but I thought that Fokai's offense has a little more potential.

Also:

I don't get drafting Priest Holmes in this draft at all. I think there were way better options out there.

I don't know. I needed a running back to compliment the beast that is Bronco, and I guess I didn't see many guys in the 14th round that had the kind of seasons he had in his prime, since apparently that's where we're drafting guys at. I definitely would have picked a back earlier in the draft if I could do it over again, though. I am definitely more refined in my football history now, so I'm thinking I could do a lot better across the board.

I didn't mean to rip your John Hannah pick - that's a great pick, Hannah's a fantastic linemen. I was simply trying to illustrate that I think I got a lot of players at similar value late in the draft.

Vitamin X Quite the matchup of explosive offense and murderous defense. If Zoo had a bit more offensive firepower, I'd probably give it to him, but I'll go with the X here.

Aww I should have finished my draft then... then you'll see real firepower.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I honestly think my team would. Your defense is phenomenal but I just don't get how you'd score even one touchdown on my defense since it's biggest strength offsets your offenses main weapon (speed).

I don't think any of these teams are going to score much. Even a couple defensive superstars and a solid supporting cast can take a team to a championship. These defenses are full of guys in Canton and multiple-time All Stars. If you win this game, the score will be 3-2.

My offense definitely can't shoot the lights out or score a bunch of touchdowns, but, starting from the 20, they can drive 30 yards on short passes and running, then kick a floater punt to be fair-caught on the 10 and force a 3 and out, get the ball back on the 50, drive 20-25 yards and kick a field goal. You think there's a team that can run/dink n dunk 80-90 yards on these defenses? No way.

I don't think any of these teams are going to score much. Even a couple defensive superstars and a solid supporting cast can take a team to a championship. These defenses are full of guys in Canton and multiple-time All Stars. If you win this game, the score will be 3-2.

My offense definitely can't shoot the lights out or score a bunch of touchdowns, but, starting from the 20, they can drive 30 yards on short passes and running, then kick a floater punt to be fair-caught on the 10 and force a 3 and out, get the ball back on the 50, drive 20-25 yards and kick a field goal. You think there's a team that can run/dink n dunk 80-90 yards on these defenses? No way.

I disagree wholeheartedly. A great offense (and quite frankly almost every offense drafted, outside of yours, is a great offense) can put up 17 points on any defense. The defense would still be the difference between a win and a loss but these offenses can't FULLY be shut down because they have so many ways to attack you. You, however, got the bad luck of getting stuck against a defense that is built on, realistically, the only big thing your offense has going for it. You think Vick or Bo could do anything against a defense as fast as mine? Plus Vick would turn the ball over numerous times since my everyone in my secondary is a ball hawk and my linebackers are hard hitters who cause fumbles.

VX - I really like VX's secondary.

HarleyQuinn - This was extremely hard to pick, but I really liked HarleyQuinn's write up. Could've gone either way, almost thought about flipping a coin.

JustJohn - Liked his defense better, pretty much equal on offense.

Kahran Ramsus - Tough pick, but the difference was the Payton factor.

Bored - His team is overall better

Tzar - His defense is just too much.

Gert T - Hard one to calll, both have great offenses but I fight Gert's defense is a bit better.

EHME- Like his team a ton. Great backfield, great pass-rushing.

VX- Probably the best team in the draft. I think Brooklyn Zoo has the right mix of how to beat him, just not enough in the secondary. Good front seven though. Favre will gunsling his way to victory.

CanadianChris- Harley has a good offense, but the wrong coach. Defensively I don't think his team could stop Sanders.

Kahran Ramsus- Good team.

Bored- Has LT. Ultimate win.

Original Orange Goblin- Agent has the best defense, but that offense would get ravaged by this defense. Field position battle, and Agent has the idiot kicker. Goblin would win 3-0. Sorry Agent, that offense is balls.

Fokai- I like his team better. LT will get the yards and win the game when he's needed to grind out the clock late. Peyton can't be stopped with all those options.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah that took a while to read through. Here we go.

EHME over Smartly Pretty - Much as I hate to vote for the guy based on his choice of quarterback alone, Namath isn't that great a QB, but all I really see from Smartly Pretty is a fairly decent and speedy group of receivers, which EHME did a great job of handling with his secondary. That running game would probably kill the front seven too, which is Smartly Pretty's biggest strength- I don't care much for his offensive line, despite his claims to the contrary. A speedy DE like Alan Page or Julius Peppers would have a field day with that big group of tubbos Smartly Pretty has.

HarleyQuinn over CanadianChris - Harley is probably the biggest stat geek here, so I'm not surprised to see him put together a strong team. Much as I don't like Belichick now, I loved the Patriots until last season or so, maybe 06. Steve Young would, dare I say, be an even better quarterback than Brady under Belichick, and especially running that run and shoot would be very, very interesting. And I love, love, love that offensive line as well, but he's got a speedy defense that'll generate turnovers as well to give that run and shoot some time to make plays. Also, CC spelled defense 'defence'. This is American football, damn it! Unless you're in the business of uprooting fences, that ain't what we call stopping the other team!

909 over JustJohn - Hoo boy, I looked at JustJohn's team first and thought that couldn't be beat until I saw 909's. Bastard took Ray Nitschke from me, and then he's also got all these killers on BOTH sides- Campbell, Alstott, all the hogs on the o-line, and then Youngblood, Nitschke on defense. All that plus you put in the best coach of the early 90's to lead that team to victory, and you've got it. With Joe Montana to boot! This is a team to watch.

