TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
treble

NHL - January 2009

And it's a good thing that Kessel wasn't named to the All-Star team as he has mononucleosis and will be out for probably about a month. He was placed on IR.

What the fuck.

Speaking of injuries what's going on with Lucic?

Canucks are still 5 up on 9th place, so I'm not pushing the panic button yet, especially since Luongo is coming back sooner rather than later. They played well tonight, were just the victims of two unlucky bounces. That St. Louis game was a disgrace though.

I was at the Sharks game and the Canucks actually looked good despite the loss, especially compared to recent games. That St Louis game was just atrocious.

The thing that worries me is that if they keep playing the way they do, Luongo coming back isn't going to make a difference. Everyone seems to be assuming that things will get better when he returns since they were kicking ass right up until he got injured and then started sucking it, but if they can't get the fucking puck out of their own end and having pathetic giveaways then having a great goalie isn't going to fix it.

Oh and I don't know if it was shown on TV, but Sundin got like a 3 minute standing ovation after his first goal.

Awesome, another Nucks fan.

I've been saying the same thing- Luongo coming back is great, but he can't stand on his head every game when the team just comes out flat. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed their pathetic attempts at clearing the puck.

I'm hoping it's one of those morale things where their captain coming back combined with having Sundin in the lineup will inspire the rest of the team to give a damn. If they could play like they did for the first 2 periods of the Sharks game all the time they'd be solid.

Speaking of Tampa, tonight is the first ever matchup between Stamkos and Drew Doughty, and I will be there live. :)

one_versus_two.jpg

Stamkos is still newsworthy?

And it's a good thing that Kessel wasn't named to the All-Star team as he has mononucleosis and will be out for probably about a month. He was placed on IR.

What the fuck.

Speaking of injuries what's going on with Lucic?

Nobody knows nothin'. Some were guessing he had the flu, but I guess he did interviews today and sounds great, but is still likely out for tomorrow against the Scabs. Some places are saying upper body injury, but that could be anything. He should be back from whatever it was this weekend though.

That deal is garbage. Gainey is trading too much for what little in return. You could just get away with Higgins, S. Kostitsyn and a first rounder for Vinnie Lacavalier

I don't like the idea of splitting up the Kostitsyns, even Sergei (who has turned it on after a very slow start). Plekanec is grossly underachieving this year - he might not hit 20. If we can get Vinny and rid ourselves of an underachiever, awesome....and we haven't even discussed the need for some size up front, which Vinny certainly brings to the table.

I'd like to hang on to Suppan, but the Bolts are surely going to want at least one prospect to complement a draft pick.

That deal is garbage. Gainey is trading too much for what little in return. You could just get away with Higgins, S. Kostitsyn and a first rounder for Vinnie Lacavalier

Maybe for fictional player Lacavalier. But for certainly real player Lecavalier, Higgins, one of the sisters and a mid-late first rounder might-MIGHT get five seconds of laughter before they hang up.

Guest Czech please!

I see that the Blackhawks have traded Michael Blunden to Columbus for a fella named Adam Pineault. Apparently this is just one of those lateral trades you make to cycle out the guys that aren't panning out in your respective systems, but Dale Tallon has had great luck with this species of trade: Sharp for Ellison, Versteeg for Bochenski, and I dare say Eager for Vandermeer. Jury's out on Ladd for Ruutu. However, I feel like Tallon is in a real Sword of Damocles sitch with this club: the aforementioned were great moves, but he's had his share of flops (hi there, Adrian Aucoin), and as a Bill Wirtz hire, Rocky and McD will flush him out as soon as possible the way they flushed out fellow loyalists Pulford and Savard, and install Bowman & Son as the heads of hockey ops. I think anything less than a first round win costs him his head, but Rocky Wirtz prefers the velvet guillotine: he'll just be reassigned to hosting intermissions or something.

To take this beyond a standard FTR, I pose this two-parter:

1) Does your team have many or any similar cases of players who came in through low-risk shuffle trades and became integral contributors?

1B) Who are they, whom did you give up, and how poorly did the other guy turn out?

2) How endangered is your team's general manager?

I'm not sure anyone on the Sabres right now fits that description since most of the roster is from drafting at this point...BUT they did get a few years of Daniel Briere (who was on a low line in Phoenix) for Chris Gratton. I still get a laugh out of that trade. Briere went on to be mightily overpaid by the Flyers.

Gratton has continued to bounce from team to team because every new GM seems to think he's big so he can play. He is, however, a giant pussy.

Our GM is pretty far entrenched and isn't going anywhere.

Shane Hnidy and a draft pick for the aforementioned Goalchenski. Goalchenski flamed out in Anaheim (Surprised?) while Hnidy has established himself as a quality veteran defenseman and mentor to Mark Stuart.

Chiarelli has had his questionable trades (again, the Goalchenski for Versteeg trade) including the Jurcina trade, but he's also instilled confidence in the team by sticking with them last season at the deadline when a lot of people expected Kessel to be wearing a different sweater. He's taken risks, but he's also made good moves. That Brad Stuart trade looks genius right now. Same with the Wideman/Boyes deal that has worked for both teams. Ward for Mara. Fernandez for Kalus. Taking the chance on Wheeler. I'd say Chiarelli gets himself an extension after this season.

Maybe for fictional player Lacavalier. But for certainly real player Lecavalier, Higgins, one of the sisters and a mid-late first rounder might-MIGHT get five seconds of laughter before they hang up.

