TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
theone

How damn long will it take E to ditch the hideous spinner belt?

The 'WWE Champ' spinner belt fit Cena's gimmick well, I'll give them that..

But it has been years since that, and we're still stuck with this god awful belt...a god awful belt with the wrong show's sideplates on it at that. (Yes, the WWE Champ belt is still sporting RAW sideplates)

Bring back a winged eagle, a variant of one of the last two undisputed titles, come up with something new (as long as it's nothing like the Divas or ECW strap it'd be ok)...JUST DO SOMETHING and get that damn disgrace off television...It really limits who can even be the WWE Champ just by how completely silly and gimmicky the belt looks. Imagine 'Taker walking out with the bling bling spinner 'WWE Champ' belt

and speaking about belts, the tag straps need to be unified and ECW needs a hardcore title

I never liked the spinner belt.

but however, I think the new ECW belt is pretty sweet. And ECW doesn't have a big enough roster to support another title. Maybe they could have a hardcore title to span across all 3 shows. Like have a tourney or something to declare the inagural champ, then make it where any wrestler who wins like say 3 hardcore/no dq/extreme matches in a row could challenge for the belt. If it meant they were gonna bring back the stupid 24/7 rule, I would totally be against the hardcore belt coming back. That whole tirade was a cluster-fuck of epic proportions. You couldn't keep up with who the champ was.

Imagine 'Taker walking out with the bling bling spinner 'WWE Champ' belt

This needs to happen.

I'm afraid the belt is probably selling well as merchandise, WWE probably wouldn't get rid of it even if they wanted to.

Imagine 'Taker walking out with the bling bling spinner 'WWE Champ' belt

This needs to happen.

I'm afraid the belt is probably selling well as merchandise, WWE probably wouldn't get rid of it even if they wanted to.

oh, NO DOUBT more kiddies are buying the replica spinner belts....but it truly is a damn disgrace...the strap looks like something you'd find in a ghetto jewelry / hair supply place that sells fake gold teeth and spinner necklaces

a championship belt that doesnt even have the word 'CHAMPION' on it :angry:

I never liked the spinner belt.

but however, I think the new ECW belt is pretty sweet. And ECW doesn't have a big enough roster to support another title. Maybe they could have a hardcore title to span across all 3 shows. Like have a tourney or something to declare the inagural champ, then make it where any wrestler who wins like say 3 hardcore/no dq/extreme matches in a row could challenge for the belt. If it meant they were gonna bring back the stupid 24/7 rule, I would totally be against the hardcore belt coming back. That whole tirade was a cluster-fuck of epic proportions. You couldn't keep up with who the champ was.

That could work pretty well.

my idea would be have morrison / miz pick up the other straps...unify the titles and then have Miz and Morrison do a "Rock Star" gimmick where they tour all three shows and rosters

something similar could work for a hardcore champ too...and I agree with the no 24/7 rule...it made it way too hard to look forward to matches (some were actually pretty good) when you knew at some point later on in the PPV backstage the champ would get blindsided and lose the title

If traditionalist/son-in-law of company owner Triple freaking H will wear that thing as champion, you can better believe Undertaker would suck it up and deal with it.

If the belt at least said "CHAMPION" instead of "CHAMP" and it didn't still have "MON NITE RAW" on the one side, I don't think it would be quite as annoying. I'll say this much for that belt: It doesn't look cheap. Gaudy and ridiculous? Maybe, but not cheap.

If traditionalist/son-in-law of company owner Triple freaking H will wear that thing as champion, you can better believe Undertaker would suck it up and deal with it.

If the belt at least said "CHAMPION" instead of "CHAMP" and it didn't still have "MON NITE RAW" on the one side, I don't think it would be quite as annoying. I'll say this much for that belt: It doesn't look cheap. Gaudy and ridiculous? Maybe, but not cheap.

According to WWE Magazine's The Complete History of Champions Special Edition from 2007, here are some of the facts regarding the "Making of the Spinner Belt"

8 Plates on the belt [main plate, 4 side plates, the spinner, the eagle and the champ banner], most belts have only 5 plates.

$8,000 - cost of the computer software used to design the belt

90 - days it took to construct the belt

4,000 stones painstakingly attached by hand to the title

$60 - cost of the special Japanese skateboard bearings used to formerly make the belt spin

If it kept him in the center spotlight for another few months, I'm sure trips would wear a belt that had a picture of Pat Patterson and Kris Kanyon assfucking on it...

