DrVenkman PhD
Members-
Posts
9713 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD
-
Eh, part of that was me being silly and going along with Matt Young's "OMG TEH PIT HATEZ US" thing, but the rest was just "I don't get it, what am I doing wrong?" stuff. Honestly man, that thread was actually pretty funny. Y'all seem like a good group of people (based on that sample thread) - a small group of people that enjoys discussing the goings on of the forum while taking the time to mock what's wrong elsewhere. Shit, if only TSM had some sort of group - or perhaps even clique - of posters like that. Surely THEY wouldn't get the brunt of TSM hate, would they?! I guess that's my real issue. People here will say "why does anyone post at The Pit?" and people there will ask the reverse. Isn't the answer the same for both? That it's a community of posters that someone has decided "you know, I think I care what these people think of my thoughts - I'm going to share them and hope for some interesting discussion!". I don't know, maybe I'm just looking at the black and white of the issue instead of the Shades of Gray.
-
It's probably really sad, but I consider myself Mr. WWE 24/7 around these forum. I KNOW who Leena is talking about when she decries the area of the board as masturbatory since 1. She can't seem to stand al 2. She's called me a good poster on a few occasions for God knows what reason, but as the heart and soul of the 24/7 area I thought it was being unfairly criticized. I've never once considered that thread - and no sub-folder - as a way to have conversation by excluding the unwanted. ANYONE can chime in. I just really enjoy talking about nostalgia and the fine programming on 24/7 - if you and The Pit think people above me have some masturbatory political reasoning behind the threads, fine, but god damnit Lushus, I fucking love that area of the forum for the passionate discussion of the days of old, regardless of what The Pit thinks.
-
I seem to recall reading old Usenet posts that said Savage was on commentary by choice due to nagging injuries.
-
Wow you're good. I thought I was way too vague.
-
I really wish I didn't read the first 7 pages of that thread (though I plan to keep going). I feel like BL has put a knife right through me. Edit: Jingus confusing "Worst President" with "Worst Poster" was quite amusing.
-
RonL21
-
I bought a creme egg in the States on Saturday with some sort of orange flavour syrup injected into the mix - it was pretty good but way too sweet. What can you do though? I saw a new restaurant downtown called "Aladdin's" with the Disney Genie on their sign as well as the same design for the lamp and basically the same text font. I SO want to be an ass and snap a photo of it to send to Disney, but then I'm not a big fan of corporate machines either... except when I am. Conflicted! It's kind of like this place called "Quick Subs" that opened where a Quiznos once was - they didn't take the trademarked "Q" design that was in the store as a neon light down and kept it lit as their own. I wrote a scathing facebook note about it and then it was gone a week later (though I doubt the two are related in any way).
-
My Mania party is looking like a dud with no one being able to make it due to work or family commitments, but I'm hopeful I can get at least ONE person over. At the very least I just won $300 on a road trip stopover in Indiana so I have the price of the show covered. Meltzer reported the MITB preview is actually a 4-way. Did he mis-read the preview or has it changed? (WWE.com loads oddly at work so I can't conveniently check). Hopefully they have a good send-off show. And not to nitpick (actually, I guess ENTIRELY to nitpick because I'm a wet blanket, I've been told), but the Road to WrestleMania ends at WrestleMania, not Raw.
-
Sounds like Scroty.
-
Sounds like JN News to me but I'm going to make my official guess... Black Lushus.
-
I have KOTR 94 taped off of PPV with the pre-show and Savage's insane rants about predicting the brackets are pretty entertaining. And who doesn't love the commentary team of Savage, Monsoon, and Art Donovan!? Savage had quite the WrestleMania rollercoaster of highs and lows. I would consider Mania 2 fairly neutral - it's a terrible match but part of an angle the folks enjoyed and he was IC champion. Mania III continues uphill as he has a classic match, he reaches the top at Mania IV with his tournament win. Mania V is that part where the coaster gets to the top and doesn't move as he's still world champ in the main event, then bam, he's at the bottom of the hill wrestling (and losing) to Dusty Rhodes in mixed tag action. He gets a more prominent role at VII, wins the title at VIII... then does COMMENTARY a year later? Wacky. Then he's wrestling again at Mania X! I think when I was younger I thought Savage vs. Lawler was going to happen at Mania IX - I wasn't seeing Raw at this point but I knew they were always at each other on Superstars commentary.
-
I don't know, I find Bobby plays off of him well. On the subject of Mania commentary teams, it amuses me how many times Lawler gets Vince to break and laugh at his jokes at Mania XI.
-
I'm technically listed as a good and bad poster by MVP.
-
I forgot I posted that picture. My eyebrows (eyebrow) received quite the mocking. Fun stuff though.
