TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

So how was your 2008?

The Good:

+ Went on vacation with my friends this year instead of my family

+ Went from 180 to 141 - mostly because I cut back on drinking

+ I finally saw TDK (a movie I had been waiting to see for 3 years)

+ Kept a job and got a nice raise

+ Barack Obama won (and I voted for him)

The Bad:

+ The year started off hectic - a friend from school shot himself

+ Two of my closest friends have moved

+ I didnt get to hang out w/ friends nearly as much this year

+ I didnt go back to school and I became a chain smoker

The I dont know if this is good or bad:

+ Three of my friends got pregnant...one has had her kid...one down, two to go

While not to many memorable moments, at least I didnt get fired for not talking to a customer enough this year.

So how was your 2008?

Graduated high school, got my own place, moved out, lost my virginity, committed a number of felonies, picked up biking, lost 4 inches off my waist, and got invited to the secret board.

Spent a fair amount of it unemployed. Went on several lengthy and terrifying drinking binges. Alienated almost everyone around me. Broke up with my girlfriend of 5 years. Moved back in with my parents.

So fair to decent, all things considered.

The Good

Not dead.

Have all my limbs.

Employed, with two jobs, the entire time.

The Bad

Spent a full week in Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago (lots and lots of fucked up family shit that came out of this that I'm still feeling)

As a result of my stay in the hospital, I cut my work hours down.

Which led to even less hours when the small business that I work for started losing money fast.

All my good friends are hours away, and I'm not really that crazy for the people here.

Did not reenroll in school after establishing residency in the state of Indiana

I didn't accomplish shit from a creative standpoint. Had no motivation.

This might be the worst year of my adult life. Not necessarily in terms of horrible things happening to me, but in that I am not better off than I was one year ago. I've never been able to say that at any point until now. 2008 was a whole bunch of nothing, topped with cynicism and indifference. I guess that 2009 will be a step up. If it isn't, then just kill me now.

My year fucking sucked. I left my ex who was a total bitch (the sex however was pretty great). In leaving I had to leave behind a job I loved, a new bed I loved, not to mention the money I loaned her which I'd never see again. So In July I pretty much was starting from scratch in life.

I want 2006 back, that was a good one

As grim as the details of my 2008 may be, I'm actually feeling pretty okayish about my prospects for 2009. I've been getting in some exercise, trying to maintain this picture-perfect hipster-thin physique as I enter the latter half of my 20s. I've also stopped drinking altogether. If I can just find a job or two and maybe get laid, I'd be on the road to redemption.

Guest Vitamin X

2008 was very much a similar year to 2007 for me, with the exception I enjoyed football a hell of a lot more last year. Only drawback is that, professionally speaking, I don't feel like I've done anything important, instead just inching closer to college graduation and thus being confronted with a gargantuan amount of debt to pay afterwards, which is a bit stressful. I picked up my drinking a bit this year, but only once had one of those "I feel so shit hungover I'm going to severely cut back or never drink again" moments this year, which is a staggering improvement from years past. I feel the area I've made the most positive strides in this past year has been in cooking and learning as much as possible about food- I had an interest in good food, but knew very little about what went into it or how to cook it until this past year, where I've learned a lot. The pieces of the puzzle were there, but I've finally put it together and would actually consider working in the hospitality industry if everything else failed... which would be a shame since I finally figured out my graduating major this year. Downside to that is that my writing and filmmaking exploits have fallen by the wayside quite a bit and that I've had a lot of moments where I've preferred being alone than with people, not that I've had much of a choice. I realized that after I broke up with my ex, I had alienated a lot of people I knew by choosing her over trying to work on those tenuous new friendships. That was pretty disappointing. I was also in much better physical shape earlier this year until early summer or so, when I just completely became slothful and starting eating all that great stuff I've been cooking.

I'm kicking off the New Year with a bit of a challenge for myself. I'm going to go all monk-like and eat very little outside of steamed rice and vegetables for the whole month, while cutting myself off from alcohol and drinking anything but milk, fruit juices, and water. I'm also going to jump in and exercise 4 times a week (3 times the first week of January to take it easy) and I'm going to see what the results are or if I can even make it to January 31st like that. I'm starting that on January 2nd to give me a bit of time to recover from New Year's. I'm also going to try to not spend any money going out, in fact only money I can spend is on others (there's two birthdays coming up in January for me). I guess I'm doing this because I feel like I have a lot of vices that I turn to when I'm bored rather than focus on being productive and healthy, so I'm cutting myself off from them and see the results. I'm probably going to be one cranky son of a bitch the first week or so, so forgive me TSM.

