TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

NFL Week 3

I think Matt Stafford is more likely to go pro after his junior year than Tebow. This might be wishful thinking on my part, but I think Tebow likes being at Florida so much that he'll stay for the full four years. And all that draft stuff and OTAs can be time-consuming. Those Filipino kids aren't going to circumcise themselves.

...or are they?

Guest Vitamin X

I think you're probably right. The Tebow family likes to emphasize how much football is a secondary thing to an education and religion and all that. I think Tim might try to set the good old "shining example" and stay for his senior year, but seeing how the Chiefs are going, they may still be in the running for #1 overall in 2010, anyways.

Speaking of which, Herm Edwards: gone after the season or no?

1. I'm setting the over/under on sacks at 4 in the Bengals/Giants game. Pick one.

Over. As mentioned, Carson Palmer must be hating life. One moment, he was the leader of a promising team looking to dominate the AFC North for a while. Than, wham, knee injury, knocked out of the playoffs, and that's that. Now he's just getting knocked around and has no hope to make the playoffs any time soon again. I wonder if he'll be out of Cincy when his contract's up, or before.

2. Can Houston capitalize on Kerry Collins being a stationary suckass and tee off?

No, probably not. Collins isn't THAT bad; he certainly won't lose you a game, but he won't win you one either. He's in that same Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer mold, and Houston probably doesn't have enough strength in their front seven to break through that line often.

3. Can Miami generate enough pass rush to shake Cassel, and continue their history of playing New England tough when totally outgunned?

Miami's greatest problem actually lies with their receiving, from what I saw in their first game against the Jets. They have Chad Pennington, aaand that's about it for their offense. I think they could generate A pass rush, but not a good enough one to shake Cassel and beat the Patriots. I'd love to see them do it, though.

4. Will Tampa and Chicago combined score more points than either New Orleans or Denver?

Haha, no.

5. Is Minnesota being hot shit going to be the worst fucking preseason pick in the world, facing a must-win against a good Carolina team?

I'm still not sold on the Panthers, but Carolina has STEVE SMITH back so they might have their hands even more full here then they would normally. I do wish that people would've quit knocking on Jake Delhomme, though- the guy IS a good quarterback, and just a few years ago they wanted to bring in David Carr or draft a quarterback to replace him? Come on. Even with Gus Frerotte, I don't think the Vikings might pull this out, but Carolina seems to be the least talented team offensively that they've faced, so they may have a shot. I think the better question here is if this is a must win for Minnesota. If the Packers and Bears win this weekend, that drops Minnesota to 3 games back already with a divisional loss and another loss against a team they may have to fight for a wildcard later on this year. That would definitely put them in a hell of a tough spot.

As mentioned previously, Herm Edwards will likely not be fired because the bar was set low for this season. They're rebuilding. Lane Kiffin (obviously), Rod Marinelli, Scott Linehan, and Marvin Lewis will probably not be so lucky.

Joey Galloway is likely out for the Bucs this Sunday. Contrary to popular belief, this is probably not a bad thing. He's been a total non-factor thus far this season and Bucs Nation is curious to see what Antonio Bryant can do with more opportunites.

Oh, and Michael Clayton will also start. Not so optimistic there.

As mentioned previously, Herm Edwards will likely not be fired because the bar was set low for this season. They're rebuilding. Lane Kiffin (obviously), Rod Marinelli, Scott Linehan, and Marvin Lewis will probably not be so lucky.

Don't forget Romeo Crennel and Brad Childress either.

I don't get it, the Vikes have lost two close games one team went deep in the playoffs last year, and the other is two years removed from Super Bowl champs. Tarvaris isn't great, but I don't think Ferrotte is the answer either. I don't see how you can call the Vikings a bust, they've played close games against top teams and have been in it at the end each time.

Again I blame a lot of the struggles on the coaching staff, also they need to cut Shiancoe, that guy is a fucking joke.

Brad Childress is speaking and behaving like a man on the verge of being fired, so I'm going to assume that he knows something the rest of us don't. I mean, he's put together a pretty solid team there. They just need something...anything from the passing game and they're at least 1-1 right now.

