TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Wrestlers who you did not want to see succeed

I have to admit, when Hogan left the WWF in 1993 to go to WCW in 1994, I totally wanted him to fail and fall flat on his face. After getting tired of seeing Hulkamania, the Hitman era was such a refreshing period for me.

Other wrestlers I didn't want to see succeed:

Savage in WCW. Again, his greatness was in the WWF, so I didn't want him to take off in WCW.

Bret Hart: Same reason. I never wanted Bret to do so well, that he would "forget" about his WWF run.

Henning: I wanted him to feud with Helmsley in the WWF not going to WCW where I knew he was gonna be wasted.

Angle: In TNA. Only because he ran his mouth so much about proving to everyone he still had.

Your choices?

I think Billy Gunn is the only person I just flat out didn't want to achieve anything. Even though there were periods where I knew they could've gotten more out of him than they did, it brought a smile to my face to see him fail.

On a lesser scale, as an HBK mark, and given the way Shawn got kicked out of DX in 98, I never wanted HHH to eclipse Shawn.

Similarly, I never really wanted Lita to rise above Chyna.

The NWO in The WWF/E circa 2002. A tired faction that was brought back in a lame attempt to try to garner interest in the stale product.

I really hate to hope anyone fails at their goals in real life. I will say that I wouldn't mind if guys like Rey Mysterio and Triple H went away or went somewhere else to freshen up their characters and style. Some guys can be stale and still be entertaining to me, but those two just really seem to be going through the motions.

I'm not mean-spirited enough to want for anybody to fail, but I sure was relieved when I found out that I wouldn't have to watch another Bobby Lashley match ever again... or at least for the foreseeable future. WWE really wanted me to care about this fucking dude a lot without even giving me a single reason to in the first place.

Well like mellow, I can't say I ever wanted someone to fail, I was relieved whenever WCW decided to end their biyearly pushes for Van Hammer and Prince Iaukea. Those guys were just so boring. Boring as faces, boring as heels. I'd say the same about Chris Masters. Didn't want to see the guy fail but I was relieved WWE finally just gave up on him being the next big thing.

Oh, God yes, in regards to Lashley. I don't wish bad things or failure on anyone, but I just didn't give a rat's ass about the guy. Vince sent him to ECW and rammed him down everyone's throats, even to the point of having him destroy three of ECW's originals in an Extreme Rules Handicap match. Through all that, I still didn't give a damn.

Never really cared for Samoa Joe, I didn't want him to fail, but I did';t want guys to start working like him.

I was kind of glad Jericho ditched his old character, I didn't like it 6 years ago, didn't like it when he returned. I just wanted him to go away, but now he has grown on me as a character, still don't think he offers much in the ring, his promos are awesome though.

I'm not mean-spirited enough to want for anybody to fail, but I sure was relieved when I found out that I wouldn't have to watch another Bobby Lashley match ever again... or at least for the foreseeable future. WWE really wanted me to care about this fucking dude a lot without even giving me a single reason to in the first place.

Oh, God yes, in regards to Lashley. I don't wish bad things or failure on anyone, but I just didn't give a rat's ass about the guy. Vince sent him to ECW and rammed him down everyone's throats, even to the point of having him destroy three of ECW's originals in an Extreme Rules Handicap match. Through all that, I still didn't give a damn.

Beaten to it...

Lashley is as close as I've come to want a wrestler's push to fail.

The Artist Formerly Known As Prince Iaukea was pretty sweet though, I may be one of the few who liked it though. Thought he did the role quite well in and out of the ring.

Aw man- that whole period of the cruisweight title from when Lenny Lane won the title till Russo and Bischoff came back in April '00 and stripped Prince Iaukea of the title just killed that division. I thought no matter how bad WCW got, the Cruiserweight division would always be at least pretty good. I thought wrong.

Oh and that brings to mind Evan Karagias. That guy was bland as plain toast. I liked Three Count but even as a mark, I could tell he was the weakest link of that group. Certainly didn't deserve a push to The Cruiserweight title and at the time he won the title, I thought the division hit rock bottom. Again, unfortunately, I thought wrong.

Was this the time period involving Oklahoma, Madusa. Dr. Death, Barbecue Sauce and the cruiserweight title?

Billy Gunn, Lashley, and X-Pac towards the end of his WWE run.