They actually have TWO WWE titles right now - one kept in pristine condition inside a suitcase used only on TV and PPV and one that the champ actually has possession of (and uses at house shows). This was a random note in the most recent Observer.

this was a fine looking belt:

undisputed3.jpg

and heres a history of WWE championship straps I found for anyone curious:

http://www.wrestling101.com/101/article/USGuests/970/

I never knew the smokin skull belt was shown on TV for the first time and Vince didn't even know about it

When Steve Austin was presented the new Big Eagle, it had the oldschool style WWF block logos and was on a dark blue strap. Kane held this belt also, albeit for only 24 hours. While in action in the ring, the belt hit Austin under the chin and cut his face, he (without the knowledge of Vince and the WWF) contacted J Mar and asked him to create a new belt for him, incorporated skulls and rattle snakes. J-Mar created the 'Smoking Skull' belt, of which two were made: A gold one and a silver one.Austin took the gold one to the next RAW without Vince knowing and used it as the WWF title belt, Vince was NOT happy and demanded Austin revert back to the Big Eagle. Austin did, but the WWF were inundated with fan requests to bring back the Smoking Skull belt, Vince backed down and the Smoking Skull belt returned to TV and was even the focal point of a storyline involving Vince and Austin.

I never knew that about the Smoking Skull belt. Being cut in the face might be the most ridiculous reason for a new belt I have ever heard.

*Fan throws a Budweiser at Stone Cold and it hits him in the groin*

Stone Cold goes to Vince:"I want the fans to throw Miller Lite instead! The Budweiser hit me in the fuckin' groin!"

As far as I'm concerned the greatest WWE title belt is easily the 1988-98 title. The ones before it are primitive by comparison and the ones after have all been tasteless on some level.

I always heard that Austin just flat-out never liked the new eagle belt and wanted the old winged eagle back. When Vince told him no, he got the smoking skull made. I never heard the "he got cut so he wanted a new belt" story.

I've always had a soft spot for the Big Green belt. I'd definitely be interested in buying a replica of it if one were ever marketed.

I always liked the Attitude Era WWF Championship Belt, mostly because it was a grandiose update of the also-awesome 88-98 belt.

At this point, I would say the the replica belt would still sell if Hardy or whoever were carrying something else around. Hell, if they played their cards right and moved to the next model, they would have two hot-selling replica models.

While we're on the topic of belts...

I've heard a few different stories about this and nobody I've talked to seems to know for sure...whats the story with how the top of the WCW big gold belt used from 86ish till '00 was bent?

this was a fine looking belt:

undisputed3.jpg

and heres a history of WWE championship straps I found for anyone curious:

http://www.wrestling101.com/101/article/USGuests/970/

I never knew the smokin skull belt was shown on TV for the first time and Vince didn't even know about it

I hated that belt, but next to the spinner gimmick it looks great

I always heard that Austin just flat-out never liked the new eagle belt and wanted the old winged eagle back. When Vince told him no, he got the smoking skull made. I never heard the "he got cut so he wanted a new belt" story.

Don't really know if this is when Austin was cut or not, but it could be another factor in Austin wanting another belt made.

This is an excerpt from a Joe Marshall interview in WWE Magazine.

One time in Columbus, Ohio, Stone Cold chucked his title belt into the ring from about 30 feet away. The front plate broke off and a piece flew out into the audience.

I don't like the spinner belt, but I loved when Edge put his R logo on the spinner when he won it.

I don't understand why the WWE champ doesn't revert to a more traditional belt, and why Cena doesn't bring out a new custom belt for the Heavyweight championship. That'd make the most sense, I think, cuz then you still have a spinner belt to sell to the kids, but it's *Cena* who's holding it.

I always thought it was stupid for anyone BUT Cena to be holding that belt. Like, it'd be like if Rock was carrying the Smoking Skull belt. Why? What's the point? Like, kayfabe-wise, why would anyone else want to hold that belt, save for maybe like a week or two just to rub it in Cena's face?

That said, I always wanted to see Cena's title reign end via a beltshot with the spinner, and the belt be gimmicked in such a way that the spinner actually broke off, then the thing'd be gone.

