TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marneywasmurdered

Recent Purchases

Guest Marneywasmurdered

I have about $200 worth of credit at the second biggest bookstore in BC so I went in today and bought 16 books, I got:

"Paladin" by C.J. Cherryh

"The Soprano Sorceress" by L.E. Modesitt

"Spy Catcher: the shocking book of secrets Britain banned" by Peter Wright

"The Age of Revolution and Reaction, 1789-1850" by Charles Breunig

"I.R.A. Death by Deception" by James C. Woewoda

"Dark Moon" by David Gemell (one of my favorite authors.)

and the rest were books by Mercedes Lackey from her Valdemar series which I've heard were decent.

Salman Rushdie - Haroun and the Sea of Stories

Graham Greene - Brighton Rock

Reading the Rushdie now. It's his stab at young-adult fiction, so it's considerably less dense than his other books. Which is fine. It's a breezy, entertaining read (I got through the first 50 pages extremely quickly). A bit lightweight perhaps, but considering the target audience, that's to be expected.

An aside: My particular copy is geared toward adults—indeed, I found it shelved alongside Midnight's Children and The Satanic Verses in the literature section of Barnes & Noble—the inside and outside covers feature blurbs from highbrow literary types such as Doris Lessing, Nadine Gordimer, and, er, Stephen King. No hint at all that this novel is geared toward the younger set.

The covers for the "adult" version and "child" version are also different. Below, on the left, is the adult copy (the one I have) and on the right is the child copy:

8835020.jpg / 9780140366501.jpg

I prefer the latter.

'brighton rock' the movie is pretty great. can't speak for the book. all i've read by greene is 'the power and the glory', and that one fell kinda flat for me. like, pulpy and readable in an HP lovecraft kind of way, but without the cool provocative ideas behind it that make you keep thinking about it.

Recently picked up the following:

To America by Stephen Ambrose

Fire & Ice by Michael Adams (deals with the differences between American & Canadian culture)

The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer

The Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer

American Lion by Jon Meacham

"Zero" by Charles Seife.

Basically about the 'number' and more the concept of Zero. He calls it "infinity's cousin". It starts with a US Battleship stopping dead in the water because computer programmers forgot about a zero they were supposed to take out.

Got Survivor by Chuck Pahlianiuk as a birthday gift this weekend. I was a big fan of Choke and I understand that this is generally considered his best work. Hopefully I'll get to it sometime this week.