TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

NFL Week 13

The NFL needs to do something about the "injured" player bullshit. Like 4-6 times "injured" Bronco players stopped the Jets from running a hurry up, halting two of their drives. Fuck that. And they didn't get penalized with a timeout. Anyone can fake an injury with that shit.

Welcome to when the Colts started using the no huddle.

Guest Czecherbear

Well, this was a pathetic showing. Bears were dead for the night after Lovie bungled 4th down and Tillman bungled 1st/10/->1. Minnesota's in the driver's seat of the AMC Pacer now.

So what is the objective for the balance of this season? The Bears can run the table and still miss the playoffs. They could tank the last four for draft position and still pick behind handfuls of awful 2008 teams. Where do we go from here.

Minnesota's in the driver's seat of the AMC Pacer now.

At least until they crash that and burn at Ford (more like Found On Road Dead, m i rite) Field next week

Guest Czecherbear

I can't believe that bald fuckhead had the chutzpah to say that the Bears dominated the first half. Yeah. I'll talk about my dominating fashion sense next time someone pulls down my pants in public. Lovie Logic.

And now to check the predictions for the week:

Tennessee @ Detroit: Bah to the Jets for ruining the epic undefeated vs. winless matchup. Ah well, the Titans will be really, really pissed off and Daunte Culpepper may not make it out alive. Tennessee by 21. (This was the expected squash. Next. 1 for 1)

Seattle @ Dallas: Cowboys look somewhat back on track against scrubs at least, and Seattle certainly qualifies as a scrub. Dallas by 14. (Another expected squash. Next. 2 for 2)

Arizona @ Philly: Okay, the Eagles are a complete debacle right now but yet for whatever reason I think McNabb rallies the troops for this one. Besides, the Cardinals suck when they travel east. Eagles by 4. (Instincts were right about the Eagles here and it wasn't even close. 3 for 3)

San Francisco @ Buffalo: I was wrong about the Bills last week, but not this week. It's also the notorious west coast team going east syndrome. Bills by 10. (Ugh, Edwards goes out again and the Niners get an ugly win. 3 for 4)

Carolina @ Green Bay: Carolina is done playing losers for the most part and they have yet to prove they can beat anyone decent on the road. Packers still qualify as decent...I guess. Green Bay by 7. (At this point I'm not sure the Packers qualify as decent, but still a solid win for the Panthers at Lambeau. 3 for 5)

Giants @ Washington: Not buying the Redskins at all, their record is better than it should be with that +2 differential. Giants by 9. (Giants beat them down from start to finish. 4 for 6)

Colts @ Browns: It's the usual deal here...the Colts cannot afford to lose this game. It might be the usual struggle since the Browns can play fairly well at times. Indy by 6. (Awful, awful game. Colts seem to struggle with the Browns for whatever reason. 5 for 7)

Ravens @ Bengals: Ravens look back on track and should keep it going here. This is another game where a contender can't afford to lose. In fact I think the Ravens win that division, given the Steelers' unreal schedule down the stretch. Ravens by 13. (This was a formality, Ravens need to keep winning to set up the showdown with the Steelers. 6 for 8)

Miami @ St. Louis: At this point playing the Rams is basically a bye week. Dolphins should get back on track and win this by 14. (Jackson was back so it was closer than expected, but the Dolpins yet again escape with the win. 7 for 9)

Saints @ Buccaneers: Somehow I doubt Brees will put up 300 yards and 4 TDs against the Tampa defense. Bucs also owe them one from the season opener. Tampa by 5. (Bucs got the expected payback in another close game. 8 for 10)

Atlanta @ San Diego: This is a really, really tough call. The Falcons are a great story but are also capable of puzzling losses (Denver). Chargers at this point are in 100% "We can't lose another game" mode. So with great hesitation I'll take SD by 3. (Okay Chargers, piss off. I'm done picking this team to win a critical game. Like the Falcons a lot, though even at 8-4 they might miss the playoffs. 8 for 11)

Pittsburgh @ New England: The Steelers have a frightening schedule from here on (after this they have Dallas, Baltimore, and Tennessee left). Cassel is now on a roll for the Pats and they should take this one at home. NE by 7. (I'll give it up for the Steelers. Bravo, that was a beatdown at Foxboro. 8 for 12)

KC @ Oakland: Oh lord, this is too good to be true. Tyler Thigpen has put up some nice numbers but the Chiefs can't buy a win. Raiders are coming off a beatdown of the Broncos, so they'll keep it going at home. Raiders by 10. (Thigpen didn't put the numbers this week, and now the Chiefs actually win the game. I dunno. 8 for 13)

Denver @ Jets: Denver is the most puzzling team in the league, one week looking great in beating the Falcons and then getting owned by Oakland. Can't see the Jets losing this one at home though. NYJ by 12. (Can anyone possibly explain the riddle wrapped in an enigma that is Denver? Or the Jets as well for that matter? 8 for 14)

Chicago @ Minnesota: Very tough game to call and the winner has a leg up in the division. Vikings are playing fairly well right now so when in doubt take the home team. Minnesota by 3. (Wasn't even a close game, Vikings are getting hot. 9 for 15)

Best hit of the year? Non-Pats fans can't tell me that you haven't wanted to see someone do that to Welker at some point over the last two seasons. Polamalu's reaction clinches it for me.

