TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thoth

TSM 2nd Annual Wii Secret Santa

Last year, we did a secret santa. And it was good. So we are doing it again this year.

Here are the rules:

If you want to participate, you will post here saying so. I will update this first post with the list of participants. The cutoff date is December 17th. Shortly after, I will use my advanced computer programming skills (random number generator) to decide who is matched with who, and PM the appropriate people as to whom they are buying for.

In order to participate, you will need to post:

Your Country where your Wii is

Your Wii Number (if it is not already in the Wii Numbers thread)

Any games you would prefer not to recieve

You will only be matched up with people in your same country. This is due to Nintendo's restrictions on gift-giving.

You will purchase one, and only one, title, from either WiiWare or Virtual Console for your recipient. There is no cost limit to what you may purchase, though, nor should you take into account whether the game takes up too much space.

There are, however, a list of games that should not be gifted. Smues has already stated that there will be consequences for giving a game on this list. I also encourage you to post any games you think should be universally banned.

Finally, Xbox 360 and PS3 are not included as the 360 does not have a decent gift-giving ability (I bet you didn't know it even HAS one to begin with), and I am unsure of the PS3's ability to do so.

Current Participants:

United States

Thoth (Does not want Mega Man 1, 2, or 3, no games found in the Sega Genesis Collection or Sonic Mega Collection Plus)

Smues

Canada

DrVenkman PhD (Does not want Mega Man 1, 2, or 3, and no games found in the Sega Genesis Collection or Sonic Mega Collection Plus)

Banned Games:

Urban Champion

Guest Smues

I'm in.

U.S.

My number should be in the number thread, but when I'm home sometime I'll post it in here just to be nice.

This was fairly fun last year, and with the addition of WiiWare and another year of the library expanding there's tons of variety on what to give people.

You suck. Urban Champion is greatness.

It is the arrangement of this particular event, and by mod request, that Urban Champion is a bannable offense,

Canada, and my number SHOULD be in the thread (I know I've received JaMii Noble and such from Spiff). No games that already exist on a collection I own (Mega Man, Sega Genesis Collection).

Edit: Ditto for Sonic collection, so my non-list is pretty much the same as Thoth's. Exactly the same, really. Though, I guess if Mega Man 2 is the American NES version and not the automatic "Hard Mode" version found on the MM Collection, it's a different game. Not different enough though.

I may take part, I'm just undecided at this point whether or not my Wii is going up on Ebay (it's less an anti-Nintendo thing than a I'm-freakin'-broke thing). Taking part may help my grinchiness.

Guest Smues

Ok so I'm lazy and this took awhile. wii number is 7771 9426 4905 7166.

Not that it'll really matter if no one else signs up, but hey Thoth I'll do it if it's just 2 or 3 of us! It'll just be the un-secret Santa!

Good lord, I guess everyone sold their Wii's or got banned.

If no one responds within a week, it is literally going to be me and Smues buying for each other.

I hate not to participate in this since I still have my Wii. This always seems like a fun idea, but I'll be at home for Christmas and won't be near my Wii, nor could I guarantee an Internet connection for it. Plus my struggling college student fund is always depleted at this time of the year. Sorry gang.

I hate not to participate in this since I still have my Wii. This always seems like a fun idea, but I'll be at home for Christmas and won't be near my Wii, nor could I guarantee an Internet connection for it. Plus my struggling college student fund is always depleted at this time of the year. Sorry gang.

That's why there's an 8 day span between the 17th and the 25th to buy the game; to take into account the fact that people, most likely, won't be near a Wii for Christmas. Although yeah, money is a big deal.

Right but Ill be leaving town before the end of the weekend.

Maybe we can do Wii-ster Baskets in March.

Given the exciting response to Secret Santa? I'll get right on it.

I could coax World's Worst Man into making an appearance just so I have another Canadian, but then he'd say "why do I even own a Wii?" and complain about the prices of things that he has as free roms, then he'd ask why we just didn't do this ourselves instead of bring TSM into it, then he'd say something negative about Chrono Trigger and Andrew just for fun, then Andrew would say "I still have him on ignore". Since my hypothetical best case scenario played out poorly, I won't pursue it.