I liked Gunn with the Outlaws, but I hated them trying to push him as the next big thing. Lashley, well, just sucked donkey balls. X-Pac, well, do I even need to go over X-Factor?

The Great Khali. But now he is awesome, so I'm glad he is sort of a success.

Blah, Kiss Cam with fat chicks doesn't make me laugh.

WWE should have went with him yelling in the phone at random people like King Cucaracha suggested.

When I was younger, and I watched Shawn Michaels turn on Marty Jeanetty (sp?), I hated Michaels and didn't want to see him do well. I was huge Rockers fan back in the day.

Cena. I disliked him right from the start, I'm not one of those who jumped on the haterade bandwagon in '05.

Nash. Do I really need to specify? Okay, he'd already succeeded by the time I started watching, but I'm amazed every time a company brings him back for another run in which he puts nobody over.

Chris Masters. I'd love for some person with more guts than myself to go back and count exactly how much time was wasted on the Masterlock Challenge. Couldn't wrestle, couldn't talk, wasn't over, tended to injure people. Yet he was given a big push just because he knew his way around a weight bench and a syringe. The perfect storm of things I hate most in a wrestler.

Bulldog and Anvil when they followed Bret to WCW. Actually, it wasn't so much that I didn't want them to succeed, it was just obvious they would both be completely wasted until they were either fired or quit the company.

Randy Orton.

He just reminded me too much of this guy that kept chasing after this girl that I too was chasing after.

She wound up with a Brian Kendrick if I am to keep up with the wrestling metaphors (with me being around a Dennis Knight or so).

(I mean that in build. I don't go running around with just a fanny pack!) :)

I sort of felt bad for Lashley. I thought he had a lot of potential in the ring, but he was pushed to the moon before he was ready. Plus he REALLY needed to be a heel and have a manager instead of a Kermit sounding super babyface.

I sort of felt bad for Lashley. I thought he had a lot of potential in the ring, but he was pushed to the moon before he was ready. Plus he REALLY needed to be a heel and have a manager instead of a Kermit sounding super babyface.

Pretty much. Though, Paul Heyman, of all the people in the universe, couldn't even make Lashley seem interesting when he was in OVW, so who knows...

I wanted JBL to fail from '04 until he lost the belt. Because fucking Bradshaw was holding the belt.

As someone who was behind the bell curve on wrestling trends, I also wanted Steve Austin shot in the face around Royal Rumble '97. Shows you what I know.

I wanted JBL to fail from '04 until he lost the belt. Because fucking Bradshaw was holding the belt.

As someone who was behind the bell curve on wrestling trends, I also wanted Steve Austin shot in the face around Royal Rumble '97. Shows you what I know.

You knew nothing, but who did at the time. ;)

I was a huge Austin mark, incidentally, going back to his TV Title days in WCW. I was angered that he was gone from late 94 until mid 95 in WCW, without knowing what was going on with him, physically. Even as a not-a-smark-yet fan of Hacksaw Jim Duggan, I fucking hated that he dropped the belt in a few seconds and never recovered. He was way more interesting to me than the washed up ex-WWF talents that were brought in at the time.

When he showed up in late '95 I sorta freaked that it was him, and hated that he was repackaged in the same vein that many former stars were at the time. I knew who he was, and no name would ever change that. I didn't think that the Ringmaster name was so much stupid or over the top, so much as I did think that it was a name that was not comfortable with the performer, and the kind of thing that would not last (and, fuck- Vince actually referred to him as Steve Austin a several weeks later at the Royal Rumble). I actually called it. Two months later the company went back to the Steve Austin name, albeit with a nickname that I was unsure of. And I could not have been any more wrong.

The Stone Cold character deserves much credit for pulling the WWF out of the muck. Partial credit should be handed to DX, The Rock, The Undertaker, Ken Shamrock and Mick Foley, but, overall, I am very appreciative that Austin caught on the way that he did. I have a feeling that, had WCW won the war, we just might appreciate things less than they are now.

Mark Henry. He's sucked for so long, they build him up as a monster that no one can beat, then job him out, only to bring him back the exact same way next time.

"Who can stop Mark Henry?!"

I dunno, all the people that beat him last time he made tv

I haven't watched in a couple of years, but that was the non stop Biz-Mark deal for years