TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

The NFL All-Time Draft

I use whatif a lot and I'd imagine it probably is the statistics thing since every other sport (hockey, basketball, baseball) allows you to the draft the entire roster. Plus in the NFL sim you have to draft a full offense (around 15-18 spots) so it is weird they don't do a full defense.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm calling it. All active participants have voted, as have a few others, and the margins are rather large. Here's the semifinals!

SEMIFINALS!

Vitamin X

Kahran Ramsus

Gert T

Guest Vitamin X

Kahran Ramsus. If for no other reason that I've voted against Gert this whole tournament. The coaching is about equal, but of note is where the matchups are. I'd say Gert has the better front seven, but Kahran's line, not to mention the tough running of Walter Peyton AND Jim Taylor (awesome backfield combination, by the way) can more than handle that. I'd give Kahran the edge with the passing defense as well; I'm not buying Len Dawson as a quarterback this late in the playoffs with a Paul Brown offense, I think Fran can keep up with the scoring a lot better, and he has the weapons to get it done, while I'm only seeing in-his-prime Jerry Rice on Gert's team (passing-wise; obviously I think O.J. and Thurman would be tremendous threats as well running the ball) and I can see Kahran shutting that down. This would be either a blowout and or kind of a boring game, but I think Kahran gets the win and goes on to the TSM Bowl.

This is a good round. 909 and myself focused a lot on more modern era players, like the 80's and 90's and the other guys are doing a good old-school smashmouth contest.

Vitamin X - More ability to make big plays on both sides of the ball.

Kahran Ramsus - Backfield is just way too much for Gert to keep up with.

These were the two teams I saw meeting in the final all along.

909 - Ground and pound attack with Earl Campbell limits the need to pass into that secondary, and in a close game if it's Montana vs. Favre... Who are you counting on to make the right plays?

Kahran - The rushing attack with Payton should be enough to control the pace and avoid a shoot out against Gert's high-powered offense.

Guest Vitamin X
909, because VX, dude, his name is Walter Payton, man.

I know, it's really something when Aaron Rogers took over from Bret Farve.

909 - This is... for all intents and purposes, a coin flip pick (not literally though almost). I favored 909 partly because his offensive line (best drafted IMO) along with Joe's nimbleness to avoid the rush for the 2 extra seconds and still throw an accurate pass. Favre's prone to interceptions and 909's group of linebackers aren't slouches at coverage so I think relying on Favre's arm would hurt more than help. Not to mention 909 has underrated help blocking against the blitz with Keith Jackson and Alstott.

This was a lot closer than my writeup may have indicated. I'd picture this as a 34-23 game where VX's team looks strong but the 4th quarter is where 909 pulls away.

Gert T - I picture this as a 21-17 slugfest but having Mel Gray as a return man and the tandem of Dawson/Rice barely pushed Gert T ahead. I also think people are underrating the threat of O.J. Simpson as a running back (2,000+ yards people!) and Thurman Thomas a battery mate. I like the weapons more on Gert's offense (Witten is becoming Tony Gonzalez part II) and Ellard is the perfect possession guy to compliment Rice's big play ability. I think Gert's offense would keep him in the game and the special teams would just edge Kahran's team. Also Gert's linebacking core is really dangerous and his secondary can hold their own against Kahran's receivers/TE. It comes down to Gert's passing vs. Kahran's run game and I'll take Gert.

VX over 909-Both offenses are very good, but I like VX's defense better with versatile D-linemen and LB's plus a tough secondary. I'm not completely sold on 909's defense as a whole. Montana is a huge difference maker but I feel that VX has the better overall team.

Gert over Kahran-I really like the O.J./Thurman tandem at RB (somewhat similar to what I did with my team). I mentioned before that I wasn't thrilled with Dawson at QB, but he's still plenty good enough. The thing I'm really impressed with is Gert's LB's and secondary. Hard to go against Payton and a great O-line but I'm feeling Gert's team a little more right now.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

VX has the perfect defense to foil a west coast offense and a deep passing offense to take advantage of the soft spots on 909's defense. For the record, I hate this matchup because Favre and Montana are 1 and 1a on my list of talented players I can't stand. I think 909 should've been eliminated in the first round anyway.

Kahran vs Gert is an insanely difficult choice, but I have to go with Gert T. Both of these teams are as even as can be, but Gert's skills position guys are just a hair better, I think. This should've been the finals.

Sorry to be late to the party......

As much as I love the "I am voting against him if only because I have been" theory, I do vote for VX to win his semi-final matchup. Very even matchup. I like the versatlity of Faulk just a hair more over the brute force of Earl.

Draftbowl I

Vitamin X vs. Kahran Ramsus

Ooh... really tough.

It's all about the trenches and I think Kahran's offensive line has the advantage over Vitamin X's defensive line. I think the game comes down to the overall speed of Vitamin X's offense and the ability for VX to stop the running game.

