TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

First image from Mortal Kombat Deception!

Gamespot releases the first trailer!

Mortal Kombat: Deception is the recently announced sixth installment in Midway's Mortal Kombat series. This long-running franchise is arguably one of the most pivotal entries in the fighting genre because of its mature content and heavy use of blood. Over the course of several arcade and console installments the series continued to evolve but lost a bit of focus as it moved forward. Fortunately, 2002's Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance brought the franchise back up to fighting form with impressive graphics, a new fighting system, and a generous helping of blood. From the looks of the trailer for Mortal Kombat: Deception, the franchise will be maintaining the momentum started with Deadly Alliance and will offer plenty to look forward to. After obsessing over every frame of the trailer and cross-referencing the images with the press release, we now offer some thoughts on the upcoming game. (It's not likely we'll be the only MK fans doing frame-by-frame analyses in the coming days.)

As with every installment in the series, our first viewing of the trailer had us looking out for which fighters we recognized. The heavily edited clip and the grainy filter used to give the piece a nicely gritty look made it a challenge to single out everyone, but we feel pretty confident in naming a few folks. Baraka is back in all his toothy, blade-wielding glory. Three ninjas in the clip, each bearing one of the three colors from the classic MK ninja rainbow, make it pretty obvious some old friends are also returning. The first two ninjas appear to be Scorpion and Sub-Zero, and it looks like they're sporting fashionable updates of their classic looks. The third ninja, clad in red, is what we would certainly like to hope is Ermac. Mileena is also back, in what appears to be two purple outfits. While a variation on her original togs is in the mix, a new Jennifer Lopez-inspired ensemble is also on hand. It should be noted that both outfits appear to possess powerful magical properties, as they hang tough to Mileena's junk real good, even in the midst of combat. We also caught a few flashes of other characters who were harder to identify. A very brief flash of a battle between two characters toward the end of the trailer shows what could be Nightwolf; it's a stretch, we know, but we could swear we see deerskin boots and a tomahawk. As for the second fighter, clad in white with a funky hat, we're not sure. The color scheme is wrong for Raiden, unless he's gotten a makeover, which is possible. The last potential member of the cast--which we'll admit is a long shot, but we'll throw it out there anyway--could be Shao Kahn. During the dramatic cuts in parts of the trailer, a very Shao Kahn-like helmet appears several times. We never actually see him in action at all, so we may be stoking the sure-to-be-busy rumor mill, but we'd like to think that we know our skull-shaped metallic helmets pretty well.

The next topic for obsession is the gameplay. The trailer backed up some of Midway's press releases and showed off hints of the new gameplay elements slated for inclusion in the upcoming game. The most dramatically displayed element was the interactive environments. Based on the CG clip and the snippets of gameplay, it appears that the environments will feature a few types of functionality. In addition to being the standard Dead or Alive 3-style multitiered environments, it looks as though the environments will be large enough to have different areas that the fight can spill into and will also feature objects you can send your foes smashing through. Some stages also appear to have the potential for some very nasty drops. One arena, set atop a large pillarlike structure, looks tailor-made for some deadly falls. We caught two elements in the levels that should keep battles interesting. The most striking is what appears to be level-specific fatalities. The end of the clip shows Scorpion juggling a hapless Baraka into two very spiky pillars that did some unpleasant business that we heard but didn't see. The more subtle element may be tied to these new fatalities, though we're not quite sure just how it fits into the fighting system. This element is a green square that we noticed on the playfield before the move occurred, and this square was also visible in the brief glimpses we saw of some of the other arenas. From what we've seen in the snippets of gameplay, the combat system appears to be a mix of armed and unarmed combat similar to the system in Dark Alliance. Of course, fatalities are back. The trailer showed tantalizing glimpses of a few choice fatalities from our icy-blue ninja, which seem poised to follow ably in the footsteps of such classics as "rips out spine" and "punches head off."