The Raiders let me down today. The Raiders pretty much let the Chiefs win by giving them that one touchdown the Chiefs got after that failed fake field goal. The Raiders should have won today. If they had just went for that two field goals instead of going for the fake field goal and the 3 years to gain a first down near the endzone, they could have at least could have made it 9 to 3 and could have sealed it with that one touchdown, but the team just played so sloppy.

Made me really disapointed.

Guest Vitamin X

I couldn't bring myself to watch the game tonight in full, but I did see that awesome 99 yard TD. On one hand, I loved watching the Bears get bitchsmacked around by the Vikings, but on the other hand, the most realistic shot the Packers would have in doing anything would've relied on the Bears winning tonight, and then winning at Soldier Field, but that point is moot now considering the outcome of what happened at Lambeau. I think looking at the results of Minnesota's schedule so far, they do deserve to win this shithole of a division but it makes me even more furious to consider what the division race would look like today had Mason Crosby's kick not sailed wide right a couple weeks ago.

In my opinion, this is the Giants' title to lose. They and the Titans are the only teams in the entire league that play with some semblance of consistency and in a head-to-head matchup -- wait, am I really about to say this? -- I'll take Eli Manning. The rest of the league is full of one-dimensional offenses, bad defenses and a bottom-rung of teams (Detroit, Cincy, KC, St. Louis, Seattle) that embarass themselves and whatever fanbases they have left at this point on a weekly basis.

While the Giants don't yet have enough hardware to be compared to the Patriots dynasty of the a few years ago, they are certainly making an early case that they will be the next potential dynasty the way they can just plug players into their system and they are instantly contributing and being effective.

As a Skins fan it kind of makes me sick that we draft two pretty good prospects at WR, and one can't get/stay healthy and the other can't "learn the offense" yet the Giants top WR doesn't play yet has whats-his-name #1 & #2 getting open all game long against a pretty stout secondary.

Guest Vitamin X
In my opinion, this is the Giants' title to lose. They and the Titans are the only teams in the entire league that play with some semblance of consistency and in a head-to-head matchup -- wait, am I really about to say this? -- I'll take Eli Manning. The rest of the league is full of one-dimensional offenses, bad defenses and a bottom-rung of teams (Detroit, Cincy, KC, St. Louis, Seattle) that embarass themselves and whatever fanbases they have left at this point on a weekly basis.

I agree. New York is the one team this year that's played dominantly, particularly in the NFC. Going by what's happened in previous years though, that's not necessarily a lock for going all the way and in fact, we haven't had a 1 seed versus 1 seed matchup in quite some time it seems.

The point differentials prove your point, too. Check out the top 6 teams in both conferences based on point differential:

NFC

NY Giants +146

Tampa Bay Bucs +80

Philadelphia Eagles (?!) +70

Atlanta Falcons +56

Carolina Panthers +54

(T)Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers +39

AFC

Tennessee Titans +129

Baltimore Ravens +102

Pittsburgh Steelers +99

New York Jets +72

New England Patriots +22

San Diego Chargers +16

Yikes.

Philadelphia Eagles (?!) +70

Yeah, I hate to be one of those guys... but when the experts broke down the Eagles stats this year... they should really be like a Top 5 team at #3 or #4 in the NFL with just how they look on paper. They're really one of the more mind boggling teams to come around in a long time when you just look at some of their stats at face value.

Frustrating year... like most of them since I'm a Charger and Eagles fan. Probably why I seek out individual players, coaches, etc. to do well. Fuck, also wanna see the historical teams that have been there do well, except for the Niners. Raider hate is nothing more than a fun divisional distraction, and now that they're looking to better, even in the short-term... it just got rekindled.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

All three real football teams in the North are still alive. Minnesota controls their own destiny, but they have the toughest road, and have pending issues with the Williams Wall and their possible suspension.

Their schedule:

@ DET. If the Lions are going to win a game, this might be it. I'm not betting on it at all, though, even if it is a divisional game on the road. A loss here would be a godsend for Chicago.

@ ARI. I'm still buying the Cards and think they'll win this game. Especially considering they're bad on the road, and will want home games in the playoffs.

vs. ATL. The Falcons will still be fighting for the wildcard. This could go either way, but I like Atlanta's chances. If they're on the outside looking in, I bet they'd like to play spoiler. No way I think the Vikings get through this game and the previous one without a loss. If they do, Crown Their Asses.

vs. NYG. Giants should have home field on ice and will be resting starters. This is a win.