Bristol Palin's Baby Daddy over Kahran Ramsus - This was a very, very, very tough matchup to decide, and this would probably be one of those classic games ending in something like 20-17. Both secondaries are pretty weak and largely ignored, so even though the game could be won through the air, both receiving groups aren't that impressive. This negates the effect of having Elway or Tarkenton, although Elway could do a bit more with less, plus if the game goes down to the trenches, Bettis in his prime would steamroll the dudes on Kahran's front seven a lot easier than Peyton would against BPDB's. Tough matchup.

jwest27 over Bored - I like jwest's team and coach way, way, way better than Bored's. jwest did a good job of clearly recognizing and building his team for a specific purpose. The only thing is, the sweep wouldn't work as well with these defenses, especially with so much speed in a lot of them, and Bored has that covered with that killer front seven. However, when it comes down to the offenses, jwest will definitely come out ahead there, plus Lombardi could coach circles around Holmgren so he would devise something to neutralize LT and come up with some big plays for that offense- I don't think jwest will get that far though, I see a lot of holes on that team. This would be a sloppy affair, to the tune of 23-21 or something.

TheOriginalOrangeGoblin over Tzar - The most controversial team in the draft is probably going to go out with a whimper this round. I love Tzar's attempt at being the 2000 Ravens- win with a bunch of cold blooded killers in the front seven and maniac HOFers in the secondary and fuck an offense- but I think TOOG has the right sort of team to beat him with. TOOG has a lot of speed, toughness, and skill on his defense, but his biggest weakness- his secondary- isn't exposed at all by Tzar who has no passing game to speak of. I think Tzar's team would be quite fun to watch, especially when the defense takes the field, but the offense will be so sad I don't know what would happen here. TOOG would win, barely of course, but something like 13-6. Also, I don't think Tzar would win that Pepsi challenge with my secondary. Yeah sure Krause had a lot of INTs and Green's a speedster, but Green got beat up by possession receivers regularly and the safeties there could definitely be beat. To argue one point on Tzar's team: He said that the game of football is offense, defense, and special teams, and as long as you win two out of the three, and the third one doesn't lose you the game, you're fine. Well, that offense would probably lose you a game, and Idiot Kicker's already proven he could do the same (see that Colts-Steelers game from 2005 for proof) all by himself, so there goes the special teams. Shame so many people voted against him, I would have liked to face off against this team.

Fokai over Gert T - I have to give Fokai a lot of credit here, since he took over a team midway through the draft and ended up putting together a killer team. That offense, especially with Bill Walsh as the coach, is ridiculous. Fokai took about three guys I was looking at- Walsh, Bruce, and Kellen Winslow so I can't fault that offense at all. The defense is pretty damn solid too, with just enough to get by Gert T's snorefest running the ball. Jerry Rice at his prime would be sick, but I don't think he would do as well with this offense as he would with the 80's Niners. Fokai would get a pretty solid win here, 28-13 or so.

A lot of tough picks, but here goes…

EHME over Smartly Pretty-I like Smartly’s defense a little better but I like EHME’s offense a lot better with Brown and Watters running behind a very good O-line and McNabb’s ability to make plays with his feet.

VX over Brooklyn Zoo-I think the munber of dynamic players on VX’s defense will make the difference. Faulk will be huge in this game.

Harley over CC-I could see this game being a shootout of sorts. I think Harley’s pass defense will fare a little better than CC’s, which gives him the edge. Both special teams are capable of making big plays so that could tilt things in CC’s favor but I’ll still stick with Harley .

Just John over 909-On the other hand, this should be more of a smash mouth type of game. Hard to go against Montana but I just think that John’s defense is better.

Bored over jwest-Like a couple others said before, I’m not thrilled with the offenses, so I think a big play or two will be the difference here. Bored has Moss on one side of the ball and LT on the other so I’m going with his team.

TOOG over Tzar-Tzar defense is very stout, but like any other D, it can be had and I think TOOG has the offensive players to score enough points. Tzar looks like he should have a solid run game, but I don’t think Vick will be able to pass the ball effectively enough to win.

Gert over Fokai-I love Fokai’s offense but Gert also has an offense full of playmakers. I think Gert’s back 7 on defense gives him the edge. Probably another high-scoring affair here.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Well, it was a noble experiment. I'm still not sure how bad my offense is, considering I have a HOF running back, end, and center, two of the best pure athletes to ever play football, bookend multiple pro bowl tackles, and a couple solid lunchpail All pro/All AFL guards.

Idiot Kicker is the only Idiot Kicker to ever go an entire season without missing a single kick. It's not statistically possible to be better than that.

Well, it was a noble experiment. I'm still not sure how bad my offense is, considering I have a HOF running back, end, and center, two of the best pure athletes to ever play football, bookend multiple pro bowl tackles, and a couple solid lunchpail All pro/All AFL guards.

Idiot Kicker is the only Idiot Kicker to ever go an entire season without missing a single kick. It's not statistically possible to be better than that.

I think my big issue with your offense is that you have absolutely no passing game. Michael Vick can run... and pass decently in the modern era with pass happy rules. You think he'd survive a hit from a Jack Lambert when he was getting injured scrambling nowadays?

Also you'd be relying on solid pass catching (but slow) targets in Ben Coates and Billy Cannon. All a defense would need to do would be to stack 7 in the box (Maybe bring the WLB and SLB up to the line of scrimmage and leave MLB in zone coverage) to shut down your run game/take out your TEs and go man with safety help to cover Hewitt.