TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slabinskia

Ridiculous old school rumors

I am lifting this from the WCW facts and tidbits thread. I didn't get internet access until 2000. What were some of the rumors going around on the iwc during the monday night wars. An example I took from the wcw thread would be:

Eric Bischoff saying on nitro he has a surprise that Vince Mcmahan can't do anything about and the iwc claiming Shane Mcmahan was secretly joining wcw as an advisor.

Eric Bischoff saying on nitro he has a surprise that Vince Mcmahan can't do anything about

Didn't this turn out to be the Goldberg heel turn?

It was intended to be the announcement of Mandalay Sports Entertainment buying WCW for 600 mil which would have put them in a spot to potentially finally kill off Vince's company for good...that fell through, so they went on with the Goldberg turn.

I remember there was an article in the Torch the week before Bash at the Beach '96 claiming that Lex Lugar was going to be the third man.

Because of this, when Lugar was stretchered out, I figured that was their way of getting him to the back for his surprise return, ending in a heel turn.

Eric Bischoff saying on nitro he has a surprise that Vince Mcmahan can't do anything about

It was intended to be the announcement of Mandalay Sports Entertainment buying WCW for 600 mil which would have put them in a spot to potentially finally kill off Vince's company for good...that fell through, so they went on with the Goldberg turn.

I thought the Mandalay deal was closer to 2001, while the heel turn was GAB 2000 (June).

I thought the Mandalay deal was closer to 2001, while the heel turn was GAB 2000 (June).

I think you're right. I want to say the Mandalay thing was in late 2000, followed by the attempted acquisition by Fusient around March 2001. I believe the Fusient buyout was all but done until the new head of the Time-Warner merger decided he "didn't want that redneck shit on any of his channels".

I don't think anything is going to top "Bret Hart is returning to the WWF to lead The Invasion". I always forget who started that? Was it Keller?

It was Bob Ryder of 1wrestling.com.

The original Mandalay deal was supposed to be closed in April of '00, but the deal got strung out over months before finally falling on its face

When the higher power was going to be revealed on Raw, the oddest rumor I read online was that it was going to be Mike Tyson. The odd thing was the source, some guy said his friend worked at a video store and Tyson and Austin came in together to rent WM 14. The clerk asked Austin who the HP was and Tyson told him it was him. Yes this was actually posted on a wrestling rumor news site as fact. Too bad I can't remember the site.

When the higher power was going to be revekaed on Raw, the oddest rumor I read online was that it was going to be Mike Tyson. The odd thing was the source, some guy said his friend worked at a video store and Tyson and Austin came in together to rent WM 14. The clerk asked Austin who the HP was and Tyson told him it was him. Yes this was actually posted on a wrestling rumor news site as fact. Too bad I can't remember the site.

LMAO

When the higher power was going to be revekaed on Raw, the oddest rumor I read online was that it was going to be Mike Tyson. The odd thing was the source, some guy said his friend worked at a video store and Tyson and Austin came in together to rent WM 14. The clerk asked Austin who the HP was and Tyson told him it was him. Yes this was actually posted on a wrestling rumor news site as fact. Too bad I can't remember the site.

Sounds legit.

Sounds legit.

I remember that rumor as well. Not the "renting WM 14" part, but I remember reading a completely serious news story about how Tyson, unable to be reinstated into boxing, had decided to sign full time with the WWF as an on air performer/wrestler and would debut as the higher power.

Of course, that never happened. I do remember reading how it actually was Vince in the outfit when he revealed his face to Austin on the RAW before the big reveal (via front row fans who saw his face).

Sounds legit.

I remember that rumor as well. Not the "renting WM 14" part, but I remember reading a completely serious news story about how Tyson, unable to be reinstated into boxing, had decided to sign full time with the WWF as an on air performer/wrestler and would debut as the higher power.

Of course, that never happened. I do remember reading how it actually was Vince in the outfit when he revealed his face to Austin on the RAW before the big reveal (via front row fans who saw his face).

I heard that version of the Tyson story at the time as well, but the video store clerk thing was funnier to post. Anyhow I always thought it was dumb that when Vince took off the cloak, he yelled "its's me Austin" when Austin already knew from the week before.

I remember that JR remarked that Austin looked like he just saw a ghost, which was kinda messed up since it was the week after Owen's death. Were they trying to give people reason to believe the accident was a work?

The best romour that was fake but touted as real. Ric Flair is a 17 time World Champion.

Bullshit of the highest order, actually he has being a promotions "World Champion" 22 times.