You can give a lot of the credit for getting a good group together to the owner. He spent a lot of money to get the guys Childress wanted, but I think they have big issues in the play calling. The offense lacks any imagination and it's supposed to be a West Coast offense, but has almost no quick passing. If you can't win with the tools that this team has I think the blame goes to the head coach. It's like giving a Ferrari to a blind person.

All right, so maybe Childress goes if they have a bad year. But Romeo Crennel should be all right. Like Marvin Lewis, he inherited a team that had next to nothing going for it and built it into an underachiever. He'll get the benefit of the doubt for a couple more years.

They're playing against Tampa's defense, that's why.

I thought of naming Chase Daniel instead of Matt Stafford, but...look at where I live. That guy is a floppy-haired messiah around here.

If Brad Childress actually gets to stay on another season, I think Chase Daniel would be perfect for his offense. He is very mobile and he has good field vision and a good head on himself.

If I based my draft predictions on where I lived, then I guess I'd have said Mark Sanchez would have gone #1 overall.

Not really. Matt Stafford doesn't put up the impressive numbers that the other quarterbacks do. What makes him more impressive than Chase Daniel, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Pat White and others? Hell I think Bradford would get picked ahead of Stafford. Sanchez won't be a first rounder if he came out this year but he might be if he stayed on for his senior year, and get picked after Tebow.

Matt Stafford has a big arm and good pocket presence. He projects well as an NFL quarterback. Short of the bad Georgia season that I've requested from God but know isn't coming, he will be a top ten draft pick. Is he better than Chase Daniel? I don't know, I don't get paid to be an NFL scout. But some pro football team in Missouri will likely soon become intimately familiar with the name Matthew Stafford.

My magic five discussion questions of the week:

1. I'm setting the over/under on sacks at 4 in the Bengals/Giants game. Pick one.

I'd double that.

2. Can Houston capitalize on Kerry Collins being a stationary suckass and tee off?

I think so. I'm stubbornly sticking to the belief that the Texans are eventually going to be good.

3. Can Miami generate enough pass rush to shake Cassel, and continue their history of playing New England tough when totally outgunned?

Those Miami Ds had Jason Taylor and Zack Thomas. This one doesn't.

4. Will Tampa and Chicago combined score more points than either New Orleans or Denver?

No, because Tampa and Chicago actually have something of a defense.

5. Is Minnesota being hot shit going to be the worst fucking preseason pick in the world, facing a must-win against a good Carolina team?

Minny's defense was feisty against Indianapolis. If they can get ANY production from the QB spot (even the fabled "game-managing" performance), they'll be good.

Edited by KingPK

Guest Vitamin X
Apparently Tyler Thigpen is starting at QB this week for the Chiefs.

...who?

thigpen.jpg

This guy.

Matt Stafford has a big arm and good pocket presence. He projects well as an NFL quarterback. Short of the bad Georgia season that I've requested from God but know isn't coming, he will be a top ten draft pick. Is he better than Chase Daniel? I don't know, I don't get paid to be an NFL scout. But some pro football team in Missouri will likely soon become intimately familiar with the name Matthew Stafford.

Oh I don't question that Stafford is a top ten pick. He is a top 3 QB available coming out, and I'm pretty sure there will be at least two teams in the top 10 spots that'd need a quarterback. My contention is Stafford isn't a #1 overall pick. Neither is Sanchez, just to clarify that. Considering Chase Daniel was a strong Heisman candidate last season and he seems to have gotten even better this season thus far, I don't see why Daniel couldn't be the first quarterback taken. Don't forget, there WILL be people claiming that Georgia is where they are because of Moreno, not Stafford. It'd be harder to argue against Daniel's part in Missouri's success, because the only other guy that can claim responsibility is the guy catching Daniel's passes. I suppose with Herm Edwards, Stafford would make a better piece in his offense whereas Daniel would be more suited for a team like Minnesota, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kansas City wanted the local star.

All in all, this is a silly debate.

