TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

The Things That Anger You Thread.

Guest Smues

Prices for food and beverages at a sports event.

Nothing says rape like $4.50 for a slice of pepperoni pizza.

That and rape.

Or a Favre interception.

Prices for food and beverages at a sports event.

Nothing says rape like $4.50 for a slice of pepperoni pizza.

That and rape.

Or a Favre interception.

Fucking Wisconsin.

The price of booze at sporting events I don't have a problem with. The price of food and drink is well-founded. I couldn't get a hot dog and beer for under $10 at the Jays game I went to this year. Even a dog and cola was I think $8. That's too much.

Im gonna side with the Leena-Czech clan as well. While I don't work at Gamestop, I've worked in sales and retail enough to agree that a line needs to be drawn somewhere. When I telemarketed, I read verbatim for a while and sold a few. After I got into a niche, I re-worded it slightly and came off a little less robotic. I sold about the same. While that doesn't apply for a mystery shopper, Wal*Mart's mystery shopper is fine as long as you're polite and make an honest effort to help. For example: Eye contact is acceptable for the three metre rule, you're expected to introduce yourself on the phone but as long as you're polite and say your department, etc. As such, I think Gamestop could find a happy medium.

Guest Princess Leena

I've known a few people who've worked at Gamestop/EB, and if you don't pester people in the store, and don't sell enough certain things, they'll just fire you. It all depends on how bad the manager/owner is, though.

The straw that broke my back on Gamestop, though... was one store that would automatically add the $3 warranty on games. And this was when I was buying DC games which are mostly $1-5. Like I wouldn't notice.

Guest Felonies!

The clerk at the GameStop that made me quit video games looked, sounded, and acted exactly like ESPN College Gameday's Chris Fowler. It may have even been Chris Fowler himself.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
When there's a crosswalk every 15 feet in a fuckin' shopping plaza, and yet NO ONE will use them.

So lay on the horn and yell "outta my way you cocksucker, or I'll mash your kid."

Regarding Gamestop, etc., if they're not pushy with it I'll at least hear them out. If they bombard me as soon as I walk in or continue to push after I've said no to everything, then I get irritated. They're just doing their jobs up until that point, I sympathize.

Thankfully there are a couple independant stores around here that haven't gone by the wayside yet, so I try to support them on general principle.

Yeah, no one at my local Gamestop has ever been overly pushy, so I usually hear them out. Seriously, they would rather just be able to do their spiel and have you say no than have you flat out ignore them like their pond scum or be rude.

And honestly, if you're in there so much that you get annoyed by the spiel, maybe you should have that card they want you to have so badly :P

Guest Princess Leena

Those cards used to be a nice saver when EB had those Edge cards for $5. Save 10% on used games for a year. And you could use it online. But, now they only have it for $15 a year with that magazine, I think. No thanks.

I swear, I get all surley reading these stories about other posters here having bad EB experiances, and when I do wander into the EB around here looking for stuff, I get all ready to give them the three no's or whatever.

But do I get an opportunity?

No.

I was waiting for them to try to get me to preorder a game so I could ask when Okami was coming out. The manager didn't even know when it was coming.

:(

I have a few things that drive me nuts.

Children on an answering machine or answering the phone...I don't find either cute.

Answering machines saying, "I'll return your call at my earliest convenience." I hope I didn't spoil your day by returning my call you arrogant prick!

Going to a bar and/or dance club and getting ID'ed...I can live with that. But if I head out to the parking lot to get something from my car and getting re-ID'ed by the same bouncer that ID'ed me in the first place not more than a half-hour ago? I think I'm the same person that I was when I first walked in.

Guest Smues

People who go through the express line at the grocery store with 10 times more items then allowed piss me off. The fact that the cashier still lets them use that line is no fun either.

Going to a bar and/or dance club and getting ID'ed...I can live with that. But if I head out to the parking lot to get something from my car and getting re-ID'ed by the same bouncer that ID'ed me in the first place not more than a half-hour ago? I think I'm the same person that I was when I first walked in.

Bouncers, see at least 100 people per hour. You can't really expect him to remember everyone that he let in.

People who refer to Asians as "Chinese". Writing and to some extent language, I can't really tell apart, and I'll admit to not being an expert on telling a variety of Asian citizens apart, but there's a definite difference between say, Japanese and Viatnemese. Is saying "Asian" that hard? Sorry if I came off as holier than thou.

If I ask someone "Is today the 20th?" And they reply with "all day". That makes me insane.

People who go through the express line at the grocery store with 10 times more items then allowed piss me off. The fact that the cashier still lets them use that line is no fun either.

I hate it when a couple will divide their items up so they have less than ten each and go into the express lane together. This is especially irritating when I only have 15 minutes for my break, and 10 of my minutes are spent waiting in line behind those clowns.

