TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Total Non-Stop Action

TNA Wrestling finally gets a videogame deal.

by Jon Robinson

October 25, 2005 - For the last couple of years, rumors have run rampant about a TNA videogame. First, EA looked to grab the license, but ultimately no agreement was reached. Next up was Rockstar, but TNA balked at the game ideas (you can't hit a wrestler with hot coffee!). Finally, sources now say that Midway has stepped up and signed TNA to an exclusive videogame deal, and it's no surprise as Viacom's Sumner Redstone has ties to both Spike (TNA's new home on TV) and the videogame publisher.

Word is that the game is in development for the PS2 and Xbox, and some wrestlers have already been brought in for initial motion-capture work.

It will be interesting what the creative minds at Midway have in store for TNA's innovative six-sided ring and matches like Ultimate X (wrestlers pulling moves off wires 15-feet above the ring) and Monster's Ball (thumbtacks, tables, and chairs…oh my!).

This isn't the first time Midway has stepped inside the squared-circle, but it has definitely been a while. Fans of wrestling games will remember that it was Midway who produced the extremely popular WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game. The game featured stars like Doink the Clown busting outrageous combos with his Circus Hammer, and The Undertaker would even smack you upside the head with a tombstone if you weren't careful. Wrestlemania was designed by members of the old NBA Jam team, and some of those designers, including Mark Turmell, still work for the Chicago publisher.

No word yet on when you might see stars like Jeff Jarrett, Abyss, Raven, AJ Styles and Samoa Joe turn polygonal, but IGN Sports will keep you up to date as soon as more information is revealed about this title.

Crossing my fingers that this game is actual wrestling and not Arcadey...

Guest Real F'n Show

I was REALLY hoping EA would get the liscense and use the Def Jam engine for this, but right now I'm happy they finally got a game. We'll have to wait to see how it turns out.

Guest Real F'n Show

Why not? The Def Jam series had great "pick up and play" gameplay, and the engine was great. Sure it was unrealistic at times, but it could've been tuned down a little.

I seriously doubt this game will be all that great with Midway at the helm, but at least it's not Acclaim...

Next up was Rockstar, but TNA balked at the game ideas (you can't hit a wrestler with hot coffee!).

Worst joke ever.

You know, while AKI would likely be the front runner to develop the game, EA by no means owns them and there would be no guarantee that they would develop it.

Anyway, EA has been awful the past few years in regards to business tactics and on the consumer side with stuff like Catwoman and Marvel Nemesis, and their previous WCW games left a lot to be desired. They really couldn't miss before that. I'm sure some would just rather not buy from them.

Next up was Rockstar, but TNA balked at the game ideas (you can't hit a wrestler with hot coffee!).

TELL THAT TO KANE & CHRIS JERICHO!

In all seriousness though, I'm really interested in seeing a TNA game. EA with an engine like Def Jam's would've been awesome.

Guest Coffey

This game isn't going to be any good for a magnitude of reasons. First attempt at a wrestling game by Midway? A new engine? An "unproven" roster (as far as games are concerned). It's a first attempt. Sad but true, it won't be very good.

I'm expecting a next-gen Anarchy Rulez.

Ouch.

I think it'll be better than Anarchy Rulz, but in whose eyes, it depends. I expect something a more serious than their typical game, but it'll still be too arcadey in a misguided attempt to capture the X Division properly. Sadly, I have visions of what the Smackdown series used to be on the PS1, but with the obvious stuff like a larger roster and more moves, and better impact and sensation, since Midway is at least good at getting that down.

And actually, they made the old Wrestlemania arcade game, but yeah, it may as well be their first.

Guest Evolution

I happen to know for a fact that his favorite wrestling game is Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 for N64.

But yeah, other than mentioning that he wants to bring back the game to the N64 days, that interview was pretty boring.

I'm going to have to hold out on opinions until some in-game footage is finally developed and unveiled. In the meantime, I'll add the obligatory "Revive the AKI Engine" post.

Revive the AKI Engine!

I actually think its already been annouced that AKI wasn't going to do the game but some other company was going to but if AJ Styles and Joe is involved, you better bet your ass they're going to promote the N64 type of wrestling games to whoever is producing the game. From what I understand those two loved those games.

If you thought the announcers on the WWE Playstation were bad...

:::every 5 seconds:::

"OH MY GOD DON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE HITS THE BIG CLOTHESLINE!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE CRAZIEST THING WE'VE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!! NO AJ, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!"

GameFAQs is saying that the Wii is also getting a TNA game. Same thing?

No doubt. They're not proven enough to warrant different versions on different consoles.

As for the AKI-type Engine... well, is the engine proprietary? If not then it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Midway to borrow from it.

If you thought the announcers on the WWE Playstation were bad...

