TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
treble

NHL - January 2009

Two things of note happened in the late minutes of HHT:

1) My email made it on, which was kind of cool (Like when AlKeiper won a prize during a Phillies game last year). Sadly, it was defending the Bruins. Oh well.

2) Says likeable caveman Steve Ludzik: The Habs have officially made an offer for Vinny.

I watched every game since he came to the Canucks, and I was impressed. The whole team played like dogshit in the St. Louis game, a game that I like to say never happened. That game against Dallas, he was fantastic.

But man, the Canucks are giving me an ulcer at this point. When the Devils scored goal #4, rage built inside of me.

The Canucks can't even do a cocktease comeback correctly.

They get within one goal, and unlike the Leafs who at least spend the last minutes jamming at the puck making you think they have a chance and deserved to win when they really didn't, they yank the goalie and then watch as the Devils just deny them anything, having shooting practise at the empty net, only for it go in- OFF A CANUCKS DEFLECTION WHAT THE FUCK.

Can't even lose properly.

I wish I drank.

I sent my editor, who is a Devils fan, what was essentially a drunk email about the loss and the final minute, only I'm not even drunk. I hate hockey.

The Canucks are getting me pretty down lately. 5 straight losses at GM Place.

Luongo's back tomorrow, god I hope it makes a difference cause they're in danger of slipping out of the playoffs now.

Luongo will come back, prove that he is not only the MVP of Vancouver, but eventually go on to win the Hart Trophy... all the while, setting up a VAN-MON Stanley Cup Final!

I'm not drunk either.

The Canucks put Sanford on waivers. I don't know why they'd keep Labarbera instead.

I get the feeling Vingeault never liked him. As I said before, I've been impressed with Labarbera since he came to the Nucks.

Gillis just traded a pick for Labarbara. He probably doesn't want to let go of the guy this quickly after giving up an asset.

And I hope Sanford enjoys Long Island. No DiPietro (possibly for the season) or McDonald now.

I have no problem with that. Maybe I'm grasping at straws a little bit, but with Washington's poor road record, how much will that hurt Ovechkin?

As long as the topic's brought up, who else is on your Hart shortlist? I'll name a few that are head-and-shoulders above the rest of their team at this point:

* Ovechkin

* Kipprusoff

* Parise

As far as vaguer suggestions:

* Malkin and/or Crosby

* Any one of four or five Sharks

* Fill in the blanks, Max

* Three or four Hawks, primarily Patrick Kane

I'm not suggesting everyone there is a bonafide Hart contender, but there's five or six legitimate potential winners in that list, in addition to Datsyuk.

On TSN's That's Hockey tonight they mentioned that if Steve Mason continues to impress, he could not only be a lock for the Calder...he may even get the Vezina as well.

They went on to say that if CLB get into the playoffs, he could be a possible Hart contender too.

I thought it may have been a little far-fetched, but crazier things have happened..

It's a dead-heat between Wheeler, Versteeg, and Mason at this point.

As I mentioned last weekend, I don't see Columbus getting into the playoffs. I know that's easy to say now that Nash is on the IR, and they are a better team on paper than the other bubble teams, but there's still some fairly good teams in that neighbourhood in Edmonton, Minnesota, and Colorado. Nashville's still within striking distance. Los Angeles is probably not going to get in, but they're only six back. I know they sandwich the Kings in the standings, but I'm going to write-off Dallas and St. Louis already. Hey, who knows what's going to happen in Glendale? I bet the last thing on the minds of Coyotes players over the next few weeks will be hockey.

Chara is probably the MVP of the team. Sadly, I think people will be too blinded by Shea Weber's offensive skillz to give Chara the Norris.

As far as the Hart trophy, I'm not sure. Savard is interesting because he leads the team in points, but he's been outshined by Krejci lately. Krejci's gotten Ryder back on track and has been the most dangerous player on the ice in most games.

Where they goin?

The Coyotes are locked in a terrible lease in Glendale and are rumoured to be having trouble making payroll. A lot of people are saying that they are not long for Phoenix.

Where they goin?

The Coyotes are locked in a terrible lease in Glendale and are rumoured to be having trouble making payroll. A lot of people are saying that they are not long for Phoenix.

There's been talk of this for a while now hasn't there? I thought there was some big news I missed out on.

Jesus, I guess the NHL got sick of paying their monthly bills..

Back to Winnipeg, indeed!!

They can't go back to Winnipeg because the geniuses who built the MTS Centre decided to build an area that couldn't accommodate an NHL franchise.

Send them to Hamilton.

I'd say Quebec City, but I think the fact that the city is all Francophone would make it hard to attract free agents.

How is the MTS Centre not built to accommodate an NHL franchise? It can seat like 15,000 for a hockey game and at one time, Bettman has said that Winnipeg is "a front-runner for an NHL team". Even as recent as last September they held an exhibition game there with the Phoenix Coyotes, playing host to the Calgary Flames, in front of 12,621 fans. If they were awarded another shot at an NHL franchise, who's to say they wouldn't bite the bullet and build a new arena or update MTS?

Star Ocean might get is wish. The NHL is looking to have next year's outdoor classic held at the Rose Bowl. Other possible suggestions include, Yankee Stadium and The Las Vegas Strip?

Linkage!

Yayyyy. Let's take something made for cold weather cities and ruin it. Fuck California. Maybe the year after we can have one down here.

I had no problem with the preseason game in Vegas in what, 92? 93? But, that was in September, and it wasn't titled "The Winter Classic".

The Rose Bowl? Nothing says hockey heritage like Pasadena! What the fucking fuck? Off the top of my head....Yankee Staidum, U of M, Coors Field, Fenway. But, two of the three front runners are Vegas and Pasadena? Fuck Gary Bettman in the ear.