TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Aronofsky's "The Wrestler"

Can someone please explain to me how Mickey Rourke working with the WWE could hurt his oscar chances?

I thought it was established that the drug deal took place in a gym lockerroom and not at a wrestling event.

Also...Sean Penn won the best actor at the SAG awards last night...since the guild voters are more the same in the academy than the Globes are...Penn is the frontrunner now.

Can someone please explain to me how Mickey Rourke working with the WWE could hurt his oscar chances?

Because being involved with WWE just looks really tacky and silly, and they may give it to Penn because of that.

Langella get the Best Actor award. If not, it's Rourke's.

No one cares about Frost/Nixon at this point. It's Penn or Rourke.

I know. But I just can't see it getting shutout of all the major awards if Slumdog pulls best picture. They've done stranger things. Although I've got this nagging feeling that Button is actually going to get that stupid Best Picture award instead of Slumdog...which should have all of the momentum.

Fun fact: The last time the Best Actor winner at the SAGs did not match up with the Oscars, was when Johnny Depp won over....Sean Penn in 2003.

Slumdog has all the momentum right now, yet it hasn't suffered a backlash like so many other frontrunners do. I really can't see anything derailing its chances. Button didn't get great reviews, Milk is gay, no one cares about Frost/Nixon and The Reader doesn't exist.

Because being involved with WWE just looks really tacky and silly, and they may give it to Penn because of that.

Yeah. I was thinking/wondering if his involvement with WWE is just Rourke himself. Or are Aronofsky and the studio behind it too? I have a feel it's just Mickey being Mickey with this one.

Vince is such a fucking tool. First the movie exposes the business too much

That's not why he hated the movie. He hates anything that makes wrestling look negative.

Oh yeah. Good point. I keep confusing the things that Vince gets pissed off about.. since there're so many. In this case I think I was thinking of his recent blow-up about Hogan's CCW.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=99825912

"The Wrestler" director Darren Aronofsky (pictured at right) recently sat down for an interview with NPR and had the following to say concerning Vince McMahon's reaction to the film: "Vince McMahon saw the film and he called both me and Mickey (Rourke) and he was really, really touched by it. It happened a week ago. We were very nervous wondering what he would think, but he really, really felt the film was special. Having his support meant a lot to us, especially Mickey." The entire interview can be heard at NPR.org.

Just found that at one of the wrestling news sites thats bombards me on myspace with bulletins.

Oh dear God...this angle's on Larry King Live

I must say, I bet Jericho loves this idea, he's gonna get so much publicity, Rourke...well enjoy the Golden Globe, I get the feeling they were gonna give Penn his 2nd Oscar anyway.

Should we create a separate "Wrestler" thread in the WWE folder relating to this angle and leave this thread to discussing the film?

EDIT: It's fun to read some of the comments on Larry's live blog, most people actually think Jericho is genuinly upset and think he has poor taste. It's so weird how non-wrestling fans are quick to make cries of 'it's fake' and yet think anytime these guys speak in public in character, they're being real lol.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=99825912

"The Wrestler" director Darren Aronofsky (pictured at right) recently sat down for an interview with NPR and had the following to say concerning Vince McMahon's reaction to the film: "Vince McMahon saw the film and he called both me and Mickey (Rourke) and he was really, really touched by it. It happened a week ago. We were very nervous wondering what he would think, but he really, really felt the film was special. Having his support meant a lot to us, especially Mickey." The entire interview can be heard at NPR.org.

Just found that at one of the wrestling news sites thats bombards me on myspace with bulletins.

Interesting. So either the initial reaction Vince had was untrue? Or they're in spin mode now since they're going to make some money off of eachother? Which is it America? You decide! :P

Bob did you see the Larry King Live segment?

People wondering at how being involved with WWE could hurt Rourke, look at how 'Norbit' hurt Eddie Murphy a couple of years back. The Academy is very fickle with the image of people it gives Oscars too (especially for a guy like Murphy - or Rourke - who is not really a traditional Oscars guy).

Rourke getting involved with the WWE is pretty dumb and will definatley cost him the Oscar if he doesn't keep quiet about it. Doing a worked angle with the WWE cheapens the integrity of the movie and the role Rourke played. How is someone who helped depict the scummy world of pro wrestling actually going to embrace the very thing that was portrayed as life threatening? This is a foolish move on Rourke's part but hey, maybe the awards don't mean much to him.

Jericho was actually pretty spot on with his comments Monday where he said "there's a big difference between playing a wrestling in a movie and actually being one."

Well..he could always pull the "still in character" thing since Ram would fully embrace the scummy upper rung of the world no matter how life threatening.

Hang on, is Rouke gonna be portraying his "Ram" gimmmick?

I was about to say "aw come on, that'd be too retarded even for them"... until I remembered that they've done exactly that in the past. Samuel L. Jackson showed up in character as Shaft in a Crash Holly skit a few years back. And anyone who saw it will never forget the agony of all those Naked Gun skits with Leslie Neilsen searching for the Undertaker. But still, nah, I don't think that they'd actually have Rourke come out claiming to literally be Randy The Ram, though they might work aspects of that character into the angle in a worky-shooty kind of way.

You know, I really don't like the way Rourke looks right now. As 'The Ram' with the long blonde hair, he looked the part. Now? He looks like a broken down actor, especially when you put him face to face with Jericho.

Funny thing gnawing at me having seen the film, in The Ram's first match, doesn't he win a title? I seem to recall the promoter saying during the pep talk that the main event was a title match.

I think he was defending the title, at least that was my thought while watching the film, as I had the same idea when watching.

I'd assume he was wrestling for a little indy promotion, and because he was such a big name, they kept the world title on him all the time he was in the area.