As for the arenas you'll be duking it out in, we saw precious little of these environments, although we did pick out what appeared to be six different areas. We already briefly touched on an arena set atop a large pillar in the midst of an abyss. You can see mountains and a temple in the distance. Another arena with a similar theme is set atop the roof of a building during a rain shower. Yet another arena appears to be set in a good old apocalyptic wasteland, complete with bodies on pikes. The last few areas we saw offered a change of pace from the unholy locales. A factory, complete with the pool of flaming hot lava you always seem to find in them, was briefly shown. The interior of a castle, which seems to have troublesome floors, was on display as well. The most intriguing of the areas shown has a nice Hellraiser touch in the form of bodies apparently swinging from chains. We'll be curious to see if the corpses wind up being interactive during combat.

All told, the trailer for Mortal Kombat Deception, although brief, certainly offers enough tidbits to get fans worked up. The roster of characters revealed covers most of the right bases (personally, we'd like to see Sheeva and Stryker), and the level of violence is right where we'd like it to be. The interactive environments seem like a good new addition to the fighting mix as do the level-specific fatalities. Once you factor in the other bits of information revealed in yesterday's Q4-financial-results conference call, where Midway's president and CEO mentioned online play for both the PlayStation 2 and Xbox versions, as well as some of the modes in the game--such as conquest and adventure--you've got a slick new entry in the series that should prove that the Mortal Kombat franchise is back on a promising bloody track. Look for more on the game before it ships for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox this fall.

For Midway's official company line on Mortal Kombat: Deception, check out the game's announcement. To see the exclusive first trailer for the game, visit our media page.

Hurray for Baraka, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Nightwolf, Shao Kahn and Raiden!

Yawn for Ermac and Mileena.

The background thing sounds cool.

Nightwolf was pretty cool, though his fatalities seemed really lacking. I've always hated Mileena though, because EVERYBODY who plays as her knows that fucking roll-teleport kick-sai combo. Plus that nail spitting fatality sucks ass.

Um, how many times does Shao Khan need to be slaughtered before he, you know, STAYS DEAD?

I always thought Shang was *way* cooler than Kahn and should of kicked him off his throne lightyears ago. Besides, they have Quan Chi now as their head bad ass, why bring Khan back?

UYI

Note - I didn't read all of Sakura's ultimate-mega-super-wowzer post up there, so forgive me if I've just whined over nothing.

I like Nightwolf's pillar of light Fatality quite a bit. The lightning one is alright.

Everyone on MK Online is saying the helmet in the teaser is Sub-Zero's, not Kahn's.

I just now downloaded this. One thing I noted is that the annoucer("outstanding", "finish him", "fight") is Quan Chi. They're all just sounds from MK4 and DA so it doesn't 100% mean Chi will be in, but it's something to consider.

"A sinsiter force hides in the shadows, obsessed with dominating every realm, using the trust and loyalty of an ally to take it all.. through deception."

This is interesting. I wonder what it means?

Baraka is shown while it's saying that and he does have an ally in Mileena who just happens to be in the game. But since when is Baraka obsessed with dominating every realm or been into deception or any kind of intelligence at all? He's always just been a thug or henchmen, first for Kahn then for Shinnok and Quan Chi. I don't see him as a credible main villain. I suppose it could be Mileena, but again would anyone really buy her as a top villain and how would either of them be able to dominate the realms together?

It could be talking about Quan Chi and Shang Tsung turning on each other and breaking up the Deadly Alliance but that's kind of predictable and boring. This sounds like something more sinister and new.

Nitara screwed Reptile to get what she wanted in DA and Raiden brought up her race as a possible threat, so it could be her.

They once were close to turning Kitana heel and she is allies with the Earth warriors. That could be really interesting.

Fujin would be interesting as well. I could see him getting pissed Raiden is back to being a regular god and turning on everyone. I doubt he's popular or well known enough for them to want to use in a major story though.

And what of the Dragon King? MKDA's story was basically entirely set up for his return. He surely will factor in.

I don't know, there's so many possibilites...I can't wait to find out.

I just thought of an idea for an MK game.  Instead of lifebars(i hate them with a passion, yet i love fighting games) you could make the opponents fight until one of them was killed.