I think Vitamin X takes this game for several reasons.

1: Faulk, Van Buren, Reed, and Clayton are all extremely quick and maybe too quick for the linebackers that Kahran has. Champ and Renfro are great secondary players but Lynch is a bit of a liability (never had more than 3 INT in a season). I don't think Tarkenton would have the accuracy (Best 64.2% at age 35) to consistently beat out Rod Woodson, Sammy Baugh, or Rodney Harrison deep and the linebackers would eventually start teeing off on the short slants and curls. If it became a passing shoot out, I think the edge would go to VX's team.

2: There's no doubt that Kahran could run on this team but remember that Woodson & Harrison are essentially "extra linebackers" but able to play coverage. I could see VX playing 7-8 man fronts and just daring Tarkenton to beat him with his arm, which could lead to a high amount of interceptions or a really strong blitz pass rush (6 blockers vs. 6/7 rushers) and VX has the secondary to play man to man coverage. Kahran's O-Line is great but they are only five men and will often be blocking 4 D-Linemen and maybe 1-2 LB.

3: VX can run the ball too and has an underrated offensive line. I think VX can have success passing the ball just enough to be able to set up draws/counters/traps to get Faulk & Van Buren into space away from the middle of the line (Pat Williams) and to the opposite side of Leslie O'Neal.

Final Score: Vitamin X wins 24-16.

I'll go with VX here. Kahran has Payton plus a great O-line, but I think VX's linebackers and secondary are really tough and I'm a little skeptical of Kahran's passing attack. I think VX's offense is more dynamic (although you have to be wary of a potential Favre meltdown) and should perform well against Kahran's defense, which is very good, but not the best out there.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Kahran, and not close.

VX predicates his entire gameplan around big plays, and Kahran is the perfect foil. Tarkenton is mobile enough to stay on his feet while someone gets open on that tough secondary, and his backfield duo can wreck about anybody in the draft. Payton's not going to get stood up and have the ball raked out of his hands. Kahran's defense forces plays to the outside and would get great penetration on X's small, agile line. Penetration is the enemy of a fast slashy back.

There's no way Favre's going mistake free against a good press and more than capable secondary.

Final score would be 13-3 or something similar.

Kahran Ramsus - I think his team is overall better.

Care to expand on that?

His offense is too much for your defense. He has a huge offensive line with an amazing play maker like Walter Payton, and a smart desicion maker like Fran Tarkenton. I feel his defense will put a lot of pressure on Favre forcing him to make mistakes at costly times. I just feel his team matches up good against yours.

I hate to vote against either of these guys, because I really like both their teams, but if I have to pick one, I'd go for Kahran Ramsus. I think he has a slightly larger edge on offence than VX. I'm also not completely sold on Brett Favre against such a solid defence.

Since the second round, I've been saying pounding the football is the best way to avoid VX's biggest strength. No reason that wouldn't apply here with Payton and possibly the best O-line drafted. I feel kinda bad for VX for having to be the runner-up in this and the basketball draft, but I can't in good conscience vote against KR here.

Guest Vitamin X

I have no shame losing to a fellow Packers fan who composed a really good old-school team.

And I wasn't the runner up in the NBA Draft, I don't think, I think I lost in the semis to Gert.

EDIT: OH, but I was the 2nd leading vote getter there too, to 909. Yeah that's pretty crazy.

gm-snoopy_sm.jpg

Kahran because he has the best player (draft order matters at times!), and because he stuck to his guns and solidified his OLine early. I think I told im early on my plan was to have my OLine drafted by Round 10, yet I would wuss out when there would be a run on certain positions.

Both good teams, but I vote for Kahran to win this thing.

BTW, this and the NBA Draft is the most fun I have had here at TSM. I can remember taking notebooks to school for the NBA Draft to ponder possibilities as well as thinking about if the 11th round was too early to draft Charles Haley while cutting grass.

I hope there's at least another NBA one, since I didn't get in on the first one.

The NFL one has left a bad taste in my mouth, but I would be interested to try again with a completely different team design strategy.

Kahran because he has the best player (draft order matters at times!), and because he stuck to his guns and solidified his OLine early. I think I told im early on my plan was to have my OLine drafted by Round 10, yet I would wuss out when there would be a run on certain positions.

I seem to remember that now. Once I got Payton, I knew my best strategy would be to produce a dominant running game to grind out the clock. The best way to beat high powered offenses is to make sure they are sitting on the sidelines all day. Play to your strengths. I also tried to avoid any glaring weakness. I would have gone in a completely different direction had I gotten Rice.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm actually really surprised 909 didn't win or at least get to the championship round here. I'm pretty happy to see where I ended up, though.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I intend to make this a yearly deal. Even though I lost in the first round, making that team was a good time.

Since we have all these rosters and shit, anyone up for a couple of exhibition games?

I'm curious to see who you guys would pick between me and Harley.