The Packers have the easiest road left, but are in the biggest hole. They absolutely must win out to take the division.

vs. HOU. Texans suck. This should be a win.

@ JAC. Jacksonville should be playing for Del Rio's job here. Could go either way, but I favor the Packers slightly.

@ CHI. This is going to be the biggest game of the year for both teams. Whoever loses will be out.

vs. DET. If Detroit hasn't won yet, I think the Lions will win, just to spoil the 0-16 and make me hate the Packers even more.

Chicago is at home the next three weeks, which rules. JAC, NO, GB, and then @ HOU.

I think they'll beat Jacksonville. Not enough fast receiving threats to exploit the shitty defensive scheme. NO will be really really tough, and hopefully the weather is horrible and prohibitive to the passing game. The Green Bay game is everything. Houston should be a pushover, but I'm not holding my breath.

Very difficult to predict.

Guest Czecherbear

On Football Night they made it sound pretty much impossible that the Williamses would miss any game. If they're suspended, they'll file an injunction. This is like the hardest-fought suspension in league history. Geez.

And speaking of them, I'm sorry, but Lovie Smith is paid five million dollars to know better than to run it up the gut with a practice squad fullback against one of the most prohibitive run defenses in the league. Where was play action? A quarterback sneak? Off-tackle? Quick pass to a tight end? Inexcusable coaching.

To get back to the Pat Williams thing, I do this at the risk of being a THE LEAGUE!!!! goober, but there's something positively (as it were) odd about how protracted this whole thing has been. The fact that there's no fucking chance we see Postseason Purple Jesus without the Williams Wall seems to mean that Roger Goodell has gone from John Wayne to Barney Fife. You'd think the flaxen-haired swinging dick should've handled this by now, rightly or wrongly, as is his style.

Clark's hit on Welker was obviously going to draw a flag in the league this year, but if it was 2005 no one would have even thought twice about it being a legal hit. You can hit a receiver on a tipped ball and it's not like the play was long over before the hit. I think it's less than a second between the tip and the hit and no one had really stopped running yet except Polamalu because he knew exactly what happened to the ball. In the Colts game this year Clark gave up on a play on a tipped ball that turned into a Reggie Wayne TD, which I think may have factored in just as much as the "sending a message" idea. All "defenseless receiver" really means is that you didn't catch the ball. If the ball's there the hit's fine.

And speaking of them, I'm sorry, but Lovie Smith is paid five million dollars to know better than to run it up the gut with a practice squad fullback against one of the most prohibitive run defenses in the league. Where was play action? A quarterback sneak? Off-tackle? Quick pass to a tight end? Inexcusable coaching.

Of all the absurd moves Lovie Smith made last night, the strangest one had to be punting the ball with about 3 minutes left while down by 20. I'm sorry, but what's the point in effectively giving up the game when you still have a chance of winning, however remote? It's not like it really hurts the Bears any more if they can't convert and Minnesota tacks on another score, does it?

Clark's hit on Welker was obviously going to draw a flag in the league this year, but if it was 2005 no one would have even thought twice about it being a legal hit. You can hit a receiver on a tipped ball and it's not like the play was long over before the hit. I think it's less than a second between the tip and the hit and no one had really stopped running yet except Polamalu because he knew exactly what happened to the ball. In the Colts game this year Clark gave up on a play on a tipped ball that turned into a Reggie Wayne TD, which I think may have factored in just as much as the "sending a message" idea. All "defenseless receiver" really means is that you didn't catch the ball. If the ball's there the hit's fine.

1) The NFL has been calling defenseless receiver penalties for a few years now. This isn't just something that's been popping up in 2008.

2) It was at least 1.5 seconds, maybe even 2, between the tip & Welker getting hit. Welker had slowed to a jog.

3) Of course, if the ball is there it's a clean hit (although there's a chance he could've got flagged for launching himself at Welker - that's something the NFL is cracking down on, whether it's a hit with the helmet or shoulder). But the ball wasn't there, it was like 7 yards away from him. The DB had plenty of time to hold up.

Guest Czecherbear

Well, what's he supposed to say? That laws shouldn't apply to him because he can catch a football, run with it, and pretend to shoot a basketball?

Oh, Christ. Tampa "hosts" New England in London next year.

Another brilliant initiative from the NFL. And of course, it's against the Patriots. I breathlessly anticipate Green Bay's inevitable "home game" wherein Mean Rodge must break it to Packer Nation that London is going to take the Packers out of Lambeau for a week. Yeah whatever, what are THEY gonna have at their tailgate parties? Boiled beef with bread soup?

Bloomberg only follows the letter of the law when it suits him. When he doesn't like it, he'll just strongarm the City Council into changing it.