TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Matt Millen finally fired.

THANK YOU Bill Ford Jr., cuz he was the only guy that had the sense to speak out against him (although he had a hand in hiring him in the first place... <_< ). Just as long as Millen's gone though, a blind monkey could've done better than that fool. Millen's final record (unless you count the rest of this season)...31-84.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

You guys can go ahead and use all of my Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire photos of joy.

Matt Millen, Isiah Thomas and Bill Bavasi all get canned in the same year. Is the era of horrible front office decisions coming to a close...

Probably not, but still, this is fantastic news. Detroit deserves so much better.

Holy shit.

Seriously, I'm absolutely speechless. I can't believe Bill Jr would be the straw to break the camel's back.

I still can't believe this.

Matt Millen must have had compromising pictures of the Ford family involving RuPaul and a vat of chocolate pudding. That is the only rational explanation I can give that Millen kept his job as long as he did.

Seriously though...before Millen went to the front office I thought he was the best color commentator in sports. When he and Howard David did the CBS Radio MNF broadcasts I would turn the TV down and turn the radio up to listen to them. I see Millen being back in the broadcast booth by next year. His brutal honesty and candor, traits that got him in trouble in the front office, will be perfect for him in the booth.

yeah, we've been waiting on this a long time here. I hate when blind loyalty keeps you from doing something you're supposed to. Dude should have been fired forever ago. The Tigers suck, but people here still like them. People have grown to hate the Lions under Matt Millen

It doesn't hurt that the Tigers also made the World Series 2 years ago and at least had a winning record last year. But the Lions? They are just one of those loser organizations in sports. Even with Barry Sanders they never did much of anything aside from an NFC title game appearance when the Redskins destroyed them.

Millen sucked of course but doesn't the Ford ownership need to take some of the blame here? At some level Ford Sr. okayed all of this goofy stuff like drafting WRs every year or dubious coaching hires.

Of course the Fords should take the blame.

And before you start heralding Ford Jr. as the savior of the Lions, you should take a good look at how Ford Motor Company is doing.

This is one step in the right direction after so many steps in the wrong direction for the Lions. This team has provided me with a constant source of amusement since 1993, when my roommate revealed herself to be a huge Lions fan. That mirth has increased exponentially since I moved up here and listening to the overwhelming majority of Detroit fans on the radio eat the cornbread that the Fords have been serving... they get angrier and angrier with each loss during the season, building to a crescendo as they go with double digit losses for the season, with them swearing off the team at the end, only to get fired up again for the upcoming draft, watch them get pissed off (the level is only behind Jets and Eagles fans) when the team drafts the wrong players and goes for flash (wide receivers) instead of substance (offensive and defensive line), and then grumbles through the spring months, only to get right back in line for tickets once training camp starts.

Its the funniest thing I have ever seen in my 39 years of existence. The only thing is that I have seen more and more people in the last two or three years swear off the Lions and mean it because of the overwhelming level of ineptitude in the front office.

For the sake of the city and nothing else, I hope and pray things get better.

I don't think we have much choice but to believe in Jr. Sure, he had a hand in hiring Millen in the first place, but at least he realized his mistake and wanted him gone 2-3 years ago (but couldn't because of old man Sr.'s love affair with Millen). The Lions just need to find a way to get a competent GM in place and then they might have a chance. One thing I do agree on (and many Lions' fans would concur) is that William Clay Ford Sr. should be taking more heat for this mess. He's the one that's been there for over 40 years and the Lions only have 1 playoff win to show for it.