:::every 5 seconds:::

"OH MY GOD DON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE HITS THE BIG CLOTHESLINE!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE CRAZIEST THING WE'VE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!! NO AJ, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!"

That's why commetary on any wrestling game I own always gets turned off. Talk about one feature I never wanted, and never will.

If it were made by EA, I would never buy it.

EA = trash...

EA produces, someone else will make the game. It'll just be under the EA name.

From: http://www.tnawrestling.com/news/fullnews2.php?all=1054

World Premiere Of The Midway / TNA Video Game Trailer

December 8th, 2006 12:36

Synopsis: Tune into the SpikeTV "Video Game Awards" this Wednesday night at 10pm ET for the world premiere of the Midway/TNA video game trailer! TNA star Kurt Angle will be on hand introduce the first-look at the anticipated video game release! The event will be hosted by Samuel L. Jackson and will also feature performances by Tenacious D and 50 Cent! Voting for the awards show is currently open at SpikeTV.com!

MIDWAY TO UNVEIL EXCLUSIVE TEASER TRAILER FOR TNA iMPACT! VIDEOGAME AT 2006 SPIKE TV VGAs

CHICAGO, IL – December 8, 2006 - Midway Games Inc., a leading interactive entertainment software publisher and developer, today announced that it will unveil the first teaser trailer for the upcoming TNA iMPACT! videogame at the 2006 Spike TV Video Game Awards on Wednesday, December 13 airing at 10PM ET.

The exclusive first look trailer will be introduced by TNA star Kurt Angle and will also be shown on Thursday, December 14 during an episode of TNA iMPACT! on Spike TV airing at 9PM ET. The teaser trailer will be available online at TNAwrestling.com that same evening, giving gamers a first look at the highly anticipated product. The TNA iMPACT! videogame is scheduled to ship in 2008 for next generation game systems.

Total Nonstop Action Wrestling is the future of pro wrestling. TNA iMPACT!™ airs exclusively on SpikeTV on TNA iMPACT airs Thursday nights at 9PM ET with a Saturday night replay at 11PM ET. In addition to the weekly show, TNA Wrestling also produces a monthly pay-per-view special where its top stars such as Kurt Angle, Sting, Samoa Joe, Christian Cage, and AJ Styles compete in, above and beyond the signature six-sided ring.

TNA iMPACT! is set to be the most complete wrestling videogame to date. Featuring top talent such as Samoa Joe, Kurt Angle, Abyss, AJ Styles, Rhino, Raven, Christian Cage and more, TNA iMPACT! will deliver all of the excitement and action of the top-rated weekly television show.

TNA Entertainment, LLC is a privately held company headquartered in Nashville,TN. TNA iMPACT! airs Thursday nights at 9PM ET on Spike TV. TNA programming is currently available in 118 countries and is also available on monthly pay-per-view on iN DEMAND, DIRECTV, Dish Network and TVN as well as Viewer’s Choice, Bell ExpressVu and Shaw PPV in Canada. The names of all Total Nonstop Action Wrestling televised programming, talent names, images, likenesses, slogans and all TNA Wrestling logos and trademarks are exclusive property of TNA Entertainment, LLC. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. For more information, visit www.tnawrestling.com.

Midway Games Inc. (NYSE:MWY), headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, with offices throughout the world, is a leading developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software for major videogame systems and personal computers. More information about Midway and its products can be found at www.midway.com.

TNA, TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION, and other TNA indicia used on or in this product are trademarks, copyrighted designs and other forms of intellectual property of TNA Entertainment, LLC and may not be used in whole or in part, without the prior written consent of TNA Entertainment, LLC. © 2005 TNA Entertainment, LLC. All rights reserved. Distributed under license by Midway Home Entertainment Inc. MIDWAY is a registered trademark of Midway Amusement Games, LLC. All other trademarks are the property of their respective companies. Midway has provided the www.tnawrestling.com link solely as a convenience for you. The information on this site has been prepared by third parties, and Midway does not monitor, endorse or accept responsibility for the content on non-Midway sites.

Guest Princess Leena

Midway? Blech.

The game will surely have lots of HARD HITZ and general WACKINESS.

I'm skeptical about Midway's involvement as well... and maybe it's naive to believe that AJ & Joe's involvement in development might make for a more sim-based game... but I'm at least crossing my fingers that it's not Mortal Kombat with Wrestlers.

Guest heilnims
It's by the same folks who once made Backyard Wrestling 1 and 2. It doesn't have a prayer of being good.

Plus Midways track record of wrestling games isnt that good. The prayer is accurate

Is there a special Vince Russo unlockable hard mode where there is a run-in every minute and WWF: In Your House is the game engine?

I dont watch TNA but Id be interested in how a wrestling game would control on the Wii

move left do a funny skit, move right do a shoot, push the nunchuk button to have Jeff Jarrett do a run in with the guitar.