I've pretty much had TSM "on ignore" anyway.

I feel sorry for perhaps-not-participating. It's not your fault the Wii sucks so hard these days, Thoth. However, potentially scalping a soccer mom for a console that's been mainly collecting dust for 8 months seems more worthwhile to me at this cash-strapped point than waiting for Mad World...and then whenever the next game I give a crap about comes out (No More Heroes 2?). I don't even know when that'll be.

Even 1up's Jeremy Parish is annoyed at how the Wii has been lately:

http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew/archiv...y_1025.php#comm

I'd hoped the Wii would serve as a bridge between the two, but honestly Nintendo has done a terrible job of it, transforming all but a handful of their longest-running franchises into neutered, pandering messes while they focus their time and money on catering to the retirement home crowd...High-end PS3 and Xbox 360 games aren't the future, and neither is the current, pathetic state of the Wii.

(Yeah, it isn't the focus of the article, but still. :P)

But...hey...Dragon Quest X! Maybe in 3 years or so when it comes out there might be a whopping 5 more new retail games worth playing on the Wii!

Even 1up's Jeremy Parish? 1up bitches about Nintendo on a daily basis!

I think most of the first-party Nintendo games for Wii next year look good. S&P2 is a must-buy, as is Punch-Out. I never played the original Trace Memory I liked Hotel Dusk which is from the same developer, so I'm interested in the Wii sequel. Dynamic Slash could be good. I never played the Earth Defense Force games but some like them, some don't. We'll have to see. Cosmic Walker has a really cool premise. I know nothing about Line Attack Heroes, but it's from the guy who created the Mana series. I know a lot of Mana fans don't like the way that series went near the end but this is a different genre, I think. Tact of Magic doesn't really interest me and I read it's developed by Taito, so bleh. Shouldn't Square Enix be publishing their games?

Even 1up's Jeremy Parish? 1up bitches about Nintendo on a daily basis!

Way to miss the entire point.

Parish is a longtime hardcore Nintendo supporter and was actually pushing for Miyamoto and co. to bundle Wii Sports as a pack-in game for the US market. Now, he isn't necessarily the reason they did it, but he's "gotten" Nintendo's Blue Ocean strategy and has defended it many times versus his own colleagues. Yet he's even getting disillusioned.

I think most of the first-party Nintendo games for Wii next year look good. S&P2 is a must-buy, as is Punch-Out. I never played the original Trace Memory I liked Hotel Dusk which is from the same developer, so I'm interested in the Wii sequel. Dynamic Slash could be good. I never played the Earth Defense Force games but some like them, some don't. We'll have to see. Cosmic Walker has a really cool premise. I know nothing about Line Attack Heroes, but it's from the guy who created the Mana series. I know a lot of Mana fans don't like the way that series went near the end but this is a different genre, I think. Tact of Magic doesn't really interest me and I read it's developed by Taito, so bleh. Shouldn't Square Enix be publishing their games?

Sin and Punishment 2 is a sequel to a huge bomb. Good game probably, but it's not going to make much of an impact.

Punch Out needs Wii Motion Plus, or it will be just as big a POS at Wii Boxing.

The rest of the titles you mentioned I haven't mustered enough care about to even know they exist.

The cutoff date has now come.

Secret Santa will consist of me and Smues giving gifts to each other.

...if we feel like it.

Guest Smues

I feel like it, so if you don't I'll have to gift myself, which I doubt you can do on the VC :angry:

Guest Smues

Thanks a lot Thoth, now I'll never get to play my Wii again. My wife is a Tetris whore and has been playing it pretty much nonstop since you gifted it. As such I'm going to have to declare this year's Secret Santana a roaring success and all those who did not participate are losers!

I'm just shocked the game I was gifted, Doctor Mario, is under 100 blocks, and thus, fits in what memory I have left.