No way would Gainey would just get Lacavalier. If it was Higgins, Plekanec, Subban and two draft picks, there better be something else in there, maybe a defenceman since Montreal only has two that show up on a consistent basis

This Lacavalier deal has made me giddy since I heard it Monday evening. I'm not jumping the gun, but it's been a fantasy acquisition of mine since Gainey/Carbo came on board. Last year there was some talk, but no actions. Over the summer - Lacavalier signed, TB drafted Stamkos (who has been as impressive as a wet fart), Melrose tanked and the team looks worse and worse on a nightly basis. So it would be understandable if Vinnie finally comes to his sense and says, "Yes, I want a trade". If it happens, I won't plan the parade but I'll sure as hell get me a brand new Habs jersey.....but if he goes to Montreal, what number would he wear?

A Deal I could Deal with:

To TAMPA BAY

Christopher Higgins (C,LW)

Tomas Plekanec (C.)

P.K Subban (D)

and two draft picks (1st and 3rd round)

To MONTREAL

Vincent Lacavalier (C.)

Steve Eminger (D)

Gaaaaaaaaah. What the hell happened? Streaks and consistent play against Team X have historically held up pretty well for the Habs. I didn't see any of the game (dammit, I miss Centre Ice), and judging by the shots on Thomas, it wasn't a game like Thanksgiving night, but this one hurts.

What happened? Again, the Scabs are afraid of physicality. And when they were up against it, every Bruin was being overly physical with every one of them. They took the edge from Komasarek by being up his ass all night. And they hit every forward who came in the zone, including the invisible (surprise!) Kovalev. The sisters continued their bitch play, with Andrea trying to cripple an injured Aaron Ward before Thomas punched him in the face. That was the turning point. Thomas made huge saves in the third, but the turning point was the sister getting a major penalty and killing any sort of momentum they might have had going.

To take this beyond a standard FTR, I pose this two-parter:

1) Does your team have many or any similar cases of players who came in through low-risk shuffle trades and became integral contributors?

1B) Who are they, whom did you give up, and how poorly did the other guy turn out?

2) How endangered is your team's general manager?

Trading away star players, fan favourites, and draft picks, in return for nobody was the raison d'etre of Rejean Houle in the late 1990's. It's been anywhere from nine to thirteen years, but I still get amnesty, since Bob Gainey has been phenomenal; moreover, the answers to your questions with Gainey are "not really", "not applicable", and "not at all", which won't light a fire under the ass of this conversation. Thus, I'll bitch about Rejean Houle:

1) Low-risk? Yes, one or two: Dave Manson came from Phoenix for Murray Baron and Chris Murray. Trevor Linden came over under Houle - a first round pick was probably a little too rich, but I'll let Branislav Mezei slip away. (Are there any Islander fans here to pick apart Milbury, while we're at it?)

1B) I essentially answered this already, so I'll bitch about the big four trades:

Leaving Montreal were the greatest goalie of all time, three of the top fifty scorers ever, and three captains. (Roy, Recchi, Turgeon, Damphousse, and Keane).

Notable players who came to Montreal as a result: Shayne Corson*, Jocelyn Thibault*, Andrei Kovalenko*, Martin Rucinsky*, Dainus Zubrus, and Marcel Hossa. No one too bad (with the exception of Kovalenko, who was Daigle-levels of disappointing), but certainly not stacked up against the players for whom they were traded. By the way, the asterisks indicate players who would no longer be with Montreal when Houle was fired.

2) To sum up, Rejean Houle traded Patrick Roy, Mark Recchi, Pierre Turgeon and Vincent Damphousse for Dainus Zubrus and Marcel Hossa.

I just seen on the NHL Network that the All-Star Breakaway Challenge participants were announced:

- Alexander Ovechkin (WSH)

- Sidney Crosby (PIT)

- Patrick Kane (CHI)

- Alexei Kovalev (MON)

- Ryan Getzlaf (ANA)

and yeah, the Habs were man-handled again tonight by those fucking Bruins.

It's a tough battle, but I regretfully cheered 2 Bruins tonight for fantasy purposes...

Damn me.

#@!$$$^$#$#@@@@!!! is how I feel right now

Those pesky Devils are all up in Labarbera's grill.

PARISE, ROLSTON, ZAJAC!

They have 8 shots between 'em in like 10 minutes..

LOLbarbera. Now and against St. Louis with this stuff. Terrible goaltender.

Down to Winnipeg.

3 goals on 12 shots..

Wouldn't really surprise me if he's not back out for the 2nd.

Sanford came in a little while ago. LaBarbera allowed the first two goals before Sanford came in and gave up the other.

Sanford came in a little while ago. LaBarbera allowed the first two goals before Sanford came in and gave up the other.

He's not a terrible goalie. The St. Louis game wasn't totally his fault, and I'm not going to completely blame him when the team makes turnovers in their own zone, and can't clear the puck

What happened? Again, the Scabs are afraid of physicality. And when they were up against it, every Bruin was being overly physical with every one of them. They took the edge from Komasarek by being up his ass all night. And they hit every forward who came in the zone, including the invisible (surprise!) Kovalev. The sisters continued their bitch play, with Andrea trying to cripple an injured Aaron Ward before Thomas punched him in the face. That was the turning point. Thomas made huge saves in the third, but the turning point was the sister getting a major penalty and killing any sort of momentum they might have had going.

Boston learned how to skate, which they couldn't do last year. And also Tim Thomas isn't letting up soft goals.

He's not a terrible goalie. The St. Louis game wasn't totally his fault, and I'm not going to completely blame him when the team makes turnovers in their own zone, and can't clear the puck

Numbers tell the whole story. His numbers suck. So do Sanford's. They both suck.

I've watched LaBarbera play nearly every single game of his whole career. I've seen a lot of shitty goaltenders play for my team, and maybe two or three decent ones. I think I'm qualified when it comes to this. And given that nearly all the goals went off his body or between his legs during the St. Louis game, yes, it was totally his fault.