Eh, this is an old fantasy booking idea I had. I was thinking around Wrestlemania 22 for the Triple H vs John Cena match (the one that everyone knew Cena was going to lose), they could have had some fun with the Spinner. Perhaps have Triple H win, and be awarded the title. After he finishes his celebration, have him look at the belt like, "the fuck is this?!". Then he lays the belt in the middle of the ring, steps to the outside, grabs his sledgehammer, and proceeds to crawl back into the ring and smash the title to pieces. Of course this would have to be a replica because there's no way in Hell, WWE would let that expensive title be destroyed. Eh, it never happened, and the rest is history.

I would love to see Jeff Hardy carrying around the Undisputed title, but WWE is just Hell-bent on having the spinner be their "go-to" belt right now. There was talk in another thread that Randy Orton asked if he could use the Undisputed title during his title reign, and Vince said no. Triple H asked again when he beat Randy Orton, if he could use the old belt, and Vince again said no. If Vince will tell his son-in-law, no, there's little chance we will see the Spinner go away any time soon.

The 88-98 version of the WWE Title sucked because it was way too small. The IC title was bigger than it, and it was something I always questioned growing up watching wrestling. I wanted WWE to adopt the WCW type design and make a bigger belt, and they did in 98 which I loved. I don't know how the 88-98 Title could be the best one since it was too small for a World Title.

The spinner replica sells like crazy, both the "real" replica and the foam belt one. Vince wants that thing all over TV. That's always been the mentality behind WWF/E merch.....if you wear it on TV, it sells. Austin had about 15 different shirts alone in 1998. I hate the spinner belt, and would love to see either the Undisputed Title (with bigger plates, like Rock had, the original one HHH was awarded looked more like the WWE North American Title or something) or a completely new belt, but I don't see it anytime soon.

I can remember in one of the Austin videos, I think it was "Hell Yeah", he talked about the "first night" he was awarded the WWF title (blue strap) after WM 14, when he went to stun Vince, the belt jumped up and cut him in the chin. I don't think it was that exact night, because I rewatched that segment and he didn't get cut, but it corroborates that story, I guess.

I can remember one of the center plate side bars (like what the Winged Eagle belt had) on the original blue strapped Attitude belt Austin was awarded being broken, because JMAR had a website with a picture of it, with the caption saying it was "Abused by Austin"....which is kind of ironic. Austin used to always chuck his belt into the ring while walking down the ramp, especially when he was I-C champ.

The second model of the Attitude era title was exactly the same, except with a black strap and the scratch logo.....and no raised side bars, they were just designed into the edge of the flat center plate. I believe this broken belt was the reasoning behind the Winged Eagle belt being in the Austin zamboni segment, where Vince was going to award it to either Kane or Undertaker....since the Attitude belt was broken and they didn't want that on TV.

I can also remember the Winged Eagle belt that Bret carried around October of 1997 having the top WWF logo broken off. I was at the 10/6/97 RAW (day after Pillman's death), and Bret was on the ramp giving an interview to Shawn and HHH in the ring. He held up the belt, saying something like, "Until you have THIS, you aren't the top guy, blah blah blah" and you could plainly see the broken plate.

The second model of the Attitude era title was exactly the same, except with a black strap and the scratch logo.....and no side bars.

Some of this post is 100% incorrect.

what.jpg

what2.jpg

in the words of Stone Cold....

WHAT?

This may have been mentioned already in this thread. Regarding the classic Winged Eagle title, if you watch the post Wrestlemania 14 press conference with Tyson and Austin, you can clearly see that one of the side bars has been broken-off as well.

IIRC, the night after WM 14 when everyone had their shiny new title belts, didn't all of them have different colored straps? I distinctly remember the Blue-Strapped Big Eagle, as well as a Purple-strapped IC title, a Red-Strapped Light Heavyweight Title (which may have been Red already), and whatever color the tag titles were.

Since we're talking about championships is it me or has WWE changed the appearance of the WWE World title a lot since they, I guess retired would be the right word here, retired the classic Winged title?

The classic winged title was around for years but since changing the design in the attitude era, it seems WWE has changed the design a hell of a lot of times.

They went from

Winged Eagle (1988-1998)

Big Eagle (1998-2002)

Smoking Skull used when Austin carried the title (1998-1999)

Unified WWE World (2002-2005)

Spinner (2005-now)

Not counting slight coloring changes, that's at least 4 unique title designs over the past 10 years alone.