-
An example of facts cheech wants: Bank account number, mother's maiden name, SIN ("Social Insurance Number" - I'm blanking on the US equivalent of this), pet's name, etc. Sounds like an identity theft scam! Seriously though I'm interested to see how this works out.
-
Wrestling wise, and of course like most people I say this without seeing every PPV in the history of the universe, the worst PPV HAS to be Heroes of Wrestling. I have the Observer that reviewed that show and it's hilarious - but that's just it, the show is hilarious. KOTR 95 is not funny - not ironically, not unintentionally, not at all. It's bad wrestling with bad booking and it almost ruined wrestling for me. I actually would cite surviving KOTR 95 to people as a reason I had no problems watching wrestling in 2003. I figure in-ring wise (we're not going to start that whole "2007 had the Benoit thing but 2003 was still worse" crap again) nothing will ever be worse than 1995. WrestleMania IX is a show I used to defend a lot (a fellow named humanoid92 did a pretty good rant about why the show isn't all that bad last year around this time, not sure where he went) but lately, not so much. Is it because it's the first Mania I ordered and watched with friends at my house? Is it the outdoor setting? Is it my love of the Heenan / Ross / Savage announce team? I don't know. I never actively dread reaching this show on my Mania run, something I can't say for XI (which wrestling wise is probably much better than IX), 13 (again, Austin/Hart is awesome, but the show overall stinks), or XV (which I just watched before going out of town on Thursday - still awful, cabbage). I do like a lot of the points bob brought up about the booking of the show and the corners they were in - very good points there, sir. I actually enjoy the Perfect / Lex match. Maybe it's the missile dropkick spot though, I don't know. Perfect seemed to be doing his best with ol Lex and I thought the result was quite passable.
-
Cogeco here STILL has the wrong time listed for Mania. I'm going to have to speak to someone on the phone and openly discuss with another human being that I want to order a wrestling program. Damnit.
-
So is this Ken Shamrock's 12th theme or so, or is it just so generic I don't recognize it when I hear it again? I'm not positive (and I hope it's not the case) but the theme on this episode had a hint of the "dubbed over theme" sound quality to it - I hope they didn't lose the rights to "The Ultimate" because I love that theme and thought he was using it by now. Not a HUGE loss or anything, but we'll see. Speaking of Shamrock, this is the episode I was waiting for since I first heard Vince hyping up UFC - I distinctly remembered a bit of commentary where Vince put over how no one has ever died in UFC but boxing AND wrestling can't say the same, but as Ken had been around for some time now I thought maybe that was one of those things I imagined. Well, there it was - Vince McMahon, on a program being rebroadcast in 2008, talking about UFC falling on hard times due to the ignorance of people trying to get it banned. It's just funny to me.
-
Not 100% sure but I seem to recall hearing about WBF being a deal where under the terms of Lex leaving WCW, Luger couldn't actually wrestle for Vince but there was nothing stopping him from being contracted to be a bodybuilder.
-
Val Venis and William Regal are also a WWE title away from it. The wikipedia article on the WWE Grand Slam is pretty good.
-
My cousin and I watched KOTR 95 at a local tavern and that was the end of it. He had never really shown any declining interest in wrestling, but some people who were there for unrelated reasons to watching wrestling were not fans of it and somehow my cousin took it to heart and began complaining about how awful everything was and walked out. A friend I was with was also pretty unhappy with the show and we ended up leaving, but it really strained the "friends and family that will watch wrestling" deals I had going. My cousin called and asked me why Undertaker was wearing a mask when the cable company here accidentally showed the Rumble 96 encore for free as an isolated incident and then pretty much wrote off wrestling until the Attitude boom of 1998 when he fully embraced both WWE and WCW (big Wolfpac fan). This worked out well for me as he had a grey market DirecTV hook-up with free PPVs and he stayed interested until about 2001. So yeah, KOTR 95 is the worst show ever.
-
I didn't realize The Headshrinkers were undefeated heading into Mania until seeing Challenge. On the topic of the pre-Mania Challenge, Real American now has competition from the WrestleMania music video as "cheesiest wrestling music video ever shown on 24/7". Who will survive!?
-
The "Vent about not having Program X on 24/7" Thread
DrVenkman PhD replied to EVIL~! alkeiper's topic in WWE Multimedia
When I've had shows with wonky times (good example would be when MNWs were still combined and running about 3 hours but be listed as "8 minutes") they will stop before it's done, but hitting "resume program" causes it to pick back up. It's annoying when it happens, but it gets through the whole thing. -
I think going forward, the idea will be to keep him in non-wrestling segments but still edit out his matches.
-
WWE 24/7 Classics OnDemand General Discussion
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Good news for Canadian subscribers like 10 Pounds and I: The description I have for Wrestling Challenge is clearly intended for Armageddon. That would imply that, to go along with finally getting a PYBO and LOW show, we're set to get recent PPVs again too.