TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMann2003

The OAO Mystery Science Theater 3000 Thread

And to quote a certain gold robot- "I liked Willow"

"Really, Kevin Pollak, you liked that?"

Heheh, saw the Village of the Giants ep last week.

"Yea though I walk in the valley of the shadow of the breast...."

*after looking in first aid kit* "Clint drank all the alcohol."

"I blinded me with science."

"Chicks love big ducks, let's face it."

"First base is a lot larger than I remember"

"MOM?! NOOO!!"

"What thin could a duck commit in a thingle lifetime?"

Speaking of which, it seems Crow's taste often is questionable...

DBZ, MiSTed!

*bump!*

MST3K is one of the greatest programs of all time. I didn't get into it until after Joel left, yet I was only taping episodes where he hosted. I would go out of my way to not tape or watch anything hosted by Mike Nelson.

Later, I started getting my hands on whichever Mike episodes I could when I got bored with my 22 tapes of nothing but Joel as host.

I'm the only one I know who still can't finish Mitchell. I own the DVD, and have only watched it once in the three years I've had it.

-Ben

Mitchell is pretty hard to watch and to be honest I didn't like it at first. I do now, but I think if it hadn't been Joel's farewell show it would be far less remembered.

I've noticed sometimes when the experiment they would have for a show would be a little less memorable, they'll usually have something out of the ordinary happen in the host segs.

See also: Timmy during the Fire Maidens ep, the "Mirror, Mirror" parody during the Last of the Wild Horses ep, Krankor's return during the Invasion of the Neptune Men ep (which saved it for me, since the movie was really dogging that ep for me at that point), Mike's trial during the Agent for H.A.R.M. ep, and while it failed miserably, Pearl in the theatre for Quest of the Delta Knights.

*BUMP*

It's funny, I started this thread 7 months ago, and I still have the tapes and am only 1/3 of the way into season 3 with my dubbing (I do need to get back to that).

I just threw in "Earth vs the Spider", Season 3-5 were the pinnacle of excellence for the show.

I'm curious as to when everyone got into the show and what episode was it- For me it was the summer of 91. Back then our cable company split Comedy Central and Vh1 on the same channel, it was VH1 in the morning and CC in the later afternoon evening. Which turned out good because MST3K came on Saturdays at 7pm (and bad b/c Turkey Day marathons were cut in half). Anyway I used to cath SNL reruns at 9 on Saturdays and always saw "Mystery Science Theater 3000" in the TV guide being on from 7-9pm. I didn't know the premise of the show and I assumed it was some hybrid Science/Comedy show (like Bill Nye the science guy or Mr. Wizard). I was 12 at the time and one night I flipped the show on and it was the Pod People episode. I slowly caught on to what was happening and I got hooked. Since that night I've been a fan of the show ever since.

So now that I've given this thread a bump and a new theme, add your MSTories.

Guest Smues

I'd flip through tv and see it sometimes and wonder what it was. Finally gave it a watch one day, Gamera was the first episode I watched. Time of the Apes is what got me hooked. That and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

Will you buy me a golden globe then?

Why sure!

Anybody by the "Essential MST3K" dvd that came out a couple of months ago? Its got "Manos" and "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians On It."

Ziggy had Garfield nuetered? Now THAT'S funny!

I, how I could quote Manos all day long...

Mitchell is pretty hard to watch and to be honest I didn't like it at first. I do now, but I think if it hadn't been Joel's farewell show it would be far less remembered.

Bah! Mitchell has some great gags.

"What does he think I am, an acrobat?"

"AND, she's an acrobat, Jim!"

"Mistretta! and Gallano!"

"Here's a glass. I got em at Conoco. They've got Dick Butkus on em!"

Then there's that part where the gun falls down Mitchell's pants, and when they first cut to it, he's got this big bulge tumbling down from his crotch and Joel just goes "WHAT?!?!?" in this most appalled voice.

And the 3-M gags are too fucking much.

I'm curious as to when everyone got into the show and what episode was it

Around the time Beavis and Butthead caught in mid '93, my brother told me about a similar show (since BnB made fun of the music videos) on Comedy Central with this guy and a couple robots making fun of bad movies. He thought I would really like it. The only problem was Wichita's cable company did not have Comedy Central at the time (he was watching them at college in St Louis) and did not get it until May '95.

The first episode I saw was The Indestructable Man, which is fairly unremarkable to me in the big picture of MST now. The second episode I saw, which sealed the deal for me, was First Spaceship on Venus.

Ken: Rocky!

Crow: (high-pitched voice)Again?

(later)

(later)

Joel: STOP THAT!!!

(later)

(later)

Joel: STOP THAT!!!

I just got finished dubbing "Fugitive Alien"-

Ken- RITA!

All- METER-MAID!

Guest Cerebus
I see this is gonna turn into a MST Quote Thread like at WDI

Any problem with that?

Oh and:

Grizzled Prospector: McGreggor? Troy McGreggor? Thomas's son?

Troy: Yeah, did you know him?

Servo: Know him?? He was DELICIOUS!

Any problem with that?