Started off shitty trying to finish my Masters, but I got it in May and that's worth something I think.

Moved to Syracuse, which is NOT what I wanted to do but it's working out alright. I work for a top Biotech company now doing I job that I (mostly) love.

Bought my first house this summer and the day I moved in ranks among the happiest days of my life.

Have a new girlfriend since September and she looks like a keeper.

I give the year a solid A.

Not a bad year.

-Got married.

-Got a new job, and joined the electrical union.

-Lost about 30 pounds (from 294 to 264), and plan on losing more next year.

Nothing really to put on the bad list other than I had to pay taxes instead of getting money back.

Pretty much nothing of consequence happened all year. Same jobs, same house, same friends, it's been a year long holding pattern for me.

This sums me up pretty well.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Switched brands of cigarettes. Got a promotion at work. That's about it.

Same place, same gal, almost bought a house but discovered black mold. We're close on another one.

Nothing really happened, just work and home.

Shittiest year of my life.

I don't know how I've been able to stay in such good spirits all along. Hopefully 2009 will be a lot better.

Transferred to another college. Doing just as well as I was at my previous school and doing a little bit better socially. Campus is isolated as fuck though so I get a bit of cabin fever. I'm really starting to wish I had looked at schools in The South and The West Coast. Fuck anyone who says you get used to the cold, I've lived in Maine for twenty years and Vermont for a couple months now and you don't get used to the shit. Not sure what the hell I'm going to do for a living but I'm certain that I'm going to go somewhere warm for a while.

Other than that and developing somewhat of a drinking problem, it's been a fairly uneventful year. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

The Good

College Graduation

Obtained my teaching credential

Stopped drinking heavily

Cut down smoking weed

No friends or family passed away

Went to a shit load of Dodger games

The Not So Good

Unemployed most of the year

Social life dormant due to no job and money

Still live at home

Seems like I spent the year doing nothing really

2008 was a transition year for me. I was unemployed for all of two months this year, luckily I got this big settlement from my old job that paid my bills for most of this year. I learned many things about myself and I'm determined to make 2009 the best year yet for me. I've always stayed in my comfort zone, so I plan to move out of my town and either back to Los Angeles or to the Bay Area for grad school. I've learned who my true friends are, and am thankful that I still have a roof over my head. Not the best year of my life, but not the worst.

Let's see...

-Had a six month relationship. Didn't work out but we're still good friends. Worth the time.

-Still working full time.

Oh yeah.

-PHILLIES WORLD PHUCKING CHAMPIONS~!!!!!!!!!!!

As grim as the details of my 2008 may be, I'm actually feeling pretty okayish about my prospects for 2009. I've been getting in some exercise, trying to maintain this picture-perfect hipster-thin physique as I enter the latter half of my 20s. I've also stopped drinking altogether. If I can just find a job or two and maybe get laid, I'd be on the road to redemption.

This is pretty much exactly how i'd sum my post up.

Guest Czecherbear

Now wait a second, I think we've buried the lead here. TaigaStar, why did you lose custody of your children?

Pretty good year.

I got married.

I worked steadily for the entire year so hopefully there's a tax return coming.

I saw friendships really grow.

I found a great church that doesn't piss me off.

And:

It's already 2009 for me. My wife's parents live in Spain and they flew us in for Christmas and New Years. BEAUTIFUL country, I've gotten to travel a lot of it and see some awesome stuff (2 castles so far and a 3rd soon). Visited Toledo, which is known for their sword-making. Frickin' awesome. And we rang in the new year about three hours ago. Her parents friends gave me two Japanese swords that they needed to get rid of since I didn't get to buy a Spanish sword in Toledo. Not a bad way to end the year.

quit teaching

back to school

got a full grad assistantship

marriage going strong

best shape of my life

found my calling, I think

new friends

new prez

only negative I can think of is less money, but still don't really have to worry much about that since I don't have to pay for school and get paid to go

+started a new job

+went on two cruises

+ran a 5K

+finally got a Wii

+bought a house for my parents to rent

-said house needed about $10K in additions right away and another $10K in the next 2 years

-blew through entire savings to fund down payment on said house

-wife is depressed

-gained back 35 pounds I'd lost last year

+Lakers made it to the Finals

-Sens are awful, Broncos and Blue Jays disappointed again

Good year on balance, but stressful like you wouldn't believe.