Bushido Blade--PS1.

That game rocks.

Has Sindel officially came to her senses and realised she was a pawn in Kahn's plot of destruction yet? If not, using her with Mileena and Baraka would be rather awesome.

I also like Sakura's Kitana-heel-turn idea as well.

UYI

On the subject of MK, Midway Arcade Treasures 2 has just been announced, and it will include MK1 and 2. And of course, it's NOT coming to Gamecube. Fuck Midway.

Has Sindel officially came to her senses and realised she was a pawn in Kahn's plot of destruction yet? If not, using her with Mileena and Baraka would be rather awesome.

Yes. Kitana found her and turned her against Kahn during MK3. She ruled Edenia as Queen for a while before being attacked by Quan Chi and Shinnok right before MK4. It is unknown what became of her during the attack. They're really vague about it.

So Sakura......I fell off of MK after MKII.

Maybe you can give us the story since you know it so well?

Well Kahn staged a final attack on Earth in MK3. He was actually successful and was the ruler of Earth, but a handful of Earth warriors survived, took him on and saved the world. A while later in MK4 the fallen elder god Shinnok returned with the help of Quan Chi and began an attack on the Heavens, Edenia(Kitana's former world, before Kahn took it over) and eventually Earth. Raiden and the others defeated Shinnok but Quan Chi bailed and stole Shinnok's powerful mystical amulet. In DA Quan Chi and Shang Tsung team up and use the amulet to try and revive an ancient unbeatable army.

Gavok's Plot FAQ at gamefaqs(just search for it in the MKDA section) is pretty cool. Anyone interested in an overview of the story should check it out. It's really detailed and accurate. There's only a few things I disagree with. I'm credited in it too!

I just thought of an idea for an MK game.  Instead of lifebars(i hate them with a passion, yet i love fighting games) you could make the opponents fight until one of them was killed.

Bushido Blade--PS1.

That game rocks.

Pretend the second game doesn't exist.

You don't see Kahn explode in MK3. The last you see of him souls are flying out of him then the building he's in disapears.

Kahn was gone in MK4. There's no mention of him except in the past tense. In DA we found out he was just weakened and forced back to Outworld. He worked to take back his power, but before he could get anywhere Quan Chi and Shang Tsung assassinated him.

I just downloaded the trailer for the new MK game and I must say it is looking very, very awesome indeed from what they have let us see. I espicially liked the cool stage fatality at the end involving two huge spiked-pillars that some poor soul loses his life in.

Wicked stuff.

UYI

Guest Adrian 3:16
Gavok's Plot FAQ at gamefaqs(just search for it in the MKDA section) is pretty cool. Anyone interested in an overview of the story should check it out. It's really detailed and accurate. There's only a few things I disagree with. I'm credited in it too!

I read that FAQ, its good stuff. But which parts did you disagree with, just out of curiousity?

The two big things are MK3 being a tournament and the status of Classic Sub-Zero. I think he has updated it addressing both.

He says Classic Sub-Zero in UMK3/MKT is the unmasked Sub's younger brother. Yet here is his ending...

"Having been killed in the first tournament, Sub-Zero somehow seems to

have emerged to win the third tournament. However, upon removing his mask

both the Outworld and the Earth-born warriors are shocked to discover the

true identity of this warrior. A warrior who has long been missing from a

previous Mortal Kombat, and one who will return in the fourth tournament."

Now, is it just me or is that quite clearly saying it is NOT the original Sub?

My interpratation is that it's saying "thought to have been the original Sub everyone is shocked when he takes off the mask and reveals himself to be someone else". I really don't see how it can be viewed as anything else quite frankley. I don't know who his real identity. Don't have a clue. My guess is John Tobias doesn't know either and just wrote the ending to be mysterious.

He also says this is non-canon. I don't see how. It was never mentioned in MK4 but that doesn't mean it's non canon. Kurtis Stryker hasn't been mentioned since then but that doesn't mean his existance is non-canon. They could always bring this Classic Sub-Zero thing up again if they wanted. I doubt they will and it will just go down as a dropped story, but that doesn't mean it's non canon. Unless they say otherwise, he was there, they've just never followed up on it.