My minor complaint is that a lot of the quotes other people seem to toss about are ones that I didn't really laugh at

Guest Cerebus

Did you laugh at this one?

Excuse me, is this the (Baratone voice) NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT TRAIN TO MUNDO FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!

I'll just individually repost some that I did at WDI, out of boredom

"Allright let's take roll...

Me? Here!

Ray? Dead!

Well, got that sorted out..."

Guest T®ITEC

I loved the singing in Day the Earth Froze. "Failure, failure, oh such a failure!..."

Well you guys can share your first MST experience if posting quotes gets old.

My dad discovered it while he was up late at night when my sister was a baby, so around late 1990, early 1991. He then told me about it, and I've been watching ever since.

I think MST3K is really just a brilliant show for so many reasons. It's really funny for almost anyone. Little kids think it's cool because the robots are cute, the villains are crazy, and they're talking in the movie theater like all the grown-ups say not to. Then as you get older you actually start to, you know, GET the references. The older you get, the more you learn, the more you listen to Frank Zappa, the closer you are to the Midwest, the funnier the show gets. You can catch something new with every viewing. Now yes, the later episodes did resort to cheap humor too often, but they were burned out, and missing a lot of the original contributing writers like Trace (Dr. F/Crow), Frank, Joel, and others. But still, MST3K is one of the best-written shows of the 1990s, and hopefully, its audience still keeps growing well after its eleven years.

EDIT: Watch out for snakes!

Guest Cerebus

The first episode I saw was Prince of Space and I knew, right there, that it was one of hte greatest and most original shows of all time. It had a good run.

We got CC on our cable system in the summer of '94, I think. I was flipping through one night and stopped on the Village of the Giants ep. I thought it was pretty funny, and I soon got hooked. What really got me sucked in was the Top 50 marathon they did one summer when they showed one episode every night at midnight for the whole summer.

Course, I didn't tape a single ep, so I have to rely on Rhino's releases to get the classics. I'm probably going to end up getting into trading my Sci-Fi era episodes for CC eps.

First episode I ever saw was Eegah!. Oddly enough, that's also the first one I ever got on DVD, as a Christmas gift four years ago.

I've got all the Rhino releases save for Volume 5 (A Sci-Fi era pack. Already have the eps on tape so I'm in no rush), and numerous Sci-Fi eps on tape. I also still have the original airing of Mitchell around the house on tape somewhere, since it was Joel's last episode and also one of the funniest.

The day the Essentials DVD came out, I had it with me at the coffee shop I hang/help out at, and popped it in the DVD player that the owner keeps there strictly for our use. Popped it in, my friends and customers got roped into "Manos" rather easily, and were dying laughing. Now Tuesdays went from "movie night" to "MST3K night" at the coffee shop. Awesome.

Guest Smues

Flagstaff: Family, Industry, foreign people talking in attics.

Help I'm falling at a 60 degree angle breaking all the laws of physicsssss

Gamera is really neat, Gamera is full of meat, we've been eating Gamera.

From Mitchell:

Mitchell: "Got the correct time?"

Servo: "Yeah, ten two...ten two your own damn business."

(a few seconds later, Mitchell shoots a suspect on a golf course)

Crow (in hushed tone):"...he's landed just short of the green..."

Course, I didn't tape a single ep, so I have to rely on Rhino's releases to get the classics. I'm probably going to end up getting into trading my Sci-Fi era episodes for CC eps.

Check eBay.

There's a few MST3K junkies who have burned entire seasons to DVD-R or DVD+Rs, and they've done a pretty good job of doing so, with some dealers even adding chapter breaks (and the occasional easter egg) into their discs.

I plan on upgrading my collection soon, to get the episodes I missed (a handful from the Joel years, and nearly every Mike episode...for some reason, I refused to watch the program after Nelson took over).

-Ben

First I ever saw was Spaceship on Venus while visiting my mother in Bennettsville. They had a small cable company there, but for some reason they had an insane number of channels, and broadcast channels from Los Angeles and Chicago (that wasn't WGN). In 1993 Charleston got Comedy Central and it was allllllll over.

I enjoyed Joel more because there were more pre-1980s references. Mike's years resorted to a lot of stuff from the mid-70s onward, as well as resorting to obvious gags too much.

My favorite episode has always been Wild Rebels, since I was 12.

Guest El Satanico
Course, I didn't tape a single ep, so I have to rely on Rhino's releases to get the classics.  I'm probably going to end up getting into trading my Sci-Fi era episodes for CC eps.

Check eBay.

There's a few MST3K junkies who have burned entire seasons to DVD-R or DVD+Rs, and they've done a pretty good job of doing so, with some dealers even adding chapter breaks (and the occasional easter egg) into their discs.

Just don't expect to get them for cheap. The entire seasons go pretty high.

Of course, that's to be expected from a show where most episodes will never be seen again.

Of course, that's to be expected from a show where most episodes will never be seen again.

Honestly for the better, IMO

As someone who has seen nearly all 188 episodes (discounting the local KTMA episodes, though I've seen ten of those), I'd say only about 20-30 are crucial must-see episodes.