Oh I don't question that Stafford is a top ten pick. He is a top 3 QB available coming out, and I'm pretty sure there will be at least two teams in the top 10 spots that'd need a quarterback. My contention is Stafford isn't a #1 overall pick. Neither is Sanchez, just to clarify that. Considering Chase Daniel was a strong Heisman candidate last season and he seems to have gotten even better this season thus far, I don't see why Daniel couldn't be the first quarterback taken. Don't forget, there WILL be people claiming that Georgia is where they are because of Moreno, not Stafford. It'd be harder to argue against Daniel's part in Missouri's success, because the only other guy that can claim responsibility is the guy catching Daniel's passes. I suppose with Herm Edwards, Stafford would make a better piece in his offense whereas Daniel would be more suited for a team like Minnesota, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kansas City wanted the local star.

All in all, this is a silly debate.

Two common complaints you'll probably hear:

1. Doesn't have the "measurables" (particularly his 6 foot frame).

2. Didn't play in a "traditional pro-style offense".

Right, MFer hit on the head. Stafford is physically what pro scouts are looking for. I mean, I hate Georgia, so it's not like I'm sticking up for this guy out of loyalty or homerism or anything. It just is what it is.

I'll go under at 3, just for the sake of argument. Maybe the Bengals give up early and just run the ball a lot.

Yes they are going to sack him, but the Titans don't need a sack-free performance to beat the distracted Texans.

They'll get a pass rush but it won't shake him. If coming off the bench to replace a former MVP didn't rattle him I somehow doubt anything the Dolphins can muster will do the trick.

I doubt it. Denver's been putting up points in droves lately, I can't remember how New Orleans has done. I think Denver's got one more shootout in them for the early part of the season.

Indeed it will. Carolina held Forte and Tomlinson under 100, and while I'm not going to outright predict they do the same to Peterson I will say that if they can pull off a win in San Diego against Rivers & Tomlinson without Steve Smith, then they can beat a weaker defensive team led by Peterson and...."Gunslingin" Gus Frerotte with Smith back in the lineup.

Early Games (1:15pm EDT)

KC @ ATL: Oh man what a truly hideous game. This could be worth seeing for how bad it will be. I'll take the Falcons by 10.

OAK @ BUF: Wow, who would have thought the Bills could be 3-0? Buffalo by 11.

CIN @ NYG: You want another Giants beatdown? Here it is vs. the hopeless Bengals. NYG by 17.

MIA @ NE: Man, the Pats don't seem to play anyone. Let's see them against someone decent to see what Cassel can actually do. NE by 7.

HOU @ TEN: Curious game, no idea what to make of the Texans right now. I'll go with the Titans by 6.

TB @ CHI: Griese going back to Chicago....I'll take the Bears by 3, but it is a total tossup.

ARI @ WAS: Another interesting tossup game, but for whatever reason I think the Cardinals are pretty solid. Zona by 4.

CAR @ MIN: Could it be the magic of Gus Frerotte that leads the Vikings to a win? This is a must win, so I'll take the Vikings by 2.

Late Afternoon Games (4:15pm EDT)

NO @ DEN: Denver is doing well so far and conveniently have this one at home. Should be a fun and exciting game. Denver 38-35.

DET @ SF: I have no idea about this one since both teams are crap. Since it's at SF, I'll take the Niners by 6.

STL @ SEA: Seahawks are 0-2 but they almost have to win this one since the Rams are one of the worst teams in the league. Seattle by 8.

PIT @ PHI: Great game here. Can't see the Eagles having much in the tank after Monday, so I think the Steelers sneak in and steal this one. Steelers by 1.

CLE @ BAL: I don't really buy the Ravens and the Browns really need a win. I'll take the Browns by 7.

JAX @ IND: A must win for the Jags, but will they? Uh...no. Colts in another brawl 17-14.

Sunday Night Football (8:15pm EDT on NBC)

Dallas Cowboys @ Green Bay Packers: I think the Packers might have beaten Dallas last year if Rodgers had played the entire game, we'll see if he can do it now at home. GB by 4, since Dallas (much like Philly) will be a bit out of it after the crazy MNF game.

Monday Night Football (8:30 EDT on ESPN)

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers: Chargers absolutely must win this one. Sorry Brett, can't see this one happening. SD by 7.

KC @ ATL

OAK @ BUF

CIN @ NYG

MIA @ NE

HOU @ TEN

TB @ CHI

ARI @ WAS

CAR @ MIN

NO @ DEN

DET @ SF

STL @ SEA

PIT @ PHI