Cyclists that ride on the sidewalk. They're a menace, both to pedestrians and drivers that don't expect them there. I nearly got into an accident with one a few years ago -- I was making a right-hand turn at a stop sign, and there was a building on my right blocking my view, so when I crept out to make my turn, the cyclist going full-speed down the sidewalk (on the wrong side of the road!) nearly went flying over my hood.

I guess I go to a special EB, the guys there are always very nice to me, they ask nicely if I want the protection plan or whatever, an are really cool about answering my sometimes odd questions.

Cyclists that ride on the sidewalk. They're a menace, both to pedestrians and drivers that don't expect them there. I nearly got into an accident with one a few years ago -- I was making a right-hand turn at a stop sign, and there was a building on my right blocking my view, so when I crept out to make my turn, the cyclist going full-speed down the sidewalk (on the wrong side of the road!) nearly went flying over my hood.

As someone who was a biker for many years I can tell you that if you are a pedestrian I am NOT going to hit you unless you do something stupid. I give people fair berth and people with dogs and kids four times as much. If you are just walking I may pass you by, I may even be close, but I am NOT going to hit you. Regarding the turning cars? You need to check but the biker has the responsability there.

what's funny is that people usually complain about cyclists riding on the streets (even though they are legally allowed to)

You're not kidding. People do all kinds of things to bikers on the street, from honking their horns to edging them off the road. Ditto FULLY LEGAL scooters going 25-30 mph. I did and still do have full legal right to bike along in the right (or only if only) lane going my fastest 20 mph. And if you think you can pass me on the left, do so. But honking at a biker is a great way to kill someone.

As someone who was a biker for many years I can tell you that if you are a pedestrian I am NOT going to hit you unless you do something stupid. I give people fair berth and people with dogs and kids four times as much. If you are just walking I may pass you by, I may even be close, but I am NOT going to hit you. Regarding the turning cars? You need to check but the biker has the responsability there.

Unfortunately, you're in the minority. People I see riding on the sidewalk are mainly teenagers that couldn't give a shit. Most others I've seen aren't nearly as conscientous as you obviously are.

Even worse are the cyclists who ride on the sidewalk when there are marked bike lanes on the road. I see that all the time here at work. Ottawa is really good about having a lot of bike lanes and separate bike paths.

Marked bike lanes are fine and good if people don't use them as wider right lanes.

You need to realize that for every single complaint you have about bikers, you've got 10 or 20 shitty drivers out there who are MUCH more likely to hurt you.

Get your anger priorities straight.

Yeah, its probably illegal to do so here in Maryland, USA also.

But.

It is suicidal to bike on the streets here, for the most part. So, until I get a fat enough ticket to warrent it, I'll be on the sidewalks, thanks.

Also, sidewalks are generally in fantastic shape compared to streets. I have shocks, sure, but potholes *suck* on bikes.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

How hard do you think it would be to counterfeit a handicap tag so I can get decent parking?

Guest Felonies!
People who refer to Asians as "Chinese". Writing and to some extent language, I can't really tell apart, and I'll admit to not being an expert on telling a variety of Asian citizens apart, but there's a definite difference between say, Japanese and Viatnemese. Is saying "Asian" that hard? Sorry if I came off as holier than thou.

Why is Oriental considered so offensive? It just means "eastern," its antonym being "occidental," and I don't think of it as really having any sinister connotations. I think it's an acceptable catch-all for Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans; inclusion of Cambodian, Thai, Vietnamese, and Burmese may vary. "Asians" isn't all that clear considering we're just talking about the biggest continent on the planet, and yet "Asian" has become the exclusive acceptable term for the aforementioned, totally disregarding the Indian subcontinent, Siberia, the Middle East, the Trans-Caucasian states, and Turkestan, which are just as much a part of Asia as the Big 3, so to speak. I think the ideal solution is to just be as specific as possible, which "Asian" can never be.

As for discerning one ethnicity from another, I've noticed that Japanese names tend to be more polysyllabic than Chinese; compare Shigeru Miyamoto to Yao Ming. This is hardly the rule, of course. Thai names appear vaguely subcontinental, and tend to be fairly long, such as Paradorn Srichaphan. Vietnamese names seem to come in threes and are decorated with diacritics you've never seen in your life. Burmese names are one word and anything added to that is simply an honorific, see U Thant.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't think so. At least not around here. Most of what I see is just the blue tag thing on the rear-view, and if I back into the space, the subterfuge probably wouldn't sink in enough for anyone to give it a second look.

Probably pretty tough. Don't you have to have handicap plates, too?

Nope, you just need the blue thing that hangs from the rear view window. My Dad has one that I occassionally borrow when I go to a concert or whatever and want close parking.