TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

2008 NLCS: Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Philadelphia Phillies

Well, the Cubs won 97 games in the regular season. And how many did they win in the postseason against those 84 win Dodgers? None. So, by your claims, the Cubs are a worse team than the Dodgers.

No, I'm saying they're an inferior team to the Phillies and they looked like it for the first third of this game. I don't deny the Cubs shit the bed in the NLDS, but you can't argue that LA is truly better than them or Philly. And I'll retain that view, even if the Dodgers get to the World Series.

Well, the Cubs won 97 games in the regular season. And how many did they win in the postseason against those 84 win Dodgers? None. So, by your claims, the Cubs are a worse team than the Dodgers.

Haven't we learned many times over that anything can happen in a short post-season series? Good teams are defined by their regular season success.

And just to kill the issue before it snowballs, I'm not saying the Dodgers are a bad team. They're not. But they're not really that good. They're hot right now and truthfully, that's all that matters at this point. But let's not fool ourselves and act like they aren't here because they played in an awful division where the only realistic competition had been on a downward spiral since May.

The Dodgers may not recover from Lowe's one bad inning in game 1. They were cruising towards a win but then it fell apart.

For all the talk about Manny the Dodgers overall haven't been THAT much better with him. Didn't they show a graphic saying the Dodgers were 54-54 before the trade and they finished 84-78. Good enough to win a terrible division, but they wouldn't have even gotten near the playoffs in any other division.

It's easier for the media and talking heads to exaggerate Manny's importance and Torre's genius. Make no mistake, Manny was the reason they won the division, but they were still an 84-win team.

The Dodgers went 17-8 in September. Of course, the Phillies had the exact same record so whatever advantage the Dodgers had from being "hot" went completely out the window.

Announcers last night harped on teams winning without the benefit of the home run. As if scoring runs without doing it via the most effective manner is a sign of moral character or something. I took at look at ten teams. There is a very strong connection between runs and runs scored via home run, and a smaller but significant correlation between scoring runs and percentage scored via home runs. Hitting home runs is a good offensive strategy, no matter how sexy smallball sounds this week.

That of course assumes you're not just bailing and wailing.

Dodgers are fucking lucky they faced Jamie Molasses. Some of their RBI hits barely found the hole and weren't hit hard, and the Phillies hard hit balls are right at players. Games like this piss me off when we could be winning.

What a genius that Joe Torre. Better save the closer for the technical save situation instead of the late-inning scenario where the possibility of that save situation is actually on the line.

I'll always have a soft spot for Matt Stairs as he was part of the A's when they started to turn things around in '99 and it was always fun to watch him hit as the guy just puts everything into every swing. That was a BOMB.

Honestly, this is the Dodger team I have been expecting since the playoffs started. The team has struggled generating offense at times and leaving runners on base, had gotten better with Blake and Manny, but the core of the team at the beginning of the year has stunk swinging the bats especially with runners in scoring postion.

3-1, is a big hole to climb and I do not expect the Dodgers to pull it off, but this was the same team who lost eight in a row then won eight in a row in August/September, so as a fan I'm not going to give up until the last out is recorded on Wednesday.

If we lose, I can't really get too bummed out about it. This team for all intents and purposes swang from decent to dogshit all season until we got Manny. I have never seen the Dodgers go to the NLCS (I was 2 going on 3 in 1988) in my sports viewing lifetime, so making this far was pretty cool. This season has had such high peaks and low valleys and to only win 84 games and make it this far in the playoffs, playing with house money is extremely gratifying and I hope we sign Manny to whatever the fuck he wants because its not everyday you get to watch one of the greatest hitters of our lifetimes play ball in your backyard.

Good win for the Phillies. At this point I hope they just finish this since they are at least a credible team to make the World Series.

Shall we get Philly vs. Tampa and have the lowest ratings in World Series history.....or perhaps Philly vs. Boston in a rematch of the 1915 World Series?

It's stupid to want to see Phillies win just because the Dodgers had 84 wins. They won the division. That's credibility right there. It's better than seeing many wildcard teams make the World Series in the past.

How is it "better?" Many Wild Card teams have had more than 84 wins entering the post-season, including this year's NL Wild Card winners.

People that crap on the Wild Card are ridiculous.