He insists the events of MK3 where not a tournament. This contradicts a few endings(including the one I just posted, which clearly refers to it as "the third tournament"). If MK3 isn't a tournament why would it be called "the third tournament" in like 4 or so endings?

The definition of "tournament" is just a series of events that lead to a victor being declared. There doesn't have to be brackets like a traditional tournament. I think MK3 was much like the first movie, where they were just challenging each other. like how Shang challenges Sonya, Cage challenges Goro and at the end Liu challenges Shang to the final battle.

In other words, MK isn't really a "tournament" exactly (wonders where the hell Sakura gets that definition of the word) as it is "you play as _____, and beat the crap out out of most/all of the other fighters, battle the boss(es) and win the game to get an ending." Just like about every other one-on-one fighting game since Street Fighter.

There isn't any series of brackets set up elimination style where the last one standing wins like a real tournament, but rather you climb a ladder and progress towards the boss(es). You could pretend it is a real tournament...if there are are a bunch of other fighters in it that didn't make into the game, requiring that you win around 7-10 matches to win the game.

From dictionary.com

"Any contest of skill in which there are many contestants for championship; as, a chess tournament.

A series of contests in which a number of contestants compete and the one that prevails through the final round or that finishes with the best record is declared the winner."

MK and probably MK II are traditional tournaments with brackets and a bunch of other competitors you never see. There is some art for MK1 from Tobias' comic which shows a bunch of fighters with the main characters in front of them. It already takes 7-9 matches to beat the games though.

What bugs me about the old ladder battle plan style of one player game is that you always end up fighting people that should be on your side. Like if you're Shang Tsung in MKDA you end up killing Moloch, Quan Chi and yourself before getting your ending. That makes no sense!

What bugs me about the old ladder battle plan style of one player game is that you always end up fighting people that should be on your side. Like if you're Shang Tsung in MKDA you end up killing Moloch, Quan Chi and yourself before getting your ending. That makes no sense!

Well, the Mirror Match made some sense at least in MK, but there's no sensible explanation for it in most games when it is in arcade mode.

That's one of the great things about Street Fighter Alpha 1 and 2--midbosses and sub-bosses that make sense. (Well, Ken as Zangief's boss is kinda arbitrary, but mostly...). Even in Alpha 1, playing as Bison wouldn't cause you to fight yourself.

If theyre going to use normally selectable characters as bosses like they did in MK4 and DA they need to go with character specific bosses. They could at least make it so evil characters fight Raiden as boss and good fight whoever the villain is.

MK Online has confirmed that the red guy in the trailer is in fact Ermac.

That is...not cool. I hate him. Such a boring character, both in design and moves. God, I hope Noob isn't in.

MK Online has confirmed that the red guy in the trailer is in fact Ermac.

That is...not cool. I hate him. Such a boring character, both in design and moves. God, I hope Noob isn't in.

Anyone want to start taking bets on how many palette-swapped ninjas are going to be included in this game?

I'll say 7 males and 4 females.

They stopped doing that with MKT.

You can already see Ermac, Sub-Zero and Scorpion look nothing alike(besides being ninja-like).

I hate how in the past two games the subboss has been unplayable/hidden and the final boss has just been a reguarly playable character.

Why didn't they AT LEAST make Quan Chi and Shang Tsung hidden in MKDA? The game has like 9 different unlockable characters. Why not make Kitana and Raiden or whatever default and have them be unlockable in the Krypt? On the GBA version you fight them together in an endurance match and they are both hidden. Shang can also morph in it.

I am playing DA for Xbox now. I am one koffin away from unlocking all of them. I have bought every Koffin in the PS2 version and both GBA versions. Once I finish this for Xbox all I'll have left is all the koffins on the GC one. My goal is to have completely finished the krypt on every version before MK6 comes out. looks like I may do it. It's taken forever though...sooo many kofffins...